Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

...and a pipeline for Optitex !
    That would indeed be cool!
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

If I am talking rubbish...please let me know. Sorry for the rant, just took my back meds and they haven't kicked in yet!

xx :) Silene

Not at all...
    But have you ever tried modeling in Carrara? It rocks for content creation, making morphs, etc.,
    Also, on a different topic, I thiunk that the developers look atg certain things that are offered in Hexagon that Hexagon users find missing in Carrara, but as far as the software developers see it, Carrara has the ability now to do most of those things, perhaps all, and more, but you have to do it in a different way. Like where Hex can drop in a helix, Carrara can do that and a whole lot more using formulas.

To clarify my above statement, where I'm agreeing that it would be great to get more of that in Carrara, I certainly would never agree to have the VM replaced with Hexagon... Never! I have grown too fond of the modeler in Carrara. I am one whom prefers it over Hex.

It will be a very long time before I can model a human being, rig and morph it from scratch n Carrara!

If we could properly tweak and adjust Genesis character vertices in Carrara... it would really make a big difference for me not to lose the major morphs and rigging which is what happens when I try to mix and match the several morph packages I've accumulated!

:) Silene

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

I see what you're saying, I think... you mean that the morphs that you have dialed up disappear when you enter edit mode or the model room, right? You should actually make your own morphs without any others dialed in within Hexagon, too... or the morphs you have dialed up will become injected onto your morph - or perhaps that's what you want...

Modeling morphs on Genesis in Carrara works great though. I start with the basic figure with no morphs dialed on. Then there's always the possibility that I won't need some of the others after I'm done. It depends on how good I do. But then, you may use the others for further individualizing other figures, too.

If you really want to model over existing morphs, what you do is to export an obj of the Genesis from DS the way you want it, with the morphs dialed up. Now import that into Carrara and make your morphs and then export that. When bringing that one back into DS to add the morph to Genesis, you can then have the morph loader remove the morphs that you had dialed up (or down). You just have to remember (or write down) which morphs were dialed, and what the dial values were, so you can successfully remove them as you add your new morph.

DAZ has some pretty helpful Instructions on how to do all of that right here ;)

To me, Carrara's soft selection works better than Hex - but that could be because I'm more accustomed to Carrara for modeling.

edited December 1969

I see what you're saying, I think... you mean that the morphs that you have dialed up disappear when you enter edit mode or the model room, right? You should actually make your own morphs without any others dialed in within Hexagon, too... or the morphs you have dialed up will become injected onto your morph - or perhaps that's what you want...

Modeling morphs on Genesis in Carrara works great though. I start with the basic figure with no morphs dialed on. Then there's always the possibility that I won't need some of the others after I'm done. It depends on how good I do. But then, you may use the others for further individualizing other figures, too.

If you really want to model over existing morphs, what you do is to export an obj of the Genesis from DS the way you want it, with the morphs dialed up. Now import that into Carrara and make your morphs and then export that. When bringing that one back into DS to add the morph to Genesis, you can then have the morph loader remove the morphs that you had dialed up (or down). You just have to remember (or write down) which morphs were dialed, and what the dial values were, so you can successfully remove them as you add your new morph.

DAZ has some pretty helpful Instructions on how to do all of that right here ;)

To me, Carrara's soft selection works better than Hex - but that could be because I'm more accustomed to Carrara for modeling.

I will look at the development tools at the link but I think his is all way above my level.... I do not think I could create all the mouth and facial movement morphs needed! I'm pretty happy with the head of my character....haven't styled her hair as I need her face showing whilst I work on her complexion. Will post in More Hope Renders.

Go on, Hex me.... I want it in Carrara as I have invested a lot of time and money into learning it. Even going back to DS would give me a nervous breakdown. I did that with my very first character and he had the worst bumpy face morphs. He was an M4 figure as Carrara didn't support Genesis then!

xx :) Silene

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Hexagon crashes on me ALL THE TIME even with enhanced memory now.

Do you mean you are using LAA (Large Address Aware) and the 3Gb switch if you are on 32 bit Windows or the 4GB Patch for 64bit Windows?

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    laurenwbr said:
    Hexagon crashes on me ALL THE TIME even with enhanced memory now.

Do you mean you are using LAA (Large Address Aware) and the 3Gb switch if you are on 32 bit Windows or the 4GB Patch for 64bit Windows?

