The All you can Eat Sushi and Complaints Thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...when it gets to around 85° - 90°, our LRT system here is restricted to 30mph on the few "high speed" segments of the system. Makes for some serious delays during the commute times. On those days, it was actually faster than the train to take the bus from the suburb I worked in to downtown (and unlike the trains, it never was crowded to the point anyone had to stand).

Even on "normal" days I'd often get to the transit mall a few minutes ahead on he bus, as the train becomes a slow lumbering "streetcar" once it emerges from the West Hills tunnel and through downtown.

streetcars are picturesque :)

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Have to rig a fruitbat model I guess. Parrots are easy, bats have those amazing wings...

ooo the pink fortune kitty. did it come with the set?

edited December 1969

iz a stay home in jammies all-day day

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

I just had to go out in the frigid temps. Had a Dr's appointment, had to put gas in the car, and put air in the tires

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Well, Diane went to work. Late, but she went.

Cold right now...was colder earlier. And I have to go out.

Dana

today.jpg
    468 x 487 - 28K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...when it gets to around 85° - 90°, our LRT system here is restricted to 30mph on the few "high speed" segments of the system. Makes for some serious delays during the commute times. On those days, it was actually faster than the train to take the bus from the suburb I worked in to downtown (and unlike the trains, it never was crowded to the point anyone had to stand).

Even on "normal" days I'd often get to the transit mall a few minutes ahead on he bus, as the train becomes a slow lumbering "streetcar" once it emerges from the West Hills tunnel and through downtown.

...this one isn't, it's still a light rail train that just takes on the aspects of a streetcar in downtown: It actually takes almost twice as long to ride through downtown as it does from the last westside station to the transit centre out where I used to transfer to get to work (more than twice the distance of it's route through downtown from the transit centre just on the other side of the river to the tunnel).

Yeah streetcars are "quaint", if your city has a couple lines and cars from the "old days" still running and they actually serve commuters.

When they come with a 140$ million price tag for a new 7 mile line line that is nothing more than a tourist attraction, they are ridiculous. The new line we have goes from an upscale riverfront condo development (where the residents who live there usually drive), to an upscale shopping district north of downtown, to a museum and science centre on the east side of the river. The line is administered by the city, not the local transit commission, yet they (the transit system) budgeted 9$ this year for streetcar operations (taking needed funds away from maintaining and improving bus service that reaches a far larger portion of the commuting public).

Slower than buses, can't detour around traffic issues, clog up traffic lanes, if one breaks down or gets into a tangle with another vehicle the whole line comes to a screeching halt, and the tracks are a hazard to cyclists (which is how a good number of people here in Portland choose to commute - on the east side segment of the line, the tracks are where cyclists would normally ride).

[complaint for the day]

Pics below:

1. A typical Portland LRT train.

2. One of the four Vintage Streetcars we have. These only operate on Saturday and Sunday along a short segment of the LRT line between downtown and Holladay park by the old Lloyd Centre shopping centre east of the river. Note, one of the new streetcars of the Portland Streetcar Line in the background (no where near as "classy"). Incidentally two of these lovely old cars were recently sold by our transit commission to St Louis basically for a "song".

vintage_streetcar_and_new_streetcar.jpg
    500 x 333 - 168K
    MAX_Downtown.jpg
    650 x 434 - 191K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited January 2014

Morning. Warming up again here, hoping to get home before it gets too hot :)

tt97.png
    210 x 177 - 17K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

The temperature will be 97 degrees F even when the sky is partly cloudy? Wow. That is hot.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...this one isn't, it's still a light rail train that just takes on the aspects of a streetcar in downtown: It actually takes almost twice as long to ride through downtown as it does from the last westside station to the transit centre out where I used to transfer to get to work (more than twice the distance of it's route through downtown from the transit centre just on the other side of the river to the tunnel).

Yeah streetcars are "quaint", if your city has a couple lines and cars from the "old days" still running and they actually serve commuters.

