Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

Comments

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

From what I understand (not really a lot), pretty much anything can be coded and tailor-made? It's the work-hours and costs going into something like that which just make it a non-option for most companies. (Source: Anne studied information systems, a looooong time ago. It's really weird to think about now.)

• TigerAnne said:

From what I understand (not really a lot), pretty much anything can be coded and tailor-made? It's the work-hours and costs going into something like that which just make it a non-option for most companies. (Source: Anne studied information systems, a looooong time ago. It's really weird to think about now.)

10000% this.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    RAMWolff said:

Can't DAZ find one package that covers all the areas? 

I'd be willing to bet my mortgage there isn't just one solution that would meet all of those very specific needs. 

Perhaps a custom solution, made in-house by programmers who know what they're doing?

Dana

OK.  The forum software is different from the store software.  So, why does the forum software log me out when I even as much as "window shop" in the store?  In a different tab in the browser!  If they're different software, they shouldn't be pokign around in each other's operations!  That in itself is more of a security risk!  And telling me that it's done for security is nonsense.  How is letting someone make a purchase in my account, then logging me out of the forums, remotely a secure thing?  I'm reminded of something about barn doors and horses!

Dana

DanaTA said:
    RAMWolff said:

I'd be willing to bet my mortgage there isn't just one solution that would meet all of those very specific needs. 

Perhaps a custom solution, made in-house by programmers who know what they're doing?

Dana

You mean getting some already-employed Daz staffers to scratch-build an entirely new software platform? It would be next to impossible to pull off. Maybe not even "next to," because it would exponentially increase their workload. It can't be done without hiring extra manpower, and it's going to be a very expensive undertaking. That money would have to come from store revenue, which we as customers would have to pay for, and no. 

• DanaTA said:
    RAMWolff said:

Dana

I wish business was that simple.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    edited August 2019
    DanaTA said:
    RAMWolff said:

Yes, because it's so easy to code a whole e-commerce platform, gallery system and forum software from scratch and have it work perfectly...

Post edited by Leana on
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2019

DanaTA said:

Dana

Unless my brain has gone wonkier than usual I recall that in the old days (I'm talking two forum softwares ago, maybe more ? Possibly double-digits-years ago ?)  the website, store and forums were all bespoke, in-house software. But the powers that beed* decided that that had to change - probably for fiscal, asset-type reasons.

I can't imagine any going back.

*Past tense of "powers that be", because I don' t think that those particular powers do much "being" anymore

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Wasn't that the custom build that @Chohole refers to as being made with string and chewing gum?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2019
    DanaTA said:

OK.  The forum software is different from the store software.  So, why does the forum software log me out when I even as much as "window shop" in the store?  In a different tab in the browser!  If they're different software, they shouldn't be pokign around in each other's operations!  That in itself is more of a security risk!  And telling me that it's done for security is nonsense.  How is letting someone make a purchase in my account, then logging me out of the forums, remotely a secure thing?  I'm reminded of something about barn doors and horses!

Dana

Simple solution.   Log out of both sides of the site,  then clear cache, and maybe even Daz cookies and other things held in history. Give the software the best chance going, hopefully you will only need to do it once.  Go to the front page and log in there, click to stay logged in.    From the front page the two different log-ins are more reliably synchronised.  so mostly you don't even see the log out/log in bit happening.  I have been logged in now for over a week,   and I close my computer down overnight everyday  due to the vagaries of the weather up here.

BTW   I use the term "more reliably" because someone will come along and say they have done it my way and still keep getting logged out.  There's always one who does. 

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2019
    Chohole said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Simple solution.   Log out of both sides of the site,  then clear cache, and maybe even Daz cookies and other things held in history. Give the software the best chance going, hopefully you will only need to do it once.  Go to the front page and log in there, click to stay logged in.    From the front page the two different log-ins are more reliably synchronised.  so mostly you don't even see the log out/log in bit happening.  I have been logged in now for over a week,   and I close my computer down overnight everyday  due to the vagaries of the weather up here.

BTW   I use the term "more reliably" because someone will come along and say they have done it my way and still keep getting logged out.  There's always one who does. 

And if there's one who does, you can be sure there are many more who have the same experience.  It's well known that a great majority of customers don't post very much in the forums, some just lurk, some don't even browse.  And in fact, some have said that they tried it your way and still had issues.

