Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• edited November 2013

Attempt number 8 isn't going to plan. I did as you described but there are 2 programs the same and although I typed the path I still had the same message back. Everything is in E: Drive and I'm beginning to think that some of the installs should go elsewhere. Your example may not have been deliberate but you show path as C:/Program Files.

I did suggest letting the installer install and let it install to the default paths. I will have to take a chance on the C: drive being able to cope with the load. Let me know what you think. Also where you think I might be going wrong.

Roger
    EDIT: I'm not good at this but somewhere along the line I somehow do it by sheer thoughtfulness. I hope you spotted my deliberate mistake. I didn't use the correct program. It's now installed and it wouldn't have had I not selected the correct program in path:

E:/Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended Windows

Hope that was the correct program to type but it's as it reads in the drive. But I'm still a bit dubious as to where the Content has gone to.

Just checked and it's in C:/users etc. Thought that was where something would end up.

Post edited by longlat51_c79b389436 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited November 2013

The DIM defaults to Installing CONTENT to C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library. That to can be changed to any Drive or folder you prefer. This is what you should do. Use DIM to uninstall all CONTENT only, not your plugins or DAZ Studio just content. Then in the GEAR icon again set the PATH to a folder you want. You will then need to set the DAZ Studio Content paths to the same folder. This is shown below.

Capture-006.png
    477 x 464 - 38K
    Capture-005.png
    678 x 540 - 76K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

I assume the attached list is the Content although some are not looking at them. Can you please tick those that I should uninstall please.

Thanks

DIM.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 287K
  • edited December 1969

I need something definite so I don't mess this up as I'm inexperienced with DAZ. I have red that I can just Copy DAZ 3D Library that is in C: drive at the moment, and I want to put it into my E: drive. Is this correct because I can't sort out what is content in my list to uninstall with DIM. (DIM being the operative word lol).

Is it possible as long as I make sure that DAZ knows the new paths.

edited November 2013

I suggested the CONTENT uninstall as that will remove all the Metadata to the products installed and create the new Metadata from the content folder you install to later. It also will allow all content to be installed to the new folder you point the DIM to just as if it was never installed before, keeping things simple. Please let me know if you know how to configure DIM to a new folder to install to and if you know how to configure the new PATH in DAZ Studio before you do this. Here is what to NOT uninstall...

DIM.jpg
    583 x 736 - 107K
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for reply sorry for insistence.

I think I know how to do it. First off I uninstall those you've pointed out and leaving the others. Then on reinstall I just change the path like on your example screen shot and change it to E:/My DAZ 3D Library. But I'm sure you will be the first to correct me.

edited November 2013

It says VERY clearly DO NOT uninstall those 3. Uninstall all the rest. Opps Miss read ignore this...

• edited December 1969

Jade I have just sent a PM to you but it doesn't show up in my SENT box. Can you confirm either way please and I'll have to format another message.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If you want to save a copy of a PM to your sent box you have to check the box that says " Store a copy in the Sent messages folder?" under the type panel

• edited December 1969

Thank you Chohole. I hope the PM did actually get sent though.

edited December 1969

Nope. No new PM in my box from you. I'm here now and will be for at least the next 6 or so hours from this post time.

• edited December 1969

You didn't get it was no surprise there. I know what to do next time although the first time I sent a PM I didn't tick the option to save as sent.

Anyway, I have done my best with DAZ and it's installed and loaded, although I'm not sure if the content should work if it's pathed to C:/user etc. I did all the paths to E: when I elected to download and install after as per option.

So, I now have PS CS^ sorted. DAZ Studio kind of sorted. Poser Pro 2014 and finally FaceShop 8EZ.
    If you want any information as to what I did as per the DIM box I can always show you with screenshot so you can ascertain if it's correct or not.

Just as a start I'll attach the DIM installer box. They don't look right to me. For instance why is there more than one DAZ 3D Studio in the list? And I couldn't understand the paths as per the application suggestions, although the only thing that looks right is that 64bit was pathed to E:. All very weird.

DIM.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 580K
    edited November 2013

Um... I think your NOT understanding DIM at all. Here let me try to help...

Image #1: Paths to my Applications, That is the paths to the Programs as they are installed on my PC. You should set yours to your programs and where they are installed.

Image #2: Path to the FOLDER on my DATA DRIVE that I have DIM install all the content to. Yours should be set to the Content Folder you wish to use.

Image #3/4: How my DIM is set up to pick which files will be installed to my PC.

Capture-004.png
    680 x 633 - 128K
    Capture-003.png
    680 x 631 - 126K
    Capture-002.png
    681 x 543 - 106K
    Capture-001.png
    684 x 543 - 100K
  • edited December 1969

You are so, so right. I DON'T understand DIM at all. Here is the attached screen shot of my E Drive.