When they come with a 140$ million price tag for a new 7 mile line line that is nothing more than a tourist attraction, they are ridiculous. The new line we have goes from an upscale riverfront condo development (where the residents who live there usually drive), to an upscale shopping district north of downtown, to a museum and science centre on the east side of the river. The line is administered by the city, not the local transit commission, yet they (the transit system) budgeted 9$ this year for streetcar operations (taking needed funds away from maintaining and improving bus service that reaches a far larger portion of the commuting public).

Slower than buses, can't detour around traffic issues, clog up traffic lanes, if one breaks down or gets into a tangle with another vehicle the whole line comes to a screeching halt, and the tracks are a hazard to cyclists (which is how a good number of people here in Portland choose to commute - on the east side segment of the line, the tracks are where cyclists would normally ride).

[complaint for the day]

Pics below:

2. One of the four Vintage Streetcars we have. These only operate on Saturday and Sunday along a short segment of the LRT line between downtown and Holladay park by the old Lloyd Centre shopping centre east of the river. Note, one of the new streetcars of the Portland Streetcar Line in the background (no where near as "classy"). Incidentally two of these lovely old cars were recently sold by our transit commission to St Louis basically for a "song".

riding in style :)

is it beer season all year round in Portland?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:

Note, one of the new streetcars of the Portland Streetcar Line in the background (no where near as "classy"). Incidentally two of these lovely old cars were recently sold by our transit commission to St Louis basically for a "song".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odXnKhKBxQ
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited January 2014

oh boy, 10.00 off 50 coupie. thaz 20% i think.

rmp has a 18% off 20. they letting 5 u/l per day nowadays in the gallries.

sigh, i lost another day's pay to weather. i need a hummer to get to work when the public transit is off.

so cold. i don't wanna take the trash out.

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

[complaint for the day]

Pics below:

riding in style :)

is it beer season all year round in Portland?
    ...pretty much, we have brew fests for every season. As a matter of fact there's one coming up this weekend (can't go of course because I'm too broke).

Yeah, actually love the vintage streetcars. On a nice Saturday or Sunday I'd make it a point to ride them. Alas, they are not "original" but are faithful reproductions of the old Portland streetcars that ceased service in 1950. They even have the air powered whistles like the original ones had.

The new ones are so..."meh" looking. They have way fewer seats (and what seating they have is really "squished") and are only wide enough to sit 3 across instead of 4 in the front and back ends of the car. The middle is pretty much devoid of seats to accommodate wheelchairs (no "fold up" seats like the buses have) so when you ride, you usually end up standing even when it's not real busy.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

i just got an email from on online game promoting their new game or expansion pack. So I visit their website to read more about the new game/expansion pack thing. What greets me? weekly maintenance message. bad timing. why the company they send their email before they turned off their servers?? lol

edited December 1969

...that's definitely a "D'oh!! moment.

edited January 2014

ps1borg said:
    Have to rig a fruitbat model I guess. Parrots are easy, bats have those amazing wings...

ooo the pink fortune kitty. did it come with the set?

Hello Kitteh is huge this side of the world. And yes, but forgot the set name :(

iz a stay home in jammies all-day day

Wish it was for me as well but too much $$ involved to send everyone home today I guess, the heat must've cost a fortune in lost time/ no work last week. Oh and the radio is saying 200 ppl died here from heat related stuff, hard to come to terms with but....

90.png
    200 x 173 - 17K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

The temperature will be 97 degrees F even when the sky is partly cloudy? Wow. That is hot.

hotter in the sun, they always do temperature in the shade here, would be too alarming otherwise I guess :)

edited January 2014

i put tape around my window edges to try and make less drafty. been under a blanket all day. brr brrr.

hanging with my new buddy the scrabble ai. atleast it doesn't gloat, unless it's secretly sniggering.

140122.jpg
    497 x 549 - 76K
    edited January 2014

ps1borg said:

hotter in the sun, they always do temperature in the shade here, would be too alarming otherwise I guess :)

the lorikeets hanging with you in the shade?

iz sleepy time here nao.

huh, i looked out the window just noticed streetlights aren't on. i have lights in my room but outside iz all dark. moon is gibbous somewhere.

smiley-sleep018.gif
    45 x 30 - 7K
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

iz sleepy time here nao.

huh, i looked out the window just noticed streetlights aren't on. i have lights in my room but outside iz all dark. moon is gibbous somewhere.

