Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2020
    Chohole said:

Colorado has asked that older people to avoid going into the mountains, not only due to limited healthcare facilities, but one of the things everyone has to deal with, the higher elevation is dryer air and it is harder to breathe. Makes sense. 

Do they qualify what they mean by mountains,  height  wise?   as a good many people do actually already live in mountainous regions.   Just interested,  our highest mountina in this area is Pen y Fan   which is 886m (2.907 ft).  I live in the southern foothills of the range at 1200ft.

@Chohole, I live in Denver, which is known as the 'Mile High City' and many Olympians and professional sports teams come from all over the world to Colorado to practice to improve their breathing and endurance. It is normally very dry and we have to adjust all recipes for baking. I visited Georgetown, and had to buy a hat to protect my eyes because the sun is so much closer. Glare is a problem. Headaches as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_highest_major_summits_of_Colorado

That give a great list of the mountains, with measurements in meters. So many folks talk about climbing 'Fourteeners' which are the mountains over 14,000 feet. Which does require a lot of practice. Denver is considered almost outside of the 'foothills' of the Rockies at 5280 feet and slopes into the beginning of the MidWestern plains.

Ci Pwff looks so cute! I love his picture.

Mary

heh   makes our mountains seem like hills. I love the names of some of those mountains   and the mountain ranges as well when it's one called Rabbit Ears range   and   Sleepy Cat peak.

and yes Ci Pwff is so lovely

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited March 2020

In this piece we have has Tsukiko for Aiko 5 and David 5 (mixed with the Hiro 5 head for a more "anime" look), both wearing the FutureCop outfit. David is also wearing Wilmap's free Combt shirt. and Tsukiko has The Radiant Jaguar Hair. They're standing in front of Porsimo's LRV (third down, with Addon pack 4th down). 

Partners.jpg
    7120 x 4000 - 7M
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,729

Tramp Graphics, that is a great picture and the composition puts the focus on the characters.

Thanks for highlighting Wilmap's combat shirt. I missed that one. Just finished raiding her store again for more great products. Her G2M items are wonderful. Not sure how I missed them before. And she even has shaders for camouflage netting! I don't think I have seen that type before. Also, thanks for the hair, I have wishlisted it and the Future cop outfit for the next time the items are on sale. 

Mary

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404

In this piece we have has Tsukiko for Aiko 5 and David 5 (mixed with the Hiro 5 head for a more "anime" look), both wearing the FutureCop outfit. David is also wearing Wilmap's free Combt shirt. They're standing in front of Porsimo's LRV (third down, with Addon pack 4th down). 

Tramp Graphics, that is a great picture and the composition puts the focus on the characters.

Thanks for highlighting Wilmap's combat shirt. I missed that one. Just finished raiding her store again for more great products. Her G2M items are wonderful. Not sure how I missed them before. And she even has shaders for camouflage netting! I don't think I have seen that type before. Also, thanks for the hair, I have wishlisted it and the Future cop outfit for the next time the items are on sale. 

Mary

They're part of the Classics Bundle for Genesis currently part of the DAZ Bi-Weekly Freebies. 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

No skype, these folks are all in the specialized care unit and some don't even know where they are. Mom is still really sharp as are a few of them, and I imagine families will visit outside their patio doors just like I plan to do. Fortunately, since Mom is so "with it" a nurse named Scottie usually does her work (looking at charts, etc)  in Mom's room and chats with her. She's there all weekend and Mondays. :) 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2020

Mary

@memcneil70, The Future Cop is in the Classics Bundle for Genesis, currently a weekly freebie. No need to wishlist and wait…

ETA: So is the Radiant Jaguar Hair!

Post edited by L'Adair on

Went right there TrampGraphics and L'Adair and going to pull the trigger! That is one bundle I only have one item already, Mauraders.  Totally thank you both.

