Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Yes, there is no real contrast between her feet and the floor.

Too bad I lost the old scenes because they have better lighting than my new scenes when the old drive went bad. I didn't have a chance to even export the lights as a set. I'll try to adjust the lights some more in Daz Studio until I can buy some fancy light sets.

Edit: I don't think the old light presets that I made would have helped me much because they were designed for outdoor scenes.

I just thought of something: I should create the same scene in Poser 9 and then use the default lighting. I forgot I had poser. I guess I was too busy playing with Josie 6 in Daz Studio that I forgot about Poser 9. lol

Bye

Yeah, I suppose you could. If you have DSON you might still be able to use Josie. Been so long since I used Poser now. I think I kept my old runtime, settings and scenes for PP2012 in case I found I didn't like DS after all and wanted to switch back. I liked DS so much that I never gave Poser a second thought!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Err that is the product promo image, forgot to write that, not my render. I've tried using similar image, but still, it looks fake as it is or worse maybe, wonder if there any cityscape backdrop out there, I can't find it on DAZ shop.

Oh, I see, what was the product? I might pick that up myself. In DS you can use any pic as a backdrop, so you could run a search on Google Images for a cityscape.

CHEERS!

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

I put this together more or less as a character concept test.

I think i want something for her head/face area but not a full on helmet that would just look weird.

mech-girl-3G-jpg.jpg
    1414 x 1999 - 597K
    edited December 1969

I think she looks just fine as is. Superb render!

CHEERS!

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited November 2013

ang_deedee, I'm not sure if you are looking for a complete city set or just a simple background image. but the items in Stonemason's Store is on sale for 50%. He sells Urban Sprawl. You can look at his store for some cityscapes.

Rogerbee, I just remembered that I can use Dream Home's lights in Poser. I'll try creating a scene in Poser soon. :D

Edit: one of these days I will buy advanced ambient lighting so that I don't need to use three distant lights and some spotlights to light an indoor scene in Daz Studio 4.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited November 2013

Urban sprawl is HUGE!! I think a simple JPEG would work better.

I think I used that Dream Home set only once that I can remember it was really nice and came bundled with the program.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited November 2013

I just noticed that Urban Sprawl

...comes fully textured with 73 texture maps ranging in size from 128x128 to 1024x1024.
    wow, that is huge set.

edited for clarity. I also deleted the extra period.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Urban sprawl is HUGE!! I think a simple JPEG would work better.

I think I used that Dream Home set only once that I can remember it was really nice and came bundled with the program.

CHEERS!

...yes I could barely render a scene with it in 3Advanced on my old system and just shelved using it in 4.0 though the nice thing is it is set up so you can use separate buildings and props.
  • Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited November 2013

ang_deedee, I'm not sure if you are looking for a complete city set or just a simple background image. but the items in Stonemason's Store is on sale for 50%. He sells Urban Sprawl. You can look at his store for some cityscapes.

Rogerbee, I just remembered that I can use Dream Home's lights in Poser. I'll try creating a scene in Poser soon. :D

Edit: one of these days I will buy advanced ambient lighting so that I don't need to use three distant lights and some spotlights to light an indoor scene in Daz Studio 4.

Wow, this is what I was looking for, a complete city set, lol, thank you starion ^^

Rogerbee said:

Oh, I see, what was the product? I might pick that up myself. In DS you can use any pic as a backdrop, so you could run a search on Google Images for a cityscape.

CHEERS!

It's Truform's product, he is such a great designer hmm, you could type Truform at Rsity I fear I can't give external link to the another shop here can I ? You won't be dissapointed with his product especially for living scene.

*Edit : Oh, crap, you both are right, Urban Sprawl is huge, my PC would explode only using that for backdrop, lol
    I'll just use Roberbee's suggestion, use image for manipulating backdrop.

I put this together more or less as a character concept test.

I think i want something for her head/face area but not a full on helmet that would just look weird.

Great render, love the effects ^^

...yes I could barely render a scene with it in 3Advanced on my old system and just shelved using it in 4.0 though the nice thing is it is set up so you can use separate buildings and props.

I've been struglling render only a figure, I think my pc won't be able to handle it too

Post edited by Yonas Ang on
    edited December 1969

Yep, Urban Sprawl is a biggie,

I doubt my laptop could handle it without the processor going into meltdown, it doesn't like running hot. I'll have to have a look at Truform's store sometime.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Here is my raw render with for darker skin with SSS, the SSS setting is far way harder for darker skin. Also testing AoA SSS this time, with 3 AAL and 1 spot light. Is she look somehow like plastic doll ?

131118.png
    800 x 1000 - 798K
    edited December 1969

Looks fine to me, though I haven't really used those shaders much.

CHEERS!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

I find most 3D characters in action look like dolls I am cool with that speaking of...

344.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 564K
    edited November 2013

Here is my raw render with for darker skin with SSS, the SSS setting is far way harder for darker skin. Also testing AoA SSS this time, with 3 AAL and 1 spot light. Is she look somehow like plastic doll ?

I want some platform high heels. :D The only issue is that I am broke from spending a ton of money on Genesis 1 and 2 last month. lol

The skin looks fine. Her looks better than half of the generation 3 skins that I own. I have to manually adjust the materials or add the elite human surface shader to characters in Daz Studio for some generation 3 skins to look good. Or, I can just load them in Poser 9. Loading them in poser 9 is the easiest route.

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    I find most 3D characters in action look like dolls I am cool with that speaking of...

