The All you can Eat Sushi and Complaints Thread

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

tomorrow is munday already?
    one more day to mourn, then back into the world. no paycheck this week. iz gonna hurt.

Monday is good, you will enjoy it :)

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Cough is worse, sore throat better, still no fever.
    So...
    Aspirin™, fluids, caffeine, etc. Can't go the alcohol route (diabetes).
    Getting the urge to do "Dark" renders to suit my mood. Been mostly sweetness and light in the render dept. for me lately. Hmmm....(coff)

*empathises* look after yourself TJ, will be missing sweet renders :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:
    Oh I see well you will be much better off in terms of render time with a specular only light to cheat the blurred reflect :)

that render you did in the ballroom, stuck in my mind, was a real nice lighting

Don't use IDL much, is not much chop when it comes to animating whatever the renderer. Ballroom? Dont recall, sorry :)

there was a new texture set for the ballroom. light rays from the windows. lots a wood paneling.

Oh this one, the textures are so good they almost light themselves ($2 wow) is a LIghtwave render with a turbulence procedural driving some volumetric lights, no IDL all spots and points my preferred instruments of illumination :)

thats the one. iz a lonely desk way up there, brings to my mind headmasters and canes. :lol:

edited December 1969

render finished yayyy. posted it in the spin aiko thread.

time to put the tea kettle on. brry me fingers and toes be iceee cold. eeks eeks. hmmm, variety pack, some lady grey in here. she's kinda lemony. aand the earl is here. not to be confused with dorian gray.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited December 1969

i liked Rezca's renders. with the biguana on the stairs, pizza. the lighting was like wow

Aww really? You liked them? =3

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    i liked Rezca's renders. with the biguana on the stairs, pizza. the lighting was like wow

OH yes it is great, and the lake one as well *admires* :)

edited December 1969

6.3 quake in Wellington New Zealand before *sigh* as if they haven't suffered enough

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...not again.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Weird. I just downloaded DAZ|Studio 4.6 Pro from my Product Library. When I went to install it, it says it's older than the version I have. That doesn't make sense. And I can't find the installer for the one I have. I don't know what happened to it. I always keep them. Maybe when I dragged and dropped it into the "Installed" folder, I missed. Oh, I found it. It is 4.6.0.18. The new one is 4.6.1.39. How can that be older?

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Weird. I just downloaded DAZ|Studio 4.6 Pro from my Product Library. When I went to install it, it says it's older than the version I have. That doesn't make sense. And I can't find the installer for the one I have. I don't know what happened to it. I always keep them. Maybe when I dragged and dropped it into the "Installed" folder, I missed. Oh, I found it. It is 4.6.0.18. The new one is 4.6.1.39. How can that be older?

Dana

Only rational explanation is the Product Library has created a vortex in the space time continuum and reverse entropy has kicked in. With time going backwards we can expect what used to be downgrades to become the new upgrades and to run half as fast each year than they did in the future.

edited January 2014

ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:
    Oh I see well you will be much better off in terms of render time with a specular only light to cheat the blurred reflect :)

Don't use IDL much, is not much chop when it comes to animating whatever the renderer. Ballroom? Dont recall, sorry :)

there was a new texture set for the ballroom. light rays from the windows. lots a wood paneling.

Oh this one, the textures are so good they almost light themselves ($2 wow) is a LIghtwave render with a turbulence procedural driving some volumetric lights, no IDL all spots and points my preferred instruments of illumination :)

thats the one. iz a lonely desk way up there, brings to my mind headmasters and canes. :lol:

Well see that's on about dark more than it is about light. You can cheat godrays in Poser quite easily using a transparency map and shades of grey to pick out the rays. Then you just choose something a bit, ya know, symbolic and stuf, to light, leave most of the image dark and it becomes moody instead of half lit. Those Poser point lights set to falloff (Dist End = some value less than the size of the set) give off real good soft-edged shadow if you tweak the shadow blur radius a bit, use that setting with Render Settings -> Post Filter Size, I use type sinC a lot (sharp) but box is good too (soft) at lower values.

Most of the stuff I post in the forum would have two lights max in it, the ballroom image has one spot per godray effect and one point light for the rest I think. The Givenchy poster on the wall is 33% ambient colour, is hardly lit at all. Render time less than 40 seconds.

PS I always sample at .2 and always GC. I tend to adjust the pixel samples a bit up to say max 6 with shadows as well :)

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

...you can also do it with AoA's Atmospheric (volumetric) Cameras as well.

edited December 1969

Yes there is always another way, no matter which platform/strategy/method is employed an image begins and ends in the mind @)--;--;-

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,008
    edited December 1969

OK. It was bugging me that there didn't seem to be a really good plane water material in DS. I was missing the way that water planes in Bryce look. I know, I could export a figure from DS into Bryce and then tweak the heck out of the materials, but I couldn't see why it couldn't be done in DS.
    DS won't do infinite planes, but by getting the right reflection, bump map and settings, refraction, etc. I thought it should be possible to get a very large plane to work along with one of Predatron's Essential Lights and Skies to simulate the water effect you get in Bryce.
    So after hours of tweaking, and using AoA's Fog Camera set to a very distant haze (1500 meters) to mask the far edge of the plane, I think I came pretty close.
    So now I have a calm blue ocean for a set in my DS Runtime. No post-work except for the signature. :)

What do you think?