My flatmate suggested a group computer game, that is played online. I am not into RPG or computer games or board/card games even, so I don't know. But Novica, I bet you or your sons would have knowledge of one that could be played freely maybe? 

I know that my father got totally into one of the earliest Apple computers and stayed heavily into them until he died at 80. So the residents might be able to use online resources or apps to stay in contact with family if they are cognizant of things.

Mary

I have downloaded and I have a bigger thank you for you both, a product that is not available on its own, Cuban Diabolo for Genesis, is availble in the bundle still. Those shoes look sweet.

Mary

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

Great what you can do with tech and a bit of imagination.

When my late father went into a home he was very deaf and had difficulty communicating even though he was still mostly with it. We got a tablet and a speech-to-text app and it was great: he could just read what people were saying. The people at the home didn't know such things could be done so easily.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I have downloaded and I have a bigger thank you for you both, a product that is not available on its own, Cuban Diabolo for Genesis, is availble in the bundle still. Those shoes look sweet.

Mary

Happy to help!

(I'm delighted on your behalf. Have fun, and be sure and show us what you come up with!)

JackBox and using an online streaming service like Mixer or Twitch (have to check and see if that has a 15 second delay or if there's a way around it.)  From what my sons just told me, the person who owns the game (it's not free, but we're talking $15 or less I think) has to set up the room for everyone to play and then the players enter the room code on THEIR PHONE. Yep, you play via phone. We did it last time the boys were here and they have a mini game one that is hilarious. One person gets a "type any word" on their phone, while the other three get an actual question. Then the question is revealed and you have to guess who said what. Hopefully your answer fits if you were the operating in the blind person! 

My husband had put "grease" and the question was, "Something you'd love to take a bath in." 

One on the computer is Armello which is a Game of Thrones with animals and cards. You get it on Steam for $20-$40  (am on the phone with my son right now, you can get it on sale on Steam if you are just patient.) 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

If you both have an Amazon Echo Show, that's a great way to communicate and you can check in on her at any time if she keeps the camera on. Also with VR headsets you can play games together, go on virtual rollercoasters and even watch movies together or invite her to your Oculus room or house in Alt VR. She might need someone to help with the basics and setting up an avatar, but after that it's easy. I think by the time my generation is in senior homes, VR will be the main form of entertainment because already there is so much to do and see, you can travel all over the world, go to museums, concerts, pretty much anything as if you're really there and you don't feel trapped in a small room or hospital bed.

I think VR will help a lot of people with isolation because of the Coronavirus now too. Theoretically, rather than cancel, bands could do concerts and charge people to attend in VR and it almost feels real as you are in the audience with other people, seeing their avatars and you can also view the concert from anywhere, even on stage. All TV shows that are cancelling their live shows could film in VR in real time and get audience laughter and participation. For exercise you can play tennis, ping pong, basketball or whatever with others, watch streaming media on big virtual screens... I'm obsessed with VR! I wish we could go inside Daz scenes in VR! 

@Wonderland, while I don't have any VR experience, I think you have a great idea. And another use for the political season would be town halls and the conventions. Log in, see and communicate with the candidates and listen to their pitch. Discuss with others in a virtual room the issues you are concerned with. Of course, that might be still ten years down the road for tech.

edited March 2020

@Wonderland, while I don't have any VR experience, I think you have a great idea. And another use for the political season would be town halls and the conventions. Log in, see and communicate with the candidates and listen to their pitch. Discuss with others in a virtual room the issues you are concerned with. Of course, that might be still ten years down the road for tech.

It's already possible in apps like Altspace VR (FREE app) and other apps. Oculus should do a massive sale on their Go & Gear headsets (although they are not prohibitively expensive to begin with.) 

Post edited by Wonderland on

Actual question about today's sale. Did anyone get this? https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--realistic-landscape-system It looks really interesting and I'd love to see renders and reviews if anyone got it.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Actual question about today's sale. Did anyone get this? https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--realistic-landscape-system It looks really interesting and I'd love to see renders and reviews if anyone got it.

