Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2013

Criss...love the light on the mountain, but can't see your clouds moving. Tee many mar-toonies...(hic)? ;)

franontheedge...the orange light on the wall (very nice bumpy wall, too) is lovely, so if you intend to do changes, I would keep it.

Guss...don't know which one to choose, but pushed, the last one looks nicest.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Gee... everyone has been so busy! Which is good. I've been bogged down and feeling like I'm getting a cold. Probably didn't help matters going cycling yesterday and sitting in a pub drinking too much beer before reluctantly going home in the dark and rain and cold. So if I am suffering today with a cold - I guess that's all my own silly fault. So grey and cold and damp and cold and grey here. So instead of reiterating the comments that have already been made, I thought I would throw up (bad choice of works) - put up (better) a bit of colour. These are from the endless delving into Hypertexture materials that Horo and I are currently engaged in. Uncovering this capacity withing Bryce is not just a can of worms, it's like box of can's of worms... there are so many options it is just baffling... Horo has already started tabulating the results of what we have so far - but even then... baffling. Anyway, renders first reasons later.

Hyper_spec_response7d.jpg
    850 x 850 - 454K
    Hyper_spec_response7c.jpg
    850 x 850 - 618K
    Hyper_spec_response7b.jpg
    850 x 850 - 659K
    Hyper_spec_response7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 482K
    edited December 1969

Oh... there's a few more yet...

High_emission_visible_gel6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 513K
    High_emission_visible_gel4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 703K
    High_emission_visible_gel5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 749K
    High_emission_visible_gel3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 787K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,954
    edited December 1969

David - cool stuff, the last one is my fav, just love the reflections on the objects.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@David - Fits to the season - these renders are cool (beer's ok in the evening, biking home in the rain is not).

edited December 1969

Oh well... as I said it is my own silly fault for going out in the first place. *sniff*

Hyper_texture_testing_again3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 546K
    Hyper_texture_testing_again2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 595K
    Hyper_texture_testing_again1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 617K
    High_emission_visible_gel10.jpg
    850 x 850 - 670K
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh well... as I said it is my own silly fault for going out in the first place. *sniff*
    The dreggins are all so nice :)
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Holy hypertexture, BrinMan! You've come back with a vengeance. Nice work. I can't decide which I like best, so I vote for all of them!

@Dave: That is a neat render of Ralph and the Dalek. Thanks for sharing your technique on the black fade using haze. Never thought of doing that and plan on using it in some of my renders.

@cris333: Good job on the mountain scene. I couldn't get the clouds to move so I shook my head back and forth!

@Fran: Thanks for the invite! I like cheese, but I suspect sometimes there's TOO much of a good thing! :) Nice street scene. Is the clock one you made before? The reason I ask is that on cgshare, I saw some textures you had used for a clock and was curious if that's one you made with those textures.

@Guss: The spheres look great. You're getting some really nice results. I'll respond to your PM in a few....I'll have a reply to you faster than I finish my next tutorial! LOL

@mermaid: Hmmm, that's one I can't answer. But, I'm sure one of the pros here can give you the right one.

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnien - I hope you feel better. I do like what you have produced.

Here some renders based on David's Hyper Texture video. Actual 4 renders: one positive IBL, one negative IBL, and 2 post processed using the prior two. I hope that they appear in the post I added them to the post.

Icosahedron_with_Scaffolding2_-_with_1_reflected.jpg
    995 x 995 - 1M
    Icosahedron_with_Scaffolding1_-_with_2_reflected.jpg
    995 x 995 - 1M
    Icosahedron_with_Scaffolding2.jpg
    995 x 995 - 997K
    Icosahedron_with_Scaffolding1.jpg
    995 x 995 - 1M
    edited November 2013

@David - I agree with Art that all 4 renders look great. I particularly like the horizontal lines on the second and third. Though I think the 3rd has the HDRI tone-mapped.

@Dangerlad - First and third are really great. The backdrop looks unusual but nice.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited November 2013

Alien Artefact 002 Vox-Mtl by MatCreator with a bit of positive and negative hyper textures and an HDRI.

aa02.jpg
    800 x 800 - 86K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

A few more tests, the final two were hypertextures used to create shadow capture areas. Both files crashed.

