Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited November 2019

welcs smiley

is passed sleepy time but want to play with the new shiny

the way it's set up as separate figures makes it versatile.  don't need missiles,  laser cannons could fit in there

Post edited by Mistara on

does the zevo fit controls do anything in carrara?

https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-3-male-s

• Finally downloaded Leon, thanks in part to prompting from Misty.

The jeans are supposed to have holes, but the holes are white in the jpeg texture map.  I can make the white invisible in the texture map, but the result is a black hole, and you can't see the leg underneath.

What am I missing?  Do I need to reedit the texture map into a PNG?

• Finally downloaded Leon, thanks in part to prompting from Misty.

The jeans are supposed to have holes, but the holes are white in the jpeg texture map.  I can make the white invisible in the texture map, but the result is a black hole, and you can't see the leg underneath.

Carrara misses the opacity maps in iray materials 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited December 2019

Finally downloaded Leon, thanks in part to prompting from Misty.

Just made a video on fixing transmaps in Carrara

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2019

Ah, a simple solution.  Thanks Vyusur, I didn't notice the jeans transparency map in your textures folder when I was initially poking around.

Your product just keeps getting better and better.

I also see some SSS maps for Leon's skin and eyes.  What channel do you load them into?

There is no shading domain for eyelashes in my model, so there is no place to put the lashes map.  Did I do something wrong in converting the figure?  Never mind, I figured out the lashes.  For me, they were a bit much for a boy, but I know that tastes vary.. :)  The lashes on the skin map look great anyway.

Last question - is there a way to apply the poses your provided, in Carrara?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

lashes need some carrara hairs magic

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you for your kind words. You did everything right. SSS channel in Carrara doesn't have option for texture map. It makes sense only if using octane plugin. As for lashes, there are two sets of lashes in Leon product.

The fiber lashes doesn't require transmap, the other one required transmap. Seems I provided the one. I made a video about using Leon in Carrara with his own poses just after Leon's release.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2019

Thanks, Vyusur.  Once again, it was my error about the poses.  They work fine!  I had failed to parent all the clothes to Leon after loading in Carrara.

I'm loving how easy it is to alter textures.  There are a lot less material zones, which is kind of a throwback to V1.  But with more natural joints and movement.

And the textures themselves are excellent.

A remarkable achievement!

Leon1 BW.png
    2700 x 1800 - 535K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027
    edited December 2019

Herchel Hoffmeyer's TRex 3

Not sure if Bunyip has this product or has reported on it.  There are some stray polygons in the head that don't move with the bones.  After posing, I was able to select the actor level, go to the vertex modeler animation mode, select the problem polygons, and adjust the bone influences.  At first, only the hip appeared in the bone list.  When I added the head bone, other bones that might influence those polys (neck...) appeared in the list.   I reduced the hip and increased the head.  

Interestingly, after selecting the polys, bone lists appeared for X, Y, and Z rotations!

trex 3 polys edit bones reduce hip increase head.jpg
    1910 x 964 - 249K
    trex 3b polys edit bones reduce hip increase head.jpg
    1920 x 967 - 252K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    Diomede said:

Herchel Hoffmeyer's TRex 3

Not sure if Bunyip has this product or has reported on it.  There are some stray polygons in the head that don't move with the bones.  After posing, I was able to select the actor level, go to the vertex modeler animation mode, select the problem polygons, and adjust the bone influences.  At first, only the hip appeared in the bone list.  When I added the head bone, other bones that might influence those polys (neck...) appeared in the list.   I reduced the hip and increased the head.  

Interestingly, after selecting the polys, bone lists appeared for X, Y, and Z rotations!

I don't have that one although I did seriously think about it, already have several T-Rex's in my Runtime. Interesting fault !

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027

Aha!  I have a dino that Bunyip does not.  Doubt there could be much improvment from earlier TRexes here and elsewhere, but I'm looking forward to experimenting.

G8F Toes - how trigger toe problem?

Want to experiment with the G8F toes after this TRex3 fix.  So, of course, all of the rotations that I am doing with Misty's preset and all the poses I apply perform as designed.  I am not getting the stray poly toe issues.  I know they are there.  Is there a basic pose preset that comes with G8F that when applied triggers the stray polygon problem?

edited December 2019
    Diomede said:

Aha!  I have a dino that Bunyip does not.  Doubt there could be much improvment from earlier TRexes here and elsewhere, but I'm looking forward to experimenting.

G8F Toes - how trigger toe problem?

Want to experiment with the G8F toes after this TRex3 fix.  So, of course, all of the rotations that I am doing with Misty's preset and all the poses I apply perform as designed.  I am not getting the stray poly toe issues.  I know they are there.  Is there a basic pose preset that comes with G8F that when applied triggers the stray polygon problem?

the height morph

i manually added those toe verts to the "actor" morph area with a text hack.

havent figured out how to do it in a preset modifier, cuz it's in the geometry section.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

a long way around now is to save out the unit from DS with the landing gears and/or whatever else as seperate OBJs and then import as morphs into the Carrara model

seeemples yes

Wow. So simple. That works? 

