Opinions on Marvelous Designer Video Tutorial?

1235»

Comments

• Looks great. When can I get it? I want it NOW!!!!

It's for those wanting to learn more about using MD. There's a promo video here: https://youtu.be/jMzkfaPHcSs

• heh...it's supposed to come out early next week!

• Great, thank you.

• And it's out! Marvelous Designer Redux Video Tutorial

It jumped in my cart surprise! Got it and your previous one. Now download time with a very very slow connection.

• Huh... this must've been made before MD9 came out, because MD9 now has its own retopo feature within the program itself. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217
    Finlaena said:

Huh... this must've been made before MD9 came out, because MD9 now has its own retopo feature within the program itself. 

the retopo was in beta of MD8 too. 

Looking at the contents listed in the tutorial, it mentions under retopology: "retopo inside of marvelous designer"

• It goes over retopo in MD as well as Zbrush...pros and cons all around.
  • vpaintersuevpaintersue Posts: 63
    edited December 2019

My sister and I are working on clothing in MD and Zbrush.  This is a dress that we created in MD and exported back to Daz. We can do d'force on the garment but would like to add some thickness in Zbrush and create some seams and straighten out some of the wrinkles.  Is there a special brush that you use to create the seams in Zbrush? We would like some feedback if possible on how to fix some of these issues. We have both tutorials from Dark Edge Design and have learn quite a bit, but still have alot to learn.

aster with ruffled dress with blush jpeg.jpg
    1854 x 3000 - 2M
    Post edited by vpaintersue on
  • DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited December 2019
    There are Zbrush seam brushes available from a number of sources "Google it!" (gumroad, artstation) and pay attention to the chapter about normal maps because that's exactly what I'm doing is creating a clothing seam. Sorry I'm away from my computer or I would provide you some links! Your outfit looks great!
    Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,667

You could make your own seams brush too. One brush that is great for that is the damstandard brush. Go into brush properties, turn it on freehand and turn on accucurve. If the seam is going in use as is, if the seam is going out, hold alt.

• Thanks so much for your advice!  We appreciate your time and information.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

I think I will buy Marvelous Designer this winter if they do that $200 perpetual license sale again.

i don't know whether or not anyone's mentioned this on-thread or not.  but:

marvelous designer is running their annual black friday sale through the end of the month.  30% off a personal perpetual license.

j

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited April 2020

So I have just finished the two excellent and informative MD tutorials from DarkEdgeDesign. I would like to replicate what he does to save out all of the Daz JCMs for Genesis 8 Male in one static folder, and though I understand where to find a single Daz JCM, and how to un-hide it to get the correct name, I would like to know how I can make sure I have every one of them. Is there somehow a way to bring up a list of them in parameters, or elsewhere, so I  can be confident I have all of the positions necessary.

P.S. - Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to assign material zones for garments?

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 4.46.18 PM.png
    1056 x 1640 - 787K
    Post edited by Fungible User on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

I dont know about a good tutorial for material zones.  There are a few circulating tutorials in this forum and youtube for how to do it within Daz Studio, but i think that can be a slightly tedious way to do it.

In Blender it is a bit easier.  If you just click the material icon/tab in Blender, assigning material zones is pretty intuitive if you already are familiar with making selections of polygons in blender.  Which itself is very easy.  I didnt need a tutorial to figure this out.

You can also assign Material Zones to OBJs within Marvelous Designer itself.  The material zones will inherit your fabric names.  If your Marvelous Designer fabric names have spaces in them, this wont work properly because an OBJ material cannot have a space in it.  Also any fabrics with same name will be grouped together as a single material zone.

• Fungible UserFungible User Posts: 456
    edited April 2020
    lilweep said:

I dont know about a good tutorial for material zones.  There are a few circulating tutorials in this forum and youtube for how to do it within Daz Studio, but i think that can be a slightly tedious way to do it.

In Blender it is a bit easier.  If you just click the material icon/tab in Blender, assigning material zones is pretty intuitive if you already are familiar with making selections of polygons in blender.  Which itself is very easy.  I didnt need a tutorial to figure this out.

You can also assign Material Zones to OBJs within Marvelous Designer itself.  The material zones will inherit your fabric names.  If your Marvelous Designer fabric names have spaces in them, this wont work properly because an OBJ material cannot have a space in it.  Also any fabrics with same name will be grouped together as a single material zone.

Thanks very much Lilweep, that actually makes a bit of sense. I thought perhaps you could assign them in zbrush..for the life of me I seem to remember a YouTube on it somewhere, buuut, I didn't save it. But thank you, most appreciated, I will make multiple instances of the base fabric and assign them different colours and names and see if that works. Didn't know about the spaces thing..every day is a school day it would seem.

Just found the Marvelous Designer Thread. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5073521/#Comment_5073521 there seems to be a discussion concerning this.

Post edited by Fungible User on