Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, Guss

Chohole- wow so cute.

Guss – the gems done in hexagon are awesome.

Earlier today I tried to “Like” a few of the Bryce images in Horo’s, Chohole, Guss and Dangerlad’s galleries. Although I was logged in, I was asked to log in. I comment on one of Guss’s images and it appears as Anonymous. Any ideas Why???

Anyway for most of the day I couldn’t post.

Yes, logging into your account isn't the same as logging into the forum.
    You have to be logged into your account to 'like' (and use your name to comment on pictures) in the Gallery.

Click the 'My Account' account link you see at the top right of this page, next to 'Log Out'.
    :)

You will appear as anonymous when you comment on images in the Gallery if you don't already have a gallery of your own set up.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You will appear as anonymous when you comment on images in the Gallery if you don't already have a gallery of your own set up.

I didn't know that thanks Pam. :)
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

slowly but surely I'm reigning in the excess. this is actually only a preview render. the transparent bubble idea didn't work no matter what I did, it would just block out the light entirely. so now I'm just using ranged lighting for the ambience.

fgdfgdfggd.png
    1421 x 653 - 424K
    Post edited by useroperator on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2013

Phew...Mermaid..that last one is 'super'. I'm not really into objects, or Wings 3d, but sometimes an object posted here wishes I was.

I now it is a simple matter of downloading, studying the necessaries, but the actual thought of starting into a new 'ware becomes daunting at times (a curse also is my stubborn attitude, and a wanting to 'master' one 'ware before moving on to another - never, of course, achievable). In any case, love this work...whatever it means, or stands for.

Most works, sometimes, 'stand on the shoulders of giants' that preceed them, but they are works still unique, I think.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks TheSavage64 and Horo.
    I was thinking of trying it in WIngs but I just can't get on with it.
    I used to do stuff like this in Truespace but have not used it for a few years.
    I will try the sym lattice and see how it goes.

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Thanks TheSavage64 and Horo.
    I was thinking of trying it in WIngs but I just can't get on with it.
    I used to do stuff like this in Truespace but have not used it for a few years.
    I will try the sym lattice and see how it goes.

Another thought I had was that you could do it with Metaballs too.
    Draw a path and then attach metaballs to it along it's length. Horo has a tutorial about making a bending pipe which you could adapt the same principal. To get the subtle alterations in handle thickness, you can make the individual metaballs slightly bigger or elongate them along which ever axis you need them to be.

edited December 1969

Another thought I had was that you could do it with Metaballs too.
    Draw a path and then attach metaballs to it along it’s length. Horo has a tutorial about making a bending pipe which you could adapt the same principal. To get the subtle alterations in handle thickness, you can make the individual metaballs slightly bigger or elongate them along which ever axis you need them to be.

Thanks again Dave. I'll use that as plan B.

edited December 1969

No problem... except I don't have a link to the tutorial (Horo will be along tomorrow and he's ultra organised so he'll be able to post it).

Here's a very short animation I did at the beginning of the year using this technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZIGu55CIXQ

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thanks. And thank you for trying to comment on my gallery images.

@Horo: Thank you. Yes, made that object using Hexagon. And I can't remember how I made it. I've been trying to remember since I saw your question, trying in Hexagon, but so far I'm drawing a blank. Which has me bugged.

@user.operator: You could try using a negative radial light to soak up some of that light. That image keeps getting better each time you post it.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

todays free thing is,,, http://www.daz3d.com/december-freebies

free.jpg
    246 x 319 - 53K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@user.operator - if this is a TA render, using partly transparent "light-dimmers" won't work as expected. If you use an HDRI from inside, make a specular map from it, using a low exponent (10 or so). This will distribute the light in the HDRI and the light gets more evenly distributed.

@StuartB4 - I think Dave refers to the Flex-Pipe tutorial. That could be also a method to create such an object. The tutorials are all on my website, go to Raytracing > Tutorials > Bryce Page 1 > Bryce: Flexible Pipes. They are available online, as zip to open offline in the browser or as PDF. Here is the direct link to the PDF: How to create flexible pipes. It is actually an idea of David's, I just made the tutorial.

@Dave - uhm ultra-organised? Well, I do use to ponder hard where to put something that I can find it again later. I usually fail because I forgot which logic I had applied. :red:

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

@horo it is a TA with an inside HDR light but I didn't use any specular map. I actually tried to make a specular map, but bryce crashes. the HDR definitely lengthens the render times substantially, although, the HDR has no effect on the final image quality in that image, because if I recall correctly I disabled it after and it rendered essentially the same.

finally got it to make a specular, and it's rendering, definitely looks like it's having some effect so far, although I don't know if it's going to be an eye pleasing effect.