I am not sure what you mean at all. I got Hex when I got DAZ, before I bought Carrara. It worked for a while (didn't it only come in 32bit...this was last March). I didn't know about a patch but haven't looked for anything about Hex since about May. I have a 64-bit Windows machine. Upgraded my memory a couple of months ago from 4gb to 16gb so Carrara would stop hanging.

Any advice about Hex appreciated....

xx SileneUK

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Hexagon will only use up to 2Gb RAM even if you have 4Gb or more RAM installed without any help. 32 bit applications can use up to 4Gb of RAM but they must be modified to do so.

On Windows 64 bit system, you can use the 4Gb Patch available here http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php. It will ask you to locate the specific application's .EXE file and will modify it. It also makes a backup copy of the original .EXE in case the patching does not work. It does work on many applications, and I use it with Hexagon.

I have noticed that Hex seems to top out at around 3.1Gb memory usage, but it is still WAY better than 1.8GB or so you would get without the modification.

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    Hexagon will only use up to 2Gb RAM even if you have 4Gb or more RAM installed without any help. 32 bit applications can use up to 4Gb of RAM but they must be modified to do so.

On Windows 64 bit system, you can use the 4Gb Patch available here http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php. It will ask you to locate the specific application's .EXE file and will modify it. It also makes a backup copy of the original .EXE in case the patching does not work. It does work on many applications, and I use it with Hexagon.

I have noticed that Hex seems to top out at around 3.1Gb memory usage, but it is still WAY better than 1.8GB or so you would get without the modification.

Thank you so much. I will give it a try. There are lots of things I can give a go to model in Hex..not people, but other things which I am confident I can model, style and then bring into Carrara and rig. Greatly appreciated!

xx :) SileneUK

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:

I started with Hexagon because it's the software which crashes most quickly in the world!
    At the beginning, it seemed to be more stable…
    I then very irritated it (many polygons to be chamfered at the same time) and failure…
    I believe that there is light better, but it is not yet the ideal.
    I will patches other softwares in x86, it's free and could be usefull.
    Thank you for the tip.

• HathatoolHathatool Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

i hope for
    particles with size (for fluid simulations) and more complex physics
    better cloth simulation with tension and rips
    walk designer
    scripting for animation or even function as modifiers
    better plants system with animation options
    string physics
    spring systems for secondary movement

and maybe only may be blender integration for advance fluids, physics animations

edited January 2014

hathatool said:
    i hope for
    walk designer
    string physics

and maybe only may be blender integration for advance fluids, physics animations

- Particles: there is all that you can dream in Carrara, looks at only the presets…

Walkdesigner: I am of agreement with you, but they want to impose “Animate” because it is a commercial product.

Scripts: you have “Pycarrara” and “Pyswarm” of Fractal Dimensia”, we can make a lot of nice animations with that!

Plants system: that of Carrara is very developed, even for animation.

Physics: Carrara is one of most powerfull physical engine in the world of the 3D.

Yes, Blender is excellent for the fluids, but I hope that the developers of Carrara will draw the best from each software to make an unbeatable version soon!

But you are right, DAZ should not let pass this last chance to be in the best !

Post edited by DUDU on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

hathatool said:
    i hope for
    walk designer
    string physics

The plant room has animation options. There's always room for improvement, but I haven't see anything that makes me think it is lacking compared to other examples I have seen, including Vue.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798
    edited December 1969

I'm not asking for much...

just a proper working smart content with search function that doesn't make your PC feel like an old 386 :coolhmm:

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

My wishlist is
    - add a search feature in the content browser
    - fix many of the known bugs (eg. in 8.5, in weightpainting the joints of a posed figure, the unposed model pops in and obscures the view of the posed mesh)
    - have a cloth drape function similar to Poser or Marvelous Designer.
    - improve the vertex modeler with a better cut tool, and make the duplicate with symmetry function more stable
    - update the non-photorealistic renderer to better deal with objects with transparent shaders, better control of edges (more options for object clipping),...
    - improved terrain editing and shading
    - add a few tutorials or provide illustrative content for the little used functions (metaball modeler, formula shaders, ...) I feel that there is a lot of functionality in Carrara that I don't use because I don't know it is there. For example, PhilW and Fenric have teamed up to have the shaders on replicated figures in a movie theater have different colored clothes. I'm curious, could that have been done with a formula shader and duplicated (rather than replicated) figures? I just don't know, but it seems to me a formula could be used to set a solid color and have it vary by a range of U and V coordinates, but would it work on an instance that is replicated or duplicated? Is there a symmetry function in the metaball modeler? Again, I just don't know. Seems like there is a lot of wasted potential.

