More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• A new panel...

The #5 version was all washed out like the first panel, so I went back to the #1 version instead.  C'est la vie!

Really.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 5M
  • A new panel...

The #5 version was all washed out like the first panel, so I went back to the #1 version instead.  C'est la vie!

Huzzah for the win! I really like this one.

• Number 5 is the one that made the cut. Number 1 will always be used for one off pics. I just want to use something where the colors pop out more. 
    On the strip pic, I used a fluorescent light source because it's an office setting. It apparently was too bright and washed out the skin tones. I've used it before, but not with that particular set, which was built for Iray, but I'm using 3Delight lights and render. 
    I always welcome comments and suggestions. I may not agree, but it's good to get different opinions. 

Hey, the fact that your top choice made it to number two on my list is a clear indication that you're on to something. Keep it up.

• Artini said:

Playing with filters in Topaz Studio 2...

Very nice. I love playing with the filters in Topaz Studio (do you have the newest release?).

Background is a little too similar to the foreground for my taste, but I really do dig those subtle reflections and the way the hair looks.

Well done!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,821
    Artini said:

Very nice. I love playing with the filters in Topaz Studio (do you have the newest release?).

Background is a little too similar to the foreground for my taste, but I really do dig those subtle reflections and the way the hair looks.

Well done!

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I were lucky, that the Topaz Studio 2 was free for me, due to my previous orders from them,

so, I can enjoy both the 2nd version and the original one, as well.

• Finally start tinkering with Iray Render and check the possibility to run some filters above it . Of course still need exploration to make it better

Mashup_small.jpg
    2000 x 964 - 1M
  • Artini said:
    Artini said:

Well done!

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I were lucky, that the Topaz Studio 2 was free for me, due to my previous orders from them,

so, I can enjoy both the 2nd version and the original one, as well.

I was also lucky in that regard. I had made several big purcahses before, so they gave me the upgrade for free. I'm looking forward to using it shortly – I'm weeks overdue for producing a new cover for a sci-fi RPG book.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited October 2019

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2019

I've been messing around with the DSON Importer, trying to get Genesis and Genesis 2 figures to work properly. The short report is: I can get them into Poser without problem, but the Subdivision settings on the figures make them behave in very buggy ways. I think I'm going to abandon these efforts for now and focus on figures that are native to Poser.

In the meantime, here's a quickie illustration I did with the Genesis female figure. I kinda like the way the shadows fell on her face and body, so I completed it. Gotta admit, I "phoned it in" with the background. I actually tried a frame and then a fill and then my sketchy lines, and finally I just gave in and used this familair backdrop. I think it works, but I'm getting a little tired of it, if truth be told.

Scared Small (10-24-2019).jpg
    1750 x 1313 - 684K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • philebusphilebus Posts: 241
    edited October 2019

I've been messing around with the DSON Importer, trying to get Genesis and Genesis 2 figures to work properly. The short report is: I can get them into Poser without problem, but the Subdivision settings on the figures make them behave in very buggy ways. I think I'm going to abandon these efforts for now and focus on figures that are native to Poser.

In the meantime, here's a quickie illustration I did with the Genesis female figure. I kinda like the way the shadows fell on her face and body, so I completed it. Gotta admit, I "phoned it in" with the background. I actually tried a frame and then a fill and then my sketchy lines, and finally I just gave in and used this familair backdrop. I think it works, but I'm getting a little tired of it, if truth be told.

Hi,

This actually looks really good. I've not had much time to do anything for a while now but have had some luck using both Genesis and Genesis 2 in Poser - though I've been converting them to Poser Native figures and using Poser's own subdivision. This does mean that you can't use DAZ HD morphs with them but there aren't many products for Genesis 1 or 2 that use them, so it's no great loss and there are so many sales of late for these generations that I've been able to pick up a huge range of items for them.

It's also worth keeping in mind that other figures can be converted for Poser. As an example, I've just found time to have another go at the Giant Fantasy Snake, which I think is the best looking snake on the market but which is sold for Studio only - however, it converts for Poser Native use just fine.

P_Con_GiantFantasySnake2a_ForumUpdate.jpg
    900 x 516 - 67K
    Post edited by philebus on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Can't you export Daz figures in Poser format?  Seems to me it would be better to pose in Daz, export, than import into DAZ.  I've never tried this so I could be completely wrong. 

tkdrobert said:

Can't you export Daz figures in Poser format?  Seems to me it would be better to pose in Daz, export, than import into DAZ.  I've never tried this so I could be completely wrong. 

