Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• How can I getand install this 4.12 BETA?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

How can I getand install this 4.12 BETA?

@fjccommish, Follow the steps in this post.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    Ivy said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Ivy said:

Great thanks . I love how fast daz 12 renders but wow it sure is unstable.   thankfully my work around is to keep all the render pngs in the temp render folder created when rendering the scene that I can use in my film editor to compile all the frames into a avi for further film editng so I am not losing my work at least

I noticed in your last crash screenshot you posted here that it was saving to AVI. I know the movie export feature is relying on some old libraries so I would highly recommend exporting the individual frames and then creating the movie in an external application.

You might be a great programmer , but i can see you don't make many animation..no offense .lol Avi is 300% faster to edit into in any given film editor than importing 1000's of PNG frames to create and AVI which i need to edit in a film ..

you can't save lip synce with individual png's.  but saving in avi with lipsynch you preserve the wav sound file with the animation  in avi 

AVI with sound files are 500% faster to work with in any given film editor rather than try to match up the wav sound keyframes with the all pngs keyframes from the render in a animation which you have to compiled the png's into a avi or mp4 format before going to the finel editing.   animations is a ton of work. please don't make it any harder by taking away our ability to save in avi format .

Yes there are many times when I do need to save in png series, when i need to edit in effects or special post work, i'll import those into after-effects or photoshop and save them as MP4 before importing into my film editor .  That has how I have been recovering from the crashes I had so far,  by saving the PNG's that are in the temp render folder that are placed there during rendering of the animation. and I compiling them in after-effect & and saving them as mp4 & than I can import them into the film editor

So Ya Buddy!  90% of the time if I can, I'll save in avi over png's series  just to save time from having to manually compile 1000's the png's into a AVI or mp4,  which is what I need to end up with  before i put the scene in the final edit.   So why would I want to take the extra steps manually compiling png' if i can avoid that extra work using my 3d software.?   its not like i have a studio of people helping make these things.

I would prefer if daz studio would save in MP4 when rendering is finshed,  then we could use mp3 audio like other software's has a option for.  but AVI works for me as long as you guys don't break it.  In Poser you can import avi & mp4 video as a background. and save your finshed work as mp4.  Man I wish daz could import video for a background the possiablilities

Lastly have you ever compared a folder size containing 300 pngs  series for a 10 second scene at 30kfps of rendered animation. imagine having 30 or 40 of those png folders 1 for each scene  compared to a compiled saved avi  for a 10second at 30kfps , the files size is so much smaller, you'll have to try it yourself to believe it

If your interested this is how my  animation looks in a Adobe Premiere film editor  in final edit.   its 1.minute and 15 seconds i have done so far, you can see there is 11 scenes  8 to 10 second long each. compared to what it would be if i used 15,000 png keys frames in 12 folders of pngs at 10 gig each folder.plcaced all on timeline to make the same length film..  Oh my goodness that would be Horrible .(shutters at the thought).lol  never mibnd try eiditing that mess..lol

But that is my prefered way of using daz for animation

The AVIs DS creates aren't the best. Actually the 1 time I tried it it created a EGA color atrocious mess that took much time to create and threatened to crash DS the entire time. It's easier to import them into VirtualDub after saving them as a series of images.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790
    genrljeff said:

It doesn't work. I never should have updated. Every time I try to render a scene with more than one figure or a simple background Daz crashes. Should have kept 4.11.

The official build and the beta are a paralell install. Never delete a running software for a beta.

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 165
    Ivy said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Ivy said:

Great thanks . I love how fast daz 12 renders but wow it sure is unstable.   thankfully my work around is to keep all the render pngs in the temp render folder created when rendering the scene that I can use in my film editor to compile all the frames into a avi for further film editng so I am not losing my work at least

I noticed in your last crash screenshot you posted here that it was saving to AVI. I know the movie export feature is relying on some old libraries so I would highly recommend exporting the individual frames and then creating the movie in an external application.

You might be a great programmer , but i can see you don't make many animation..no offense .lol Avi is 300% faster to edit into in any given film editor than importing 1000's of PNG frames to create and AVI which i need to edit in a film ..

you can't save lip synce with individual png's.  but saving in avi with lipsynch you preserve the wav sound file with the animation  in avi 

AVI with sound files are 500% faster to work with in any given film editor rather than try to match up the wav sound keyframes with the all pngs keyframes from the render in a animation which you have to compiled the png's into a avi or mp4 format before going to the finel editing.   animations is a ton of work. please don't make it any harder by taking away our ability to save in avi format .