Stay logged in...a security risk in itself.  Especially if you log in with a smartphone that travels with you.  Lose it or it gets stolen, that's that.  And I get the impression that a lot of folks use their phones or tablets to browse the forums.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
    TigerAnne said:
    DanaTA said:
    RAMWolff said:

Dana

You mean getting some already-employed Daz staffers to scratch-build an entirely new software platform? It would be next to impossible to pull off. Maybe not even "next to," because it would exponentially increase their workload. It can't be done without hiring extra manpower, and it's going to be a very expensive undertaking. That money would have to come from store revenue, which we as customers would have to pay for, and no. 

Do you think this software was inexpensive?  I guarantee it was not.  There are countless teams, companies, who do custom software.  Many have proven track records with going concerns as customers.  More expensive than these canned softwares?  Doubt it, especially if shopping around and taking bids.  And the amount of customization they did have completed cost even more.  I'm sure they said, back then, that they had some cusotmization done by the company it was purchased from.

But I'll leave this discussion to those who "know better".  I won't be a bother anymore.

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    Chohole said:

Yes,  because the galleries are on the magento side all images are stored there.

...but this is even evident when people attach images to a forum post (even photos).

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Chohole said:
    RAMWolff said:

I hate to say this but that's just a convoluted mess.  You have Cloudfare (which is always lagging), you have Magneto and you have what ever the store is built on and then what the forums are built on and then the Help pages, whatever those are built on .  What a frigging mess.  Can't DAZ find one package that covers all the areas? 

Only the forums are non Magento.  If you remember when we first changed form the old old forum and store,  the one stuck together with duct tape, chewing gum and string, we had a magento style forum and no one had a good word to say about it.  So a search was made,  a different store software was found  and the change was made with no loss of posts, or post counts. All you lost was little green boxes.

Ah so that is why when you browse older threads like from 2012, nested quotes will often break up! 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

So Wendy and I are chatting on Fb right now... seems we have the same issue.  All of a sudden my email notifications are being put in the SPAM folder in GMail.  I've tried adding the forum address to my address book and keep selecting all and hitting the "Not Spam" button to no avail.  

Anyone else having this issue?  At first I thought it was my own doing but Wendy said it started happening to her last week, same time it started affecting me as well!  

edited August 2019

Never mind

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    RAMWolff said:

So Wendy and I are chatting on Fb right now... seems we have the same issue.  All of a sudden my email notifications are being put in the SPAM folder in GMail.  I've tried adding the forum address to my address book and keep selecting all and hitting the "Not Spam" button to no avail.  

Anyone else having this issue?  At first I thought it was my own doing but Wendy said it started happening to her last week, same time it started affecting me as well!  

Not exactly this, but I found a DAZ order confirmation in the gmail spam folder a few days ago. 

I really hope this can be resolved.  It's quite annoying!  

• AtiAti Posts: 9,079
    RAMWolff said:

I really hope this can be resolved.  It's quite annoying!  

Set up a filter for those messages, that will override the spam folder. Click the vertical "..." on the message, choose "Filter messages like this," then set that filter up to place the message in your inbox (or in a Daz folder, or wherever you would normally want it).

Hmmmm, I'll give that a try.  Thanks!  

Got it set up... hopefully that does the trick!  Thanks again 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited August 2019

oh yay finally

Capture.JPG
    1569 x 249 - 50K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Yea, now I get that hideous banner in every email too!  WTF!  LOL 

RAMWolff said:

Yea, now I get that hideous banner in every email too!  WTF!  LOL 

Try adding "never mark as spam" to the filter? (It's another checkbox you can mark.) I'm not sure that'll work, but it's worth a try.

There isn't an option there that I can see....

See the screen grab

Spam.png
    967 x 747 - 63K
    edited August 2019
    RAMWolff said:

There isn't an option there that I can see....

See the screen grab

I think it's the Never send it to spam that I remembered. If that still puts the huge header there, then there's nothing I know of that can help. Well, other than Daz reverting to how they used to send these messages, but that's not something we can do on the receiving side.

Post edited by Ati on

Yes, those two are the ones I have checked off.  Never send to Spam and then have it send to the Forums tab.  That's it.  

• How long does it usually take for your discussion to be approved?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2019

How long does it usually take for your discussion to be approved?

the software checker needs to see enough posts to be sure you are a real person.  normally 4 or 5 posts. Before then posts are approved manually when Mods are available to do so.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,759
    edited August 2019

Didn't this thread used to be stickied to the top of page 1?  Just found it halfway down page 2  edit - and now it's at the top of page 1 again.  weird.

Post edited by Cybersox on