Opinions on Marvelous Designer Video Tutorial?

Comments

• The next tutorial is finished with the following chapters...

• Design Considerations
    • Retopology in MD and ZBrush, ZBrush Projections
    • MD Exporting, Morphs, ZBrush Normal Map Creation
    • MD Morphs, Rigging Daz JCM's, MD Morph Targets
    • Daz Rigid Follow Nodes, MD Draping, Creating Character Fittings

Maybe a week or two for video editing and "stuff" wink

I love your tutorials. You take out all the nonsense and immediately let you get your hands dirty. I usually fall asleep with most tutorials, but I love your 'jump-right-in" factor. So this new tutorial is already a definite purchase for me. 

• Sounds very interesting!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Good... looking forward to this new tutorial from you!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

The next tutorial is finished with the following chapters...

• Design Considerations

Sorry, but the emphasis on ZBrush takes it out of reach for me. MD was a big hit for my budget, ZBrush is impossible.

Right now I just "cheat"--I import the final pose into MD to simulate, and then export the simulated cloth back to DAZ.

That is exactly how I imagined I will do it although I have not got that far yet (I'm just working my way through a set of MD tutorials to learn how to make the clothes first). I'd like to be able to do the whole thing but without ZBrush it looks unlikely (and the chances of me getting ZBrush even more unlikely). So it's probably your way or no way.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

I think I will buy Marvelous Designer this winter if they do that $200 perpetual license sale again.

• DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited September 2019

Hope you all enjoy it!! smiley

Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited September 2019
    marble said:

• Design Considerations

Sorry, but the emphasis on ZBrush takes it out of reach for me. MD was a big hit for my budget, ZBrush is impossible.

Marble, I show you how to do it all inside of MD without going to ZBrush...working inside of ZBrush is an option/choice not a necessity. smiley

Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited September 2019

That's edge I'm buying now full price, because I'm not a cheapskate and the Substance stuff got me started with all my Iray materials !!!

Post edited by Midnight_stories on
    edited September 2019
    marble said:

• Design Considerations

Marble, I show you how to do it all inside of MD without going to ZBrush...working inside of ZBrush is an option/choice not a necessity. smiley

Now that is encouraging. Retopology has apparently improved with MD8 and they do have some basic sculpting tools included now. I'm looking at opting for the discount granted to MD8 users and getting MD9 when it is released (hopefully with further discounts like the big special offers they had last winter). MD9 will include GPU simulation which looks orders of magnitude faster than CPU although MD simulation using CPU is still many times faster than dForce in DAZ Studio.

Any hints on creating Normal Maps in Blender 2.8 rather than (or as well as) ZBrush would be welcome too. 

Just to be clear, are we discussing the Marvelous Designer Video Tutorial you have in the store right now or is this one you intend to release soon? Either way, I'll need to wishlist for a while until I have saved some pennies (I've just checked my wishlist and I already have two more of your courses listed).

Post edited by marble on
  • This new one piggy backs on the tutorial you linked to so it is Marvelous Designer Video Tutorial Redux. Normal maps are for faking details, no need to fake the wrinkles because they would be incorporated into the fabric ala Marvelous Designer.

edited September 2019

This new one piggy backs on the tutorial you linked to so it is Marvelous Designer Video Tutorial Redux. Normal maps are for faking details, no need to fake the wrinkles because they would be incorporated into the fabric ala Marvelous Designer.

Ok thanks. So I don't need both tutorials - actually, my greater need is for the workflow between DAZ Studio and MD. Any help with making clothing is, of course, very useful but I have a couple of video tutorials I am working through right now. They do not have much to say about working together with DAZ Studio though and clearly that is what is interesting your potential customers here.

I only mentioned Normal Maps because you did in your summary ...

Post edited by marble on

Having just waded through a lengthy MD tutorial (CG Elves) I'm itching to se what this new one (discussed in this thread) will offer for DAZ Studio/MD interaction. For example, sending conforming or dForce garments to MD to work on them. There seem to be differeing opinions on whether that process is worth the effort as the results can be well short of expectations.

Any update on a possible release date?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited November 2019

I finally got the Dark Edge Design Marvelous Designer tutorial and downloaded the MD Trial yesterday. I'm thrilled with what I've learned from the tutorial so far. I made these loose fitting pants and the tank top following the tutorial instructions. I applied dForce Dynamic Surface to them in Daz Studio and they simulated very well with various poses I tried. I hope there will be more of these tutorials coming to the Daz store soon. I like the Dark Edge Design tutorial style and content.

G8F MD Tutorial Clothes.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 841K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited November 2019

Oops - duplicate

barbult said:

I finally got the Dark Edge Design Marvelous Designer tutorial and downloaded the MD Trial yesterday. I'm thrilled with what I've learned from the tutorial so far. I made these loose fitting pants and the tank top following the tutorial instructions. I applied dForce Dynamic Surface to them in Daz Studio and they simulated very well with various poses I tried. I hope there will be more of these tutorials coming to the Daz store soon. I like the Dark Edge Design tutorial style and content.

Oh dear, you put me to shame. I've had MD8 for many months and have not created anything. I keep taking the lazy way out and buying dForce clothing. I am encoraged to see you have managed to import the clothes and apply dForce but I just wish dForce was as versatile as MD draping. I'm pondering on whether to take advantage of the upgrade discount and go for MD9.

