Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 11

Comments

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 2019

@Slepalex, Horo: ALT-Key in the IL, I completly forgot this function! And I would have needed it lately. Thanks a lot for mentioning it here.

@Hansmar: You have my sympathy, but I'm afraid I can't help you only echo, that Bryce should not crash with this small number of stones. Unless your set of stones may consist of a lot of different objects. I observed, when you use the Random Replicate with, let's say 8 different objects which you want randomly replicate at the same time and you set the number of replicates e.g. up to 50 it slows down the process considerably. Nevertheless I never experienced a crash in this case. BTW Your scene looks nice.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,078

Hansmar : nice desert scene. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040

Just a headsup in case you haven't looked. There is a load of Bryce stuff on David Brinnen's page at 65% off.

https://www.daz3d.com/december-30-pa-items#&filter_vendor=David Brinnen&filtered=1

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 2019

Fishtales - thank you. The sets for which David and I had teamed up are also hefty discounted in my shop.

Double stacked terrain with 5 BTOs 150 times instanced in the IL, all foliage 70% translucent. Sky and ambient light by the visible HDRI. Instead of the sun - because it made the blue haze yellow - a Distant Light at the same position as the sun visible in the HDRI was used. With all that translucency the render time was generous - 12 hours.
    I took the half sized scene and attempted a network render. It worked fine and finished in half the time I had calculated. The result was disappointing because the scene got only lit by the HDRI, the Distant Light was not included. It appears that the assets newly introduced with Bryce 7 are not considered when network rendering. 

Tree Lined Rivulet

TreeLinedRunlet.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 380K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Slepalex: Thanks. I guessed that the HDR was the issue for the crash. Thanks to Horo I now know that I did not downscale it correctly. Indeed, the cubic stones are not so nice. I did use Alt-R (random multireplicate) with instance and collision detection. And indeed, due to the fact that the things land on the bounding box, not on the actual object. And since I did not constrain rotation, sometimes the stones actually landed close to their tip. Very weird effect indeed. One also landed on top of another (on its tip).

Horo: Thanks. I did not know how to downsample the HDR correctly, thanks for the tip.

I did some experimenting with multireplicate and still work on this. I’ll share my results later.

Adbc: Thanks. I’ll report on further experiments later.

Electro-Elvis: Yep, crashing of Bryce appears to be sometimes at random. But keeping the number of items low, specifically for landing down, is critical, I feel.

Horo: Wow, great looking render! Wonderful to see a lot of trees in a render.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Horo said:

Slepalex - when you talk about the IL, I listen to you because you have more experience with it than I have. However, at the scene I am working at the moment with trees on a hilly terrain, the ALT key rotated the trees so that the trunk is at right angles to the terrain slope, and not vertical. It seems that the ALT key is a good idea, except for trees.

Yes I know. But it was about stones.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited January 2020

Hansmar – all your landscapes are awesome. Great skies and terrain textures.

Horo – wow excellent scene, beautiful setup and the lighting is awesome.

Starting 2020 with some scenes I did in 2019 both using the terrains and skies from the fantastic set…https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-landscapes-under-fantastic-skies

bluff.jpg
    800 x 600 - 392K
    pits.jpg
    950 x 475 - 323K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

Hansmar - thank you.

mermaid - thank you. Beautiful work from you, both of them. The second one is my favorite.

Mermaid: Thank you. Lovely renders. I prefer the first one, because the terrain looks great like this. However, both are very good.

Horo : superb scene, awesome trees setup, beautiful sky.

mermaid : excellent images, the first one has my preference.

adbc - thank you.

• Maybe it is not that obvious, but the main goal for my image was to create a nice paddock. The rest is gravy :-). Rendered in Regular Mode with IBL. Render time without Antialiasing ca. 3 hours with AA more than 15 (it's because of the transparent grass). The animals are from Daz3D. Trees are Bryce and a few of them in the background are from the Vegetation package.

Pferdekoppel5.jpg
    1334 x 800 - 609K

Electro-Elvis - great render, very realistic background mountains. Transparency can be a render hog, even more so if IBL is used. Depending on what is illuminated by the HDRI, sometimes you can switch off the IBL Shadows without seing a difference - except that the render gets very much faster. Parts lit by IBL without the sunlight may look flat (like ambient) without IBL shadows. But it is a good idea to check before you start the final render.

edited January 2020

Electro-Elvis: Wonderful render. The paddock is great, but the gravy looks good as well!