Yes there are many times when I do need to save in png series, when i need to edit in effects or special post work, i'll import those into after-effects or photoshop and save them as MP4 before importing into my film editor .  That has how I have been recovering from the crashes I had so far,  by saving the PNG's that are in the temp render folder that are placed there during rendering of the animation. and I compiling them in after-effect & and saving them as mp4 & than I can import them into the film editor

So Ya Buddy!  90% of the time if I can, I'll save in avi over png's series  just to save time from having to manually compile 1000's the png's into a AVI or mp4,  which is what I need to end up with  before i put the scene in the final edit.   So why would I want to take the extra steps manually compiling png' if i can avoid that extra work using my 3d software.?   its not like i have a studio of people helping make these things.

I would prefer if daz studio would save in MP4 when rendering is finshed,  then we could use mp3 audio like other software's has a option for.  but AVI works for me as long as you guys don't break it.  In Poser you can import avi & mp4 video as a background. and save your finshed work as mp4.  Man I wish daz could import video for a background the possiablilities

Lastly have you ever compared a folder size containing 300 pngs  series for a 10 second scene at 30kfps of rendered animation. imagine having 30 or 40 of those png folders 1 for each scene  compared to a compiled saved avi  for a 10second at 30kfps , the files size is so much smaller, you'll have to try it yourself to believe it

If your interested this is how my  animation looks in a Adobe Premiere film editor  in final edit.   its 1.minute and 15 seconds i have done so far, you can see there is 11 scenes  8 to 10 second long each. compared to what it would be if i used 15,000 png keys frames in 12 folders of pngs at 10 gig each folder.plcaced all on timeline to make the same length film..  Oh my goodness that would be Horrible .(shutters at the thought).lol  never mibnd try eiditing that mess..lol

Rendering animations as image sequences is standard practice. If you're using proper hardware and a proper toolset, there should be no workflow or performance issues.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited August 2019
    Ivy said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Ivy said:

The AVIs DS creates aren't the best. Actually the 1 time I tried it it created a EGA color atrocious mess that took much time to create and threatened to crash DS the entire time. It's easier to import them into VirtualDub after saving them as a series of images.

Maybe for you png's work best, specially if you have limited computer resources & making a 90keyframe- 3 second film.. . compiled uncompressed avi or MP4 is the FILM industry stantard for final edit in a film editor the 1000's of raw PNG's are always post process into a avi or mp4 before going to final edit  which would require another step to process those pngs before you can use them. if I can side step that I will.     The AVI I been getting from daz have been coming out great specially since Iray release.  The only crashes I get is when the denoiser is turn on.  other wise saving to avi works fine with it off , working with avi is 300 times faster than having to compiling the pngs before going final edit of your film  if ithe png's are not needed for post process editing like in after-effect.  as a film maker you don't use the raw pngs data to create the film you have to post process them first in a film editor or a FX effects software into a format that can be edited in final cut of editing.   or you never be able to do scene transitions or match scenes cuts or blend scene with a million png's in use,   not to mention if you did try to use Raw png's series in a final edit, &  just miss place or move 1 png keyframe by mistake in the wrong position on the film editors timeline during final edit then you got a mess, you will mostly likely need to start over other wise  or your forever hunting down the error png keyframe. Have you ever try to hunt down 1 keyframe in a film editor  in a sea of 20,000 png's?  do you know how big that folder containing those png's are before compiling is compared to the compiled AVI data?  .  Large animation studios  render out png series & they have 1000's of artist for post production  to process those a pngs into one AVI uncompressed  scene before going to final edit..  My friend that is exactly what I am doing. what they do. so if i need to save time by saving some scenes in avi that should not be criticized for how i create films just because that what everyone should do. 

I do at times save in PNG's series for post processing requirements.   But if I am  going to be forced to use png's series with daz studio  Than my animating days with daz are done and I will start using blender or poser, Maya,iclone, 3ds, lightwave,  that saves films in avi  MP4, MLT for blueray and 4K

This is not attack against you. I have no idea how many animated short films you guys have made no one hardly post any of  them if they are making them with daz. . But I have 100's animations ive been doing this a long time. .    so unless you have a better way of creating a animated film with over 20,000 png keyframes   in standard  Adobe film editor without post processiing them into something useable first I am listening.