Image2.jpg
    895 x 900 - 507K
    Image1.jpg
    907 x 899 - 530K
    High_emission_visible_gel8.jpg
    850 x 850 - 506K
    High_emission_visible_gel9.jpg
    850 x 850 - 471K
    High_emission_visible_gel7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 603K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited November 2013

@Horo: Thank you. As to the sphere, I hadn't thought of a scene to use it in, thinking that far ahead hurts the gray matter. I think the lighting really makes your little green creature look good.

@David: The first set of images on this page are really nice. So are the ones in the second set. Were I to pick one in the second set, it would be the last one due to the results of light traveling through the objects. Though I like the middle two since they remind me of carnival glass. Of the next set, the first dragon is my favorite, it's more glass like, which I like. And the last ones, sheesh, it's a toss up, so they're all very nice.

@Dangerlad: Those are really cool looking, a bit weird, but cool. I think it interesting if one setting is used you get a mirrored reflection. And another setting used, a complimentary color reflection.

Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad: Those are really cool looking, a bit weird, but cool. I think it interesting if one setting is used you get a mirrored reflection. And another setting used, a complimentary color reflection.

@ GussNemo - Actually what I did was rendered three images, one using positive IBL (HDRI Effect and Specularity), one using negative IBL settings and the final image (not seen) an object mask. I then opened GIMP and used the object mask to combine the two rendered images into the two other images.

edited December 1969

@Dangerlad: Ah, okay, I can see that. But I have seen complimentary reflections using similar settings. The object may have appeared dark but the reflection was very close to white. And I'm not even sure I could reproduce those results without going back through all the experiments I did to find the settings. Still, regardless the process, they look really good. Be nice on a tee-shirt.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo, I vaguely recall watching on of David's videos were he was using a hyper texture on an object (I think it was one of the Stanford dragons) with a reflective ground plane and produced a reflection of the object that was a different color than the object itself.

My intent for the render was nothing as fancy, I was just following David's SFX hyper texture videos and I decided to play with the two images. I've done that a couple of times in the past where I've followed a video and I thought about how the image would look if I did this or how can I combine these to effects and what would that look like. Some times the only way I can think of getting a certain effect to look like I want is to do it in post.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@fencepost
    I've looked at those 2 tuts of David's and following your mention of putting a different .brt texture on the ground plane and changing the mapping mode, I got this – no mylar effect but an interesting change in the color of the reflection – so this must be what horo did – he did say, but in waiting days for my standard lamp to render I lost the will to live...
    I'll have to hunt that message up...
    Hmmm, yes I thought so – it's pretty much the same recipe as David's video tut – but with some subtle differences, not the same as what I have just done, but resulting in a similar effect.

All I did was to take the ground place with the same hyper texture as the objects, and just changed the base texture to Jerry Garcia and set it to sinusoidal, and hey presto. I didn't do any adjusting like we did with the blue check material in David's tut.

Oh and look, guys! A new cube thingie. I was playing with David's recipe and adding inset for scafolding - went through it a few times, slightly differently each time until I got this one, which I rather liked.
    The second image is earlier in the process and the only other result that I liked. - no ground plane.

Still can't get mylar effect though... sniff

HyperTextures6.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 111K
    HyperTexturesNeg12.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 179K
    edited December 1969

On the lantern: I have now rendered the lantern in the same scene but as the only object with colour – I turned everything else to default gray.
    This worked... up to the point where I realised that my ground surface (a cube UV mapped in Wings3d) had no bump, none at all.
    I tried creating a bump texture for it, but carefully drawing around each stone – avoiding the grouting, and then filled the stones with white and the grounting with black, saving this for the bump. It didn't work, it had no effect whatsoever.
    I usually intensify the colour texture by desaturating it, adjusting levels and increasing the contrast and adjusting the brightness, up or down, depending.
    This too has no effect on the bump channel.
    So what on earth is going on? – the same procedure (desat the colour texture etc etc) works just fine for the walls – done in exactly the same way, so why not this floor?
    In this next render of the lantern you can see one square of paving stones which does have bump – but that's because I gave up and used a terrain with the colour image and the desat image.

