JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited July 2012

I think you've got it Scott. With his left leg on that angle he's either going to spin to catch his balance or fall.. but that can be a creative subtlety to provoke a wanted tension in the viewer. And for the purposes of this render, I think his expression looks fine :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

help this is my first time doing this i am having i bit of trouble with the right foot, and i know i still have a lot do to, but how can i fix that back foot

walk2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 234K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2012

chohole said:
    Yeah, it's great to see people join in and give the New Users encouragement, and why not do it by showing what you can do. It is certainly looking good.

We never object to NAEs

Well my theory is that we are always learning and just reading these threads, I'm still finding useful information.
    But tonight I really learned something that I really should have figured out by now...

... If you're going out, save your work before you leave, because when you get home, if there's been a power cut, your work will be lost and your time will have been wasted.
    As a result of this set back, I'm going to have to start again from scratch... hopefully tomorrow I'll have time.... [grumbles some swear words about the power company!!!!]

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Tip: TheSavage64 if you just wish to show the POSE the grey Genesis is fine to upload for that purpose.

Who is this Genesis of which you speak? :)

Of course I know who Genesis is, but that's just plain old V4.2 and I'm using Poser which from what I've read, isn't the best medium for Genesis... but thanks anyway. :)
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2012

Ouch! Sorry to hear that...

Edited to add: of course this was in response to the previous post about the power outage!

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited July 2012

help this is my first time doing this i am having i bit of trouble with the right foot, and i know i still have a lot do to, but how can i fix that back foot

Well the back foot is the left foot for starters ;)

The back foot has a higher heel then you have so that's a big part of the problem with it. You would want to point the foot more, then bend the toes up. The toes aren't bent flat to the ground at the moment in your pose so just doing that would bring the foot closer to the desired position. What might be confusing is that the ball of the foot and toes are referred to as toes. The 'right' foot is also pointed a bit more.

I just noticed something else which you might be having problems with. The back leg has an arch to it. I don't think you can simulate that without turning off limits and bending the leg in an unnatural direction, however some muscle adjustment to the calf will help.

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks for the info gedd i told you this is new to me but you are correct i should know my right from my left ill get it right next time

edited December 1969

OK, here we go again...

Unluckily, a powercut last night wiped out my Poser document that I didn't save at any point.
    Luckily, I'm an insomniac so I've sat up all night recreating it. :)

This version is still not complete but I've fixed the right hand now. Still got to sort the left hand out.
    I've also put some very basic and roughly made stockings on her, which are too short compared to the original, but as the seam in the leg is at that position, it was just easier and on it's own, doesn't look wrong. I've also put some less intrusive and more in keeping clothing on her and a pair of shoes (I made them pink to match the outfit). I still have to see if I can get my head around making some long gloves for her (as a second skin like I did with the stockings).

Onwards and upwards... as they say. :)

Betty-Page-MKII.jpg
    740 x 679 - 171K
    betty17.jpg
    301 x 480 - 43K
    edited December 1969

Very Nice Savage :)

edited December 1969

... this is new to me...

Don't be fooled by my willingness to jump in and throw out my opinion, this is new to me too. I probably should have put in that disclaimer a long time ago ;p

I tried your pose and below is an image of the back foot. There is an S curve to the back leg that I don't believe you can get in the software, which points out that doing these poses are more about the 'feeling' of the pose imo then exactly matching it. I think you've done a great job at that, Tweeking the hands and feet is all it really needs.
    FA_01.jpg
    473 x 500 - 12K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Actually, I think the left leg isn't viewed completely in profile. It's kind of hard to see with the reference image blocked, but I think the thigh should be turned slightly towards the camera, the rest of the leg will follow. Also, as Gedd pointed out, you may not get the exact look you want as it's an exaggerated female form.

edited July 2012

My latest...finished working on the pose (I think...and that doesn't include the facial expression), and started putting the scene together. Lantios Lights 2 really makes the whole thing pop. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

As far as the pose is concerned, it's definitely closer to balanced now, and I've also tried to make it more dynamic-looking, as if he's in the midst of turning around.

