JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Woot! ty, that will be fun.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I've now got slightly away from the pose in my reference because to me, it looked too unnatural when applied to a non idealised figure.
    So I've actually raised her head and set it at a more realistic angle for the V4.2 figure. Not only that but more subtle changes such as twisting and some sideways movement from her abdomen so she's leaning into the camera a slight shade more and strengthening the colour of her outfit. Also altered the light to give it a more 50's Illustration feel and added the graphics...

Now I have to get on with some work, so I'm calling this finished. :)

Betty-PageALT.jpg
    740 x 679 - 246K
    edited July 2012

chohole said:
    Oh I like that The Savage.

Thanks. That's because you're a Bryceaholic and you see the distinct render style of Bryce. :)
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

... I'm calling this finished. :)

Looks good Savage, good luck :)

edited July 2012

I always thought it would be good if DAZ had an area we could share stuff (like our poses here after the contest.) Maybe when they aren't swamped with more important things :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited July 2012

Gedd said:
    Sasje, that looks great! :)

The right hand on the left person (and left on the right person) is twisted from the reference but is actually 100% correct. Your hand pose comes just before the person on the left puts a twist on the hand and goes into the hand pose in the reference. Besides getting the position and balance spot on, you've also got great expressions on both characters (better then the reference image) which really makes it top notch.

I'm guessing you've done some martial arts?

Thank you :)
    Yes I did.
    I did jiu-jitsu about 10 years, started when I was 18
    And still love to do it.:-)
    Post edited by Sasje on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    I always thought it would be good if DAZ had an area we could share stuff (like our poses here after the contest.) Maybe when they aren't swamped with more important things :)

Those of us who want to share do usually find ways of sharing. ShareCG is a very useful place, and there are others like it. I even have some of my stuff up at ShareCG, although the majority of it is on my site.

New Users however should check that they are using the right way to save out anything they would like to share, There are people here amongst the CVs and Mods who can advise on that, if anyone has any doubts or queries.
    edited December 1969

Yes, but it isn't the same as having a share area that coalesces all of the items from something like this into a single repository.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

There is the General Freepozitory where you can share things. Please get this thread back on topic

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,815
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:

You know, while this isn't the place for idea discussion on the contests in general, it might be a good idea to make a thread where those of you participating can post some ideas etc on how to make the contest better, more interesting, less confusion etc so I'm going to go make a thread now in this forum for stuff like that so people have somewhere to post their ideas :)

edited December 1969

Thank you, that would be nice :)

edited December 1969

I started a topic for sharing ideas etc here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4146/

• AydenShadeAydenShade Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

more adjustments done

noel.png
    1366 x 768 - 1M
    wi2.jpg
    574 x 585 - 74K
  • AydenShadeAydenShade Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Alrighty, hopefully last post in this forum then my final entry

wi3.jpg
    574 x 585 - 74K
    noel.png
    1366 x 768 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Good Luck Ayden :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nice work!! Dont forget, post both images in the Entry thread also.

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

this is my second entry for the contest but as you can see i am having trouble with the right shoulder and i would like to bring her hips up how can i do that.

future_pin_up.jpg
    800 x 800 - 283K
    edited July 2012

To bring the hip up you will have to pose the hip first and rotate it which is then going to move the whole figure kinda up and around. then go to the thighs and just rotate them back into place. Doing that may get everything else including the arm all aligned for you :)

REMINDER:

For those entering the contest, don't forget to include your reference image, what Application you used, as well as an image title with your entries :) If you can't think of a title (I go crazy sometimes trying to sort those out LOL) then at put as the name like Your Username + Entry One just something so we can easily identify yours from another when people do the voting later when the contest closes :)

If you have any questions on anything please let me know :) And everyone is doing an AMAZING job! :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited December 1969

this is my second entry for the contest but as you can see i am having trouble with the right shoulder and i would like to bring her hips up how can i do that.

Yes, like DAZ_ann says, rotate her to put her more on her back, then move the legs into position again by bending them backwards at the top joint.
    I think that you've already got the correct amount of arch in her back.