It is possible to export a cr2 from Studio but it's not the best method to use - you need to get an obj out seperately as well. I never got on very well with Studio, so I don't even try posing there. The method I use is to bring figures into Poser using the companion files and DSON, then save a cr2 in Poser and process that with a utility by Netherworks (part of his Creator's Toybox which is sold in a couple of other stores) - this generates an obj and severs any remaining connections with Studio, so that you no longer need it running to use the content. It works well with all of the Genesis material I've tried save the geo-grafts, and almost all of the Genesis 2 material. Genesis 3 can't be made Poser native by this method I'm afraid.

This works for other things as well, such as Stonemason's Streets of London. In Studio, I generated a companion file for the full scene which I was then able to open in Poser via DSON. After modifying the materials, I then saved it as a Poser scene file and ran that thought the Creator's Toybox which, after generating quite a few objects (the set was worth the bit of time it took) gave me a Poser native version of the product.

• philebus said:
    tkdrobert said:

It is possible to export a cr2 from Studio but it's not the best method to use - you need to get an obj out seperately as well. I never got on very well with Studio, so I don't even try posing there. The method I use is to bring figures into Poser using the companion files and DSON, then save a cr2 in Poser and process that with a utility by Netherworks (part of his Creator's Toybox which is sold in a couple of other stores) - this generates an obj and severs any remaining connections with Studio, so that you no longer need it running to use the content. It works well with all of the Genesis material I've tried save the geo-grafts, and almost all of the Genesis 2 material. Genesis 3 can't be made Poser native by this method I'm afraid.

This works for other things as well, such as Stonemason's Streets of London. In Studio, I generated a companion file for the full scene which I was then able to open in Poser via DSON. After modifying the materials, I then saved it as a Poser scene file and ran that thought the Creator's Toybox which, after generating quite a few objects (the set was worth the bit of time it took) gave me a Poser native version of the product.

Thanks for the comments on my quickie illustration. I'm okay with it, it's just I think it could be better (of course, my obsession with perfection – or at least achieving what I see in my mind – is a problem I've had my entire life, but at least I've gotten better about it). 

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I've got the Creator's Toolbox (think I either bought it or won it from RNDA a long time ago). Does it have documentation on how to do the coversion? I'm asking because I really would like to use some of the creature characters (Bear Clan, Cat Clan, Ravens) for a sci-fi series I'm involved with, and it would be easier to do it I were in Poser than Daz.

philebus said:
    tkdrobert said:
    Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I've got the Creator's Toolbox (think I either bought it or won it from RNDA a long time ago). Does it have documentation on how to do the coversion? I'm asking because I really would like to use some of the creature characters (Bear Clan, Cat Clan, Ravens) for a sci-fi series I'm involved with, and it would be easier to do it I were in Poser than Daz.

There is some good documentation for it that helped me through the process - I would note that some creature characters use geografts (particularly for things like tails) and those don't convert to being Poser native (though you should be able to use them with the DSON plug-in, I find that Genesis 1 & 2 are very clunky to use that way). You might be able to parent tails though. Also, some use HD morphs and, as mentioned above, those won't work with Poser's subdivision.

A couple of handy tips before you start conversions though...

It is a good idea before starting to create Geometry folders in the Runtime ready for your conversions.

Make sure you are not saving to compressed format or with external morph targets.

If you have any of the Fit Control products (I have to say, I really like these), uninstall them before you start (you don't want these in your Poser native versions). Just remember to re-install once you're done.

With regards to Genesis 2 - I would depart from Netherwork's suggested method and open the Genesis 2 characters in Poser from their companion files and saving the cr2 in poser to run through the Toybox - this way you get to keep the mouth parts that othwise tend to vanish with Studio exported CR2s or even with the DSON plug-in (this is not an issue with Genesis 1 or 3). You will need to do this for each individual character that has its own UV so that you generate geometry for it.

You will now have possibly dozens of HUGE cr2s packed with morphs, one for each character with its own geometry and UV mapping. You can tidy this up with a little work - first, load up a native base figure, enable external morph targets and save it out again as your master for that base. It will have a tiny cr2 and a huge pmd file. Delete all of the bloated cr2s for the individual characters. Make copies of your master cr2 named for each of the characters and edit the geometry references in them to the correct character's geometry. You will now have dozens of tiny cr2s, each referencing their own geometry/UV but the same master pmd.

When converting clothes, you can just work with the companion files for them but if you have the Fit Control products, then you will want to add these morphs in Studio and save them out again with those, creating new companion files to work with.

There are some clothing products that give you white seams when the textures are applied - these are an easy fix. Open the texure map in a photo editor and you'll probably see a white boarder around the mapped item. I just use the dropper to sample the colour and then a paint bucket to fill the boarder.

DAZ has a long history of not supporting things like displacement and normal maps in Poser materials - this hasn't changed for their Genesis Poser Companion Files. When you apply the mts, check the texture folder to see if there is anything like this that they've missed out. A lot of the nice detail on some of the promo images for Genesis 2 characters is found in the normal maps for them.