2.jpg
    1905 x 1009 - 260K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2019
    hookflash said:
    Ivy said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Ivy said:

Rendering animations as image sequences is standard practice. If you're using proper hardware and a proper toolset, there should be no workflow or performance issues.

yes then they post process them into mp4 or uncomprssed avi before going to final edit like I said this is my way of doing things I have 100's of animations to show my work and style. please show me a film edited with 20,000 raw png's that werre not post process first

Post edited by Ivy on
  • edited August 2019
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Maybe for you png's work best, specially if you have limited computer resources & making a 3 second film.. . compiled uncompressed avi or MP4 is the FILM industry stantard for final edit in a film editor not 12,000's of raw PNG's,   

Of course the final output should be a proper video file of somekind, however the industry standard until that point is an image sequence. Even 3D studio max's documentation tells you to use an image sequence.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax-Tutorial/files/GUID-677660AD-AEF2-4B99-BDCC-936C43730F66-htm.html

The number of files created doesn't matter as any video compositing software will process them into any output you like no trouble at all.

Post edited by william.daniel.moran_7820630622 on
    edited August 2019
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Maybe for you png's work best, specially if you have limited computer resources & making a 3 second film.. . compiled uncompressed avi or MP4 is the FILM industry stantard for final edit in a film editor not 12,000's of raw PNG's,   

Of course the final output should be a proper video file of somekind, however the industry standard until that point is an image sequence. Even 3D studio max's documentation tells you to use an image sequence.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax-Tutorial/files/GUID-677660AD-AEF2-4B99-BDCC-936C43730F66-htm.html

The number of files created doesn't matter as any video compositing software will process them into any output you like no trouble at all.

Please create a animation with 60 keyframes png's  now fade to black on the last 20 keyframes using the pngs without post processing them first?  I challenge you,  Please show me how its done?

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2019
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Please crearte a animation with 60 keyframes png's  now fade to black using the pngs without post pocessing?  I challegne you,  Show me how its done?

ThIs is a final edited in a film editor , notice there is not 20,000pngs  or 11 or 12 folders imported with 100's of pngs.  post processed  png into AVI or mp4 is need for final film editing. do you truely believe the directors at marvel use RAW PNG's in their final edit when making guardians of the Galaxy..lol 

There are many steps in making of a animations, not just the scene building and rendering  I try to do as little post work as I can get away with,  that is including saving my rendered raw data in avi  i when can, that is because I am a single person operations and it already takes me months to create a 2 minute short film without having to add all extra work because i have to post process every single scene before i can send it to final editing.  Just because all I can save in is PNG series in my 3d software.   that is ridiculous amount of work for one person and not practical or necessary

Sorry I am very dyslexic I have to edit for my spelling

Capture.JPG
    1913 x 1035 - 218K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2019

Sorry double post

Post edited by Ivy on
  • genrljeff said:

It doesn't work. I never should have updated. Every time I try to render a scene with more than one figure or a simple background Daz crashes. Should have kept 4.11.

The official build and the beta are a paralell install. Never delete a running software for a beta.

I didn't change from Beta that I know. I had the same problem two updates ago and was told to run Beta to fix it. It did until this update.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790
    edited August 2019
    genrljeff said:
    genrljeff said:

I didn't change from Beta that I know. I had the same problem two updates ago and was told to run Beta to fix it. It did until this update.

I don't understand. The install routine should have given you a path to choose a folder to install in.

Just Install 4.11 once again and choose a different path, than for the public beta.

Post edited by Masterstroke on

I like to mention as to another reason for saving render animation in avi over png series

Daz can import .wav sound files  (click edit, scroll down to audio  choose sound file ) it imports the .wav audio into the daz timeline & It will keyframe the sound file frame by frame on the timeline which you can match your animation keyframe squences on the daz timeline,  you would use sound files toos make things like  lip movements with the talking audio or a matching wing sound for a dragon flapping its wings , it  much easier to match  keyframe to keyframe sound to movement using daz timeline than trying to rather then saving that rendered animation in a PNG series & to try to match the audio with the keyframes in the post process segment of your film later ,   that is very time consuming and hit or miss at best on the final results.  When you save to avi & have imported a audio file into the daz time , the the saving in avi will preserve the audio in the final results. huge reason for saving in avi .

