Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited November 2013

Rogerbee said:
    You want a quad core with at least 6 or more gig of RAM and you'll do alright.

CHEERS!

Funny, I was thinking of buying a dual core Celeron. i found a six-core AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz processor for only $120 USD. wow. That is cheap. Hopefully I will find a job soon so that I can build my own computer. Thanks for the tips everyone. I gotta go now.. again. lol
    ...you would be better off with teh AMD hexacore than a Celeron.

The one thing though with the i7 is it has a "fatter" pipeline to the memory which means faster communication between the processor and RAM that in turn means shorter rendering times.

I am currently running a 2.8gHz i7 with 12GB tri channel RAM.

You can get an i7 930 (which is what I have) for around 150$ (eBay). 12GB RAM (tri Channel) 124$ at NewEgg. Double that (24GB) for about twice that (which is still less than I paid for the 12GB DDR3 tri channel kit that I bought).

What GPU do you currently have?

The difficult part is finding a Motherboard that has the LGA1366 socket and supports Tri Channel configuration as this is now "legacy" tech, however it is still a major step up from a single core CPU. The prices I saw varied from 204$ to 289$.

Overall if you can find the components you can probably build what I have for under half of what I paid. You would need Win7 64 bit so I would suggest an OEM version of WIn7 Pro (139$ at NewEgg) as it costs only a bit more than Home Premium 64, supports up to 192GB (which is important if you ever plan to expand beyond 16 GB [which is the upper limit for Home Premium]). It is also not as big a "jump" in the UI format from XP as Win8 is (Pro can even be set to XP mode). I only have Home Premium 64 because I received a special free upgrade coupon with my OEM purchase of Vista64.

Win8 and 8.1 also get a lot of "cons" in comments I read, which include ease of installation and registering (particularly if you get an OEM), software compatibility, and stability (particularly the 8.1 update). Personally, I'd go with Win7Pro as * looks like this generation's "Vista".

My "beast" may not be "State of the Art" anymore, but it gets the job done and is very solid. The only change I am considering is doubling the RAM to 24GB, but I need to upgrade Win7Pro to use it all, What is sad is the "Anytime" upgrade cost from Home Premium to Pro is something like 90$ (about what the OEM version of 8.1 is going for).

Yeah, in a year we'll probably be hearing about workstations with 4.5 gHz hyperthreading hexacore CPUs and 64 GB (expandable to128) being the norm. The tech curve is moving at Ludicrous Speed.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    What GPU do you currently have?

Please don't laugh... :D It is about three times faster than the integrated video chip. I may spend $100 on a video card.

Current OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

gpu-z.jpg
    388 x 488 - 93K
    edited December 1969

...you may want to consider an upgrade in this department as the memory will limit how well the Viewport responds when working on a scene. Also it supports a maximum of OpenGL 2.1 which is pretty much the minimum optimal version for Daz Studio and might be outdated when Studio 5 rolls out. Most newer units support OGL 4+.

I have a GTX 460 (3 generations old) which supports OGL 4.4 has a maximum texture size limit of 16384 x 16384. Dedicated VRAM: 1GB of GDDR5 Total available Graphics memory: 4GB, Memory Bandwidth 115.2 GB/sec, Memory Interface: 256bit Texture Fill Rate: 37.8G/sec. Pixel Fill Rat 21.6G/sec. CLock Speeds: Core: 700 MHz, Memory: 3600MHz Shader: 1400 MHz.

You can get into a GTX 650 (previous generation) for a bit over 100$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130827

...odd that the newer cards have a 128 bit interface where mine is 256 bit.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

All sounding pretty good.

I will say this though, whenever anybody has had major issues with graphics cards, 9 times out of 10 it's been an NVidia card that has been at the heart of most of them. I have what, at the time, was a decent spec Radeon for a laptop. I also have an integrated Intel card in mine too. You can configure them so that certain apps run one card and vice versa. I use the Intel for browsers and most Windows programs and functions and save the Radeon for DS and video players.

Finding drivers was a major pain when I switched to Windows 8, and I fear that as more updates come in for 8, my laptop will eventually become useless as there will be no drivers compatible with the updated Windows. There's no way I'm getting 8.1 as I have no idea how much of my laptop will still work! I've already lost my fingerprint reader as it no longer recognises any of the drivers.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...interesting, save for a fan speed issue that was causing the momentary blackouts and blue screens (which there was a simple fix for) I have experienced no issues with my nVidia 460.

edited December 1969

Oh, right,

Perhaps it 's different for DS, but, whenever I'd read someone saying that they'd had crashes and freezes with Poser, people would ask what their video card was, and there would be groaning when they said it was NVidia. It was either drivers or that particular model not being compatible. I could have had a Sony for a fraction what this cost, but, I held off as, at the time, I was looking for a card that was compatible with Vue and the NVidia it had wasn't on the list and my Radeon was. On the tech specs for Vue they didn't recommend NVidia that highly either. From what I can recall, though I could of course be wrong, NVidia are more gaming cards than full on 3D cards.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...I remember hearing something about that a while back. Haven't used Poser enough to see that happen.

edited December 1969

The only NVidia thing I use is a Photoshop plug-in that generates normal maps, now that is really useful!

CHEERS!

• Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Bobvan said:
    LOL limitations of 3D guess I should get into dynamic clothing at some point..

That's a good point, I haven't got the dynamic clothing plug-in for DS yet.

CHEERS!

Isn't the plug in comes with the installer of DS 4.6 ? I've got mine as soon as it installed. Btw if you are in a go for more glamour or bit extreme pose, don't use dynamic clothing. It just won't work.
    Maybe it will work, but with extreme diligence, patience, and passion.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited November 2013

I just don't bother with it..... Im just doing this for fun and a bit of side income... Something new..

e8d0914030dcb9bf06940ff5f3a56f9f-d6u7fby.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 553K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited November 2013

Isn't the plug in comes with the installer of DS 4.6 ? I've got mine as soon as it installed. Btw if you are in a go for more glamour or bit extreme pose, don't use dynamic clothing. It just won't work.
    Maybe it will work, but with extreme diligence, patience, and passion.

