Kitbash 3d

Can their models be imported into DAZ? Has anyone done so?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

Don’t think anyone can afford them to find out laugh

• Yeah, they are pricey. Targeting professional studios?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

As long as you can export them as OBJs then they can be imported into DS. Depending on how /if they are UV mapped, you will probably have to reapply textures/shaders once in DS.

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

There’s a free kit available at the moment. Works great with blender. In daz you have to „reshade“ the obj. 

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 467

You should be able to import the OBJ and FBX version into DS as there are import options for those file types.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Daz has an fbx import anomaly that causes all imported items to load on top of each other. And with KB3D sets consisting of 30 or more grouped structures, I found this unworkable. Consequently, I convert to fbx using Carrara, and then save the files in Carrara in Daz format. Then I load the parts (they generally come divided into three sections) into Daz, Uber convert them to Iray, and save them. Sometimes the textures need to be replaced, but KB3D fills a niche that needed to be filled. If you can be bothered to save individual buildings and make thumbnails, your life can be even more beautiful.

• CarlCGCarlCG Posts: 114

I imported and used them in Daz, using the obj file of the ‘Cyberpunk Kit’. It imports all the buildings as one OBJ that you have to separate and apply textures/materials manually. You can use the included textures and just apply all of them to the correct channels for each building and/or re-materialize them with new ones yourself. Here’s a few examples of where I used them:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/830371/

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/831781/

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/833251/

On the 2nd two images, I did a lot of modeling myself, and mixed it with the buildings from the Kitbash3D kit. I modeled some of the buildings from scratch and also modeled more parts onto some of the Kitbash3D architecture. And it’s also a mix of the included textures, and some I made for the buildings myself.

Because the OBJ comes as one single file, there’s several ways to separate all the buildings and save them each as individual files, which is something you have to do to use the kit. (You won’t want to use them the way they come assembled together in the 1 obj file).

If you need to know the easiest way I found within Daz to separate the buildings, let me know and i’ll post the steps.

If you know the basics of any modeling program, like even hexagon, you can use that to separate and export the individual files. But there’s a simple way I figured out to also do it just within Daz.

if you convert prop rigging to figure you can create child bones and select and fill the various  geometry with the weight for those bones,

in general with obj's all in one, I have not got this set

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

I imported and used them in Daz, using the obj file of the ‘Cyberpunk Kit’. It imports all the buildings as one OBJ that you have to separate and apply textures/materials manually. You can use the included textures and just apply all of them to the correct channels for each building and/or re-materialize them with new ones yourself. Here’s a few examples of where I used them:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/830371/

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/831781/

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/833251/

On the 2nd two images, I did a lot of modeling myself, and mixed it with the buildings from the Kitbash3D kit. I modeled some of the buildings from scratch and also modeled more parts onto some of the Kitbash3D architecture. And it’s also a mix of the included textures, and some I made for the buildings myself.

Because the OBJ comes as one single file, there’s several ways to separate all the buildings and save them each as individual files, which is something you have to do to use the kit. (You won’t want to use them the way they come assembled together in the 1 obj file).

If you need to know the easiest way I found within Daz to separate the buildings, let me know and i’ll post the steps.

If you know the basics of any modeling program, like even hexagon, you can use that to separate and export the individual files. But there’s a simple way I figured out to also do it just within Daz.

Great work using their kits in DS! I'm interested in knowing the steps you used to separate the buildings within Daz Studio, if you don't mind. Thanks!

@dawnblade

Sure, I already wrote up the steps for someone else so I'll just copy/paste them here:

After you load the big OBJ file, position your view from above (top) and pretty far away, you want a view that leaves open space around each of the individual buildings (or you could just readjust your view after each step, as long as you create open space around each building, 1 at a time).

With the geometry editor tool, choose [selection mode] and select [lasso tool].

Draw a circle around 1 building which will select all the polygons of that building:  https://imgur.com/TB6mNw6

Select [geometry visibility] then select [Hide Un-selected Polygons] :  https://imgur.com/Ve705M7

Now you will only have that 1 building visible and you can export it as a new separate OBJ file. On export just choose the option for DAZ and make sure you have [collect maps] or [original maps] selected, either option should work to keep the same texture zones:  https://imgur.com/UBBANMP

Now choose [geometry visibility] > [show all polygons] which will bring all the buildings back into view. Then you can do the same steps for the next building, and so on, until you’ve exported all of them separately.

The only minor issue is the when you load them back into daz, they might be sideways… you just have to rotate them exactly 90 degrees to get them upright again. There’s probably an option that needs to be selected when exporting or importing that would change that, but it’s simple enough just to rotate it 90deg so that’s how I did it.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Thank you so much, @testingtesterson35!