Some of my lower priority wishes, but still wishes
    - support for Poser weightmapped figures
    - a better cow in the object browser

• ScotsmanScotsman Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

How about a simple box select of items on the screen.

Also can we get some mate and connect commands similar to Solidworks so it is easier to snap component parts together.

Finally for today how about some decent CAD import capability which will not crash with large models.

Thanks

• tscott_f9a8e65d7ctscott_f9a8e65d7c Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Some wish items:

-SpeedTree integration
    -An easy way to destruct or shatter objects that works with the physics system
    -Rivers that follow user-defined paths so you can have water flowing in carved out channels. Could also be used for waterfalls.
    -Water physics (if this isn't already in there) so we can have boats tossed about by waves, etc.
    -Flawless content support for all Daz products
    -Environments created from wizards such as rain storms, snow storms, etc. All customizable for intensity and various other attributes.
    -Mimic Pro included

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited February 2014

I would love it if Carrara 9 had soft body functions to match poser & more built in features to accommodate the creation of complex animation rigs.

However if I had to choose one feature I’d like to see in Carrara 9 it would be a timeline that lets me collapse a figures (or animation groups) hierarchy in the sequencer and create and move Keys with ease using just the top of the hierarchy.

I'm tired of scrolling down the sequencer to select and move all the keys on a frame it's darn cumbersome . Even Daz studio has the one-up on Carrara in this department once you add key mate to it (now if only it had Carrara’s IK features!).

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
  • jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

Since this thread still seems active, I'll throw in my own two cents.

The one reasonable request it to fix the timeline save state. I prefer to set my timeline to display "FPS" rather than "Time." Unfortunately, when I reopen a saved file, it always reverts back to "Time." Small item, but extremely annoying.

As this is a "wish" list, I will also include my more "pie in the sky" thoughts.

Speed, efficiency and interface. All need a bit of work (IMO). New features are always nice, but bringing the existing ones to a better level is key.

As others often point out, DAZ's big thing is to sell "content." Carrara works well with many thing, but it is very weak when DAZ content is introduced. Normally this would be considered a subjective matter. However, I point to DAZ's own "Studio" product as a comparison. Load a figure into Studio, work with it, save the file, animate it, etc. Studio is a pleasure to work with compared to Carrara. Load that same figure into Carrara - animation timeline bogs down, file sizes balloon, saves take several minutes.

IMO, DAZ should really look at some of the "under the hood" work they have done for Studio and incorporate it into Carrara. This would greatly improve Carrara's ability to use, pose and animate content, without giving up any of Carrara's power. I am not suggesting turning Carrara into a "Studio Pro" - just taking the speed and efficiency that Studio has and brining that code to Carrara.

Regarding "interface" I am not necessarily advocating changing the interface (although a facelift could freshen things up and improve workflow). I am not a programmer, so bear with me on the explanation... Every program I use (on a Mac, although Windows would be the same) has window, dialog boxes and menus that look and work the same. This consistency helps the workflow. Interface elements also work the same. Using my trackpad, for example, I can scroll thing up and down or left and right.

Carrara uses a "homegrown" interface, replacing system menus, windows and other elements with custom Carrara versions. This means that not everything always works as it does in other software. Using the trackpad example, Carrara lets me scroll vertically, but not horizontally. For that I have to click on a very small slider and drag it.

edited December 1969

jrm21 said:

The one reasonable request it to fix the timeline save state. I prefer to set my timeline to display "FPS" rather than "Time." Unfortunately, when I reopen a saved file, it always reverts back to "Time." Small item, but extremely annoying.

You can change that in your "Preferences"...

• jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
    edited February 2014

jrm21 said:

You can change that in your "Preferences"...

Very cool. Now that you point it out, I recall doing that in a prior version. My prefs probably got reset at one point.

I can't test at the moment, but I suspect that will change things on a global scale. Ideally, I would like to see that "state" saved with the file. If I save a file with "time" it should open up as "time" and the same for FPS. The pref setting should apply to new documents, not override the setting in an existing document.

Post edited by jrm21 on
    edited December 1969

Yes, some softwares do that.

• More2burnMore2burn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Carrara has better animation tools than DS IMO... but because DS has Power Poser it's much faster to pose. Does anyone else hope for Power Poser tool in Carrara? Is this possible?