E_Drive.jpg
    338 x 893 - 161K
  • edited November 2013

And the screenshot for C Drive Public Documents

I have asked before so I will ask again. Why could I not just copy the folder from C drive and paste it into E drive?

C_Drive_Public_Documents.jpg
    305 x 570 - 112K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

If you want Studio installed to the E: drive by DIM on the Installation tab where is says "64 bit Software" type in E:/
    Once studio is installed go to the Applications tab, delete three of those "DAZ Studio 4.5+", with the one remaining press the '...' button to navigate to the folder that holds DAZStudio.exe file and select that folder.

edited December 1969

You could simply Copy the Full My DAZ 3D Library to your E drive. But you will then need to redo your Metadata and the DIM. The way I suggested would be a 100% clean install needing nothing but a install of content. But if you do not understand DIM then even that will not be easy. I was as simple as I could be in my examples of DIM. DIM really is as easy as I explained, many people try to over think it.

Set a Download folder, set the paths to your installed programs, set what you want installed and then never change it again. It does the rest.

• edited December 1969

What I am going to do now is that I have ordered a new HD. So when it arrives I will attempt again to let the DIM do all the work for me. Will I be correct in saying that by doing it the NORMAL way the install will go much smoother and let it install to the default rather than trying to manually place it elsewhere.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

It's always hard to guarantee that an install will go smoothly--the first time I installed DS, I messed it up, despite the fact that I was following instructions that, in hindsight, seem quite clear. But if you do a default install it should go smoothly. The fewer settings you change, the fewer opportunities there are for something to get messed up.

So I do recommend to anyone that you use the default install settings, unless you have a compelling reason not to.

• edited December 1969

The "compelling" reason has been mentioned many times Scott-, C: drive not adequate for so many installs, and choice of E: drive was my one option being a 1TB compared to a 120GB money box.

edited November 2013

The "compelling" reason has been mentioned many times Scott-, C: drive not adequate for so many installs, and choice of E: drive was my one option being a 1TB compared to a 120GB money box.

I understand that--I was just trying to answer the question in your previous post. It's certainly possible to do a custom install, but the more you customize, the more room for error.

Edited to add: I agree with Jaderail that the best solution, if you want to do a custom install, is to start over rather than trying to fix an installation that went wrong. (That's oversimplifying things a bit...Jaderail's posts starting here describe how to do a clean install of your content).

...And, here's a link to the official documentation on setting up install locations.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072
    edited December 2013

Okay, I've been struggling with the 4.6 Pro since I downloaded it and that would be the main reason I've not really gotten into the program.

I have the program installed on the C drive, with the native Genesis products in the C drive Runtime to avoid issues. I have my old runtimes connected to Studio via the content manager, along with the old version of 3 Adv. (Since a lot of the old content is installed there, rather than move it), and the newer external runtimes that I made when I purchased my external. I had 4 installed on the external, so whatever runtime content I installed with it is linked as well, and the Poser directories that has Genesis products associated with it is linked too.

However: 90 % of the Genesis content I have purchased from this site do not show in either the smart content nor the content library tab. None of the G2 Figures show up at all, nor their content that I've started to purchase.

I've been using this program since 2, but for whatever reason this has gotten beyond confusing for me.

I manually install the content; the poser files haven't shown any issues but the newer runtime folder hierarchy seems to be giving me issues even if I do not change a thing during the install. The files for Studio 4.6 are opened, installed into the 4.6 Pro directory as the instructions stated and still do not show up when I re-start Studio. I've uninstalled once before, and I'd hate to do this again and have the same issue after spending all of that time in doing this.

I also have issues with the DSON importer into Poser 10, I can load the Genesis figure but the morphs aren't there even if I load them- they don't work. That, however, is another issue.

Right now I'm concerned with getting Studio working properly so I can utilize this into my art.

Here is the shot of the manager and the shot of the library showing only the original Genesis figures and not the G2 male/female that I've installed:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5e6yajt789bdl9/Screenshot 2013-12-02 06.16.38.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wigrji19eu22m9m/Screenshot 2013-12-02 06.26.00.png

Screenshot_2013-12-02_06.26_.00_.png
    1280 x 1024 - 285K
    Screenshot_2013-12-02_06.16_.38_.png
    1280 x 1024 - 257K
    Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
  • edited December 1969

I feel for you Darwins. I've not even gotten into DAZ etc because of the current problems. At least I've become quite an expert in uninstalling when everything goes pear shaped.

edited December 1969

@DarwinsMishap: If you have installed items and they are not showing up in the Content Library, check to see if the location where the content is installed is listed under the mapped directories in the Content Directory Manager. If it is not listed, adding the location should solve the problem. Full instructions with screenshots are available here. Whether the content will show up in Smart Content is a more complicated question...if Smart Content is still not working after you're able to find the content in the Content Library, you can find some troubleshooting instructions here.

