Carrara Challenge 48 - transcendent or immanent WIP thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Sorry I haven’t been better at keeping up recently.

- EP - Dino is coming along nicely.  Thanks for the screenshots and explanation.  Very helpful, and looks great.

- Bunyip - love the energy ball.  Great origin myth.  I like to think Dragons come from volcanoes.  

- Misty - wow thanks so much.  And too many great entries posted to the main thread to comment on them all.  You’ve been busy!  No limit to number of entries.

- DesertDude - ouch, sending you positive Karma.  Hope everything works out quickly.  

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949
    edited September 2019

Sorry I haven’t been better at keeping up recently.

_haven't neither ,  But the ones ,, seen lookin'  good

Post edited by ed3D on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Thanks Mystarra and Darth Rrara for your nice thoughts. Everything is fine now, especially now that I'm back in action. 
    Cheers

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Darth Rrara  sent you a pm

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2019

When God Awakens

This is an homage to pulp magazines, and a real kitbash.  Most of it is the Daz Generator.  Other parts include Vickies Brain, The Mad Lab, The Organ, Carrara Eiffel Tower, DNA Morphing coat, Mad Dr. for Genesis, Nova Hair, Zac hair, V3, and M5.

Carrara lights and shaders are such fun!  Other Carrara processes include Text, Aura, Clouds, Edge Falloff, and GMIC.

No postwork.

When God Awakens.png
    1000 x 1219 - 2M
    When God Awakens setup.JPG
    1457 x 944 - 253K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

I want to buy the full issue of the comic, UB!   Most excellent.

edited September 2019

Reminder: Entry thread remains open until September 8th (a Sunday) midnight,

Daz Utah time (Mountain Standard Time).

Almost a full week to work on some entries.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited September 2019

_and how is Shaders Not working on Aiko 3  [   tryed any , None seemed to do anything ??

thanx_  _Carrara 7 Pro_

Post edited by ed3D on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited September 2019

oh dear I have been gone so long I couldn't remember my password!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

such wonderful work here - I'll only comment on UB"s - hot damn marvellous !!

here;s soemthing from me sorry for being away so long 

Little Blue Ball - lots of use of tone mapping to get that pesudo illustrated effect 

the unadultered render is below 

manwithsphere.jpg
    800 x 1125 - 244K
    Post edited by Headwax on

Ted Saideth 

RE: Human head - very innovative technique.  Did you hide the jaw/inner mouth by selecting polygons in the vertex room and hiding?  Or did you use an alpha shader?  Either way, very effective.  Excellent

thanks, I think I selected them and then just dragged them down to the feet so they werent in the pic! Brutal but honest :)

Mystarra saideth

glow channel looks uber kewl - 

thank you !

edited September 2019
    ed3D said:

_and how is Shaders Not working on Aiko 3  [   tryed any , None seemed to do anything ??

thanx_  _Carrara 7 Pro_

EvilProducer offered a free Aiko 3 shader for Carrara.  Pretty sure he was using Carrara 7 at the time.  See this thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65997/free-aiko-3-carrara-procedural-skin-textures

and here is his sharecg link.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/82693/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-A3-Procedural-Skin-Shaders

I will take a look at my install of Aiko 3.  I did an Aiko3 and The Freak render earlier this summer but I don't remember if there were issues with the skin.

EDIT: I checked my runtime folders.  I have some Aiko 3 skin shaders for Poser / Daz Studio in the Pose folder, the !Mat Aiko 3 Maps subfolder.  The exclamation mark ! at the front moves it to the top of the subfolder structure.  I did not find a Carrara-optimized Aiko 3 skin shader set in my Carrara shader browser.  Depending on your plan, you can use the Poser version straight, or you might want to tweak.

aiko 3 mat poses.JPG
    1461 x 696 - 159K
    edited September 2019

oh dear I have been gone so long I couldn't remember my password!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

such wonderful work here - I'll only comment on UB"s - hot damn marvellous !!

here;s soemthing from me sorry for being away so long 

Little Blue Ball - lots of use of tone mapping to get that pesudo illustrated effect 

the unadultered render is below 

Welcome back.  Sending you positive karma.  Most of my days over the past 6 months have involved forgetting my password to at least one important site - bank, retirement system, insurance,...