Answered in the other thread. The short version: it's great smiley

Nath said:

Answered in the other thread. The short version: it's great smiley

Yes, thanks, found the other thread. It's in my cart now. Now I'm debating whether to get the tree product too or wait till a better sale.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

Ready to go!  Just testing new stuff:  JingLing , Young Casual Style Outfit , Utopia Apartment Interior .  First one is with DS default lights, second Easy Portraits - Light Presets , third PRO-Studio HDR Lighting System , I must admit I don't see much difference here other than general tone balance.

The Apartment Interior is quite nice, all objects are separate, walls, floor and ceiling can be hidden, and doors slide open.  The blank metal on the panels looks a bit off though IMO, but it's easy to hide it or modify the shader.

g8f_jing-ling_young_casual_style_03_ds_lights.png
    1311 x 921 - 2M
    g8f_jing-ling_young_casual_style_03_easy_portraits.png
    1311 x 921 - 2M
    g8f_jing-ling_young_casual_style_03_pro-studio-hdr-15L.png
    1311 x 921 - 2M
    edited March 2020

LY Beatrix HD (G3F)  ?     dForce Saul Hair (G8F / G8M) 

Well, I'm in a pickle. I did this render two weeks ago and forgot to post her. Now I'm not sure which Beatrix it is, or if it was a Beatrice. I also checked Rendo just in case. Here's the other culprit she could be, I think she's LY. And now I can't remember the outfit either. If this IS LY, that would be a Genesis 3 outfit I assume. So what do you guys think? I'd hate to link to the wrong product. Edit- just be aware this is either the LY or the FW gal, and just focus on the Saul Hair.

Beatrix Saul Hair.png
    825 x 1000 - 1M
    Beatrix Saul Hair 2.png
    825 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2020

By the shape of the lips and eyes definitly the other one FW Beatrix   Different skin though? looks like a birth mark 2nd image right shoulder and the skin looks darker than the promos (could be lighting though)

Post edited by Daventaki on

Didn't change the skin at all. It's all default. What throws me is the brows. They seem more the LY than the FW. 

Hmm still think its the FW one the eyebrows come out to a sharper point than the LY one.  Course I could be wrong wouldn't be the first time!  I don't own either gal to run any tests altough they are both cute I think ill wishlist them!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited March 2020
    Daventaki said:

By the shape of the lips and eyes definitly the other one FW Beatrix   Different skin though? looks like a birth mark 2nd image right shoulder and the skin looks darker than the promos (could be lighting though)

I'd say so too, but it looks like the rather thin eyebrows (eyebrows are one of the best ways to recognize a character) have been overlaid by another thicker and brighter set of eyebrows but so you still can see the original darker ones shine through.

Speaking of eyebrows I tried to use the painted-brow eraser included with Beautiful Brows for Genesis 8 Female(s) and it works very well.  Here's JingLing again (head dialed back to 30% this time) with her painted brows removed and then replaced by fiber brows. 

jingling_brows_1.png
    800 x 921 - 1M
    jingling_brows_2.png
    800 x 921 - 1M
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited March 2020

I think it's best to just take out the links so the Daz Deals doesn't direct people to a forum link which may not be the product. It's just going to have to feature the Saul Hair. :)  Has anyone else ever forgotten what they used? Grrrr.

Post edited by Novica on

Oh yes many of times! I can be very forgetful, ive got to where I write stuff down.........

Review: Love, love, love the new UltraScenery!  It is very versatile and HowieFarkes is working on some addons to make it even more so!  It requires a little patience after you click build cause it can take some time: 15 minutes or so for the script to build the scene.  After that it renders pretty fast.  Below render at 2500x1000 took about 30 minutes on my system.  There are several options like grasslands, woodlands and autmn woodlands.  Two different river options, a pond, a couple of path options and then just land.

