October 2019 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Atmosphere

Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

New User's Contest - October 2019

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest challenge.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Atmosphere"

Lets step it up a notch from last month's theme "Focus /Depth of Field" and try to create atmosphere.  Make visible that there is something in the air, be it dust, smoke, or a certain mood.

Using depth of field will help but there are several other possibilities like godrays, fog or bloom in the iray render mashine.

I will be checking in on the WIP thread as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need, so feel free to ask questions.

The Golden rules of rendering can be found:
Bryce  http://www.daz3d.com/golden-rules-composition-helpers-for-bryce
DAZ Studio http://www.sharecg.com/v/67783/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Golden-Rules-Camera-Prop-v1.5 

Also, DS has a built in thirds golden rule (just show thirds guide) See images below:
Here are various links to other things that may help you in this month's contest. Credit is given to Szark for this wonderful thread.
Tutorials by Szark http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/

More info that will help with this month's contest can be found:

for DAZ Studio:
http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Creating-Dust-And-Atmosphere-in-Iray-522291773

http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberVolume

http://rawart3d.deviantart.com/art/Raw-FogCam-535959358

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/334586/tutorial-adding-atmosphere-with-a-depth-canvas

https://www.moonscapegraphics.com/post/2016/02/11/adding-an-atmosphere-in-iray

for Carrara:
Atmosphere Test Scenes for Carrara http://www.sharecg.com/v/33708/related/5/3D-Model/Atmosphere-Test-Scenes-for-Carrara

https://carraracafe.com/atmosphere-tutorial/

for Bryce:
Artist’s guide Sky Lab page 759
Bryce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahiyabdeUBI DOF in Bryce by David Brinnen

Bryce 7.1 Pro Easy - Spooky trees in Dan's fog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-lDcqH78Is

Bryce Basics - Free content cloud over Big Sur https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs9490Co-XE

Atmophereic Basics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyLOZWevi8g A Blender tutorial but the first 46 seconds really give you an idea of what atmosphere can be like.

What are some other elements for creating atmosphere:
https://prezi.com/dmvb-nlsj_wr/creating-mood-in-art/
http://www.zevendesign.com/mood-lines-giving-designs-attitude/

Examples of Atmosphere

Some good examples can also be found in this thread: Scenes and landscapes 

An article in DS Creative Magazine (Page 40-41)

Don't forget to look at previous themed contests where information and hints are available.

October 2015's contest

October 2016's contest

October 2017's contest

October 2018’s contest

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Challenge Rules

Closing Date: October 31, 2019

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• RurisRuris Posts: 123

Hi,

Great timing....always had difficulty with atmos lights, that thing is killer on performance, even with a dual 1080. Will try the depth map technique and let you know how it goes.

• Rendered my first version for this month.

oct2019a.png
    1003 x 872 - 2M
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Ooooh this one's gonna be fun!

edited October 2019

The workflow for extracting the depth layer is just so....tiring. Brain actually feels pain learning the process. Not to mention too many unintuitive step in PS ( control v works sometimes, and doesnt in some context like pasting a layer mask).

Anyway, some self review first. The depth layer has not much impact (its very similar to an alpha layer) seeing that my scene, the area of interest is quite narrow. The only (supposed) clear difference is the grass which should be affected only 50%. Anyway, not very noticeable for human eyes.

Need some serious improvement on the brush/light.

base render

With some brush stroke, masked by depth layer.

Depth layer

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited October 2019

A L I E N   looking for the creature

ALIEN_looking_for_the_creature.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 131K
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
  • A L I E N   looking for the creature - my apologies the render is somewhat stretched here the original aspect is set to 1080p

_ AL1vE _ said:

A L I E N   looking for the creature - my apologies the render is somewhat stretched here the original aspect is set to 1080p

Awesome art, friend. Definitely sets a standard here to meet.

• Ruris said:
    _ AL1vE _ said:

A L I E N   looking for the creature - my apologies the render is somewhat stretched here the original aspect is set to 1080p

not so fast Ruris, I do my best to finish it by the end of the month

this is work in progress

• Ruris said:

The workflow for extracting the depth layer is just so....tiring. Brain actually feels pain learning the process. Not to mention too many unintuitive step in PS ( control v works sometimes, and doesnt in some context like pasting a layer mask).

Anyway, some self review first. The depth layer has not much impact (its very similar to an alpha layer) seeing that my scene, the area of interest is quite narrow. The only (supposed) clear difference is the grass which should be affected only 50%. Anyway, not very noticeable for human eyes.

base render

Depth layer

I see where you wanna go with this

looking good so far

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    _ AL1vE _ said:

When you embed an image in a post, in the Image Properties dialog, you will see a place for the width and height to go. To the right of those is a tiny padlock. Clicking on that toggles locked/unlocked for constraining the proportions. If you edit your original post, right-click on the image, and select Image Properties, you can click on that lock icon and you should see the height value change. Make sure the width is 800 pixels or less, though. Click on OK and then on the Save Comment button. (To edit a post, hover your mouse in the upper right corner of your post and a small gear will appear. Click on the gear and a menu will appear with Edit as the only option. Click on Edit.)

Welcome to the challenges. I can't wait to see where you take your WIP. It looks wonderful so far…!

