More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    scorpio said:

Guess this fits here

Nice

• Artini said:

Ping the Ringtail iray render processed in PaintShop Pro 2020 with Retro Pop preset from Pic To Painting plugin.

https://www.daz3d.com/ping-the-ringtail--plushies-20

Lovely FX.. would you show to us several results from Paintshop Pro 2020 and Paint FX Filter ? I`ve already had Toon`s workflow but always open to learn something new ways to improve post processing stage

• scorpio said:

Guess this fits here

I guess you're right!

I like the clean composition and I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the vertical lines at the bottom and the top combine to move my eyes toward the center zone. It's not a shock, mind you, but I'm impressed nonetheless. Very nice use of colors, too.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,888
    Artini said:

Ping the Ringtail iray render processed in PaintShop Pro 2020 with Retro Pop preset from Pic To Painting plugin.

This is adorable. Honestly, I think you could sell a kid's book with this style. It's very cute and very memorable. Great color choices, btw; they really enhance the composition by making the figure pop but still giving us plenty of detail in landscape. 

Thanks a lot for the comments and ideas.

Artini said:

Lovely FX.. would you show to us several results from Paintshop Pro 2020 and Paint FX Filter ? I`ve already had Toon`s workflow but always open to learn something new ways to improve post processing stage

Thanks a lot. Will try to post more.

• Archie Andrews and the Riverdale Gang.  This virtually took all night to render.  It was still going when I had to get up at 2am...

RiverdaleGang.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 427K
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited November 2019

Archie Andrews and the Riverdale Gang.  This virtually took all night to render.  It was still going when I had to get up at 2am...

I love my Riverdale and Archie comics (I subscribe to every comics digest and get most of their titles each month). In fact, here is a photo of my front yard Halloween decorations (yes, that is a life-size zombie Jughead fighting a life-size Archie with a machete). Next year, that zombie in the foreground is going to wear a football jersey and a blond wig so I can make him look like Big Moose.

Regarding your render (wow, that was a long time), I would suggest the following:

• Make Veronica's hair a little longer.
    • Archie's hair a little neater.
    • Move Betty's ponytail so it swings away from her body so we can see it more clearly.
    • Lower Jughead's eyelids a little to give him sleepy look.

Nevertheless, everything is looking good!

20191024_020629.jpg
    1960 x 3162 - 863K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited November 2019

Another use of Retro Pop preset in Corel PSP 2020 applied to Daz Studio render

Drones103pic01RetroPop.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 484K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Reviving a theme that I did a number of years ago with my more mature characters.

PicturePerfect-ArchieAndrews.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 240K
    PicturePerfect-VeronicaLodge.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 261K
    PicturePerfect-BettyCooper.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 322K
    PicturePerfect-JugheadJones.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 314K
  • RobbyBobbyRobbyBobby Posts: 325
    edited November 2019

More of the Riverdale Gang:

Reggie Mantle

Jason and Cheryl (Cherry) Blossom

Sabrina Spellman and Salem Saberhagen

PicturePerfect-ReggieMantle.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 281K
    PicturePerfect-BlossomTwins.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 289K
    PicturePerfect-SabrinaSpellman.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 320K
    Post edited by RobbyBobby on
  • RobbyBobbyRobbyBobby Posts: 325
    edited November 2019

Principal Waldo Weatherbee

Teacher Geraldine Grundy

PicturePerfect-WaldoWeatherbee.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 267K
    PicturePerfect-GeraldineGrundy.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 296K
    Post edited by RobbyBobby on
    edited November 2019

Principal Waldo Weatherbee

Knew it was them the instant I saw the pics! nice to see the Faculty of good ole RHS getting some love! Rember, if you do any football or sports images, their school cholors are blue and gold. Oddly enough, their mascot has not been clearly defined and seems to change in different comics. The latest version I saw had Dilton dressing up as a bear.

• Thanks for the tip on the school colors.  I'm still in character creation mode and having fun with it.  Dilton Doiley is on the list, along with Kevin Keller and Josie and the Pussycats.

In the meantime, here are Midge Klump and Marmaduke (Moose) Mason.

PicturePerfect-MidgeAndMoose.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 280K
  • Big Ethel Muggs

PicturePerfect-EthelMuggs.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 271K
  • Thanks for the tip on the school colors.  I'm still in character creation mode and having fun with it.  Dilton Doiley is on the list, along with Kevin Keller and Josie and the Pussycats.

In the meantime, here are Midge Klump and Marmaduke (Moose) Mason.

I like the Riverdale influence on Midge, but I gotta say that Moose doesn't look big enough. I think this is time when you could make him taller and really dial up the shoulders and chest a bit more. He needs to look more like a jock. ;-)

edited November 2019

I'm working on a cover for the next issue of the Collectors' Club Newsletter and it features our old friend (and unofficial mascot) Captain Epistle. The previous time I illustrated him, I used the Genesis figure in Daz Studio. This time I wanted to do my work in Poser (so I could use the super cool Comic Book Preview, which generates quality line art), so naturally I went back to my old standby Michael 4 as the base figure.

Before working on the cover itself, I whipped up this simple character sketch in a classic Kirby-inspired pose. Very simple, and it did reveal a few things I need to work on:

• The logo needs to be moved up a bit higher on his chest.
    • I'm not sure this is the right cape – it's nice, but it doesn't have some of the movement I would like (particularly at the bottom, which is why that curl to our left looks kind of straighter than it should).
    • I think the jawline needs to be more square.