UltraSceneryWoodland5.jpg
    2500 x 1000 - 4M

Florida's governor just put a 30 day visitation ban on all nursing home, senior assisted living facilities. I think it's a good idea. I just called Mom and that nurse answered the phone as another one was assisting Mom with her bath. She said Mom was in great spirits and enjoying having her meals brought to her room! Sounds like Mom, always looking on the bright side!  Scottie is on duty both weekend nights and Monday night, so three days of the week Mom pretty much has a private companion to chat with when Scottie is between helping others. 

I think the toilet paper thing is a bit funny, the one thing I made sure I had enough of was kitchen garbage bags and kitty litter for all my cats, totally indoors. I can see people piling trash up when they run out of kitchen garbage bags or yard bags!  There's been very little hoarding here, everyone is stocking up for a couple weeks but I haven't seen totally empty shelves. Meaning, there may be one type of toilet paper gone, but there are other brands still available, etc. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    Novica said:

Has anyone else ever forgotten what they used? Grrrr.

Lots of times smiley I've got a collection of renders with no idea what all I used in themblush

edited March 2020

Gudrun by Mousso G8F         dForce Collection 04-Casual Outfit G8F by Esha          Haydina Hair by Windfield

Gudrun- I got this gal because I really liked her skin and eye textures.  Dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with her per se I just don't particularly care for her nose shape. Although now that I look at her promos again im wondering if I didn't mess her nose up a bit using powerpose to get the smile.  Skin looks great with several makeup and eye color options and translucency options. When I first rendered her I felt like the whites of her eyes were two bright but then I changed the lighting and it makes all the difference. 

Casual Outfit- I really like the look of the outfit.  The leggings can be dforced if you want but they are Frozen by default. Esha provides a activate and freeze icon with the product, along with 2 dforce settings. The clothing to me does not seem to be crazy thin like some dforce clothing.  The outfit also comes with 2 texture options- something it seems we see less and less of- I remember when clothing items came with several texture sets.....   Esha includes various setting to help with pairing the outfit with other items from the Collection series. Here is the bad: when I try to dforce the Pullover with more extreme poses, say arms on top of head, it explodes.  Now I am not the greatest dforce user so it might just need some settings tweaked.

Haydina Hair-This hair is cute, I can't believe it took me so long to pick it up! With lots of morph options and hair colors!  It even has backlighting options(seen in image 2)!  I included images 3 to show it as a longer style, sorry didn't let it render out longer I was getting inpatient (first 2 renders took nearly 1 hour each not sure why). 

GudrunTM2020.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 858K
    GudrunTM.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 1M
    Gudrunhaydina.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 868K
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629

I've not bought things from the store in a long while. I've been super broke. :-( and have passed up some freaking awesome deals. But, what I have done is gone made an attempt at cataloging all my inventory so that I could kitbash away.

Tools, shaders and hours of practice. :-)

Description

This is a kitbash of many items. From nautical items(lighthouse expanded wo 1800% and still looked pretty good) to billboards and yes billboards @riversoftart  do have a place and are low on resources. Eastern terrace was converted to uber/iray.

The outfit, is from 3 different outfits. Purse from a G3 MotoGirl Outfit, I did not have to do anything with textures as they matched the Alicia Dress well, Bibi hat converted to same color as the dress, dress and shoes. Background tree of life,

and tropical modules as well. You have to have Seagulls in a seemingly beach place. Pose was originally from that I modified for what I wanted. I also used lorez loretta to sit at the table.LoREZ items are really good when you use DOF.

Made with...

@daventaki   @cismic  Thanks for showcasing those. I have the Haydina Hair and can't recall if I've ever used it. I do really like it too. Gudrun also looks like an ordinary person, not overdone eyebrows and body features, so thumbs up on that too.  

Joseph, really love that kitbashing!  Loretta Lorez came in quite handy, and I love that nautical outfit! (I'm eyeing the nautical bathroom today and am probably going to get it.) 

This discussion has been closed.