• L'Adair said:
    _ AL1vE _ said:

When you embed an image in a post, in the Image Properties dialog, you will see a place for the width and height to go. To the right of those is a tiny padlock. Clicking on that toggles locked/unlocked for constraining the proportions. If you edit your original post, right-click on the image, and select Image Properties, you can click on that lock icon and you should see the height value change. Make sure the width is 800 pixels or less, though. Click on OK and then on the Save Comment button. (To edit a post, hover your mouse in the upper right corner of your post and a small gear will appear. Click on the gear and a menu will appear with Edit as the only option. Click on Edit.)

Welcome to the challenges. I can't wait to see where you take your WIP. It looks wonderful so far…!

thanks L'Adair

I'm sure that is the correct aspect now

• dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited October 2019

figured i'd do one with atmosphere as well: rendered in daz3d 4.10

concert1c.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • _ AL1vE _ said:
    Ruris said:
    _ AL1vE _ said:

not so fast Ruris, I do my best to finish it by the end of the month

this is work in progress

I agree with Ruris, this is a great start that you have here.

• figured i'd do one with atmosphere as well:

looks like a real photo 

cool

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Rendered my first version for this month.

Great start @Shinji.  What are you planning on adding?

Ruris said:

base render

Depth layer

Nice start.  Are you planning on adding anything else to the image?

_ AL1vE _ said:

A L I E N   looking for the creature

Looks like a movie still.  Really well done.

figured i'd do one with atmosphere as well:

I am impressed with all the figures you have in this image.  It is a very convincing concert crowd.  Great job on the posing of the band.

Is it okay if I don't use DoF in my picture? It's got a lot of thick fog going on, and most things that aren't in the immediate foreground are already pretty obscured. When I added DoF to the mix, I could barely tell what was what.

TigerAnne said:

Is it okay if I don't use DoF in my picture? It's got a lot of thick fog going on, and most things that aren't in the immediate foreground are already pretty obscured. When I added DoF to the mix, I could barely tell what was what.

No, you don't need to use DOF with this month's challenge.

L'Adair said:
    TigerAnne said:

Yeah, I was just thinking that DOF is this professional-looking thing that makes every image better. But well, it didn't really, so... 

TigerAnne said:
    L'Adair said:
    TigerAnne said:

Yeah, I was just thinking that DOF is this professional-looking thing that makes every image better. But well, it didn't really, so... 

There are exceptions to everything.  DOF is a useful tool but as you discovered it does not work every time.

edited October 2019
    Ruris said:

Nice start.  Are you planning on adding anything else to the image?

Hi,

Just finding answers to some questions:

a) How to paint light/fog effectively. Which light color goes well with the background scene 

b) Understand the depth layer function better

My reference image is as below, nothing so ambitious though. Just trying to expand the skillset before falling back to the usual.

Post edited by Chohole on

Well, then... Here's the first edition of my *~*atmospheric*~* entry. Version 2 is in the works.

• Version b here. Tried to thicken the main fog some, added some ground fog, and did some texture work on his arm lights.

oct2019b.png
    1003 x 872 - 1M
  • Interesting challange! I have 0 experience on this effect so I shall prepare, read a lot, try a lot, until I can make something satisfactory.  

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited October 2019

Version b here. Tried to thicken the main fog some, added some ground fog, and did some texture work on his arm lights.

Looking at the picture I had an idea for you, see if you like it.

See, at the moment you have two environmental effects going on, one on top (which looks ok), and one at the feet (which looks like a liquid more than thicker gas). All illuminated by a rather strangely emissive and a bit overwhelming green floor.  

What if, instead of illuminating everything from the floor, you place some intense lights outside the windows providing Godrays through the top atmospheric effect, while the bottom could be shaded with either a goo or liquid (which you can then color in many ways).  

Just an idea! 

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
    TigerAnne said:

Well, then... Here's the first edition of my *~*atmospheric*~* entry. Version 2 is in the works.

That looks really good so far. The creature in the fog looks like something out of a nightmare. Great start!

Version b here. Tried to thicken the main fog some, added some ground fog, and did some texture work on his arm lights.

I think I recognize the ground fog prop. If I'm right, I never had much luck making the mesh look wispy and cloudlike, which real fog tends to be. (The prop I have is great at a distance though!)

The main fog being thicker definitely works. The corridor seems to stretch into the distance with the end and the door obscured.

This image is coming along very nicely.

This is version 2, and I think I overdid the fog a little with this one. What does anyone else think? Should I bring the fog-wall back up to where it was in the first image? In other changes, I switched out the shrub next to the dead tree with one that looked more natural, made some of the background firs taller, and brought the gargoyle up a bit so his tail and legs are more visible. I think he looks a bit like a heraldic creature, and when you have great legs like that, you wanna show them off!

L'Adair said:

That looks really good so far. The creature in the fog looks like something out of a nightmare. Great start!

Thanks! I think seeing something like this in the woods, on a dark and dreary evening, is just about my favourite irrational fear. Back when I was 11 we had a family get-together and two of my elderly relatives told stories about people they had known personally having seen a Jersey Devilish monster in our neck of the Norwegian woods. My aunt's teacher (I think it was) saw "a huge horse walking on its hind-legs" crossing a country road in front of her, sometime in the early 20th century. Then Dad & Aunt's cousin replied that it sounded like what his childhood buddy had seen while he was out ice-skating as a lad. I was spooked to the bone, and got slightly obsessed with finding out what this could have been. When I saw a picture of the Jersey Devil online, a giant chill went down my spine! And I don't even really believe it happened. O_O (I think they may have seen deer doing that jumping thing that deer do. It must have been very frightening to experience, though.)