Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• chromchrom Posts: 254

Where can I get DAZ 4.12 beta?

I tried

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

but don't see it.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2019
    chrom said:

Where can I get DAZ 4.12 beta?

I tried

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

but don't see it.

Okay, here's my instructions from a previous post:

L'Adair said:
    Here's the answer, complete for any who might be searching the forums for the same answer:
    1. Like all products at Daz, free or not, you have to purchase the Beta. Just put it in the cart and checkout. That puts the product in your Account and makes it available to install.
    2. The beta requires you use the Daz Install Manager, (DIM) to install. If you do not have DIM installed, you'll need to do that first.
    3. Open and Log On to DIM.
    4. When DIM is through connecting, type Public in the filter field in the upper right corner. (at this point, you shouldn't see much of anything.)
    5. On the Ready to Download tab, click on the button labeled Download Filters. (This will open the settings dialog directly to the Downloads tab.)
    6. Scroll down to the Software option and enable it, if necessary, (click in the checkbox.)*
    7. Scroll down to the Public Build option and enable it.
    8. Click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the dialog window.
    9. You should now see a list of files with Public Build highlighted.
    10. Select these files
    11. Make sure the Install After Download option is checked.
    12. Click on the green Start Queue button on the bottom left of the DIM window.
    13. After all the files have been downloaded and installed, clear the search filter, (delete the text, Public.)

There you go.

Have fun with the Beta!

*This was added since the original post.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,119

Would 4.12 even still be available as a beta now that it's the general release?

• Gordig said:

Yes.

• Gordig said:

Recently Daz has been updating the Public Build to match the General Release, when there isn't a newer version, so that people have the option to try it out before replacing the previous build.

• chromchrom Posts: 254
    Gordig said:

Recently Daz has been updating the Public Build to match the General Release, when there isn't a newer version, so that people have the option to try it out before replacing the previous build.

that is exactly my intention.

@L'Adair
    Thank you for the instructions. I only read & tried the description at the link and missed the buying of the beta.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Well, I'm trying out the beta, but keeping a copy of the old beta files.

... Cause, well software. :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Beta and General Release do not seem to be exactly the same right now. Beta is 4.12.0.85 and General Release is 4.12.0.86.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited September 2019
    barbult said:

Beta and General Release do not seem to be exactly the same right now. Beta is 4.12.0.85 and General Release is 4.12.0.86.

I believe the differences are minor styling layout changes, rather than functional http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#private_channel (edited after correction by Rob).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

I just updated my beta version of Studio to the latest and now I can't seem to make the left pane window smaller by using the yellow highlited line, just bigger, it now is taking up more than a third of my screen.  If I orient the tabs along the top of the window I can make it a bit smaller but when I switch the tabs back to the side they are hidden behind the viewport then.  Is this a bug or is there some adjustment I need to make in studio?  I have never had this happen with any other updates.

• Kharma said:

I just updated my beta version of Studio to the latest and now I can't seem to make the left pane window smaller by using the yellow highlited line, just bigger, it now is taking up more than a third of my screen.  If I orient the tabs along the top of the window I can make it a bit smaller but when I switch the tabs back to the side they are hidden behind the viewport then.  Is this a bug or is there some adjustment I need to make in studio?  I have never had this happen with any other updates.

Is the Timeline pane docked there? If so remove it (drag it out or close it) and dock it at the bottom or leave it to float, assuming you want it at all.

Kharma said:

Is the Timeline pane docked there? If so remove it (drag it out or close it) and dock it at the bottom or leave it to float, assuming you want it at all.

No I never have the timeline tab open, this left hand pane has the tabs for content library, smart content etc ( not sure of all tabe as I am at work right now) but I am sure I could slide the yellow hilite further to the laft to make that pane narrower before the update

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2019
    Kharma said:
    Kharma said:

No I never have the timeline tab open, this left hand pane has the tabs for content library, smart content etc ( not sure of all tabe as I am at work right now) but I am sure I could slide the yellow hilite further to the laft to make that pane narrower before the update

Are there any panes docked to the same location as the viewport? (You'd see one or more tabs at the top, next to the tab for Viewport.)

ETA: Another issue I've seen is when the object listed in the left column of the left pane, (especially in Parameter,) has a long name, I can't resize the column if it means covering up part of the name. Could that be what's going on?

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • L'Adair said:
    Kharma said:
    Kharma said:

Are there any panes docked to the same location as the viewport? (You'd see one or more tabs at the top, next to the tab for Viewport.)

ETA: Another issue I've seen is when the object listed in the left column of the left pane, (especially in Parameter,) has a long name, I can't resize the column if it means covering up part of the name. Could that be what's going on?

In the current version? http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_75

Fixed #DS-1886: Choosing a long labeled node in the scene selection dropdown found in various panes is causing minimum size issues for the widget/pane

edited September 2019

I have attached a screen shot of my Studio window with the yellow hilited side showing .. i can't move it to the left any farther than it is to  make that pane smaller and I am sure I could prior to updating the Beta. I tried with the timeline tab open and closed since Richard mentioned it and it didn't make any difference.

viewport size.jpg
    1647 x 1044 - 150K
    Post edited by Kharma on
    Kharma said:

I have attached a screen shot of my Studio window with the yellow hilited side showing .. i can't move it to the left any farther than it is to  make that pane smaller and I am sure I could prior to updating the Beta. I tried with the timeline tab open and closed since Richard mentioned it and it didn't make any difference.