Post edited by useroperator on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Thanks Horo, Guss

Chohole- wow so cute.

Guss – the gems done in hexagon are awesome.

Earlier today I tried to “Like” a few of the Bryce images in Horo’s, Chohole, Guss and Dangerlad’s galleries. Although I was logged in, I was asked to log in. I comment on one of Guss’s images and it appears as Anonymous. Any ideas Why???

Anyway for most of the day I couldn’t post.

Yes, logging into your account isn't the same as logging into the forum.
    You have to be logged into your account to 'like' (and use your name to comment on pictures) in the Gallery.

Click the 'My Account' account link you see at the top right of this page, next to 'Log Out'.

Thanks Dave and Chohole. I’m still toying with the idea of making a gallery, for now I am only browsing the Bryce galleries by clicking on the links in the signatures. For now I can live with Anonymous. lol

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

Jay-thanks. Wings 3D was easy to learn following David’s tutorials. Give it a try.

Guss – you welcome, if you or anyone else sees "Anonymous" commenting 9 out of 10 it will be me. ;)

User – the blue dragon looks nice.

edited December 1969

@user.operator - creating a specular map from an HDRI can be done in the IBL tab. Just enable it and set the Exponent. In the original Obscure Lighting scheme, TA Optimization must be disabled to make it work. Perhaps, you use it differently. Experimenting is always welcome (that's how we find new things) tough it makes helping and providing tips more difficult.

edited December 1969

Thanks again Dave and Horo.
    Still working on it.

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I been a bit quiet these past few days but I have been check this thread to see what other users have been doing and I have enjoyed all the renders I have seen on this thread. The main reason I haven't posted is because I haven't had any inspiration as to a render but no longer I am working on a project that I think has come out pretty good. I realize that it needs a little more work and possibly more "stuff" as it is a bit bare. I have enjoyed all the renders I have seen on this thread.

It is a model of an office where I work. I built the model in Wings3d starting with a plane object. The trees in the background outside the office are from Bryce's Tree lab. I light the space with a square parallel light and obscure TA lighting based on Horo's video about lighting interiors. The "floor" is is using David's Kitchen carpet material and the ceiling tile is a picture of a ceiling tile I pull off the Interwebs. The off yellow object just left of center in the back of the room is a Heater/AC unit.

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Corner_Office_2.jpg
    1434 x 995 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - this is a good start but for us a bit early for critic or tips. One thing doesn't fit for me: the ceiling seems too bright.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 2013

Still playing catch - up. Running late, running slow, too much running around...

Dave's buddha and his chums came out very nicely indeed - if I didn't know I wouldn't of said it was a Bryce render! There are none of the hallmarks, it looks highly plausible, just slightly more real than real. Too sharp, too clean, too perfect.

Horo's already observed that the ceiling above looks overly bright, check out the ambient channel for the material maybe?

OK well I've been running off a few material tests, fellow artist ForbiddenWhispers passed some photo's over to me which I've been converting into seamless textures with associated maps, a fiddly process, and now I'm seeing how they turn out in Bryce using a variety of methods. Here's some bricks and some gravel.

Edit. Both use HDRI's by Horo to provide some of the light and background reflections.

Gravel_test2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 631K
    Brick_wall_test1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 2013

Looking really good David.....I could live without the creepy spiders though.... EEEKKKK... The ceiling in the office is wild with the pattern going different directions ...seamless textures huh??? That would be cool to learn.....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@David - you used your time well. The brick wall is so bumpy that it really looks real. The gravel looks great, too, but is difficult to appreciate fully because of the DOF. On the other hand, that render is just beautiful with the warm light and the soft curved model on the sharp gravel.

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - this is a good start but for us a bit early for critic or tips. One thing doesn’t fit for me: the ceiling seems too bright.

Horo, the main reason the ceiling is bright is because it is right up against the parallel light that is lighting the scene. If I move the light down to darken the ceiling I get an ugly discoloration/line wherever I place the light (see attached low RPP render). I did watch the video you did about lighting interiors using obscure lighting. I will most likely watch it again. I do admit that moving the light down does darken the ceiling tiles.

Horo’s already observed that the ceiling above looks overly bright, check out the ambient channel for the material maybe?