I used a lattice, with an earth-material and a surrounding sphere with a partly transparent material, the dark UFO from Drachenlords and a fantastic sky from Horo for this weird render.

odd earth.jpg
    875 x 875 - 401K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Electro-Elvis : Beautiful natural scene.

Hansmar : very surreal image, good choice of colours.

Thanks Horo, Hansmar and Adbc

Electro-Elvis - nice realistic render, the padlock is great so is the grass.

Hansmar - lovely "weird" image.

edited January 2020

Hansmar - interesting space scene, cool idea.

Double stacked terrain with 5 BTOs 100 times instanced in the IL, all foliage 70% translucent. A Distant Light as the sun low at left shines through the translucent foliage and a weak sun brightens the shadowy parts. No HDRI for a change, renders in 1-1/2 hours.

Cluster of Trees

ClusterOfTrees.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 323K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited January 2020

adbc, mermaid010, Horo: Thank you.

Horo: Great wilderness you created! Of course, in this render, the effect of the double stacked terrain is not visible, but the 'woods' look great.

When struggling to understand the random replicate (which I probably will not use very often anymore), I made a scene with random replicated special maples. I rendered it 360 panorama and put a small fill light at the camera position.

specialmaple1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M

Horo - Wow beautiful scene

Hansmar - another nice example of random replicate, although some roots are floating. I also have a problem with instancing using the IL or random replicate, even after reading and re-reading the pdfs on this subject on Horo's site and the comments and discussions on the forum.

One quick question.... when trying to render bird's eye view do you guys use the top view or camera view.

Horo : outstanding render.

Hansmar : I agree with mermaid's comment. Great view though.

edited January 2020

Hansmar - thank you. The replicated trees panorama looks quite nice.

mermaid - thank you. For bird's eye view, like any other, I use the Perspective camera. The top view, like the others (front, left right, ...), I use when working on a scene.

adbc - thank you.

Post edited by Horo on

Mermaid010, adbc: Thanks. But sadly, I agree with your comment. Still some floating roots. You don't want to know how much effort I have put in getting all trees down. But when replicating or instancing a lot and close to each other it is very difficult not to miss one or two. Unfortunately, I missed one close to the camera, which is difficult to spot in panorama mode.

Horo: Thanks.  

Mermaid010: I agree with Horo, the top view is useful for creating the scene. I never use it for rendering (except for some strange abstracts, perhaps). Anyway, a bird's eye view is (usually) not straight downward (as the top view is), so you can only do this with the perspective camera.

edited January 2020

I obtained the set 'Bryce 7.1 Pro - Environments - Inclement Weather' by David Brinnen and Horo and decided to make a quick test render with one of the snow settings. The terrrain is 'Narrow Valley' from the set, material is 'Snow+Sea-Terrain  and the snow is SnowCube A. I modified 'the snow cube a bit to get a bit more and brighter snow. I placed a small tower from the Grobburg in the scene and added some snow ridges to the tower. I used a little bit of DoF focused on the tower building, but preventing strong blurring by using a very small lens radius (0.01). Almost forgot to mention the HDRI used, which is Ermclouds08 from the same set.

tower in snow.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    edited January 2020
    Hansmar said:

Mermaid010, adbc: Thanks. But sadly, I agree with your comment. Still some floating roots. You don't want to know how much effort I have put in getting all trees down. But when replicating or instancing a lot and close to each other it is very difficult not to miss one or two. Unfortunately, I missed one close to the camera, which is difficult to spot in panorama mode.

There are two ways for tree roots to be drowned in the ground.
    1. Before working in IL, drown the original in the ground, 2 to 4 times (depending on the size of the tree) by pressing the "Page Down" key. After propagation in IL, all clones will also be drowned.
    2. After working in IL, select a group of trees, and also two or three keystrokes of the "Page Down" key solve the problem.

0.jpg
    800 x 400 - 258K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
    Hansmar said:

Mermaid010: I agree with Horo, the top view is useful for creating the scene. I never use it for rendering (except for some strange abstracts, perhaps). Anyway, a bird's eye view is (usually) not straight downward (as the top view is), so you can only do this with the perspective camera.