• TomDowdTomDowd Posts: 197

@dawnblade

Sure, I already wrote up the steps for someone else so I'll just copy/paste them here:

After you load the big OBJ file, position your view from above (top) and pretty far away, you want a view that leaves open space around each of the individual buildings (or you could just readjust your view after each step, as long as you create open space around each building, 1 at a time).

With the geometry editor tool, choose [selection mode] and select [lasso tool].

Draw a circle around 1 building which will select all the polygons of that building:  https://imgur.com/TB6mNw6

Select [geometry visibility] then select [Hide Un-selected Polygons] :  https://imgur.com/Ve705M7

Now you will only have that 1 building visible and you can export it as a new separate OBJ file. On export just choose the option for DAZ and make sure you have [collect maps] or [original maps] selected, either option should work to keep the same texture zones:  https://imgur.com/UBBANMP

Now choose [geometry visibility] > [show all polygons] which will bring all the buildings back into view. Then you can do the same steps for the next building, and so on, until you’ve exported all of them separately.

The only minor issue is the when you load them back into daz, they might be sideways… you just have to rotate them exactly 90 degrees to get them upright again. There’s probably an option that needs to be selected when exporting or importing that would change that, but it’s simple enough just to rotate it 90deg so that’s how I did it.

Aaaaah! I never thought that selecting/hiding that way would allow for exporting that way. This will save me much much work - thanks!

edited October 2019

they have an Aristocrasy mini bundle that looks awesome

too bad I am broke, it's actually affordable

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited October 2019

If you're buying a Kitbash3D Kit... At checkout USE COUPON CODE:  Studentbasher

Post edited by CarlCG on

And KK has now likely  missed the sale if he wanted his manor house anyway 

if I actually had money I would have bought that bundle myself 

If you're buying a Kitbash3D Kit... At checkout USE COUPON CODE:  Studentbasher

You'll get like 30%-40% off if that coupon is still working. I'm not sure if it still is, I used it a while ago.

Here's a render I did with the "Brutalist" kit I bought from kitbash3D:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/859301/

And here too used some of that Brutalist Kit architecture from kitbash3d, but I redid the textures myself:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/867176/

• Hey folks... just a thought about converting the Kitbash3D kits. You can download in Blender format and open in blender. Then Export as DAE, then import to DAZ. The Textures are 3DL though but the buildings are properly split up with some textures in correctly. I've still not figured a way to get all the texture in without manually having to add over 3 hours or more.

a broken mobebius is a strip cheeky

• TomDowdTomDowd Posts: 197

(Studentbasher still works...)

TD

• MoonCraft3DMoonCraft3D Posts: 379
    edited October 2020

I use them all the time.

Step 1 - buy the kit you want
    Step 2 - import file into Blender (free to download) and save out of it what you want. The MAJOR problem with Kitbash is all the items in the kit are just in 1 giant blob .obj file that has to be taken apart. I prefer saving them as a .obj so that they can be used with other 3d programs in the future.
    Step 3 - Import the obj you liked into Daz (here is how you import obj and fbx files into Daz https://mooncraftrp.com/index.php/2020/04/19/using-sketchfab-models-in-daz3d-tutorial/ )

Post edited by MoonCraft3D on
  • thd777thd777 Posts: 931
    edited November 2020

@brokenmoebius  I use Code66's wonderful MultiMap Loader script for that pupose. It plugs all the maps into the right places in a manner of seconds once you have set it up right.  Best investment I have made in some time.

Ciao

TD

Here is the link: https://www.daz3d.com/multi-map-loader

Kitbash 2.png
    595 x 980 - 745K
    Kitbash 1.png
    1400 x 980 - 2M
    Post edited by thd777 on
  • thd777 said:

@brokenmoebius  I use Code66's wonderful MultiMap Loader script for that pupose. It plugs all the maps into the right places in a manner of seconds once you have set it up right.  Best investment I have made in some time.

Ciao

TD

Here is the link: https://www.daz3d.com/multi-map-loader

Thank you, thd777 I'll have a look at it very soon :)

• pighelmetpighelmet Posts: 16

thd777 said:

I use Code66's wonderful MultiMap Loader script for that pupose. It plugs all the maps into the right places in a manner of seconds once you have set it up right.

