JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

AtticAnne said:
    I don't feel so bad then. I switched to using Gumdrops because they are simpler. Only been using 3D for almost a year; no background in art. My head is spinning madly.
    AtticAnne my dear, I'm not going to suggest that you dont switch to a different figure BUT! This is a month long contest and I think if you just used the Ando-Genesis this would be a great time for you to get some hands on time and learn as you go. We are all here to help. Just ask anything that your having trouble with and we will be glad to help you understand and make progress.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Alright, edited it some more.

It’s a difficult pose, a pose with two figures.
    Maybe it helps if I tell you how I did it with my render also two figures.
    First I start with the main figure the male.
    I rotated him in the right direction and pose the lower body (hip, legs, and feet)
    Then pose the upper body not the arms and the head that will came later
    Now the second figure the female I rotate her in the right position and also begin with the lower body
    (Hip, legs, feet) then pose the upper body when I did that I go further with the male upper body
    to fit with the female then, the arms, neck, head and the hand then fix a few things what wasn’t Quite right.

I hope this is helping.
    Keep going you can do it.:)

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    AtticAnne said:
    I don't feel so bad then. I switched to using Gumdrops because they are simpler. Only been using 3D for almost a year; no background in art. My head is spinning madly.
    AtticAnne my dear, I'm not going to suggest that you dont switch to a different figure BUT! This is a month long contest and I think if you just used the Ando-Genesis this would be a great time for you to get some hands on time and learn as you go. We are all here to help. Just ask anything that your having trouble with and we will be glad to help you understand and make progress.

Jeff, are you trying to say that you don't think I can do it in just a month? :lol: Why don't we have a laughing-until-crying smiley? You know me too well, dear friend.

I like posing the Ando-Genesis. Then adding skin, clothes, hair are easy. Next you'll want me to add a background, cameras, and lights, won't you? I keep forgetting to render before coming to the forums, so I'll go do that and be back.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne, I know who needs a little push just to get them over the hump. Push, nudge... winky wink.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Surgeon removed right hand from thigh. Worked on her left hand. Slow and steady goes the course. Back to working on hip.

at_PiratePinup4_GenV5_nude_nobackdrop.jpg
    854 x 618 - 37K
    AP640-pirate-pin-up-1956.jpg
    401 x 300 - 41K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I could tell you how to do some tweaking in poser, but not sure if the commands are the same in DS.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited July 2012

AtticAnne said:
    Surgeon removed right hand from thigh. Worked on her left hand. Slow and steady goes the course. Back to working on hip.

Hmm; face towards the camera, right shoulder a little forward and both shoulders a little more relaxed, back arched back instead of forward, legs stretched out a bit more, both left hand and feet bent to make contact with the surface, and right hand's wrist wresting on right knee.

I use the surface grid and a good amount of camera rotation to get parts in contact with the surface properly but some people prefer making a surface plane at ground level. With the grid one wants to go into a front/side view to see what drops below the grid, with plane, one can rotate anywhere below the plane and move items down till they get poke through, then inch it back up.

Edit: on second look, the left shoulder isn't relaxed as much as it's forward a bit also, with the wrist turned to create the hand pose and a slight arch in the arm. (The arm arch I'm not sure one could recreate.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited July 2012

Camera movement and zooming in/out are critical in posing. Hopefully everyone is familiar with the [+] to zoom in to/center rotation around selected area. That little button is your friend ;)

Also, if we find ourself going back to a specific area/angle(s) a lot, it helps to create a camera(s) there to be able to quickly jump back and forth between that area and our default camera.

I only mention this because these are things I learned the hard way. Through much trial and error.

edited December 1969

Here's an interesting one I thought I'd try, but upon trying it I found Genesis wouldn't bend that way without distorting. I'm curious if anyone can duplicate this pose without modifying the basic shape of the legs, back etc..

9M1DD00Z.jpg
    352 x 450 - 34K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne get a Plane chucked in there to help with getting the legs right, You can always delete that plane later.

edited July 2012

Okay Gedd has some good points. So I'll put them in easy DS terms, I hope. For posing, to get CLOSE and work on your the part you need try this.
    Make your Main Camera, the one you will Render from. LOCK it or remember you NEVER move it. Now select the part you wish to edit, go to your Perspective Camera and ZOOM in and move around untill your good and can Do your pose work. If you like Create a NEW camera and Name it Hand Work ect.. Use current camera view when you create the new camera. Go back to your Main Camera and check your work. You can do this as many thimes as you need.

Just remember the RENDER camera never moves.

edited July 2012

Gedd said:
    Here's an interesting one I thought I'd try, but upon trying it I found Genesis wouldn't bend that way without distorting. I'm curious if anyone can duplicate this pose without modifying the basic shape of the legs, back etc..
    Nope, I would need some Shaping mod's to do that pose... Anyone else?
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:

And that is one problem with using a drawing as a reference. The original artist likely had taken "artistic licence" and modified the proportions of the figure until it "looks" proper but actually isn't.
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Gedd said:

And that is one problem with using a drawing as a reference. The original artist likely had taken "artistic licence" and modified the proportions of the figure until it "looks" proper but actually isn't.

Yes, that's the conclusion I had reached also but thought It made for a good discussion point. Plus it's always good to throw something out there like that since someone might have some tricks we aren't familiar with :)

edited July 2012

Ok, figured if I was going to comment I should post something since I have the time at the moment.

Btw, this wasn't as easy as it looks. I had to resculpt the entire character, especially the face, change body proportions, turning off limits in a few cases etc..