I must have missed this one earlier. Did you have a reference image? Looks very dynamic. I think the lighting has that nice outdoorsy look to it.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

s 64 - please fix the face - looks like a spook one

• squirrelvidssquirrelvids Posts: 11
    edited July 2012

Hey all,
    I'm going for a second entry in the contest and this one I REALLY need help with lol. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get her right hand to rest on her hip like in the model's pose. The arm just won't move. Any suggestions... I'm stumped!

Any feedback on my WIP, would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

Edit: Fixed the skin tone so that it didn't look like she had see through clothes :P

zartika_wip.jpeg
    401 x 1266 - 216K
    Post edited by squirrelvids on
    edited July 2012

Hey all,
    I'm going for a second entry in the contest and this one I REALLY need help with lol. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get her right hand to rest on her hip like in the model's pose. The arm just won't move. Any suggestions... I'm stumped!

Cheers!

Edit: Although I'm not sure it looks like it because the fabric is the same color as her skin, my figure is also fully clothed.

I think you need to hunch the right shoulder up a bit to get the hand on hip look right, and maybe turn the elbow out towards the camera a bit. I think in your image the arm is closer to straight back.

Edited to add that upon closer inspection the torso on your model is longer, and to solve this, you could move the hand on the hip up a degree or two.

I worked on this last night and finally got close to what I wanted, but I had to really study the pose. Keep at it, you'll get where you want to go!

MOnroe-Pool.jpg
    600 x 800 - 208K
    marilyn-monroe-55-lancastria.jpg
    355 x 480 - 28K
    edited December 1969

I think you need to hunch the right shoulder up a bit to get the hand on hip look right, and maybe turn the elbow out towards the camera a bit. I think in your image the arm is closer to straight back.

I worked on this last night and finally got close to what I wanted, but I had to really study the pose.

Thanks EvilP, I will give that a go. By the way, the lighting in your scene is amazing (not to mention the pose)!

edited December 1969

Thanks! The hair gave me fits. I wanted to use dynamic, but couldn't get what I wanted. I finally used figure hair. I may revisit it once I've had more practice with hair.

BTW, I updated my previous post with one other thought that may help you. Good luck!

edited July 2012

bigh said:
    s 64 - please fix the face - looks like a spook one

Did you mean Spock? :)
    That'll be the Betty Page fringe adding to the effect.

Yes, I'm working on the face at the moment. I've also been struggling with her left arm as it just doesn't look natural in the one posted on the previous page. But getting it into a position that looks natural and still looks like the reference pic is proving a tad difficult.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited July 2012

Don't beat yourself up too much. Your problems with the arm may have more to do with your reference than how you're posing. It's clearly an idealized version of Bettie Page. For instance, look how ridiculously small her feet are in the reference picture. There's more of Jessica Rabbit in the reference than of Bettie Page.

edited December 1969

Evilp, your tip about moving the arm back did the trick! Once I did that, the forearm went where I wanted it :)

*happy dance*

zartika_wip.jpeg
    401 x 1266 - 212K
    edited December 1969

I'm glad I could help out! Good luck!

edited December 1969

Hey all,

Her right shoulder needs to go up a bit, if you take it up at the 'collar' instead of the shoulder, that'll maybe look more natural.
    Maybe also try raising the collar of her left arm too, then you can lower the shoulder back into the desired position as it looks a bit odd as it is. On your reference pic, the model's hair covers that area, so you could also add hair that covers that area and get away with it.

The other thing (apart from what evilproducer has suggested), is that I think she needs turning anti-clockwuse on her Y axis a few degrees, but then add a few degrees clockwise twist to her abdomen, that should help to get her right arm to match better, but you may then need to twist the right leg at the shin to get her foot back into position. Doing this will also help to get her left foot to be hidden behind her right leg.

Hope this helps. :)

edited December 1969

Her right shoulder needs to go up a bit, if you take it up at the 'collar' instead of the shoulder, that'll maybe look more natural.
    Maybe also try raising the collar of her left arm too, then you can lower the shoulder back into the desired position as it looks a bit odd as it is. On your reference pic, the model's hair covers that area, so you could also add hair that covers that area and get away with it.

The other thing (apart from what evilproducer has suggested), is that I think she needs turning anti-clockwuse on her Y axis a few degrees, but then add a few degrees clockwise twist to her abdomen, that should help to get her right arm to match better, but you may then need to twist the right leg at the shin to get her foot back into position. Doing this will also help to get her left foot to be hidden behind her right leg.