The problem you're having with her shoulder is because you need to twist her abdomen anti-clockwise so her chest is pointing the same way as her belly button, that will allow you to drop her right shoulder into a more natural position and allow her right arm to reach out more and further behind (maybe don't set the shoulder back but use a clockwise twist on the forearm and at the wrist perhaps).

I can't see what's going on with her left shoulder, but you'll notice her head is not directly to the camera but at about 45° and bent forward quite a lot... fixing the twist in her abdomen will line her head up better, but I think it will still need some clockwise twist and setting on it's side a bit so she's looking at the camera out of the very corner of her eyes.

Hope this helps, good work. :)
    edited December 1969

thank you all for your help i will fix things the best i can and hope i can make it before the contest ends, and dose any one know if i can go back to my first entry and add the title, i have one but did not put it in the post (man what a rookie)

edited December 1969

Another tip. Your background image is stretched. You can make a Primative Plane under the Create Menu. That will make a square on the ground but you know enough now to move it behind your character and make it look like a wall, do that. In your Scene Tab select your Plane then Open your Surfaces Tab and select your Plane, in the DIFFUSE channel load your Backdrop as the texture, use the little Down arrow and then Browse to the image. Okay, it's still all stretched out, now use the Parameters Tab to change the X and Y size. If it's up side down or backwards, well POSE it right. When the image looks right your done. Now work on your POSE with a nice image to compair it to and line up with.

edited December 1969

thank you all for your help i will fix things the best i can and hope i can make it before the contest ends, and dose any one know if i can go back to my first entry and add the title, i have one but did not put it in the post (man what a rookie)
    If you go to your POST you will see a EDIT button. Only you and the Forum Admin's can see it. Click it and just EDIT and then Submit Post again. All fixed.
    edited December 1969

thank you all again for your help i will work on it asap

• squirrelvidssquirrelvids Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Szark said:
    squirrelvids Got some stunning poses there amoung the pages.

Yes squirrel I really like your pose just the way it was. I think all of the feedback people (me and others) were giving you was for variations between yours and the reference, not because yours was wrong.

Especially in the case of your pose artistically it looked good without any changes imo.

Sometimes when we are giving feedback I think we (I) forget to mention small but important details like that.

Thanks Gedd and Szark! I've learned so much from this contest so far. Szark, your post about putting a backdrop behind the figure was indispensable!

One thing I discovered in my progress was how looking at the negative spaces (the area all around the figure) in the composition could help get the pose right. I thought I'd share this tip in case it helps anyone else! (see pic)

Cheers!

zartika_wip.jpeg
    401 x 1302 - 234K
  • ExperimenterExperimenter Posts: 161
    edited December 1969

I have a picture in mind. But the original is from a move and you can not see the hole pose in one picture. You can imagen the pose if you see a few seconds of this move.
    Is this a possible contest picture if I use this move scene pose?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Thanks Gedd and Szark! I've learned so much from this contest so far. Szark, your post about putting a backdrop behind the figure was indispensable!
    My pleasure to help when and where I can. I have been itching to show others that trick. I am really pleased people have gotten something from it. Makes me a happy chappy.

One thing I discovered in my progress was how looking at the negative spaces (the area all around the figure) in the composition could help get the pose right. I thought I'd share this tip in case it helps anyone else! (see pic)

Totally agree with this one. I think I mentioned putting props in to help with the visual aspect in getting the pose to look right. I often work on the pose in a seperate scene. Then when I am ready I merge the posed figure in to the main scene and tweek the camera, lighting and the placement of props. We can as learners get so engrossed with what we are learning that we sometimes forget about composition and balance of the image as a whole.
    edited December 1969

i was thinking about this as my second entry

images[10].jpg
    176 x 287 - 9K
    hovertank_pilot_.jpg
    800 x 800 - 253K
    edited December 1969

Darn good. To my eyes the head and arms are still just a touch off. But with that said it's still a very good POSE in my book.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

yup it is looking good. As Jaderail says a few little tweaks and it will be very good. Right shoulder up a little, head lokking down a little maybe. It is difficult as these sort of images are stylised, so don't really make it easy to get an exact copy.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

i was thinking about this as my second entry

This looks very good :)
    Only you're example is standing on her toe.