Nice, if a bit dark, I take it you can add lights in Reality.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

I want some platform high heels. :D The only issue is that I am broke from spending a ton of money on Genesis 1 and 2 last month. lol

The skin looks fine. Her looks better than half of the generation 3 skins that I own. I have to manually adjust the materials or add the elite human surface shader to characters in Daz Studio for some generation 3 skins to look good. Or, I can just load them in Poser 9. Loading them in poser 9 is the easiest route.

For Poser 9 you want to get EZSkin, you get some brilliant results with that.

CHEERS!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:

CHEERS!

Its meant to be lit like that I also get comments like this on D/A. Does no one notice darker scenes in TV / Movies...

edited November 2013

I have the opposite problem: my scenes are too bright. haha. I tried to make a sunset from scratch.

Purple_sky_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 86K
    edited November 2013

Rogerbee said:

Looks fine to me, though I haven't really used those shaders much.

CHEERS!

Thank you, hmm in my opinion, AoA SSS have better control than any other SSS setting for me.

Bobvan said:

Now I'm interested to make her all the way to toon, way less realistic.

I heard Genesis have trouble with finding high heels and more mature figure, is that true ? From what I've look they are pointing toward more like toon or comic style.

Its meant to be lit like that I also get comments like this on D/A. Does no one notice darker scenes in TV / Movies...

Most people in DA, would say that, because their eyes already adjusted to glamour photography lighting, that category dominating 3D render in DA.

edited November 2013

Edit: sorry, ang_deedee, I misread your post. :red: The Daz Store has about five high heels for Genesis. But Genesis can wear shoes for Victoria 4. Some outfits also have high heels.

the only issues that I have with high heels is that sometimes I see poke-through. I can fix the poke through buy using the mesh smoothing utility or poke-away.

Here is an example of bow heels on Genesis Kid:

Genesis_child_shoes.jpg
    335 x 434 - 38K
    edited November 2013

Edit: sorry, ang_deedee, I misread your post. :red: The Daz Store has about five high heels for Genesis. But Genesis can wear shoes for Victoria 4. Some outfits also have high heels.

the only issues that I have with high heels is that sometimes I see poke-through. I can fix the poke through buy using the mesh smoothing utility or poke-away.

Here is an example of bow heels on Genesis Kid:

Nah, it's okay, happens to me from time to time ^^. We are only human. Oh btw, I have suggestion, you could just hide (don't show in render and not visible) for the feet, so you don't have to do all that funky stuff, but that only apply to boots and shoes, not open up heels.

edited November 2013

Oh yes, I forgot that I could hide her feet. I usually don't worry too much about feet because I hardly put shoes on my characters. Hey, I hardly put stockings on the ladies.

There is no poke-through when Genesis is the size of an adult. I should try putting high heeled shoes on Julie to see what happens.

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:

CHEERS!

I guess they don't, if you meant it to be that way then so be it.

CHEERS!

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:

CHEERS!

CHEERS!

There is a trick to what you see in movies and TV productions. It is almost never uniformly dark, but instead lighting is used to suggest the environmental conditions and highlight the subject. I would simply suggest reading a book on the art of lighting for visual storytelling. Older black and white movies are good to study, too. They learned these tricks before color film was widely available. If your scene looks good in black and white (desaturate it in an image editor), chances are it will work in color too. It's also possible that your monitor is too bright, making your renders look fine to you but dark to other people on their monitors.

edited December 1969

I've got a laptop with an LED screen, so that's fine.

I guess I'm used to renders being all nicely lit that's all.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Genesis 2 male. I need to adjust the intensity of the spotlight. What else is new? lol I also need the adjust his feet and legs. Posing figures on a hill is tricky.

This scene uses about 550 MB of memory. I can add another figure in Daz Studio 4 before 3Delight gives a memory error.

edit: sorry for the small size. I'll upload a larger version after I fix the spotlight and adjust his legs.

Genesis_2_male.jpg
    640 x 394 - 91K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:

CHEERS!

CHEERS!

There is a trick to what you see in movies and TV productions. It is almost never uniformly dark, but instead lighting is used to suggest the environmental conditions and highlight the subject. I would simply suggest reading a book on the art of lighting for visual storytelling. Older black and white movies are good to study, too. They learned these tricks before color film was widely available. If your scene looks good in black and white (desaturate it in an image editor), chances are it will work in color too. It's also possible that your monitor is too bright, making your renders look fine to you but dark to other people on their monitors.
    ...a lot of the time (particularly with B & W) they would just shoot outdoor scenes in the daylight with a dark filter.

edited November 2013

Genesis 2 male. I need to adjust the intensity of the spotlight. What else is new? lol I also need the adjust his feet and legs. Posing figures on a hill is tricky.

This scene uses about 550 MB of memory. I can add another figure in Daz Studio 4 before 3Delight gives a memory error.

edit: sorry for the small size. I'll upload a larger version after I fix the spotlight and adjust his legs.

Well, there's not much new you can do to either G2M or M6 till they release the morphs for them! There's been people buying the bundles and wondering why the character packs won't work. The morphs aren't part of any bundle.

CHEERS!

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...a lot of the time (particularly with B & W) they would just shoot outdoor scenes in the daylight with a dark filter.

I know what you're saying, like in some old Westerns I remember. I was thinking more of film noir. Do an image search in your favorite search engine to see what I mean by that. Yes, the environments are often dark, suggesting night time. But there is also a lot of contrast in the scene highlighting the characters either in light or by means of silhouette.

This discussion has been closed.