Nevertheless, not bad and these changes should help me make him look better when I move him into the cover illustration itself. 

This has the usual workflow: Poser Pro 11 and Manga Studio EX5.

CaptE Action Blue (11-24-2019).jpg
    2402 x 2700 - 2M
  • Josie and the Pussycats

Josie McCoy

Melody Valentine

Valerie Brown

PicturePerfect-JosieAndThePussycats.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 320K
    edited November 2019

Josie and the Pussycats

Josie McCoy

Melody Valentine

Valerie Brown

FUN FACT OF THE DAY: Did you know that Melodie's last name was not established until the movie came out? She just never had one before then.

Nice work, but I do think the ears would be more effective if they were solid. BTW: This time would be a great time to find some tiger stripes or big leopard spots for the background.

• Those are the only cat ears that I had on my laptop.  When I find better ones, I'll swap 'em out. Melody's hair is the one that the ears came with.

Oooops...before I posted this, I found different cat ears in the Cookie Critters Bundle.  I resized them for the girls.

Yes...the shoes came out shinier than I expected.  I left them that way for now, cuz it took over an hour for the render and I had to go make dinner.  Haha

NewCatEars.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 489K
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

My friend Kate had a birthday recently, so I made her this.

Its of one of her old OCs "Rio Mortiis", a young woman who took her life before it was her time. As penance she's charged with serving the remaining years of what was to be her natural life as a wraith, who leads souls of the recent dead to the afterlife.

This one was fun to make. I rendered Rio as a normal render, then as a PWghost render. I put the solid render as the front layer, which I then erased bits off, giving her a partially intangible look.

Rio.png
    1080 x 1290 - 1M
  • Back to the picture frame portraits.  This one is Kevin Keller...

PicturePerfect-KevinKeller.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 269K
  • Dilton Doiley, boy genius...

PicturePerfecr-DiltonDoiley.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 282K
  • I'm working on a cover for the next issue of the Collectors' Club Newsletter and it features our old friend (and unofficial mascot) Captain Epistle. The previous time I illustrated him, I used the Genesis figure in Daz Studio. This time I wanted to do my work in Poser (so I could use the super cool Comic Book Preview, which generates quality line art), so naturally I went back to my old standby Michael 4 as the base figure.

Before working on the cover itself, I whipped up this simple character sketch in a classic Kirby-inspired pose. Very simple, and it did reveal a few things I need to work on:

• I'm not sure this is the right cape – it's nice, but it doesn't have some of the movement I would like (particularly at the bottom, which is why that curl to our left looks kind of straighter than it should).

Nevertheless, not bad and these changes should help me make him look better when I move him into the cover illustration itself. 

Amazing Style and BTW just found this amazing Youtube Channel about Coloring Comic and Illustration . Maybe you can push further your work by "steal" some of his cool technique .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyjTtXnpBEI45ssSmt_VKrA

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited November 2019

juve_satriani :

I don't believe Mike needs to push his '3D' style further with a completely different set of techniques in Photoshop for a completely different image style outcome.

Also, he definitely wouldn't be "stealing" this technique from this young man utilizing a technique I was using when he was a young child, or perhaps before he was even born, which I learned in the early 90's by a WildStorm digital colorist when I was still hand penciling and inking.

Don't get me wrong - that guy is a phenomenal digital colorist - I'd hire him to color my work (if I had money, and no desire to be a one-man team).  His mind's eye to see colors/shadows/lighting and use selection tools to build his work is impressive  --  My techniqe now only uses selection tools for cleanup on roughed in painting - much faster for me to do fast roughs, and then precision selection cuts if needed.  Creating those selections are very slow and tedious for me.  I know his video is a sped up time-lapse, but it still looks like he is fast with a deft hand at creating his selections.

Mike :

The only critique I would have with that image is the cape does look a little thick (like molasses), regardless if you don't believe you are hitting your mark where you want it to convey motion.

Did you use any kind of cloth dynamics on it?  If not, are you opposed to it, or don't have a capable cape for use?

I like using VWDClothAndHair for Poser when I am working in Poser for sculpting the capes movement to my needs, or just add wind and adjust until I get the movement desired.

Examples :

HoodedCloak03.jpg
    575 x 650 - 56K
    HoodedCloak04.jpg
    550 x 750 - 50K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • Another Riverdale resident...Chuck Clayton.

PicturePerfect-ChuckClayton.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 291K
  • Widdershins StudioWiddershins Studio Posts: 539
    edited December 2019

What do you folk think of this? It's for a new project set in the 1920s and I am after a comic book look.

Didn't think it was too bad.

workingman.jpg
    538 x 700 - 148K
    Post edited by Widdershins Studio on
  • The Cabot Twins... Alexander is the manager for the Josie and the Pussycats band.  His sister, Alexandra, is a major pain in the butt.

PicturePerfect-CabotTwins.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 274K
  • Artini said:

Is the Retro Pop preset included with the main program please?

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

I'm working on a cover for the next issue of the Collectors' Club Newsletter and it features our old friend (and unofficial mascot) Captain Epistle. The previous time I illustrated him, I used the Genesis figure in Daz Studio. This time I wanted to do my work in Poser (so I could use the super cool Comic Book Preview, which generates quality line art), so naturally I went back to my old standby Michael 4 as the base figure.

Really pops....Love it...

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    Artini said:

What a great look & style...

This discussion has been closed.