Little ball looks great.  Thanks for including the original image.  Always learn a ton from your entries.

• this is it

immamecny of the eschaton1 cartoon.png
    2000 x 1500 - 5M

EvilProducer offered a free Aiko 3 shader for Carrara.  Pretty sure he was using Carrara 7 at the time.  See this thread.

EDIT: I checked my runtime folders.  I have some Aiko 3 skin shaders for Poser / Daz Studio in the Pose folder, the !Mat Aiko 3 Maps subfolder.  The exclamation mark ! at the front moves it to the top of the subfolder structure.  I did not find a Carrara-optimized Aiko 3 skin shader set in my Carrara shader browser.  Depending on your plan, you can use the Poser version straight, or you might want to tweak.

_Alright Thanks _ any of the Others , Not  ones for Aiko 3 _and Editing didn't seem to do anything  neither   _kind of Trying to be Unusual  _

• Thanks for the nice comments, Diomede and HW.

HW, good to see you back!

• ed3D said:

thanx_  _Carrara 7 Pro_

I don't have an answer, as A3 works great on my system.  Is there some reason that you haven't moved to Carrara 8.5?  It is so cheap these days.

edited September 2019
    ed3D said:

thanx_  _Carrara 7 Pro_

I don't have an answer, as A3 works great on my system.  Is there some reason that you haven't moved to Carrara 8.5?  It is so cheap these days.

_Alright Thanks  _but , That Just Ain't the trouble =

trying  to use the Other Shaders Not for Aiko 3_

Post edited by ed3D on
  • OK, but you pointed out that you are using Carrara 7 Pro, as if it might be relevant.  I have no way to know, as I am using 8.5.

When you say "other shaders," are you talking about other skin shaders, or just any shader in general?  If you mean skin shaders, A3 UV maps are slightly different from V4 (for example), but you should still be able to see a clear difference when you apply a different one..

OK, but you pointed out that you are using Carrara 7 Pro, as if it might be relevant.  I have no way to know, as I am using 8.5.

When you say "other shaders," are you talking about other skin shaders, or just any shader in general?  If you mean skin shaders, A3 UV maps are slightly different from V4 (for example), but you should still be able to see a clear difference when you apply a different one..

sorry about Not being more concise

_Well  Thanks     _besides "Skin Shaders"   any shader in general_

_and Carrara 7 Pro_ just  in case does matter in some way or another

ed3D said:

_Like this      _ done with Bryce 7

V4ROK 1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 494K

this is it

Great entry.  Love what you have done with the border.  Funny message.  

edited September 2019
    ed3D said:
    ed3D said:

_Like this      _ done with Bryce 7

Not sure of the exact problem so I hope you don't mind if I go to the beginning if I was going to do a very quick image like the one posted. Will repeat some things you know but may be useful to others. In general, shaders can be adjusted in the texture room, which is accessed by clicking paintbrush icon in the upper right corner of the assembly room.  Here, I started by inserting an infinite plane, selecting it in the lower right instances box, and clicking the upper right paintbrush icon to access the texture room.  The default infinite plane only has one shader domain (the whole thing) so the shader room displays just one shader in its list on the right hand side.  The individual shader channels appear on the left side, in this case the default gray.  For the infinite plane, I changed the gray color to a mixture of green gradients, added spots to the bump channel, and reduced the highlight, shininess, etc. 