Also, more than one uv for a model would help for lightmaps etc. I know the save/import uv maps was already requested but if you could add the ability to have more than one uv at the same time your doing this, it might be easier?

Thanks in advance.

edited December 1969

What's the difference between Puppeteer and Power Poser? How does it make it go faster?

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

Power Poser has a menu window with a figure with joints... click on the joint and move left/right or up/down and the corresponding joint on the selected character will move. I don't use Daz that much but it is useful. You can then save the new pose in the Puppeteer.

edited December 1969

Okay. I know what you mean now. I just assumed it was part of Puppeteer. Personally, I didn't really find it that useful, but others may like it.

• More2burnMore2burn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You should give it a try. Power Poser works along side Puppeteer rather than in a competitive way. It would save people a ton of time getting figures into position if it were added to Carrara9, IMO. And because it's so much faster to pose the figure it makes Puppeteer that much better too. It's like they were designed to be used together so It's weird that it's not in Carrara too. If it's easy to port over from DS, it could be a nice addition but IDK if it would be or not. Hope it is so they will do it. It takes me so much longer to position without it.

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited February 2014

1.) I would like better HDRI functionality in C9, being able to rotate the HDRI map similarly as exampled in the Octane plugin. Be able to see in the Assembly room the change.

2.) HDRI creation & export: Bryce already has this (i've read but never figured out how to make work). Possibly automatic with a few button clicks, as well as a "refresh / update" button incase you decide to change the sun angle / position)

IE: when I setup my Realistic Sky the way I want it including Sunlight. Normally I have to set a black colored infinity plane, and add in a spherical camera and set the render output to 8000 x 4000 and hit render as a png. Then, I have to setup the rest of the scene, and load in that saved skymap png in the Scene: Background tab. While this does provide Skylight atmospheric filtering information and IBL "image based lighting" to the scene, this is actually LDRI "Low Dynamic Range" rather than being High Dynamic Range. I still haven't found or figured out a way to convert those LDRI skymaps into HDRI.

3.) Align Sun / Distant Light position to the HDRI

The caveat of re-using a premade LDRI skymap or HDRI in a new scene, then adjusting the sunlight (or distant light) around, sometimes with the odd camera angle, you'll see the bright spot in the sky where the sun is on the skymap even though the light source is coming from another direction. Or likewise, see in the sky 2 suns but only 1 sunlight source and shadows. This also goes for moons visible if saved out in the skymap.

4.) be able to add more than 1 moon or sun, with options for further moon / planatary body customization even via use of bitmaps. This is a rather niche feature request for the sky editor, mainly for other-worldly alien vista non-earth sci-fi rendering. Carrara already supports altering the Sky / Atmosphere colors for alien type skies other than Earth's default blue. So why not go the extra little distance?

5.) Enable / Disable SSS option in the render tab. Just another vote for this.

6.a) More volumetric fire options. IE: Fire cones that can be expanded or tapered at either end, for say use as Dragon's Breath or flame throwers. This probably would mean expand or taper controls for the ends of the cylindrical and rectangular default containers.
    OR
    6b.) The option of being able to use custom primitive or vertex shapes as containers for volumetric effects like fire, with the volumetrics making use of the container's shape.

7.) Cuda (Nvidia) AND OpenCL (AMD) render engine support. Basically both Nvidia and AMD gpu rendering support (since Octane is Cuda only).

8.) Option to allow Backdrop to be used but not affected by the combined use of Realistic Sky, Background maps and/or Skylight settings (currently is affected like a texture and gets washed out)

9.) Another HUGE vote for better Genesis 1 & 2 clothing fitting options in regards to collision and smoothing. I know setting up in DS , saving and importing into Carrara work around, but it would be nice to have the full set of features from DS , natively in Carrara.

Post edited by CoolBreeze on
  • stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Vertex Colors!

( I even spelled colour wrong so Daz can read it proper....)

( I even spelt spelt wrong so Daz can read it proper...)

;-)

• srgalt1srgalt1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

How about having C9 do what C8.5 was supposed to do but doesn't?

edited December 1969

srgalt1 said:
    How about having C9 do what C8.5 was supposed to do but doesn't?

Y'know "srgalt1," there are many new people here that seem fairly happy with Carrara. Instead of rehashing old gripes and poisoning the mood around here, please contribute something useful. In the past, people have been banned for unreasonable (yes, unreasonable) negativity.