This doesn't apply to the contest but thought I'd mention for anyone interested. The skin was a highly customized version of Zoey with color change, specular, gloss etc.. adjustments to give the 'airbrushed' look. The post work was confined mostly to contrast and saturation boost.

July_NC_01.jpg
    492 x 800 - 37K
    014-pin-up-girls.jpg
    531 x 720 - 42K
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest effort..

Muscle work looks great, it really helps sell the pose I think. Now tilt his head down so he's looking at the creature coming up from behind and get that smile off his face ;p

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I should have another draft ready sometime later today.

The entries that have been posted to the contest thread so far are very impressive! Looking forward to seeing these other WIP's completed...

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    This is what I see that needs to be tweeked.

Finer means finer detail like the grip of the hand but these should be done at the end of the posing.

Ayden, don't get discouraged. You picked a very challenging pose but anyone would learn a lot doing this pose. I plan on trying it when I have the time. Not to enter into contest ofc, but because it is such a good pose for practice and learning :)

edited July 2012

AtticAnne said:

Btw Anne, If you find getting the back arch correct is challenging, I have a method I've found works for me. I start at the Hip & Pelvis, get that angle correct (quite a bit of bend here it looks like.) Then I pivot the whole genesis character to get it back into basic alignment. I might go back and forth a couple times here to get it right, ignoring the legs, abdomen and chest. After that looks right, I work my way up the abdomen and chest to get the form, and out the legs, sometimes going back and tweeking the pelvis.

Also, to make this easier I have the 'scene' tab on the right side of my window setup and the 'parameters' (and surfaces) tab on the left to make it easier to select then adjust quickly. I will select an item in the view window then if necessary fine tune the selection in the scene tab. Then on the left I can adjust parameters and surfaces.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited July 2012

Gedd said:

I managed to get Genesis like this without distortion.

9M1DD00Z.jpg
    352 x 450 - 34K
    Pose_2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 37K
    Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited July 2012

I tried you’re pose , Not for the contest.
    I cheated with genesis v4 I used a little bit gen basic child.;-)
    I did not used out of limit.

AydenShade keep going you can do it.:)

testing_1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 80K
    testing.jpg
    618 x 800 - 69K
    Post edited by Sasje on
    edited July 2012

wilmap said:
    Gedd said:

I managed to get Genesis like this without distortion.

v'n, did you use base genesis or a custom char? Oh... another thing, does it look good from all camera angles or that one? I found I could do some poses with a given camera angle but it would be distorted in others. This isn't a problem ofc for a single piece, just that I go into automatic mode sometimes trying to make it fit all camera angles and that might be overkill at times ;)

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I used Genesis with V4 shape and it looks OK from all angles. I did have limits off as well.

edited July 2012

Nice :)

Looking at your image it does point out another complication, doing the hair without dynamic hair. Hair would almost definitely need post work. It's pretty creative that you could come up with some that move in that direction... guessing a 'wind' morph on the hair?

Oh! Mec4D... if you see this post, what are the chances of getting morphs for your hair for different body angles?

edited December 1969

Gedd said:

Genesis v4, limits are all on.
    pinup_test_1.jpg
    309 x 400 - 28K
    pinup_test_2.jpg
    309 x 400 - 32K
    pinup_test.jpg
    309 x 400 - 32K
  • Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103
    edited July 2012

Hi gang-

There seems to be some great thing going on here. Just wanted to post my preliminary poses and get some feedback. I have never actually completed a project using Daz, so this will be interesting.

The general idea here it to bock in the main poses then go back and refine them. Does anyone know if I can save the facial expression as just a pose for the face?

start_pose_3.jpg
    479 x 722 - 36K
    start_pose_2.jpg
    479 x 722 - 29K
    start_pose_1.jpg
    479 x 722 - 32K
    start_pose.jpg
    479 x 722 - 51K
    All_Star_batman.jpg
    479 x 722 - 366K
    Post edited by Marmalade Boy on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

I really hate to do this to a new user, but

Please replace your images with untextured figures, as others have done, the basic grey genesis.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Wow sasje that is some might fine posing there...got the weight perfect.

And people don't forget when posing think about gravity. Posing the figure's body and limbs are only part of the process to get better results. Breast movement, clothing hanging and hair dangling. Clothing and hair can be difficult to get right due to the limitations of the movement morphs some clothes and hair have. The image below is an example of using to hair products to make one hair, took a lot to figure out but it is possible to fake it by hiding some of the hair's surfaces but now we have the Polygon Editor in DS4 which enables us to hide polygons but we can come to that later. If you are interested this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3967/#50076 has some good advice on use the PGE (polygon Editor)

Another way is to use postwork but again it requires some skill which Idon't have. :) You might though.

Can you find what is wrong with this image below. I look at it now and see it plain as day but when I made it last year I didn't see it at all.

TRUST4.jpg
    657 x 1039 - 384K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited July 2012

To me the issue with the above image is that the man's feet are not firmly and flat on the ground. Even if you assume the woman is a 98 pound weakling, that's still 98 pounds of added weight. I suppose the other issue could be that the man's bangs don't look quite right.

Did I win? ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

If you mean bangs as in the hair, yes. His right leg is taking all the wait and his right foot is firmly flat and Colliding with the floor. I have seen men lift women like this with one foot like his left. But it is the balance I am mainly referring to. The right leg and foot should be 100% under the wrist which is the point of the weight. Not by much but it is enough to throw the balance off.

LOL Humm maybe a bonus prize. :)