I would have been really intimidated by the whole program, without the tutorial. The tutorial takes you right through the steps to use MD with Daz Studio and the steps to create the pants and top. I haven't tried adding the pockets and other details he demonstrated yet.

I do have tutorials and I really must find time to go through them. I am, however, really interested in the tutorial discussed in this thread - the one not yet released. Using MD together with DAZ Studio is really my ultimate need and hopefully that tutorial will get me moving.

• @Barbult very nice to see someone's work, your outfit looks great! smiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited November 2019

Marvelous Designer is useful to make clothes for Carrara too - here is an old example of mine, clothing done in MD (probably MD6 I think), Carrara dynamic hair and rendered with Octane plugin for Carrara.

DoloresFullFinal.jpg
    1600 x 2400 - 540K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited November 2019

@Barbult very nice to see someone's work, your outfit looks great! smiley

@DarkEdgeDesign, thanks for your encouragement, I've gone on to convert my tank top to a V-Neck and make it a little looser. I created a circle skirt, based on what I learned in the tutorials about free sewing, to attach the waistband to the skirt waist hole. I saw a promo for a new tutorial on YouTube. Will it be coming to the Daz store soon? I'm eager to learn more from you, even though I haven't mastered everything in the first MD tutorial.

G8F MD Tutorial Clothes V Neck Circle Skirt Greer Hair_001.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 1M

Very nice outfit.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,232
    edited November 2019
    barbult said:

Have you considered doing the cloth simulation in Marvelous Designer rather than D-force?  At high particle density, the cloth sim in MD is a lot better looking than D-force, in my opinion.

You can transition to the new poses in MD by either doing a series of 'morph targets' or importing the pose transition animation into MD (collada won't be accurate but Alembic animation works).

Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,232
    edited November 2019

I'm still new to MD.  I've been meaning to get the tutorial mentioned in this thread and also this one (https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-content-creation-mastery-bundle) but haven't got around to it yet.

I've been playing around with making items all the same.  I note that after a point where the pattern becomes too complex, the program is very slow for me.  I'm not talking about simulation speed, im talking about the 'synchronization' speed and the speed at which the program allows changes to the pattern.  I try to create simple pieces as modular as I can and then combine them, but in some cases where pieces relate and connect to other pieces, it's not always feasible.  Im thinking i need a better CPU.

Currently i was playing around with this project - yes i realise it's bad and like 50% completed - and it's already reaching a point where it's too complex.  Since now i have to combine both trousers and top together using belt/straps so can no longer work on them separately in separate project files.

Captain America Top_1.png
    480 x 640 - 149K
    Capture.PNG
    2238 x 1450 - 630K
    Captain America Top.png
    1080 x 1920 - 3M
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • Yes Barbult will be coming very soon to the Daz store! wink

@peenwolf That's looking impressively detailed! I don't have a solution for you as I've never got to that level of complexity.

peenwolf said:
    barbult said:

Have you considered doing the cloth simulation in Marvelous Designer rather than D-force?  At high particle density, the cloth sim in MD is a lot better looking than D-force, in my opinion.

You can transition to the new poses in MD by either doing a series of 'morph targets' or importing the pose transition animation into MD (collada won't be accurate but Alembic animation works).

No, I haven't tried that. I don't have any clue how to that yet. I will need to look for a tutorial and give it a try. Thanks for the tips.

peenwolf said:
    barbult said:

No, I haven't tried that. I don't have any clue how to that yet. I will need to look for a tutorial and give it a try. Thanks for the tips.

PhilW said:

Marvelous Designer is useful to make clothes for Carrara too - here is an old example of mine, clothing done in MD (probably MD6 I think), Carrara dynamic hair and rendered with Octane plugin for Carrara.

That is a very nice outfit. I like all the trim details on the neck and sleeve. Did you make the belt, too?

peenwolf said:

I'm still new to MD.  I've been meaning to get the tutorial mentioned in this thread and also this one (https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-content-creation-mastery-bundle) but haven't got around to it yet.

I've been playing around with making items all the same.  I note that after a point where the pattern becomes too complex, the program is very slow for me.  I'm not talking about simulation speed, im talking about the 'synchronization' speed and the speed at which the program allows changes to the pattern.  I try to create simple pieces as modular as I can and then combine them, but in some cases where pieces relate and connect to other pieces, it's not always feasible.  Im thinking i need a better CPU.

Currently i was playing around with this project - yes i realise it's bad and like 50% completed - and it's already reaching a point where it's too complex.  Since now i have to combine both trousers and top together using belt/straps so can no longer work on them separately in separate project files.

That's ambitious! I've only done simple things so far. I only see the long synchronization delay if I make pattern changes and simulate after quadrangulating, especially with small particle distance. When it is still in triangles, it seems pretty fast. But, I haven't tried anything with so many pattern pieces.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574
    barbult said:

@Barbult very nice to see someone's work, your outfit looks great! smiley

@DarkEdgeDesign, thanks for your encouragement, I've gone on to convert my tank top to a V-Neck and make it a little looser. I created a circle skirt, based on what I learned in the tutorials about free sewing, to attach the waistband to the skirt waist hole. I saw a promo for a new tutorial on YouTube. Will it be coming to the Daz store soon? I'm eager to learn more from you, even though I haven't mastered everything in the first MD tutorial.

Looks very natural to me, @barbult - keep 'em coming!

- Greg