New Daz-OptiTex Dynamic Clothes thread [Commercial]

Comments

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And of course, being an ex-costumier and a stickler for authenticity I tend to hate outfits where women are pictured wearing their underwear outside. Corsets are undergarments which are worn under the gown to shape the body before you don the dress.

The eighties disagreed with you. :-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And of course, being an ex-costumier and a stickler for authenticity I tend to hate outfits where women are pictured wearing their underwear outside. Corsets are undergarments which are worn under the gown to shape the body before you don the dress.

Yes, but I used to do Historical costumes, usually Victorian, or very early 19th century.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:

Yes, but I used to do Historical costumes, usually Victorian, or very early 19th century.

The eighties are historical - not quite sure how that happened, they didn't seem it at the time.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:

The eighties are historical - not quite sure how that happened, they didn't seem it at the time.

Yeah... so last Century

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

I'm playing with the free dynamic Betty Page tights, and I can't figure out how to get them to cling slower to her knees. I also want to change the texture to resemble those hose with the single seam going up the back.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=panty+hose+with+back+seam&qpvt=panty+hose+with+back+seam&FORM=IGRE

I can't tell from the template, though, where the middle of the back of the legs would be.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I'm playing with the free dynamic Betty Page tights, and I can't figure out how to get them to cling slower to her knees.

Not sure if you'll need the complete Dynamics Control plugin for this, but you need to select the leg surfaces (Piece and Piece Mirrored) then go into the Dynamic Clothing Panel sub-tab and turn the Friction way up.

And... I just looked myself, and the friction is already at maximum. Weird. What friction value do you see?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I can't tell from the template, though, where the middle of the back of the legs would be.[/quote

Usually what I do, with something like that, is load the template as the diffuse texture...often after I opened it in GIMP and added a layer with a couple of dots, where I think the front/back are located.

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

I'm playing with the free dynamic Betty Page tights, and I can't figure out how to get them to cling slower to her knees. I also want to change the texture to resemble those hose with the single seam going up the back.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=panty+hose+with+back+seam&qpvt=panty+hose+with+back+seam&FORM=IGRE

I can't tell from the template, though, where the middle of the back of the legs would be.

Go to the "panel" tab
    I select all panels by selecting the top node in the drop down
    Change "Shrink X%" and "Shrink Y%" to about 13
    Then drape.

The tights will shrink up to the leg.

Play with the shrink settings to get something you like.

Attached is very quick drape. I didn't adjust the rigging to fit the feet in this pose, obviously, but the rest is the standard auto fit one you fit the tights to the figure.

bp_tights.png
    730 x 1095 - 265K
    edited December 1969

Vanguard said:

Go to the "panel" tab
    Then drape.

Attached is very quick drape. I didn't adjust the rigging to fit the feet in this pose, obviously, but the rest is the standard auto fit one you fit the tights to the figure.

That helped a lot. I had only tried the 'x' setting, not the 'y' setting.

Now I just need to fix the heal poke-through and master this texture I'm attempting ...

test.jpg
    666 x 1000 - 122K
    edited December 2013

Now I just need to fix the heal poke-through and master this texture I'm attempting ...

My wife uses nail polish to stop runs... :lol:

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 2013

Vanguard said:

Go to the "panel" tab
    Then drape.

I am not sure you are aware of this but it is worth mentioning. Once you are satisfied with the way a drape looks, even if not perfect or has some poke through, you can freeze it by right clicking on the Dynamic Cloth tab and selecting "Freeze Simulation". (WARNING - This cannot be undone. I usually save the scene off before I do this in case I want to go back to the draped DC) This converts the DC into a prop or figure ( I believe) and you can then adjust the underlying figure with morphs or scaling or visiblity as you would with any other prop and it wont rest the DC.

The other trick for slight poke is to increase the panel "thickness". This will make the DC's fabric thicker and can eliminate slight poke through, although with transparent clothes like net stockings you have to be careful it doesn't create to much volume on the thin fabric.

Post edited by Vanguard on
    edited December 1969

Vanguard said:
    Vanguard said:

Go to the "panel" tab
    Then drape.

I am not sure you are aware of this but it is worth mentioning. Once you are satisfied with the way a drape looks, even if not perfect or has some poke through, you can freeze it by right clicking on the Dynamic Cloth tab and selecting "Freeze Simulation". (WARNING - This cannot be undone. I usually save the scene off before I do this in case I want to go back to the draped DC) This converts the DC into a prop or figure ( I believe) and you can then adjust the underlying figure with morphs or scaling or visiblity as you would with any other prop and it wont rest the DC.

The other trick for slight poke is to increase the panel "thickness". This will make the DC's fabric thicker and can eliminate slight poke through, although with transparent clothes like net stockings you have to be careful it doesn't create to much volume on the thin fabric.