I do not agree! From a bird's eye view, you can render from the view of the director. In many cases, this is more convenient.
    Select the key object of the scene, for example, from a top view. Go into the director's view by pressing the 0 key (Fig. 2), select "Center to Selection" (Fig. 3) and use these controls (Fig. 3) to position the camera. In this case, the camera rotates around the selected object. This cannot be done from a perspective view, or I don’t know how.
    You can first raise the camera to the desired height in the camera attributes, and then use the "Center to Selection" function.
    If you do not want to render from the director’s view, you can use the “Director to Camera” function (Fig. 5) and then the view from the camera (key 1) will be identical to the director’s view.

1.jpg
    801 x 402 - 90K
    2.jpg
    280 x 241 - 22K
    3.jpg
    140 x 182 - 9K
    4.jpg
    800 x 400 - 322K
    5.jpg
    276 x 167 - 18K
    edited January 2020

Slepalex: you are (largely) right on both accounts. However, the way I created the group of trees was by random replicating in a number of groups, leading to all kinds of trees landing on each other and not on the ground. It was my mistake not to put them in the grond at once, before I made a new group. I did not use a correct work-flow, that was the problem.

And, of course, you can also render a bird's eye view from the Director view (I never really use it and tend to forget about it). Part of the buttons in your fig. 3 also work when in the Camera view. Only the Camera track ball (large round button, blue arrow)) does not work when in Camera view. The arrows and small round buttons (red arrows) do work. When you choose track object (with the camera selected), these small buttons act similar to the track ball, by changing the angles of view.

track.JPG
    411 x 513 - 38K
    trackball.JPG
    330 x 444 - 27K
    edited January 2020
    Hansmar said:

And, of course, you can also render a bird's eye view from the Director view (I never really use it and tend to forget about it). Part of the buttons in your fig. 3 also work when in the Camera view. Only the Camera track ball (large round button, blue arrow)) does not work when in Camera view. The arrows and small round buttons (red arrows) do work. When you choose track object (with the camera selected), these small buttons act similar to the track ball, by changing the angles of view.

Thank you, I am in the know. Keywords: "Only the Camera track ball (large round button, blue arrow)) does not work when in Camera view." It's like scratching your right ear with your left hand. In the view from the camera, the selected object tries to escape from the field of view and the "Center Selection" command does not work. But you keep experimenting...
    ___

The "Track Object Name" function is useful when creating an animated movie. In our case, this is very inconvenient for several reasons.
    First, try to select the object you need from a long list of several hundred or thousands of "Copy of" even if you rename it to "Tree". I felt all this in my own skin. You can go and have a cup of coffee until the list goes to the end. And if your object is in the middle of the list, then you will not find it or you will not have time to stop scrolling.
    Secondly, even if you catch the desired object, then you are tormented to quickly get the desired camera position. The director's view makes it much faster and more convenient.
    To ease your torment, I will tell you one trick (see. Fig.), And you will solve the first problem. Put the sphere in the right place and name it "0Sphere 1". 0 at the beginning of the name ensures that the object will be at the beginning of the list, and you can easily snap a camera to it. You can make it hidden and not delete it during rendering. And then drag the XYZ sliders long and tedious to position the camera. Therefore, I can’t solve the second problem, and it’s better to turn to the director’s view.

6.jpg
    775 x 1035 - 147K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
    Hansmar said:

Slepalex: you are (largely) right on both accounts. However, the way I created the group of trees was by random replicating in a number of groups, leading to all kinds of trees landing on each other and not on the ground. It was my mistake not to put them in the grond at once, before I made a new group. I did not use a correct work-flow, that was the problem.

Hans, I understood little from this description. Can you explain your actions again on the appropriate forum thread? The problem of trees falling onto each other is described by me here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5224286/#Comment_5224286
    I did not understand the reasons for this phenomenon. Can you accompany your actions with screenshots? 

Hansmar - a very chilly snowy render, I like it.

Hansmar and Slepalex - thanks for your addition explanations on the camera - bird's eye view and the replication and IL, waiting for warmer days to started playing with Bryce.

This discussion has been closed.