???

LanternStreetGray2.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 286K
    LantVerdigrisStandDragon10.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 278K
    edited November 2013

@ The Savage64
    I will certainly have a go with the standard lantern in the corner of the room, as I do happen to have a room all ready, with sofa! Hang on while I clear out the table and all that cheese... Lol.
    I had already done a few renders with ranged fall off – but I found that this blew out the stained glass in the lantern so much that you couldn't see the design on the glass any more, it does give those nice colours on the walls and floor though. (1st image)

I could try again in the room.
    ...Later...
    I just had another try at Ranged Fall Off in the street, it's looking a little better I think. I do apreciate your taking the time out to make suggestions, thanks. But I won't 'sacrifice' the scene, I'll just save it for later... I don't throw much away. – at all... (2nd image)

By the way I loved your dalek, what did you model him in? and what did you do the little green alien in, he's great, did you do the rigging on him?

@ Jamahoney, I'm glad you like the colours transferred to the walls etc, that's caused by the design on the stained glass of the lantern – I have 3 different designs, which each create a slightly different effect, so I am keeping the colours. Lol! But it's finding the balance between the amount of light going through that stained glass to give that effect and thus the actual designs are hard to see in the glare, or lowering the light and reducing the ranging effect – so that the designs are clear but the nice colours on the walls etc are either not there or too faded to see... sigh... or it's too dark... or...
    I'll post the different designs when I've rendered them, be interesting to see what a difference the different designs make to the light levels, one I know will be a good deal darker, so I may have to increase the light levels for that one.

@ horo
    So glad to hear you didn't think the scene was too busy, that was worrying me. It's a hard balance to achieve between a barren looking scene and – woah, too much! Lol.

@fencepost,
    The clock? yes, I uploaded a few different designs of clock some long time ago to sharecg, I'd do them a bit differently now I think, smooth them more at least.

LanternStreetGray3.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 175K
    LantVerdigrisStandDragon3.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 237K
    Post edited by franontheedge on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited November 2013

@fencepost
    I've looked at those 2 tuts of David's and following your mention of putting a different .brt texture on the ground plane and changing the mapping mode, I got this – no mylar effect but an interesting change in the color of the reflection – so this must be what horo did – he did say, but in waiting days for my standard lamp to render I lost the will to live...
    I'll have to hunt that message up...
    Hmmm, yes I thought so – it's pretty much the same recipe as David's video tut – but with some subtle differences, not the same as what I have just done, but resulting in a similar effect.

Looking really good, though! And nice work on the changes to the street scene. Add a bump map to the plane in addition to changing the mapping mode and see if that does it for you. Let me know if you have success with that.

@Horo: Like the alien render. Green colors are great! Also, thanks for the tip of the HDRI I asked about.

@Dangerlad: Nice. I like all of them, particularly the first.

Some more Hypertexture experiments from me, but going in a different direction. The last one was made by adding a specular map and stopping it during the conversion process (I believe David has a tutorial discussing that technique someplace). I like the it!

HyperTextureBrokenSpecularMap.jpg
    875 x 875 - 428K
    HyperTextureDarkSky.jpg
    875 x 875 - 281K
    HyperTexture.jpg
    875 x 875 - 545K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad: I've run that track many times. I call it the "what if?" thought. And sometimes I've come up with some nice images going this route.

@Franontheedge: Your latest scenes are really good. The two I like best are the one with just the lamp, because of the texture of the wall and how it's lit, and the last one, with the light area reduced. I don't mean to say the other ones aren't great, they each have their own nice quality, just that those two really catch my eye.

@fencepost: Those are looking nice.

I had my own little experiment going, trying the Crumpled Tin texture on the ground plain of my last image. I could see the sphere no longer worked well in the direction I was going. So I wondered "what if" and deleted the sphere and found myself going in a different direction.

First image was before deleting the sphere, the rest are playing with mirrors and the Crumpled Tin on the ground plain. There are three mirrors, one above, one in front of the camera leaning towards the camera, and the third one behind the camera leaning towards the camera.