To adjust the shader of a rigged figure such as Aiko 3, Victoria 4, or Genesis, select the "model" or "actor" level of the figure in the lower right instances box.  This gives you access to the figure mesh if you wish to enter the modeling room (wrench) or texture room (paintbrush).  I inserted a default Victoria 4.  I selected the "model" level and entered the texture room.  Unlike the infinite plane, Victoria 4 has many shader domains (torso, face, etc).  A long list appears along the right side. For each shader domain listed along the right, there is a channel list (diffuse color, highlight, bump, etc) that appears on the left when selected.  The default has an awful blue tint multiplied to the skin maps.  For this example, I selected the "SkinHip" shader domain.  Rather than edit each channel individually, I clicked the "wizard" icon to access the presets in my shader browser.  I believe the "rocks and stones" set comes with the carrara 7 native content files.  I chose granite from the rocks and stone presets.  I then clicked and dragged the granite to each of the other channels.  I believe there is a plugin that can reduce that repetition but I don't bother.  Once you have a complete set of shaders for the domains of a figure, you can click the multicolored globe and drag to your shader browser to save a global shader for future use.  Then you need only click and drag from your browser once to the globe to apply all the different shaders to all of the figure's shading domains.

For the lighting, I deleted the default distant light and inserted a distant sunlight.  The sunlight icon in C7 looks the same as the default distant light.  The sunlight icon in C8.5 has a sun attached to the distant light icon.  Don't worry, sunlight works the same in C7.1 and C8.5.  I then went to the ATMOSPHERE tab in the right side panel and chose "realistic sky."  This links the sunlight icon in my scene to the sun in the realistic sky editor.  I chose a realistic sky preset then rotated the sun icon to roughy match yours.  I've posted the realistic sky menu so that you can see that you can adjust haze, intensity, sky color, clouds, etc.  You can select the sunlight icon and use the rotate tools to change the camera angle.

!!! - Make sure to activate "sky light" for your realistic sky in the render room.  There is a check box for sky lighting in the global illumination section of the rendering tab.

!!!!!! - In general, if you use the "sky light" make sure to check the "light through transparency" box or you will get black eye syndrome.  Wouldn't matter for an all granite figure.

Here are two test renders with different realistic sky presets.

aa10 test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 28K
    aa11 test 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 36K
    aa01 new scene with v4 realistic sky settings and distant sun your icon look different.JPG
    1586 x 838 - 190K
    aa02 infinite plane shader.JPG
    1574 x 793 - 145K
    aa04 default shader has awful blue multiply in diffuse and other channels should be tweaked.JPG
    1592 x 815 - 156K
    aa05 select channel and use wizard to bring up shader browser i believe granite is in rocks and stones.JPG
    1586 x 818 - 202K
    aa06 see granite is now in skn hip.JPG
    1594 x 809 - 165K
    aa07 click and drag or copy paste or plugin to copy granite to other channels.JPG
    1587 x 809 - 164K
    aa09 make sure sky light checked in rendr room.JPG
    1594 x 846 - 134K
    edited September 2019

Darth Rrara

thanks very much   _Good Explanation_

Post edited by ed3D on

Reminder - Entry Thread Closes Sunday Midnight Daz Utah Time

edited September 2019

One more entry from me.  Our local low-budget TV Channel is showing a 1950s version of The Werewolf.  Had to put together a render.  I rendered out the beauty pass, the shadow pass, the coverage pass, background pass, and a couple GMIC filters for black and white.  Simple scene made up of a terrain, a moon prop that I made for a previous challenge, and the Garou figure that came with my version of Poser.  This is what I ended up with.

Hoping the curse of being a wolfman counts as immanent.

wolfman setup.JPG
    1596 x 801 - 142K
    wolfman entry.jpg
    1339 x 1600 - 356K
  • Very well done!

edited September 2019

Thanks for the nice comment, UB.  Sometimes the best inspiration is the worst program on TV.  laugh

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049944/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

aaaaaaaaa.JPG
    511 x 319 - 46K
    edited September 2019

Very well done!

+yeah,  pretty cool     _  and nice Moon_

Post edited by ed3D on

Still a little time to get those entries in.

Thanks for the nice comment, ed3D.  

Although Carrara's realstic sky editor comes with a moon, it is relatively easy to make a moon prop for more convenient use.  I made the moon in the werewolf image for Challenge 32.  It is a simple flat vertex disc with edges that fold slightly back.  The UVMap is a simple circle. 

I found a free NASA moon pic for the texture.  I fit the moon pic to my UVMap.  I then put my moon image in the color channel and the glow channel.  The effects tab for the object can also be used to adjust the aura.