Bryce_style_Water_plane_in_DS.jpg
    866 x 1000 - 126K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    OK. It was bugging me that there didn't seem to be a really good plane water material in DS. I was missing the way that water planes in Bryce look. I know, I could export a figure from DS into Bryce and then tweak the heck out of the materials, but I couldn't see why it couldn't be done in DS.
    DS won't do infinite planes, but by getting the right reflection, bump map and settings, refraction, etc. I thought it should be possible to get a very large plane to work along with one of Predatron's Essential Lights and Skies to simulate the water effect you get in Bryce.
    So after hours of tweaking, and using AoA's Fog Camera set to a very distant haze (1500 meters) to mask the far edge of the plane, I think I came pretty close.
    So now I have a calm blue ocean for a set in my DS Runtime. No post-work except for the signature. :)

What do you think?

needs an approaching sharkfin

hey tjohn you said you wanted to do dark renders for your unwell mood!!!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,008
    edited December 1969

Oh, I did one of those, too. :vampire:

Descent_Into_Madness_final.jpg
    1300 x 1500 - 419K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:

What do you think?

skinny dipping, yeah

looks good enough to sell in the store

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:

What do you think?

skinny dipping, yeah

looks good enough to sell in the store

Add some turbulent morphs for the plane to make waves and stuff and it could be :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:

Well see that's on about dark more than it is about light. You can cheat godrays in Poser quite easily using a transparency map and shades of grey to pick out the rays. Then you just choose something a bit, ya know, symbolic and stuf, to light, leave most of the image dark and it becomes moody instead of half lit. Those Poser point lights set to falloff (Dist End = some value less than the size of the set) give off real good soft-edged shadow if you tweak the shadow blur radius a bit, use that setting with Render Settings -> Post Filter Size, I use type sinC a lot (sharp) but box is good too (soft) at lower values.

Most of the stuff I post in the forum would have two lights max in it, the ballroom image has one spot per godray effect and one point light for the rest I think. The Givenchy poster on the wall is 33% ambient colour, is hardly lit at all. Render time less than 40 seconds.

PS I always sample at .2 and always GC. I tend to adjust the pixel samples a bit up to say max 6 with shadows as well :)

your render was in poser or lightwave? ?? ??

brain fuzzies this morning.

edited December 1969

Rezca said:

the ones with them coming down the steps really nailed the perspective too

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Oh, I did one of those, too. :vampire:

those Emo Goth girls tend to be cutters, but this one looks like it is NOT her flesh that she wants to cut!
    edited December 1969

i need some practice with perspectives.

but last day of vacation needs a trip to cheesecake factory. it's hard to gain weight with the diabeats, i need some cheesecake calories.

edited December 1969

are they really dawn bashing again? i'm not even gonna click on it.

my favorite lace textures are in clearance at rmp.
    is called Poser Materials - Lots Of Laces
    iz no reason shouldn't work in ds, is just images with trans maps.

my gals like dressing in lace, gents too :) hmm, no haz to wait, resting my cpu so it doesn't melt.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:

What do you think?

That's pretty cool. Flink has an ocean, and someone else at Renderosity has done an ocean with big waves. They're in my wishlist. But this calm water looks pretty good!

Dana

edited December 1969

but last day of vacation needs a trip to cheesecake factory. it's hard to gain weight with the diabeats, i need some cheesecake calories.

Isn't extra weight one of the things that contribute to diabetes? Why would you want to make things worse?

Dana

edited December 1969

somebody needs to make a decent raccoon indeed
    to stop me making mangy ones

coon5.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    coon4.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    coon3.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 968K
    coon2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    coon1.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Isn't extra weight one of the things that contribute to diabetes? Why would you want to make things worse?

Dana

Type 2, yes, though if the control of the diabetes is poor weightloss will result - fat is metabolised to make up for the lack of available sugar if there isn't enough insulin, and there's fluid loss as the body tries to flush out the excess sugar that can be detected for that purpose even as it is ignored for the purpose of energy.

edited January 2014

DanaTA said:

Dana

Type 2, yes, though if the control of the diabetes is poor weightloss will result - fat is metabolised to make up for the lack of available sugar if there isn't enough insulin, and there's fluid loss as the body tries to flush out the excess sugar that can be detected for that purpose even as it is ignored for the purpose of energy.

oh the paradox of metabolic sugar metabalization.

weight loss doesn't cure the diabeats.

when i lay on my side, i'm a side sleeper, my hip bone feels hard against my arm bone. freaks me out a bit. and my butt is boney on the bus seats. ouch after a while.

not sure if it's true, but the pills they give you for diabeats makes you burn sugar instead of fat? which could prolly be why people associate weight with diabeats, how could you lose weight if you can't burn fat? or i could be totally wrong.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    edited January 2014

No, if your cells don't think there's sugar available because of the lack of insulin (insulin is a messenger chemical) then they will burn fat instead - this is bad as it releases ketones which will slowly poison you (which is why "pear drop" breath is a symptom of diabetes). Assuming I am recalling correctly.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited January 2014

tjohn said:

What do you think?

...wow, that's really good.

I have used the Water Disk from nerd3D's Waves on the Beach. For a morphable water plain (mirror flat to gently rolling sea), I've used FirstBastion's Rolling plains retextured as water with adjustments to opacity and refelctivity.

Over on Rendo there is a water surface prop in the store (though not infinite) for both Poser and Daz.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
This discussion has been closed.