Standard lighting was used, regular rendering, and adjustments to lighting and color were done using sun intensity controls and haze controls. Most of the images are looking at the vanishing point, but a couple are from the director view point looking at the mirror behind the camera.

Multiple_Rays_15_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Multiple_Rays_7_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Multiple_Rays_5_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Multiple_Rays_2_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Sphere_Test_27_9_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    A challenge for David B.

Can you do something like this with Bryce and Octane?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31201/P90/#488310

You can see now how far behind I am? Just after this is a lovely image of a Darlek. Which keeps distracting me from finding this post. Well.. in answer to your question - not yet so far. This is where I am at the moment. I got a bit carried away with trying to make it look like a bad photograph.

The light from above is generated from a Bryce exported HDRI of Horo's (Garage). And the same was used for the backdrop to provide some ambient light too - again this time converted to spherical map and exported from Bryce. A few bits of geometry too came along that route.

Himself, Great Cthulhu - all praise to the Elder Gods (I live on the East Coast - what do you expect?).

Came via DS, and from the shop http://www.daz3d.com/cthulhu-rising

Render time - 16 hours in Octane Standalone 1.20

Cthulhu_under_gel1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 250K
    edited November 2013

@franontheedge - nice effect on the scaffolding-cube, sphere and torus-knot.
    Nice experiments with the lantern.

@fencepost52 - that cube looks great, particularly the 3rd render.

@GussNemo - the fourth backdrop looks very technical, I like it.

@David - Cthulhu render looks just great.

Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - Cthulhu render looks just great.

It does indeed.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,954
    edited December 1969

Wow awesome renders from everyone. Dangerlad, Fencepost and Guss your experiments are very inspiring.

Tried more tutorials from Bryce-tutorials.info

The 1st is my attempt at David’s Super reflection neon effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1JGED0LzOE

And the others on reflectionless glass, the last one was an idea from someone, I think it was Rareth not sure. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqthAxggdqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEW8o_-9klU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEW8o_-9klU

reflectionlessglass3t.jpg
    650 x 650 - 35K
    reflectionlessglasst.jpg
    650 x 650 - 21K
    superreflectiveneon.jpg
    960 x 720 - 43K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - the first two show nice outlines, the last one is a sweet Easter bunny.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

David is that really you if so you look a lot like Charlie Sheen

edited November 2013

@Mermaid010 - I kind of like the third bunny in your renders. It looks like its made of crystal or glass.

@Fencepost52 - The first render is the best in my opinion. But the others are good as well. The second one looks like the objects are rising out of a pool of oil or similar liquid.

@GussNemo - The renders of the ground plane/Background are very interesting. I like them.

Here are a couple of my. The first two are based on David's Abstract renders with Hyper texture / Extreme value reflections. The second two are renders of the same object, a twisted icosahedron (different colors of course) on a reflective ground plane that has a slight bump texture. The scene was light with a combination of IBL (using one of the prior abstract renders as HDRI) and the Bryce sun (but with a reduced diffuse output). I like how the ground plane looks like water.

Icosahedron_regular_on_reflective_background_2-4RPP.jpg
    995 x 995 - 1M
    Icosahedron_regular_on_reflective_background_1.jpg
    995 x 995 - 1023K
    HyperTextureLowRes.jpg
    995 x 995 - 1M
    HyperTexture360LowRes.jpg
    995 x 995 - 2M
    Post edited by Dangerlad on
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - the "Water" does indeed look good.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited November 2013

By the way I loved your dalek, what did you model him in? and what did you do the little green alien in, he's great, did you do the rigging on him?

I didn't build the Dalek myself, it's a free download (If I remember correctly, it came from Share CG).
    What I tend to do with models like that (also all the car and bike renders I do) is to export them as .obj from Poser and then spend the required time to convert all the materials to Bryce ones, renaming and grouping components which will have the same material into colour families to make future editing easier.
    Ralph the little one eyed alien guy was a freebie that came with Poser, I just posed him there and exported him the same as the Dalek. :)
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
This discussion has been closed.