Opinions on Marvelous Designer Video Tutorial?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    marble said:
    barbult said:

MDD works perfectly so far. I draped the clothes on both of these women in MD. One is wearing the dress I created. The other is wearing the pants I created and the men's t-shirt freebie from Marvelous Designer. The dog didn't get any clothes, poor thing.

So to be clear, you are now doing all the draping in MD and importing the garment back to DAZ Studio as an .obj file which covers the pre-posed character already in your DAZ Studio scene, right? No dForce required, no conforming or fit adjusting either - perfect fit for that particular pose. And if you change the pose slightly, you need to go back to MD and re-drape? Are you finding this an efficient workflow? Just interested because I have been intending to do the same for months and have just not got around to it - I think I keep putting it off because of the belief that I need to do all the MD tutorials before I get to that stage but you seem to have reached it in no time.

Yes, that is what I did for the images that I said were draped in MD. You have to have the pose finalized first, or it becomes extemely impractical. It is not flexible at all.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217
    edited November 2019

There needs to be a specific Marvelous Designer thread.

Anyway, I found this freebie garment on sharecg.  I made a small number of adjustments to add a bit more detail and fitted to G8M.

I dont have Daz installed on my laptop so just did the A pose.

Genesis 8 Male dressed_1 (2).png
    1080 x 1920 - 1M
    Genesis 8 Male dressed_1 (3).png
    1080 x 1920 - 2M
    Genesis 8 Male dressed_1.png
    720 x 1280 - 664K
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • That looks great, now rig ittttttttt!!!
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    peenwolf said:

OK, I started one. I put it in the Technical Help forum which is not as busy as the Commons so might stay on the first page a while longer for people to notice. I hope it attracts some interest. 

That looks great, now rig ittttttttt!!!

That's the hard/boring part though...  (Also, I need to wait for money to buy a new monitor for my PC before i attempt that. Currently can only use my laptop and it's tedious doing complex tasks with such small screen real estate available).

marble said:
    peenwolf said:

OK, I started one. I put it in the Technical Help forum which is not as busy as the Commons so might stay on the first page a while longer for people to notice. I hope it attracts some interest. 

Cool. I have it bookmarked now.

Maybe you could start off by adding your Freebie Garment post above? 

That looks great, now rig ittttttttt!!!

Is there any point to rigging it?

I had a chat with a Poser user on DeviantArt and he maintains that he found trying to get MD garments rigged and Poser-ready was a complete waste of time and he now does exactly what @barbult is doing already - import posed OBJ  to a ready-posed character in Poser and render. He does all his draping simulations in MD.

i guess the point of rigging it would be to create content for other Daz users, i.e., as a store item.

peenwolf said:

i guess the point of rigging it would be to create content for other Daz users, i.e., as a store item.

Sure, but for most of us who are not commercial content creators, it seems an unnecessary extra step, right?

@DarkEdgeDesign, I'm interested to know whether creating content for sharing/selling is going to be the focus of the new tutorial? 

barbult said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:

MDD works perfectly so far. I draped the clothes on both of these women in MD. One is wearing the dress I created. The other is wearing the pants I created and the men's t-shirt freebie from Marvelous Designer. The dog didn't get any clothes, poor thing.

So to be clear, you are now doing all the draping in MD and importing the garment back to DAZ Studio as an .obj file which covers the pre-posed character already in your DAZ Studio scene, right? No dForce required, no conforming or fit adjusting either - perfect fit for that particular pose. And if you change the pose slightly, you need to go back to MD and re-drape? Are you finding this an efficient workflow? Just interested because I have been intending to do the same for months and have just not got around to it - I think I keep putting it off because of the belief that I need to do all the MD tutorials before I get to that stage but you seem to have reached it in no time.

Yes, that is what I did for the images that I said were draped in MD. You have to have the pose finalized first, or it becomes extemely impractical. It is not flexible at all.

I don't want to clutter this thread (about the new tutorial) so I'll respond/ask in the new MD general thread : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/364011/the-marvelous-designer-thread#latest

edited November 2019

I just tried adding the belt loops to my pants. Wow, that was an excellent lesson. It was tough, but so rewarding when I got it done. Next I'm jumping ahead to the zipper flap lesson. I'll save pockets for later.

Edit: Oops now I see that I have to delete linked editing to do the fly, so I'd better do the pockets first.

Edit again: I finished! Oh, yes, I made an avatar for G8M and made the pants for him.

G8M MD Tutorial Pants.jpg
    1538 x 1153 - 710K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Great work.

• DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited November 2019
    marble said:

I don't want to clutter this thread (about the new tutorial) so I'll respond/ask in the new MD general thread : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/364011/the-marvelous-designer-thread#latest

Yes please do Marble as this thread is supposed to be about the video tut! wink

Great work there Barbult!! Once you do the fly area you'll probably feel there's a better way to do it from what I showed...that's good though! As you start working your way through stuff you'll become more comfortable and will want to refine your technique. Those pleated pockets are a bit of a mind warp aren't they! laugh

Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
    marble said:

Which is why I created the new thread. But I did ask a tutorial related question which you seem to have skipped past.

• It's for those wanting to learn more about using MD. There's a promo video here: https://youtu.be/jMzkfaPHcSs

It's for those wanting to learn more about using MD. There's a promo video here: https://youtu.be/jMzkfaPHcSs

OK thanks. I had not seen that promo so now I have a better idea. It does seem to concentrate on setting up rigged clothing with morphs and JCMs which is why I asked the question about whether that is really necessary if we can just import the ready-posed .obj into a scene. I have no doubt, however, that those wishing to create clothing that can be used independently of MD will find a lot of good information in such a tutorial.

I kind of want to get into content creation (once I learn a lot more) so these tutorials about JCMs, rigid follow nodes, and morphs are very helpful.  It looks like it covers many things I was curious about.

I was wondering, in general for a clothing product in the Daz store, what kind of morph support do you need?  Is it just JCMs or do you need to support a bunch of other morphs like specific morphs for popular figures and specific morphs for popular body morphs?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I'm not aware of a minimum requirement for supporting figures in clothing products, what I did for my recent Hula Outfit was to look at which characters and body morphs others were including and followed their lead. A lot will depend on how well it Auto-Fits too - try a few different characters and see if there are any particular problem areas.

marble said:

Great work there Barbult!! Once you do the fly area you'll probably feel there's a better way to do it from what I showed...that's good though! As you start working your way through stuff you'll become more comfortable and will want to refine your technique. Those pleated pockets are a bit of a mind warp aren't they! laugh

I need to fix my fly so it goes left over right, since I am making men's pants for G8M. Currently I have it backwards. I am in the process of doing it differently. The fly is not normally sewn on as a separate piece in real clothing. I am attaching the extension to the under side. Wish me luck!

barbult said:
    marble said:

I need to fix my fly so it goes left over right, since I am making men's pants for G8M. Currently I have it backwards. I am in the process of doing it differently. The fly is not normally sewn on as a separate piece in real clothing. I am attaching the extension to the under side. Wish me luck!

I'm very impressed by how quickly you are progressing. 

• JCM's are a must for DAZ content, as far as figure support that is vendor optional.

Barbult the Layer option can help with clothing that is laying on top of each other if your sim goes wonky, can also trying lowering particle distance for just that piece.

marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:

I'm very impressed by how quickly you are progressing. 

I'm addicted. I'm spending hours and hours playing with this. I've been sewing (real) clothing since I was a teenager, so by now I have an intuitive understanding of what pattern pieces look like and how they go together. That gives me a leg up, I'm sure. What I didn't know anything about was how to use Marvelous Designer. That is where the tutorial was a godsend. Just follow along and you will be creating in no time. 

JCM's are a must for DAZ content, as far as figure support that is vendor optional.

Barbult the Layer option can help with clothing that is laying on top of each other if your sim goes wonky, can also trying lowering particle distance for just that piece.

The issue of which side of the pants was on top was my own fault. I can't blame MD layers this time, but it is a good tip. I saw that in the tutorial. I saw that you were creating for G8F and I was doing G8M, so I figured I had to reverse it. I was wrong. I should have looked before I leaped to the wrong conclusion. blush

I watched the "extras" section of the tutorial last night. Now I am adding a button to the pants.

• You're getting your hands dirty and this is exactly "who" the tut is made for, people who can follow along, see how it works...and then throw in their own ideas!

edited November 2019

Finally I got the fly reversed and the button added. Here is G8M in his new pants.

Tutorial Pants Finished Button Fly Left over Right G8M_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited November 2019

Hope this is not taken as a criticism. I've only ever seen pants with those patch pockets on the thigh sides, not front. Maybe the pattern layout didn't allow for that (going across seams)?

pants.jpg
    432 x 879 - 34K
    Post edited by marble on

That looks like a job that free sewing can handle. It is like the belt loops that stradle the side seams.

edited November 2019

Yup, the tutorial tips on free sewing taught me what I needed to know to put the pockets on the hips. Here is a screenshot of them in MD. I haven't exported them to Daz Studio yet. 

MD Pants Pockets on Hips.jpg
    956 x 1374 - 73K