Mystarra said:

does the zevo fit controls do anything in carrara?

https://www.daz3d.com/fit-control-for-genesis-3-male-s

I bought one of the fit controls - not the Genesis 3 one though - and it did Nothing for Carrara even though I saved the object in DS as new. Haven't had the time or inclination to try again.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

https://www.daz3d.com/pounce-the-puma--plushies-20

Pounce has me stymied, but I can't tell if it's me or him. He loads to 50.3 percent, then wham Carrara closes.

I've tried to follow Misty's wonderful tutorial on changing weights, but with no luck. Again, not sure if it's user error.

Also tried saving as scene. Any hints, suggestions, advice would be gratefully received.

• probably mismatching nodes and bone names

also rigid groups can crash Carrara

Mystarra said:

Thank you! Can you tell me which are the geograft files, so I can watch for them in the future? I'm not sure what I'm looking for in that list.

edited December 2019

historically, they mention it in the product details.

the precious line is geografts.  https://www.daz3d.com/precious-tiger   ;

https://www.daz3d.com/posey-and-petunia-for-genesis-8-female  her nose is a geograft

Mystarra said:

https://www.daz3d.com/posey-and-petunia-for-genesis-8-female  her nose is a geograft

I remembered that's why Precious was a no go, but no geograft mention on the store page for Pounce (got my hopes up, lol). I thought maybe geoshell for fur. But there is a furless one to load. I still suspect you are right, just frustrating if the store page doesn't reference anymore. Thank you for the help!

Cbird said:
    Mystarra said:

I remembered that's why Precious was a no go, but no geograft mention on the store page for Pounce (got my hopes up, lol). I thought maybe geoshell for fur. But there is a furless one to load. I still suspect you are right, just frustrating if the store page doesn't reference anymore. Thank you for the help!

can ownly guess, don't own it.

guessing cause i see a path in the file list for anatomy.

if you load it in Daz Studio, umparent the eye lashes
    save it as a character preset, should strip out any extras, like ds scripts, 
    uncheck the save shape and materials,
    make it really base vanilla .   save the eyelashes as a separate figure.
    could test this plain character preset in carrara.

Mystarra said:
    Cbird said:
    Mystarra said:

Mystarra said:
    Cbird said:
    Mystarra said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give it all a try tomorrow and let you know. It's Christmas, I can dream, lol.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

does the figure load without the fur?

Hi Stezza, sadly no. Even without fur it purrs along to 50.3 percent loaded, then Carrara crashes. No message, just "poof". (My lack of technical language may be showing).

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

3du roaches did the same... I deleted the extra foot bones from them in DS and saved out with a new figure name and whammo.... they loaded

maybe same for that one  cool

• Not sure where to post this.

A few people out there may have noticed that I never post renders with Carrara hair.  It's mainly because I can't get Carrara hair products to work.

I've made my own hair in the hair room, and used the native hair content.  Really slow, but both work.

However, commercial products won't work at all.  If, for example, I open one of Phil's hairs, it shows up in the instances tray, but in the production window there is nothing there.  When I select the hair, manipulation tools lock into the zero point and won't budge. And if I do a spot render at the zero point, nothing is there.

My commercial Carrara hairs are filed in the correct place, Carrara>Presets>Hair.  I've tried loading them from a different location, but the result is the same.

I'm stumped. Be grateful for your help, thanks!

• you need to drag and parent Phil's hair to the model they are made for,

the word model in the hierarchy 

they only work on specific figures

some other hairs use a hair cap

• Thanks Wendy, that was very clear.

Yikes!  I had no idea that some of my Carrara hair products would be restricted to a particular figure. :( 

Is there any reasonable workaround?

Thanks Wendy, that was very clear.

Yikes!  I had no idea that some of my Carrara hair products would be restricted to a particular figure. :( 

Is there any reasonable workaround?

Well... no. Not reasonable. You see, the "Grow Regions" are specific to a mesh. So, for example, if the ReadMe says to drag the hair directly onto the Model line of Victoria 4, then the Grow Region was painted onto V4 somewhere (in this case the scalp of the head). 

I have several hair prop products for either V3 or 4 or Michael, whatever, that came with prop or conforming hair to complete the look of the hair. Lilsure Hair, by Aery Soul for example comes with a hair cap scalp. I use that as the mesh that I grow my hair on. Being a simple prop, I am able to model it within the Assemble room to make it fit the proportions of my Genesis 1 actress. The cool part about doing it this way is that I can store this in my browser and add it to anything that I can reshape that hair cap to, and the hair cap also makes sure that we don't see patches of skin through the hair during extreme animations.