@thd777: I own several Kitbash kits (including NeoCity, which it looks like you also have). I purchased @Code66's MultiMap Loader to aid in loading textures onto the model, but I think I'm falling down somewhere on the naming conventions. I get to the second and thrid steps of the process and MML can't seem to locate the surfaces to which I want to apply the materials. (I've attached screenshots that I hope will aid with clarity.) This would be a fantastic time-saver. Can you go step-by-step through renaming the Kitbash textures and then applying them to the proper surfaces in the NeoCity kit? I think once I see it work, I'll be able to replicate with other kits. Thank you, and anyone, for any help!

MultiMapLoader02.JPG
    1918 x 1036 - 255K
    MultiMapLoader03.JPG
    1920 x 1038 - 248K
    MultiMapLoader04.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 221K

Hello @pighelmet

Sure, I will try to help. The issue is that the default names of the textures contain too many characters that are used as separator in the script (underscore). I work around that by using a multi-rename utility to set a simpler naming for the textures with only one dash (-) as separator. Then it becomes easy to use Code66's script. There are probably other ways, but I will put together a quick walk-through of what I do later today and post it here.

Ciao

TD

edited May 2021

Ok, here we go. I have just purchased the new Kitbash Valhalla set, so, I will use one of those models as an example.

I usually get the Blender version and then load the .blend file and export a .obj for use in DAZ Studio. It loads with textures into DS, but it has only the diffuse texture in the right place.

To use the Multi Map Loader one needs a naming scheme for the textures that can be unambiguously parsed by the script. By default the textures are named like this: KB3D_VHL_Antler_roughness The first part identifies the surface, the last bit the property. The problem is that there are three _ underscores as separators and they are part of the surface name if you check in DS. I find it easiest to simply rename the files and replace the last underscore with a unique field separator, in my case I chose a dash -. Now, renaming hundreds of files would be pretty awful by hand, but fortunately, there is help. I use a free utility called Bulk Rename Utility to accomplish that in a few seconds (see screenshot). I do it basically in three steps first removing the underscores in the surface name, then replacing the last underscore with a dash and finally putting the underscores back in so that it matches the surface name. Sounds complicated but is done 30 seconds with the utility once you have done it a couple of times. Bulk rename utility is super powerful, but here we only use the "Replace" box that is highlighted in the screenshot. This only needs to be done once for each kit. For simplicity and to maintain the originals, I copy the texture folder first.

Now that is done and we can use the script. Select the model and start the script.

In the script, set the directory where your renamed files are located.

The first time you do this, you need to set your naming scheme in the "Filename Format" Mine is simply Mat zone Separator Texture type with the separator set as a dash.

Now select the model in the left column, hit "load Texture sets" and then select all texture sets.

Switch to the Apply Maps tab, select all zones and hit "Apply Maps" and you are done. It takes me a couple of minutes for each model. Tweaking the materials for best results will of course take much longer, But it is worth it.

Ready for a test render.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask follow up questions if needed.

Ciao

TD

2021-05-06_16-18-37.png
    3840 x 2100 - 3M
    2021-05-06_16-19-12.png
    1202 x 963 - 266K
    2021-05-06_16-22-12.png
    1202 x 963 - 221K
    2021-05-06_16-23-10.png
    1202 x 963 - 363K
    2021-05-06_16-23-55.png
    3840 x 2100 - 4M
    Post edited by thd777 on

This is fantastic! So detailed. I will try later today with the Spaceships kit and see what results. I'm optimistic, given your excellent help.

edited May 2021

Just noticed that I forgot the screenshot of the Bulk rename Utility.

. Oh, and here are some examples of the Kitbash3D Moonbase assets in a DS Render after tweaking.

Ciao

TD

Base 1.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    Base 5.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
    2021-05-06_17-22-04.png
    2400 x 1565 - 284K
    Post edited by thd777 on

Worked like a charm! Thank you for the specificity of your instructions, and for the additional material. I've attached a JPG of the NeoCities kit with the materials in place, which as you said took only a few minutes, once I understood the naming conventions. You and MML/Code66 saved me a ton of work. The Viking kit and the moonbase look great. At 50%, I will probably have to get Valhalla as well. Once again, thanks.

MMLresults.JPG
    941 x 980 - 129K

Awesome. Good to hear that it worked!

Ciao

TD

• MartyrdogMartyrdog Posts: 16

I'm going to have to bookmark this page, especifically for that Valhalla one.. I've yet to manage to get the funds together to purchase that (or any from Kitbash) but they have a lot of products that I'm interested in, especially Valhalla. I'm really glad to see someone post something to do with Kitbash 3d on here as I couldn't get my head around how to do even do so. For than thd777, thank you.. thank you, thank you, thank you lol