@saintly1941: Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble! My laptop is having some technical difficulties right now, but once I get that fixed I'm planning to do a new install of DS and content so that I can update the first post of this thread with current information. I can also check on the process of doing a custom content install for you, at that time.

• edited December 2013

Thanks very much Scott.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072
    edited December 1969

@DarwinsMishap: If you have installed items and they are not showing up in the Content Library, check to see if the location where the content is installed is listed under the mapped directories in the Content Directory Manager. If it is not listed, adding the location should solve the problem. Full instructions with screenshots are available here. Whether the content will show up in Smart Content is a more complicated question...if Smart Content is still not working after you're able to find the content in the Content Library, you can find some troubleshooting instructions here.

@saintly1941: Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble! My laptop is having some technical difficulties right now, but once I get that fixed I'm planning to do a new install of DS and content so that I can update the first post of this thread with current information. I can also check on the process of doing a custom content install for you, at that time.

Thank you for the link, however I do know how to install content- I have since vrs 2. The products I'm describing did not come with that sort of installer, but a zip file. The clothing came in Poser, DS, and Legacy zip file options. I can't remember about Genesis 2's starter packs, but I will look again. Some character texture sets have shown up in the Poser Runtime, but not in the Studio Runtime.

As a matter of fact, I have been through that entire set of instructions prior to placing my question into this forum since I am not a new user- I thought it was best to look for an answer on my own. Which I've been doing since vrs. 4 came out, and the content seemed to have issues in showing in the library tree for me to use, even though the files were placed in the correct folders in the runtime library .

I have, now, files in My Library, Content, Runtime.........it's a mess. There are more variants in content packages in where things are stored, and where they "should" go than I have time to try and figure out. I haven't had any issues in using the Genesis character sets from Renderosity (StudioArtVartanian's sets, for example), but most of what I've purchased via this site won't show in the Studio Runtime Library- even after using the instructional installation documentation.

edited December 1969

Most DAZ Studio content is not in Runtime anylonger. Unless it comes with PoserCF's or Legacy versions. That is why DSON was created, so Poser users could use the NATIVE DAZ Studio content in Poser. Most Content for DS4 up is DAZ Studio Native format only. Not All but most.

• edited December 1969

Any progress with your laptop Scott?

edited December 1969

Any progress with your laptop Scott?

Fixed as of last night (at least it seems to be working...), so I'll do the reinstall either tonight or tomorrow, and will post an update here when I have a chance.
    edited December 1969

How to reinstall your content to a custom location, using DIM

This assumes you already have the Install Manager installed and set up (but didn’t customize install locations when that was done)

1. Open DIM and go to the “Installed” tab
    2. Check the box at the top for “products”
    3. IMPORTANT: uncheck (clear) the checkbox for anything you do NOT want to uninstall. This may include software like DAZ Studio, and plug-ins like GoZ for DAZ Studio and the Photoshop Bridge.
    4. Click Start Queue once you are ready to uninstall the selected items
    5. Click the gear icon (in the upper right corner, next to Help)
    6. Click the Installation tab
    7. See where it says “64-bit software” and “32-bit software?” If you only want to reinstall content (not programs like DAZ Studio, Bryce, etc.), don’t change these addresses.
    8. Look further down, at the table with headings “Label” and “Path.” This shows the location or locations where your content will be installed. You can set up multiple locations for your content, but for now I’ll just add one additional location, set it as the new default, and install content to that location.
    9. Click the plus sign in the lower left. Enter a label of your choice (I’m using “My Preferred Location” and enter a path (I’ll use “C:/DAZ Content”).
    10. Click “Accept.”
    11. At the bottom, change the “Current” location by using the dropdown to select the label of the location you added, and click “Accept.”
    12. Now go to the “Ready to Download” tab and select any content you would like to install (or check the box at the top labeled “Products” to quickly select all).
    13. Look at the checkbox at the bottom labeled “Install After Download.” Make sure it’s checked if you want the Install Manager to automatically install content to your preferred location (the one you selected in Step 11) after downloading the files. However, if you prefer to download the files first and then tell Install Manager when and where to install them, make sure the box is not checked. For now I’m leaving it checked.
    14. When you’re ready, click the “Start Queue” box at the bottom. The Install Manager will now download your selected products and install them to the location that you chose.

Now you’re done...sort of. The last step is that you tell DAZ Studio how to find the content that you just installed. Here’s a link to instructions explaining how to do that.