Yes them & I are looking a touch bedraggled right now. I know that's a crappy photo. And I found the moon :)

mn.jpg
    545 x 548 - 40K
    prts.jpg
    859 x 1000 - 112K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    ps1borg said:

iz sleepy time here nao.

Yes them & I are looking a touch bedraggled right now. I know that's a crappy photo. And I found the moon :)

Was it lost? :) Is that your photo? If so, very nice!

Dana

edited December 1969

Yes the lorikeets have lovely plumage but are as thick as two planks. Every living thing is grabbing whatever shade it can today, even parrots and producers :) Too hot for camera fu to work very well for me I'm afraid \m/

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Wow! We're finally having actual winter weather over here! WOHOO! -21 C!

Sadly, however, the layer of snow is very, very thin and offers poor insulation to critters that need it. :(

edited January 2014

...arrrrrgh! Complaint Time.

The Anderson Hall Vestuble set (which looks to be the next part for the "Dream Manor" I am waiting for) and G2F Body Morph Resource Kit are out and I'm totally broke.

No Fair!!!!!

On top of it all they are doing a PC sale as well!. (and this is the basically last month of my membership before it expires)

I need to win the Megabucks Lotto, Stat!

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Wow! We're finally having actual winter weather over here! WOHOO! -21 C!

Sadly, however, the layer of snow is very, very thin and offers poor insulation to critters that need it. :(

cooling down here, might have rain.

c.png
    221 x 180 - 19K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

The Anderson Hall Vestuble set (which looks to be the next part for the "Dream Manor" I am waiting for) and G2F Body Morph Resource Kit are out and I'm totally broke.

No Fair!!!!!

On top of it all they are doing a PC sale as well!. (and this is the basically last month of my membership before it expires)

*hugs* no is not fair

edited December 1969

...just got finished watching Hanna (using last of my Netflix subscription before it expires). Powerful film. Pretty girl. Dangerous Girl. Transhuman Girl. Just like my Leela.

"I just missed your Heart." *Bang*

Time to meditate on this.

Nite All.

smiley-sleep018.gif
    45 x 30 - 7K
    edited December 1969

dangerous cold out. i hopes the taxi will answer the phone. can't walk in this.

140122.jpg
    507 x 381 - 49K
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

No Fair!!!!!

*hugs* no is not fair

+1

lotto!

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

No Fair!!!!!

*hugs* no is not fair

+1

lotto!

Have a great day, I'm trying to think cool thoughts you will have to think warm ones :)

edited January 2014

Weather haz warning statement about the prolonged deep freeze

"
    PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO THE COLD AND WIND COULD LEAD TO FROSTBITE AND HYPOTHERMIA. IF YOU VENTURE OUTDOORS... MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

THE PROLONGED COLD CAN ALSO LEAD TO ADDITIONAL HEALTH HAZARDS SUCH AS EXPOSURE TO FUMES FROM POORLY VENTILATED EMERGENCY GENERATORS... AND PROPERTY DAMAGE SUCH AS FROZEN AND BURSTING WATER PIPES INCLUDING THOSE OF FIRE SPRINKLER SYSTEMS...

"

i forgot my hat this morning. doh. my coat has a hoodie, was wondering why it wasn't staying up out of my eyes. double doh.
    pain under my knee. oww oww oww. have to walk with my foot turned inward a bit, takes some of the pressure off. i didn't want to spend money on a taxi, i wanna buy stuff. triple doh

scrabble Ai wouldn't let me add vis to chain. chainvis not a scrabble word.
    Ai wrote "dildo" i was like way what you Ai you. next turn it added an 'e' 'dildoe' gave itself double-word points.

can't believe i have nothing to talk about except what scrabble Ai did last night. sigh
    my Buppy will forgive me if i adopt another buppy?
    i still worry about him. The worry never really goes away. Is he happy where he is? is he warm and comfy? is he allowed to visit me? if he decides to come back for another go 'round, will he try to come back to me? if he finds another earth family, will he still be my buppy on the other side when i get there?

This discussion has been closed.