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

Anyone know if there's going to be a pre-made IK rig for G8/G3 or are we going to need to make our own?

• L'Adair said:
    Ivy said:

Great thanks . I love how fast daz 12 renders but wow it sure is unstable.   

Yes. Although (obviously) this is a Beta, this is the most unstable Daz Beta in a long time. It's also slower than 4.11 in many operations. 

I wonder why the IK introduction has caused so many issues. 

IK would not affect rendering, except possibly very marginally on large scenes if it increased memory foot-print in a way that couldn't be shuffled aside at render time..

Sorry, I didn't mean render time.

I meant saving a scene / loading a scene / "Select All", viewport manipulation, etc.

4.11 was a marked improvement in those areas, which was evident in the 4.11 Beta as well. 

In that way, 4.12 has felt like a step back and so I haven't been using it as much as I would.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_46

Placed Timeline pane node selection updates behind an event; addresses an issue that caused expensive key caching/drawing updates to occur too frequently (e.g., for each node when selecting/deselecting many/all nodes vs as the event loop naturally allows) and ultimately resulted in degraded performance

so that should show in the new beta

Not to complain, (much,) but it would be really cool if a post was made inline with the conversation when a new version of the beta is released.
    angel

You could bookmark https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341001/daz-studio-pro-4-12-highlights#latest - it has been getting a new post when there is a new version, and since it's locked no one else can bump it. The change log also gets updated, as does the DS landing page in the Documentation Centre, but I'm not sure there's an automatic way to trigger update notifications for those.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    genrljeff said:

You don't have both?  surprise

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Select All is very fast now. Thanks for fixing that so quickly.

• DrGonzo62DrGonzo62 Posts: 221
    Chohole said:
    I've noticed that hands don't follow rigged objects (that have more than 2 bones) in IK chains. The hands would move all around if you try to move a rigged object parented to IK chains of both hands. Even if you parent the IK to the main object itself and not its children. Perhaps this is meant to work only with objects that are not rigged? Or is it a bug?

I am advised to tell you

If you want to have both hands/arms follow an object in the hand(s) (e.g., a bat), parent the object to one hand (each node can only have one parent) so that it follows that hand for the FK solve, select each hand individualy and create an IK Chain, then parent both of those IK Chain nodes to the bat for the IK solve... not the other way around. You could also create an IK Chain starting with the object in the hand (e.g., the bat), but you'd need to adjust the Chain Root on that IK Chain node to account for the additional node in the chain (the default IK Chain length is typically 3, depending on the node setup involved).

I have tried constraining a hand to a sphere, and the results when moving the sphere are... interesting.
    In Motionbuilder, the IK rig would just move the arm or even the entire rig to where the sphere has been moved. In DAZ, not so much.
    Maybe it's because I haven't used IK chains in DAZ before.

• Chohole said:
    I've noticed that hands don't follow rigged objects (that have more than 2 bones) in IK chains. The hands would move all around if you try to move a rigged object parented to IK chains of both hands. Even if you parent the IK to the main object itself and not its children. Perhaps this is meant to work only with objects that are not rigged? Or is it a bug?

I am advised to tell you

If you want to have both hands/arms follow an object in the hand(s) (e.g., a bat), parent the object to one hand (each node can only have one parent) so that it follows that hand for the FK solve, select each hand individualy and create an IK Chain, then parent both of those IK Chain nodes to the bat for the IK solve... not the other way around. You could also create an IK Chain starting with the object in the hand (e.g., the bat), but you'd need to adjust the Chain Root on that IK Chain node to account for the additional node in the chain (the default IK Chain length is typically 3, depending on the node setup involved).

Thanks! That gives me more ideas on all the possibilities this new feature opens. I couldn't test it yet as Daz kept crashing all the time and the latest update seemed to mess up the IK chain. I'll wait for a more stable update to make more tests. Thanks again. 

• DrGonzo62 said:
    Chohole said:

I am advised to tell you

I have tried constraining a hand to a sphere, and the results when moving the sphere are... interesting.
    In Motionbuilder, the IK rig would just move the arm or even the entire rig to where the sphere has been moved. In DAZ, not so much.

