Render Questions

Good afternoon,
My name is Roberto and I'm inexperienced, to say the least. I would like to ask you a few questions about rendering in Daz Studio. I don't have a particularly powerful PC, an I5 with 32gb Ram and an Nvidia 1050. I noticed that to make even the most trivial render my computer takes forever. I thought of creating one or more PCs to use as render nodes. (I saw some interesting proposals with Opteron) but (apart from the economic issue) I would like to understand if and how much the thing would change. (in the past I had experiences with the Poser, but the renderings seemed to me much faster. Ok maybe the quality wasn't the same, but at least I could do some renderings.) Can you help me?

Thank you

Comments

• How much RAM does the 1050 have? It may just be running out, in whichc ase a better GPU with more memory might help. It's also possible that you simply need to update the driver (DS 4.12.0.86 needs an nVidia driver 430.86 or later - right-click on the desktop and select nVidia Control Panel to see the driver version). If you are using a system with an Intel GPU on the CPU it may also be that DS is set to use that, which won't help with rendering - again, the nVidia Control panel shoudl help with this and then check the Advanced tab of the Render Settings pane in DS to make sure that the nVidia GPU is checked).

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,992
    edited October 2019

How much RAM does the 1050 have? It may just be running out, in whichc ase a better GPU with more memory might help. It's also possible that you simply need to update the driver (DS 4.12.0.86 needs an nVidia driver 430.86 or later - right-click on the desktop and select nVidia Control Panel to see the driver version). If you are using a system with an Intel GPU on the CPU it may also be that DS is set to use that, which won't help with rendering - again, the nVidia Control panel shoudl help with this and then check the Advanced tab of the Render Settings pane in DS to make sure that the nVidia GPU is checked).

Do we leave the CPU checked as well?

one or both to be checked.png
    709 x 682 - 31K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • How much RAM does the 1050 have? It may just be running out, in whichc ase a better GPU with more memory might help. It's also possible that you simply need to update the driver (DS 4.12.0.86 needs an nVidia driver 430.86 or later - right-click on the desktop and select nVidia Control Panel to see the driver version). If you are using a system with an Intel GPU on the CPU it may also be that DS is set to use that, which won't help with rendering - again, the nVidia Control panel shoudl help with this and then check the Advanced tab of the Render Settings pane in DS to make sure that the nVidia GPU is checked).

Do we leave the CPU checked as well?

I've seen credible advice that having both checked can actually slow things down, presumably because the CPU needs to manage the different devices. I suspect it might be system dependent, but if speed is of the essence I'd do some tests with CPU on and off in successive renders of a test scene or two and see how they compare.

• Thank you. I'll try unchecking the CPU then because yes, on the longer renders things do seem to slow down and the fans go nuts.

• My Nvidia 1050 has 4Gb Ram DDR5, I will try to leave checked one of them and try to find the best solution.
    Thank you, I will post the result ;)