More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,773

Thanks a lot for the comments, mmitchell_houston.

Corel Painter has a lot of different features, that I try to explore,

and since I have no skills to paint myself it gives me something extra to play with.

• My first use of the Stephens' living room that I built awhile back (with this version of the Bewitched characters).

Discussion.jpg
    1000 x 722 - 627K

My first use of the Stephens' living room that I built awhile back (with this version of the Bewitched characters).

They look much better in the room, in my opinion.

• philebusphilebus Posts: 241

I had posted about htis before but have just realised that it was deleted - I'm afraid that I forgot about the site rules regarding external links. Anywho, as I think there's still a little time, here's a link to the thread in the commons - I found what I needed in that and picked up Corel Painter 2019 for for $25. Worth a butchers at the price.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/355836/anyone-use-corel-painter-on-their-renders/p1

• Long time no post here! I was busy with "real work" this whole year, but I've never stopped experimenting. The following pictures 

follow all the same style and the same editing. I use Daz to pose everything in place and later do the postwork in Photoshop by 

using a variety of actions and scripts I created for this task. I hope you like that style - contact options at the end of the post as I am not always 

very active on the forums here.

And some abstract work:

There is much more on my social media (#absent.g on instagram, or do a google search on absentg). 

Cheers,

George

• Long time no post here! I was busy with "real work" this whole year, but I've never stopped experimenting. The following pictures 

follow all the same style and the same editing. I use Daz to pose everything in place and later do the postwork in Photoshop by 

using a variety of actions and scripts I created for this task. I hope you like that style - contact options at the end of the post as I am not always 

very active on the forums here.

There is much more on my social media (#absent.g on instagram, or do a google search on absentg). 

Cheers, George 

WOWZA! This work is remarkable. Your linework is impecable. Love the way it defines the hair (and trust me, I know how hard it is to get good hair out of 3D). And I also really like that the background outlines are so much lighter. Shading has a nice sophistication to it. I like the density of the ground – there is just the right amount of variation in the texture to give it body, but it's also dark enough to provide good contrast. Also, your body language is really good. That little tilt to her hips is adorable and it really looks like she's shifting her weight from leg to leg. And, of course, the doggie is just too cute! 

Thanks for dropping by again, and glad that you've got plenty of work, but I do hope you'll wander by again, sooner rather than later.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2019

Hey there, I got some cool news today. My "rejected" cover (if you read my original post, you'll see that I was going to redo it, but ran out of time so I had to go with it, after all) was just selected as a Poser Staff Pick of the Week over at R'osity.

Just goes to show, you should never toss anything aside!

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • Uncle Arthur and Cousin Henry

They're both very nice (I had totally forgotten about Cousin Henry until you mentioned him). But, if I'm being honest, I would not have guessed that was Uncle Arthur just from looking at him. I'm not really sure why. Maybe he's too thin? Or it could just be that I'm really familiar with Paul Lynde's face that I'm just not seeing it here. Anyway, I don't want to be a downer (I've enjoyed this series of characters that you've been sharing with us), but I just thought I should be honest and admit I wasn't getting this one.

Nevertheless, keep up the good work.

• I use Face Gen to get the base likeness, but the Toon Generations adds its own distinct look that does distort. I never really went for a perfect likeness in any of the versions of these characters.  Thanks for your comments. They are appreciated.

• The Stephens' kitchen.  At this point, it's like playing dress up with the characters.

KitchenConversation.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 690K
  • duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585

Hey there, I got some cool news today. My "rejected" cover (if you read my original post, you'll see that I was going to redo it, but ran out of time so I had to go with it, after all) was just selected as a Poser Staff Pick of the Week over at R'osity.

Wow that looks amazing!!!  I especially love the candle "light" around the flames!  How very Tim Burton of you!  I also really like all of the crisp detail on the skull.  It came out very nice.

• duckbomb said:

Wow that looks amazing!!!  I especially love the candle "light" around the flames!  How very Tim Burton of you!  I also really like all of the crisp detail on the skull.  It came out very nice.

Thanks! THe original design had the skull much smaller, but I really thought it looked better when it was front and center so it could show off the cool texture and make the horns and fangs more noticable.

• Looking at some different presentations.  Please let me know what you think.  I know what i'm leaning towards, but...

1) I'm using Samantha as a Test subject.  This one is the combination of filters that I have been using...one from Photo Donut and then Sharpen More from Photoshop

2) The same filter from Photo Donut, but no Sharpen

3) A different filter from Photo Donut, with the Photoshop Sharpen More

4) That Photo Donut filter , witlhout Sharpen More

5) That Photo Donut Filter, with Sharpen More and with Vibrance toned down to -30

6) Photo Donut filter, No Sharpen, with Vibrance toned down

Any thoughts?