Nope, it doesn't, as you see from my plug-in list. It'd cost me $50 if I want it.

CHEERS!

Plug-ins.JPG
    600 x 400 - 59K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    I just don't bother with it..... Im just doing this for fun and a bit of side income... Something new..

Good for you, I've never really had cause to use it either. Autofit seems to cater for the majority of my clothing needs.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I think the basic plugin/payer for Dynamic cloth is included. Go to Window -> Tabs -> Dynamic Cloth.

dynamic_cloth.jpg
    372 x 539 - 64K
    edited December 1969

Yes, well, isn't that in DS3? I certainly don't have it listed in DS4.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Weird, I got mine too, with the installer of DS 4.6 Pro and it's free, what cost me is the AniMate2 plugin.

Have you tried to download the latest update for DS ?

1.JPG
    471 x 140 - 15K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

The basic Dynamic Control should be in DS4+ it is included. You might need one of the Advanced User Styles like City Limits before it will list. The Default DS user interface is very limited in which tools will show or list.
    edited November 2013

Mo junk

686c3ff6ab83308dc822d0b541eb1663-d644eoz.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 733K
    13_by_bobvan-d64e8zi.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 839K
    31844d8394a5eb664ddc2c0f2f390f2b-d6fm1nu.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 1M
    bef0b08d689ad40f4d778eb393462576-d6fdlkq.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 838K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited November 2013

Jaderail said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!The basic Dynamic Control should be in DS4+ it is included. You might need one of the Advanced User Styles like City Limits before it will list. The Default DS user interface is very limited in which tools will show or list.

Ah you are right, I've been using City Limit since the 1st time, because of the dark color theme, not because I'm an advance user, lol

Mo junk

Hmm, I need to start looking for outside environment scene for my figures, getting hit by the wall lately with indoor scene.

Here is another render from me, but with some retouching done

Too_Hot.jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 970K
    Post edited by Yonas Ang on
    edited November 2013

Well, I've tried all the different layouts and I still don't have a basic dynamic clothing plug-in, just the one I have to pay for. I also lost a layout I really liked too! I had it all set up the way I wanted it but didn't save it. I have now though, but it's still not quite the way I want it.

I'll install the latest DS and see what comes up

CHEERS!

EDIT:

Nope, still not there,

Do I have to uninstall the original version ie: the one that is listed but I have to buy!?

EDIT:

Yes, I did have to, I've now got the basic one! Wahey!

Still don't know how to get that old viewport style that I liked back though!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!The basic Dynamic Control should be in DS4+ it is included. You might need one of the Advanced User Styles like City Limits before it will list. The Default DS user interface is very limited in which tools will show or list.

Ah you are right, I've been using City Limit since the 1st time, because of the dark color theme, not because I'm an advance user, lol

Mo junk

Hmm, I need to start looking for outside environment scene for my figures, getting hit by the wall lately with indoor scene.

Here is another render from me, but with some retouching done

Nice

edited November 2013

...just checked (after waiting for a bunch of Windows updates to compile) and I don't see the basic plugin listed either. It should be listed under "Daz Studio Pro Plugin Bundle" It also does not show up in the Window/Tabs menu.

I'm running the Darkside setup as the other ones are just to gaudy to look at.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

You need to uninstall the one you have to pay for, you'll get the basic one then.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...don't have the 50$ one Can't justify the cost for such a limited system that doesn't allow me to set up my own dynamic cloth.

edited December 1969

Oh,

Try installing the new version of DS and see what happens.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...it should have been there the last update install. I heard supposedly in a week or so there is going to be another update after all the Beta 4.6.2 issues are resolved. No major rush as I don't really have much in the way of dynamic content anyway. Stopped purchasing any more back when I was on the old 32 bit system as it would just freeze everything up and crash due to memory limit issues.

Besides I am hoping (probably in vain) that Studio 5 might finally support a full "open" cloth dynamic system either internally or via a plugin.

edited December 1969

When you look at your plug-in list, is the Dynamic Clothing Control there but with the serial no blank and a trolley icon next to it? If it is, go into Control Panel, Uninstall a Program and uninstall the Dynamic Clothing Control.

Start DS again when you have and you should now have the basic version of the Dynamic Clothing plug-in.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...did that. Will wait until later to see the results as I don't want to restart the system right now.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you have the Pay version installed but it is NOT the UPDATED version for the version of DAZ Studio you are using that Kills all the Dynamic Plugins. With every DAZ Studio update you SHOULD have a Dynamic Plugin Update file as well for your PAY version. If you do not install the New Updated Paid Dynamic plugin then as I say you will not have ANY dynamic until you uninstall the Pay version from the old DAZ Studio version. If you only want the Basic Dynamic plugin built into DAZ Studio be sure you uninstall any pay version you have. Then Do a Full PC reboot.

edited November 2013

Thanks for clearing that up,

The dynamic clothing was never something I used anyway, but, if I want to, at least with this basic version, I know it's there if I ever fancy a dabble.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

No new renders from me yet. I'm still trying to fix some old 2D drawings and upload them to DeviantArt. I may do some quick portraits of Genesis 1 and 2 though. It is interesting to see the different art styles on Daz's website and DeviantArt. Other people's 3D art looks so fancy with Lux, IBL/HDRI or fancy uber lighting. Ahh.. I just remembered that I still need to finish my scenes with the dream home. Let me add that to my to-do list. :D

This discussion has been closed.