I do know about the freeze ability. I think the only thing I actually like about DS4.6 is that that ability doesn't screw-up upon re-load like it did in DS3 .... lol.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

This could've been mentioned elsewhere, but one thing I actually do lately is to apply a smoothing modifier to the dynamic clothes. At times it helps to make the clothing item retain more form, especially when I drape it on a character it was not designed for. Interestingly enough this didn't destroy the draping process as such so far - not sure if this is working by design or just pure luck.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    This could've been mentioned elsewhere, but one thing I actually do lately is to apply a smoothing modifier to the dynamic clothes. At times it helps to make the clothing item retain more form, especially when I drape it on a character it was not designed for. Interestingly enough this didn't destroy the draping process as such so far - not sure if this is working by design or just pure luck.

How would I try that, apply a smoothing modifier? Is it done prior to drape?

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

I don't think it matters really, but it potentially safes time to do it afterwards depending on how DAZ Studio does the calculation. It doesn't seem to interfere with the drape as such. At least I didn't experience any drawbacks so far. I applied the smoothing modifier to the actual clothing and not the clothing rig. I think when "Base Figure" is selected it tries to smooth in direction to how the original clothing was shaped and with "Generic" it is adapts potentially better.

It helped me for example when a dress was intended for V6 and I then draped the dress to a figure with less breast size. Without smoothing modifier the excess cloth is getting quite bulgy (even with shrink modifier), but the smoothing modifier actually managed to make it ... well smooth.

Anyway, not sure if this is an intended and wanted feature, just happened to come across it while experimenting.

edited December 2013

Renpatsu said:
    I don't think it matters really, but it potentially safes time to do it afterwards depending on how DAZ Studio does the calculation. It doesn't seem to interfere with the drape as such. At least I didn't experience any drawbacks so far. I applied the smoothing modifier to the actual clothing and not the clothing rig. I think when "Base Figure" is selected it tries to smooth in direction to how the original clothing was shaped and with "Generic" it is adapts potentially better.

It helped me for example when a dress was intended for V6 and I then draped the dress to a figure with less breast size. Without smoothing modifier the excess cloth is getting quite bulgy (even with shrink modifier), but the smoothing modifier actually managed to make it ... well smooth.

Anyway, not sure if this is an intended and wanted feature, just happened to come across it while experimenting.

So how do I try it?

I think I am almost ready with the new texture ... What do ya'll think?

draft_1.jpg
    666 x 960 - 44K
    Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

I tried to use the biblical items from the optitex store and got an error with the shawl for V4. When I looked at the files, there was one that had no filename, just an extension. Has anyone else even tried these items?

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    I tried to use the biblical items from the optitex store and got an error with the shawl for V4. When I looked at the files, there was one that had no filename, just an extension. Has anyone else even tried these items?

Dana

I've used them, but it was some time ago, in DS3 ... Have you tried reinstalling?

Strangers_in_the_Stable_by_Jim_Laughter_-_for_daz.jpg
    495 x 777 - 81K
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Dana

I've used them, but it was some time ago, in DS3 ... Have you tried reinstalling?

It's just a zip file. I did open it and drag the items into the folders again, replacing. But in the zip file, in the
    content/data/3_0/ShawlV4_14739_Shape/maps/
    folder there is a file named .dsv. There is no filename, just the extension. The other two files are OptitexUVs.dsv and uv.dsv. I tried deleting the file that had no filename and then I got a different error, but still an error. It's not like the DAZ3D store, there's no apparent way to re-download paid items. I can't even find a way to log in, there's only a LoginPA link in the menu. And who has heard from Simon? It seems he's been missing in action for over a year. I don't know what to do to remedy this. I abandoned the scene I was making with this stuff.

Does it only work in DS3? I am using 4.6.

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

It's just a zip file. I did open it and drag the items into the folders again, replacing. But in the zip file, in the
    folder there is a file named .dsv. There is no filename, just the extension. The other two files are OptitexUVs.dsv and uv.dsv. I tried deleting the file that had no filename and then I got a different error, but still an error. It's not like the DAZ3D store, there's no apparent way to re-download paid items. I can't even find a way to log in, there's only a LoginPA link in the menu. And who has heard from Simon? It seems he's been missing in action for over a year. I don't know what to do to remedy this. I abandoned the scene I was making with this stuff.

Dana

I created that book cover in DS3, so I assume it still does. I haven't tried to use them in 4.6, but my other old dynamics work in 4.6 ok. Have you tried to email Martin directly? I had a brief email chat with him this past summer.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Vanguard said:

Then drape.

Note, there's a tricky gotcha here. Shrinking on X or Y is aligned according to the texture orientation. If the texture for e.g. a tights leg is laid out upright on the UV map, all is well. If it's laid out sideways, the X and Y shrink effects are swapped. If shrinking the surface one way seems to backfire or not do anything effective, try swapping the X and Y values.