SamanthaTest1.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 590K
    SamanthaTest2.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 362K
    SamanthaTest3jpg.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 313K
    SamanthaTest4.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 171K
    SamanthaTest5.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 307K
    SamanthaTest6.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 171K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

First is PWToon + LR9K, second is PWToon.

Otter on the River.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 471K
    Cmdr Naia.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 139K
  • "Confound it, Endora.  I'm a doctor not a [Fill in the Blank]!"

Confound it.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 507K
    edited October 2019

The custom character created with Face Transfer and processed with Pic to Painting in PaintShop Pro.

IsidoraHair03pic01SoftPastelsPS01.jpg
    1024 x 1200 - 280K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited October 2019

Mecha Squad

Mecha Squad by tkdrobert

I made a light fix which on the attached image.

Calvery Mecha.png
    2000 x 2667 - 4M
    Post edited by tkdrobert on

Very nice tkdrobert, but will be even better with some shadows on the ground,

unless you want them to hover in space.

Artini said:

Very nice tkdrobert, but will be even better with some shadows on the ground,

unless you want them to hover in space.

I was going to a composite comicbook cover look.

Oh, I see.

edited October 2019

My further experiments with Corel PaintShop Pro and different effects overlayed over each other.

pic401ps02d2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 841K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

My further experiments with Corel PaintShop Pro and different effects overlayed over each other.

Nice sun effect.

Thanks a lot.

• Trying out a single panel strip format...

SomethingDifferent.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 3M
  • Trying out a single panel strip format...

Cute, but a few issues / comments (and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm dumping on this, because you know I like your work):

• Crop in a little closer so we don't see the ceiling. It doesn't bring anything to the composition and that corner is awkward looking.
    • Their faces are kind of washed out. Moving in closer would help us see details.
    • The composition is cluttered and distracting from the figures. The pictures on the wall are a distraction, as are the chairs. And consider moving the drafting table a bit more to our right.
    • I don't think that realistic reflection works well with your stylized toon look. I could be wrong, but if you blurred/softened it, I think it would look better.

Again, this is cool and the lettering is well don. And it's funny. But it's just a bit cluttered and flat looking.

Nevertheless, not bad for a start! You've got a good idea going here and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2019

Someone over at the R'osity forums was talking about issues with the Genesis 2 figures and the DSON Importer for Poser Pro 11.2. So, to test things out, I quickly created a G2M male fig (using the Ryder character), clothed, posed and rendered him all in the space of about an hour. I did have some odd issues with the way Poser applied the pose (it seemed to skip the figure – which stayed in the zeroed-T position) and the conformed clothing flew around to the new pose. However, when I switched to using some Daz Original poses for Michael 6, I didn't have those issues.

So, tonight I'll be running a new test and see what happens with the G2F fig.

In the meantime, here's my quickie render of Ryder (which obviously needs more work on the hair, camera angle and postwork on the britches and boots).

Ryder_G2_Test.jpg
    1165 x 1430 - 309K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • Looking at some different presentations.  Please let me know what you think.  I know what i'm leaning towards, but...

1) I'm using Samantha as a Test subject.  This one is the combination of filters that I have been using...one from Photo Donut and then Sharpen More from Photoshop

2) The same filter from Photo Donut, but no Sharpen

3) A different filter from Photo Donut, with the Photoshop Sharpen More

4) That Photo Donut filter , witlhout Sharpen More

5) That Photo Donut Filter, with Sharpen More and with Vibrance toned down to -30

6) Photo Donut filter, No Sharpen, with Vibrance toned down

Any thoughts?

Number 1. This has the best balance between detail and color.

After that, Numbe 5 (I like the details, but it's too dark).

After that, Number 2 (Hair and face are okay, but the dress looks blury).

• Number 5 is the one that made the cut. Number 1 will always be used for one off pics. I just want to use something where the colors pop out more. 

On the strip pic, I used a fluorescent light source because it's an office setting. It apparently was too bright and washed out the skin tones. I've used it before, but not with that particular set, which was built for Iray, but I'm using 3Delight lights and render. 

I always welcome comments and suggestions. I may not agree, but it's good to get different opinions. 

edited October 2019

Playing with filters in Topaz Studio 2...

Yuzuru825pic03caveDwellerII.jpg
    920 x 1200 - 257K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

PWToon 3DL render, then popped through FotoSketcher.

Zhair L 3F.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 242K
This discussion has been closed.