Definitely! I tweaked a little bit more and here is the result. Thanks for the tips!

zartika_wip.jpeg
    401 x 1302 - 214K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

ok last draft, will make a few more changes if someone sees anything needing changing, then submit it

Frank and Scott have right you need to bend the Abdomen 2 and the chest a bit, this way (
    For the rest it looks very good. Good job :-)
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

I think it looks great. The only thing I can see that could use a bit of adjustment is the left hand. It doesn't seem to flow properly along side of the face. Other than that I think your pretty much spot on.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Definitely! I tweaked a little bit more and here is the result. Thanks for the tips!

Looks very good you need to fix a few things.
    You’re arm in the back is not quite right, it is too far to the back
    The hand in the example is by the cheeks not by the ear you’re hand is by the ear.
    The figure in the example is standing on her tiptoe (high heel shoes)

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I think it looks great. The only thing I can see that could use a bit of adjustment is the left hand. It doesn't seem to flow properly along side of the face. Other than that I think your pretty much spot on.

I agree. Spot on. Not sure there's much more to do.

I do think the issue you mention with the hand is that squirrelvids is using a model that has less hair than the reference picture. What makes it look off I think is that the background is visible through the fingers. It would be in the reference image as well, if it weren't for the hair. Perhaps a darker or busier background. Perhaps something other than white.

edited July 2012

No, the left had is off. She is brushing her cheek almost with her index finger, and all of the fingers are closer together. The Thumb is also straighter. Hands are very iconic for these pinups so they need special attention if one is trying to get the specifics of the pose. Having said that, perhaps one 'wants' the hands different. It really depends on what you as an artist are trying to achieve.

Another note, the hips are facing almost planer with the right on the original but the pose has a twist, and yes the right hand is a bit forward if you can get it there. The twists and angles are also iconic in pinups. They create lines and curves that direct the eye.

In general, everything else looks good. The head angle and eyes look good, the rest of the body position looks good. Oh, if you change the hips, try doing it without changing the position and angle towards the camera of the upper body as it is spot on right now.

Last note, the upper body has more push out in the chest area, but that again is not necessary for the pose unless you are trying to mimic that, which if you are doing it for this character I wouldn't...

Which brings up a good point. If our character differs from the one we are using for reference, a lot of the things in the pose don't necessarily relate the the character we are using. We have to decide what to take from the reference image and what to match to the 'energy' of the character we have.

Disclaimer: all of my comments are of my own view. The judges of the contest may differ widely from my viewpoints. All I can say is good luck and it's each our own pose in the end :)

edited July 2012

A quick note about twists and bends. These typically create tension, and tension = energy. If we like a pose but want to relax it's feel we often want to soften the twists and bends. The reverse is of course also true, we can take a relaxed pose and give it energy by increasing some of the angles of some of the twists and bends.

We can combine these to create a flow of energy in the image as in the picture above where the twist of the mid section creates some energy and the grazing of the finger at the cheek gives softness. The two play off each other.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    No, the left had is off. She is brushing her cheek almost with her index finger, and all of the fingers are closer together. The Thumb is also straighter. Hands are very iconic for these pinups so they need special attention if one is trying to get the specifics of the pose. Having said that, perhaps one 'wants' the hands different. It really depends on what you as an artist are trying to achieve.

Another note, the hips are facing almost planer with the right on the original but the pose has a twist, and yes the right hand is a bit forward if you can get it there. The twists and angles are also iconic in pinups. They create lines and curves that direct the eye.

In general, everything else looks good. The head angle and eyes look good, the rest of the body position looks good. Oh, if you change the hips, try doing it without changing the position and angle towards the camera of the upper body as it is spot on right now.

Last note, the upper body has more push out in the chest area, but that again is not necessary for the pose unless you are trying to mimic that, which if you are doing it for this character I wouldn't...

Which brings up a good point. If our character differs from the one we are using for reference, a lot of the things in the pose don't necessarily relate the the character we are using. We have to decide what to take from the reference image and what to match to the 'energy' of the character we have.

Disclaimer: all of my comments are of my own view. The judges of the contest may differ widely from my viewpoints. All I can say is good luck and it's each our own pose in the end :)

It doesn't have to be spot on to the reference photo. You are allowed creative liberty.