• Remember Mr. Apothecary?...as played by Bernie Kopell?

Kiss.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 5M
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Combo of two FF filters; Japanese cell like shading and then good ol' Comic Stylize +weirdness (for lines).

Alex in Town.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
  • tkdrobert said:

I've done several times importing G3 and G8 inti Poser using Fbx. ANnd yesh thats not really useful if you still want to posing then. But For just NPR purpose I think thats enough For me
  • philebus said:
    philebus said:
    tkdrobert said:

There is some good documentation for it that helped me through the process - I would note that some creature characters use geografts (particularly for things like tails) and those don't convert to being Poser native (though you should be able to use them with the DSON plug-in, I find that Genesis 1 & 2 are very clunky to use that way). You might be able to parent tails though. Also, some use HD morphs and, as mentioned above, those won't work with Poser's subdivision.

A couple of handy tips before you start conversions though...

It is a good idea before starting to create Geometry folders in the Runtime ready for your conversions.

Make sure you are not saving to compressed format or with external morph targets.

If you have any of the Fit Control products (I have to say, I really like these), uninstall them before you start (you don't want these in your Poser native versions). Just remember to re-install once you're done.

With regards to Genesis 2 - I would depart from Netherwork's suggested method and open the Genesis 2 characters in Poser from their companion files and saving the cr2 in poser to run through the Toybox - this way you get to keep the mouth parts that othwise tend to vanish with Studio exported CR2s or even with the DSON plug-in (this is not an issue with Genesis 1 or 3). You will need to do this for each individual character that has its own UV so that you generate geometry for it.

You will now have possibly dozens of HUGE cr2s packed with morphs, one for each character with its own geometry and UV mapping. You can tidy this up with a little work - first, load up a native base figure, enable external morph targets and save it out again as your master for that base. It will have a tiny cr2 and a huge pmd file. Delete all of the bloated cr2s for the individual characters. Make copies of your master cr2 named for each of the characters and edit the geometry references in them to the correct character's geometry. You will now have dozens of tiny cr2s, each referencing their own geometry/UV but the same master pmd.

When converting clothes, you can just work with the companion files for them but if you have the Fit Control products, then you will want to add these morphs in Studio and save them out again with those, creating new companion files to work with.

There are some clothing products that give you white seams when the textures are applied - these are an easy fix. Open the texure map in a photo editor and you'll probably see a white boarder around the mapped item. I just use the dropper to sample the colour and then a paint bucket to fill the boarder.

DAZ has a long history of not supporting things like displacement and normal maps in Poser materials - this hasn't changed for their Genesis Poser Companion Files. When you apply the mts, check the texture folder to see if there is anything like this that they've missed out. A lot of the nice detail on some of the promo images for Genesis 2 characters is found in the normal maps for them.

Thanks for the detailed tips. I've saved these to a separate doc so I can find them when I actually take a stab at this.

To be honest, though, I'm still questioning how useful those figures would actually be in light of the extra work to create them, and then only to have them behave strangely when they get into Poser. Nevertheless, I will probably take a stab at it soon. I'm intrigued, and that is usually the first step in me trying something new.

Thanks again.

• tkdrobert said:

I've done several times importing G3 and G8 inti Poser using Fbx. ANnd yesh thats not really useful if you still want to posing then. But For just NPR purpose I think thats enough For me

Truthfully, if I cannot pose and modify the figure in Poser then the figure has zero value for me. 

• Remember Mr. Apothecary?...as played by Bernie Kopell?

Hah! When I read that comic, I could actually hear Berni's voice! Well done.

• Thanks, Mike!

• Just another dinner party at the Stephens'.

CottonTop.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 4M
  • Oops...

Geshundheit.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 5M
  • I thought it was Dobbin...

lThoughtItWasDobbin.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 4M
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited October 2019

Teena wearing goth outfit.

Pastel_Goth_Gown.png
    1000 x 1500 - 4M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

hooligan girl

Riot_girl01.png
    1000 x 1500 - 4M
  • I thought it was Dobbin...

Pretty sure it was Dum Dum...

HAH! They totally should have done this in the original show!

• They sort of did. They had an episode where Endora corrected Maurice with the wrong name. 

• Vyusur said:

Teena wearing goth outfit.

Nice character design. Not sure if the sketch effects are coming through when the image is reduced, though. And the outlines are a bit inconsistent – are you using Cartoon Outline or a filter for those?

I like your choices in lighting and setting, btw.

• They sort of did. They had an episode where Endora corrected Maurice with the wrong name. 

Yeah, but I meant the whole group like that in a later season. That would have been a hoot.

This discussion has been closed.