Rob revised his suggestion, having posted the foregoing while he was away from DS:

To have both hands/arms follow an object (e.g., a bat) in the hand(s) of a figure, and also have that object remain relative to a bone of that figure, parent the object to a node in the figure's bone hierarchy that is both higher and common to the hierarchy of pull nodes for each chain (pull nodes are the nodes between the Chain Root and the root node of the figure), e.g. the upper chest in this case, so that the object follows that node for the FK portion of posing. To setup the IK portion of posing, select each hand individually and create an IK Chain... then parent both of those IK Chain nodes to the object (e.g., the bat). Now, when you move the trunk of the figure to build the core of a "swinging the bat" pose, the bat stays relative to the upper chest... but you can move/rotate the bat (relative to the upper chest of the figure) and the arms/hands will use IK to resolve their respective position/angles.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 549
    barbult said:

Select All is very fast now. Thanks for fixing that so quickly.

Can confirm this as well!

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,901
    The one thing I'd like to see, and if it's possible please let me know, but I would love to be able to keyframe parenting. Like a character picks something up and moves it, to be able to have it unparented, place the hand on it and parent it, move it and then unparent it all in the same shot. I've had to do seperate shots without moving the camera to make this work and it would just be so much more convenient to be able to do it in one fell swoop. Now I'm not a programmer, this might not be possible, but I figure since it's in beta I'll throw this out there.
  • OB 1OB 1 Posts: 9

Any click in the Key Graph (graphMate) area leads to a frieze of the DS and the system in general, to some extent Ctrl + Alt + Del is solved, but it is impossible to fully work.

This bug has been noticed for a long time, even with the graphMate plugin, only on some systems (I always have), the reasons, as I understand it, are unknown.

• DrGonzo62DrGonzo62 Posts: 221
    edited August 2019
    DrGonzo62 said:
    Chohole said:

I am advised to tell you

Rob revised his suggestion, having posted the foregoing while he was away from DS:

To have both hands/arms follow an object (e.g., a bat) in the hand(s) of a figure, and also have that object remain relative to a bone of that figure, parent the object to a node in the figure's bone hierarchy that is both higher and common to the hierarchy of pull nodes for each chain (pull nodes are the nodes between the Chain Root and the root node of the figure), e.g. the upper chest in this case, so that the object follows that node for the FK portion of posing. To setup the IK portion of posing, select each hand individually and create an IK Chain... then parent both of those IK Chain nodes to the object (e.g., the bat). Now, when you move the trunk of the figure to build the core of a "swinging the bat" pose, the bat stays relative to the upper chest... but you can move/rotate the bat (relative to the upper chest of the figure) and the arms/hands will use IK to resolve their respective position/angles.

Thanks Richard and Rob, I'll see if I can figure this out.

Post edited by DrGonzo62 on

is there going to be any  IK/FK chain dopesheet that matches lines with the timeline editor released. because would be masiv help

DrGonzo62 said:
    Chohole said:

I am advised to tell you

Is there anyway we can get this information written up ina document somewhere ?  Thank you

The one thing I'd like to see, and if it's possible please let me know, but I would love to be able to keyframe parenting. Like a character picks something up and moves it, to be able to have it unparented, place the hand on it and parent it, move it and then unparent it all in the same shot. I've had to do seperate shots without moving the camera to make this work and it would just be so much more convenient to be able to do it in one fell swoop. Now I'm not a programmer, this might not be possible, but I figure since it's in beta I'll throw this out there.

I agree with Bennie , that would be a great feature, How about daz guys can that be implemented that we can parent and unparent .objs & bones in the timeline, or is there a way we can use the IK/fk chains to do that? 

& is there any documents coming for this new IK system?

• evilcho_evilcho_ Posts: 79

I see that the top menus are all scrambled. Can I somehow get them back to the way they were?

• evilcho_ said:

I see that the top menus are all scrambled. Can I somehow get them back to the way they were?

Please provide a screenshot.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

The IK Chain feature is definitely a step in the right direction. To make it more fleshed out, pole vectors and a comprehensive constraint system should be next on the list, if it isn't already. I'd also ike to see a couple of documentation examples/videos demonstrating how the devs envisage common scenarios like foot flat on floor (still getting foot sink when scrubbing the timeline between two keyframes), toe on floor and raise heel by bending knee (tip toe) and the obligatory holding and object and keeping the hand orientation correct.