@David - While the Ambient channel of the ceiling material is fully white (255, 255, 255) the ambiance is set to 0%. I think as I stated above, I think the reason the ceiling is so bright is because the parallel light is very close to the ceiling.

The ceiling in the office is wild with the pattern going different directions ...seamless textures huh??? That would be cool to learn…..Trish

Trish - I am attaching the picture I used for the tile. I pulled it for the Internet and in Bryce made sure that "Repeat Tiling" was selected and "Pict Interpolation" was deselected.

75400_P_500.jpg
    500 x 500 - 31K
    CO_4rpp.jpg
    1434 x 995 - 2M
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

While the gravel image took over an hour, thanks to using DOF and TA and other fancy tricks through premium rendering. This one took a few seconds. Have found a way to use hypertextures to control the grazing angle reflection. So it is employed here to make the ground look moist without looking shiny (well that is what I was aiming for).

Bark_test1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 594K
    edited December 2013

Those bricks look really great David... The bump is about perfect. If there's one minor criticism, it's the patch of bright specularity which looks a bit wrong when you look at the full sized image.

Thanks for the comments about Buddha and his Bhuddies. I did try to add as much imperfection into the materials as I could. I also tried depth of field but it was either not enough or too much and I couldn't find a suitable and realistic looking setting.

Meanwhile, today I've gone back to a more generic type Bryce render. A simple landscape with a good sky.

MoorlandFence.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 228K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - how about reducing diffuse on the ceiling (if you have any) or diffusion on the parallel light. If you are at 1, you can set the colour to 127/127/127 and get the output of 0.5 or to 63/63/63 to get an output of 0.25.

@David - that large leaf is really an annoying give-away that this is tiled.

@Dave - the sky and the landscape do look great, so does the fence. Without the fence, I see a huge landscape and fir trees; with the fence, the spiky things look strange to me.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Dave - the sky and the landscape do look great, so does the fence. Without the fence, I see a huge landscape and fir trees; with the fence, the spiky things look strange to me.

They were supposed to look like weed type plants, but I realise they didn't come out exactly as I had planned. :)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

They were supposed to look like weed type plants, but I realise they didn't come out exactly as I had planned. :)

I have to admit I looked at it and thought "that is one huge fence''

edited December 2013

Dave: the weeds look like baby pine trees that get planted here where I live ....when they cut down the large growing ones...there are fields that look like these in your picture...Cool Trish

pine_trees.jpg
    576 x 393 - 247K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited December 1969

Won't react to everything; too much!
    Won't put up anything soon. I'm really struggling with an 'icy' texture (yes: Frozen) that in some places keeps washing out. I might ask David - the texture king - for advice, but I want to get to grips with this myself this time. So maybe not in time for the contest...

@all crystal render makers: what a lot of great efforts.

@bullit: I like the horse's manes. I can't really work with 'look at my hair' very succesfully yet. It also tends to crash a lot if you want too much hair (I think that is the reason for me)

@Jamahoney: Sorry for insulting all rats! Hope there are none in this forum...

@mermaid: Now I am trying to get this layered effect in real life painting with acrylics. A bit like the works of Gerhard Richter. Not so easy as in Bryce!

@horo, 13 december renders: I think the first one is better at the front and the second one much better at the back. I don't really like the combination. Keep fiddling!

@david: Hypertextures look great. Maybe I can get my money over to DAZ for you!

@horo, 14 december render: that is really wonderful!!!

@franontheedge: Don't really understand what you changed now, but the lightbeam looks much less sharp now! The kitchen seen is nice too, though the windows look a little low to me.

@david; 15 december: Lovely abstracts! I really need to start playing with those hypertextures!!

@thesavage: great work on that Budda!

@horo 15 december1. Great looking renders. and 15 december 2: Fantastic abstracts. Love the details in the third one!

@stuartb4: Hexagon could easily do it, I guess. I find hexagon relatively easy to use, but I never really tried Wings yet.

@dangerlad: indeed, ceiling too bright. There are, of course, many ways to fix that.

@david, 17december: I really like the bricks: well done!

@thesavage 17december: I also thought: Very, very big fence! I could send you some shrub items (grass/shrub made in 'marvelous designer') that could be used.

Pffff, made it to the end!

edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    @thesavage 17december: I also thought: Very, very big fence! I could send you some shrub items (grass/shrub made in 'marvelous designer') that could be used.

That's very kind of you, but I'm redoing the render as a snow scene... hopefully with all the vegetation covered in snow the scale won't be an issue. :-)
This discussion has been closed.