This screenshot shows that you DO have the Timeline pane open. It is at the very bottom of the screenshot on the left. I don't know if that is causing your problem. though, since it doesn't appear to be part of that pane group on the left. Since you don't use it, you could close it and see if that helps.

@barbult Yes this screen shot shoes the timeline tab, I had tried with it open and closed but same result.  I also hadn't made any changes to my studio layout prior to or after updating that I know of so I thought maybe I clicked something without realizing to cause this to happen now

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Can i install beta if i'm using 4.8 daz studio?

I heard that you changed CMS since 4.9 so i wonder if i'll have to do additional library or smth

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133

You should be OK - I still run DS 4.6.3.52 as my "standard" version alongside the DS4.11.0.383 Beta, sharing the CMS databses and have found no problems.  (I wanted to keep DS4.6 for various reasons, so I've just been using Betas since DS4.7 was released)

I assume you are already using PostGreSQL rather than Valentina databases? I think PostgreSQL came in with DS4.6.3 so by DS4.8 it was probably standard?

Oh, one thing: I use DIM to install everything, I have never used Connect - there may be a difference there which might cause CMS database problems, I really don't know about that.

• MelanieL said:

You should be OK - I still run DS 4.6.3.52 as my "standard" version alongside the DS4.11.0.383 Beta, sharing the CMS databses and have found no problems.  (I wanted to keep DS4.6 for various reasons, so I've just been using Betas since DS4.7 was released)

I assume you are already using PostGreSQL rather than Valentina databases? I think PostgreSQL came in with DS4.6.3 so by DS4.8 it was probably standard?

Yes, PostgreSQL had been the default for soem time by 4.8 so unless you have Valentina only from a long time back you should be OK. Even if not, you can (barring corruption) convert the database to PostgreSQL and use that in both 4.8 and 4.12.

edited September 2019
    MelanieL said:

I suggest you read the first post here carefully before starting: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/353851/daz-studio-4-12-pro-general-release/p1 - I think it applies as much to installing the Beta alongside a very old version as it does to upgrading to the general release.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Rob has added a note that running an older version (pre 4.9.x.x) is ill-advised as there were significant changes made.

Kharma said:

@barbult Yes this screen shot shoes the timeline tab, I had tried with it open and closed but same result.  I also hadn't made any changes to my studio layout prior to or after updating that I know of so I thought maybe I clicked something without realizing to cause this to happen now

@Kharma I have 4.12.0.85 Public Beta. I can move the slider, but there does seem to be a minimum width that I can't go below. I'm just throwing out ideas now:

1. What is the resolution of your monitor?  If your monitor resolution is small, the left dock may take up a large percentage of your screen. Your screen looks pretty big from the screenshot, though.
    2. What happens if you save your custom Workspace (so you can reload it later) and then undock (remove from the pane group) the panes (tabs) one by one? Can you figure out whether one or more of them is causing the problem? For example, I have Look at my Hair and LAMH2Iray Catalyzer in that left dock. If I remove them from the left dock, I can make the left dock narrower than I can when they are in the dock. 
    3. Along those same lines, what happens if you save your custom Workspace (so you can reload it later) and then try one of the built in Workspaces, like City Limits, Hollywood Blvd or Darkside? Do they work as you expect?
    4. Did you run the Update and Merge Menus command? Does that fix anything? It is recommended that you do that when updating the software version.
    5. Have you submitted a help request? Maybe customer service knows what to do.

Rob has added a note that running an older version (pre 4.9.x.x) is ill-advised as there were significant changes made.

Where did he do that? Perhaps I ought to read it.

Kharma said:

I checked on my install of DS 4.10 and I can definitely make the left docking area alot smaller than in the 4.12 BETA  so this must be a problem with my install as it doesn't seem anyone else has mentioned having the same issue?

barbult said:
    Kharma said:

@Kharma I have 4.12.0.85 Public Beta. I can move the slider, but there does seem to be a minimum width that I can't go below. I'm just throwing out ideas now:

1. What is the resolution of your monitor?  If your monitor resolution is small, the left dock may take up a large percentage of your screen. Your screen looks pretty big from the screenshot, though.
    2. What happens if you save your custom Workspace (so you can reload it later) and then undock (remove from the pane group) the panes (tabs) one by one? Can you figure out whether one or more of them is causing the problem? For example, I have Look at my Hair and LAMH2Iray Catalyzer in that left dock. If I remove them from the left dock, I can make the left dock narrower than I can when they are in the dock. 
    3. Along those same lines, what happens if you save your custom Workspace (so you can reload it later) and then try one of the built in Workspaces, like City Limits, Hollywood Blvd or Darkside? Do they work as you expect?
    4. Did you run the Update and Merge Menus command? Does that fix anything? It is recommended that you do that when updating the software version.
    5. Have you submitted a help request? Maybe customer service knows what to do.

@barbault thank you so much!  I had already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Beta but that didn't make a difference, so I started as you suggested closing tabs, sure enough as soon as I closed the Figure Setup tab I could resize the pane.  thanks a million ...   I hope Daz notices what an asset you are in the forums, always helping and offering suggestions!

• I miss DAZ 4.10. I have Iray scenes that rendered beautifully on CPU on my little lappy, but those same scenes won't render at all with 4.11 0r 4.12. That doesn't make sense. I'd live to be able to retrograde to 4.10.

• MelanieL said:

Rob has added a note that running an older version (pre 4.9.x.x) is ill-advised as there were significant changes made.

Where did he do that? Perhaps I ought to read it.

Added as in sent a note to the mods.