This is another side-effect of the way Optitex dynamics are created, the program assumes this is going to be made as a real object, so it lays out the UVmap for most efficient use of a roll of cloth. This might or might not match the most efficient use of UVmap real estate for a 3D model. Not every Optitex model has this weird orientation setup, but I've noticed quite a few of them do as I poke and tweak settings to fit the things onto figures they weren't designed for. I can usually get there in the end, but it's fiddly. Good luck (you'll need it).

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

I created that book cover in DS3, so I assume it still does. I haven't tried to use them in 4.6, but my other old dynamics work in 4.6 ok. Have you tried to email Martin directly? I had a brief email chat with him this past summer.

No, I haven't emailed him. The forum only shows his profile and PM link, no email address. I have asked things of him in here (the forums) in the past, with no reply for some time. I hope he is well.

Dana

edited December 1969

So how do I try it?

To apply a smoothing modifier,

Select the Dynamic Clothing figure
    Got to the "Edit" menu and select "Figure > Geometry > Apply Smoothing Modifier"
    This will add the Smoothing option / dial to the figures Parameters

And I think the texture is great, quite the period piece :D

edited December 1969

Vanguard said:

So how do I try it?

To apply a smoothing modifier,

Select the Dynamic Clothing figure
    Got to the "Edit" menu and select "Figure > Geometry > Apply Smoothing Modifier"
    This will add the Smoothing option / dial to the figures Parameters

And I think the texture is great, quite the period piece :D

Thanks for that smoothing technique :D It will save me a lot of postwork. I did a comparison on the M4 shirt. Check out the difference...

Can this be applied multiple times? I tried it on the pants but it caused poke-through.

Two_Sides_3_-_smoothing.jpg
    666 x 1000 - 203K
    Two_Sides_3_-_no_smoothing.jpg
    666 x 1000 - 204K
    edited December 1969

Can this be applied multiple times? I tried it on the pants but it caused poke-through.

A lot of whether or not it can depends on what you are using as a collision object for the item. You can only set one per item...so you can't have the shirt colliding with the pants and Genesis, for example...but you should be able to have both shirt and pants collide with Genesis. It takes a little experimenting to find the 'happy' combinations...

• Lord MajesticLord Majestic Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

No, I haven't emailed him. The forum only shows his profile and PM link, no email address. I have asked things of him in here (the forums) in the past, with no reply for some time. I hope he is well.

Dana
    The problem isn't the .dsv file, it's the 'content' folder. DS 4+ doesn't use the 'content' folder it uses the 'My Library' folder.

If with older zips made for DS3 you copy the 'content' folder into your 'My Library' folder it won't work. What you have to do is open the 'content' folder in the zip and copy it's contents into your 'My Library' folder. The biblical stuff works fine in 4.6 then.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

Dana
    The problem isn't the .dsv file, it's the 'content' folder. DS 4+ doesn't use the 'content' folder it uses the 'My Library' folder.

If with older zips made for DS3 you copy the 'content' folder into your 'My Library' folder it won't work. What you have to do is open the 'content' folder in the zip and copy it's contents into your 'My Library' folder. The biblical stuff works fine in 4.6 then.

I think it works or me for the same reason (I think). I never copy the 'my library' folder. I open up the files until I get to the content folder. Then I copy those contents into my runtime.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

Dana

I don't think that matters. The other three dynamic items loaded just fine. They were all made at the same time and bought at the same time. I don't think DS cares what the folder is called, as long as it is registered there so to speak. I have already done renders with things in the content/Runtime folders that I've always used. I "install" everything to there, unless it is specifically for DS4, then I let it install where it wants (usually plug-ins we're talking about here), and it picks the correct structure based on whether I checked DS3 or DS4. And both are also not in My Library.

Somehow I think a file without a name is a problem...for DS as well as for Windows. Windows will allow it, but it probably can have "unexpected results".

Dana

• Lord MajesticLord Majestic Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

Dana

I don't think that matters. The other three dynamic items loaded just fine. They were all made at the same time and bought at the same time. I don't think DS cares what the folder is called, as long as it is registered there so to speak. I have already done renders with things in the content/Runtime folders that I've always used. I "install" everything to there, unless it is specifically for DS4, then I let it install where it wants (usually plug-ins we're talking about here), and it picks the correct structure based on whether I checked DS3 or DS4. And both are also not in My Library.

Somehow I think a file without a name is a problem...for DS as well as for Windows. Windows will allow it, but it probably can have "unexpected results".

Dana

So how can I have just rendered this in 4.6 by following my method? Loaded and rendered with no reported errors, and the .dsv file is there just as for you.

Test.jpg
    600 x 600 - 45K
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

Dana

Dana

So how can I have just rendered this in 4.6 by following my method? Loaded and rendered with no reported errors, and the .dsv file is there just as for you.

That's not the shawl, for one thing. For another thing, I might have a corrupted file somewhere...but if so, it's corrupted in the zip file. That's my issue. I can't just go to my Product Library and download a fresh version.

Dana