July, 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

And here is my 2nd contribution.

Also a close up but with colored light set up.
    Again DOF and a slight touch of bloom.
    (No postwork)

You have some interesting shadows and I really like the reflections in her eyes.  The jewellery has some great highlights but I find myself drawn to those highlights rather than her eyes.

Great rim light on her hair.  It really helps it to separate her hair from the darker background.

Another nicely framed image.

Got a pair for you guys to compare and contrast:

Portrait with Cat Mk1(a&b)

Portrait with Cat Mk1aPortrait with Cat Mk1b

I think the left is broad lighting and the right short?

• Changelog:
      • Adjusted the posing to better set her weight on her arm.
      • Replaced the HDRI with a manually placed meshlight.
      • Added a tiny push modifier to the pants to stop the clipping. (So annoying when it only shows up in the final render! At least the fix was easy.)
    • Problems:
      • I think the contrast has issues in both versions. In the left, the stones are way too bright, whereas in the right, her top is the brightest zone.
      • In the right, her clothes almost completely disappear into the background.
    • Potential fixes (some of these are mutually exclusive):
      • Change the stones and the top to stand out less.
      • Add a neutral background to contrast with the dark clothes.
      • Brighten the outerwear to stand out against a black background.

You can add a rim light behind her to help those dark clothes stand out from the background.

Of the 2 images I prefer the left version because the cat's face is not in shadows.

nicheng said:

Here is a portrait I did a couple of months ago just to experiment and see what I could do. Her name is Aki.

Really nice use of DOF to bring the focus to Aki's face.

Just a couple of pose adjustments may be needed.  I think her right arm may be intersecting the arm of the couch but it is hard to tell from this angle.  Also, the fingers of her left hand could be in contact with the arm of the couch.  You just need to add a little bit of bend to the fingers.

This is a really nice image.

When I first began to learn art, a portrait was usually someone awkwardly posed next to a mantle. I was never interested in creating those type of images, so this is fairly new to me. I am glad portraits are more loosely defined here.
    I knew I was going to use displacement and sub-d 3 all the things for this image so I lit it with just the hdri. I had to do a lot of adjustment to the background building to get the effect I wanted with the DOF ( distance and scale ). This is the first image I have ever done with the figure wearing glasses. The fiber-mesh brows presented some challenge with that but with some adjustment and some post-work I am happy with the result. 
     I rendered this in Daz Studio at 10x7k for about ninety minutes and used Gimp to reduce and do post-work.

This is a really compelling portrait.  I really like the use of the split face lighting and the DOF.  I am glad the goggles do not obscure his eyes completely.

I am not sure what to suggest to improve this image.

Here's another pair to compare and contrast!

Portrait with Cat Mk2 (r&t)

Portrait with Cat mk2 (Rembrandt version)Portrait with Cat mk2 (Three-light version)

@richardandtracy_e725004c1a @tomg @Gordig: Thanks for the feedback. The previous iteration's lighting was kinda similar to @tomg's; an emissive primitive slaved to a ball in the model's head (already in use to get her eyes pointed at the camera) that I had rotated 51* left or right. The 3-Light version has three of them. I wasn't sure that that change would be necessary after I changed the clothes and background, so I also rendered one using the same Rembrandt setup.

The differences in these 2 is very subtle but I prefer the image on the right. 

I also like the changes you made in her clothes, background and the shader change on the hexagons she is sitting on...they are less shiney now and not a distraction.

TigerAnne said:

Final version. Bleh.

I know that feeling.  wink

Cinus said:

My render of the Sahel character by bluejaunte.

Nice character portrait.  I like the way her eyes are looking at something off camera.

You have some nice highlights on her hair from the light coming from the character's right.  I see some light on her left shoulder but it does not seem to be reaching her hair.  A soft light on the back of her head might help to separate her hair from the background just a bit.

Nice image.

• dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 463

This is a really compelling portrait.  I really like the use of the split face lighting and the DOF.  I am glad the goggles do not obscure his eyes completely.

I am not sure what to suggest to improve this image.

@Kismet2012 I wanted the reflections on the eye wear to help "plant" the figure in the environment and still have the characters eyes visible. I was not sure if I got the balance right. It is great to have that feedback, thank you!

• Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited July 2019

Kismet2012 said:

I am drawn to her eyes which is generally what you want in a portrait.  I do love that hat.

I have to say I love the hat too.  It really worked out well in this scene.  My vision was to pose her in a hat with a bright background.  The hat was a key piece, as you note, it helps to frame her eye and draw you to them as well as provide separation between her face and the background image.  So here is my final version of "Kala with a Hat" (I fixed a few more hair poke throughs that had popped up).

@richardandtracy_e725004c1a said: Rarely see a professional portrait photographer produce an image as striking as this. Superb.

Thank you for your kind comment.

Kala Hat Final.jpg
    890 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on
  • Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited July 2019

Kismet2012 said:

Nice double/triple? portrait.  This is an interesting variation on the infinity images of mirrors on opposite walls.

That was the concept I was going for and it was a really good learning experience with many different light sources in a scene and my first go at using canvanses to adjust the lighting.  So here is the final version with a few minor adjustments to the lighting.

Selfie Scene Final.jpg
    1187 x 1920 - 1M
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on
  • CinusCinus Posts: 118
    edited July 2019

Nice character portrait.  I like the way her eyes are looking at something off camera.

You have some nice highlights on her hair from the light coming from the character's right.  I see some light on her left shoulder but it does not seem to be reaching her hair.  A soft light on the back of her head might help to separate her hair from the background just a bit.

Nice image.

Thanks for the feedback! I ended up changing several things.

Changed the light setup completely. I had a bunch of rectangular lights that were causing odd reflections in the eyes, so I went with a more classic 3 point system and more subdued lighting.

Made the hair smoother by creating a subdivision surface.

Changed they eyes to eyes with slightly more brown in them and made the iris smaller.

Changed the surfaces on the earrings to make them look like emeralds.

The character was in the A pose when I created the original render, so I moved her arms down for the new render.

I increased her smile a bit.

Changed the background for more contrast.

Sahel 12.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 768K
    Post edited by Cinus on
    Cinus said:

Nice image.

Thanks for the feedback! I ended up changing several things.

Changed the light setup completely. I had a bunch of rectangular lights that were causing odd reflections in the eyes, so I went with a more classic 3 point system and more subdued lighting.

Made the hair smoother by creating a subdivision surface.

Changed they eyes to eyes with slightly more brown in them and made the iris smaller.

Changed the surfaces on the earrings to make them look like emeralds.

The character was in the A pose when I created the original render, so I moved her arms down for the new render.

I increased her smile a bit.

Changed the background for more contrast.

I was wondering if your first image had her in the A pose.  Glad you adjusted her arms.  It does look more natural now.

All those changes work.  Looks great.

• sueyasueya Posts: 825

These are my two final entries for this month. One uses a side light and one uses an overhead light. 

• t0mgt0mg Posts: 48

OK, since I like portraits and I love lights, I present a second submission - if organizators allows -

Little Devil

This is the same character than my previous submission, but with a different ligthing; I wanted a high contrast / low light with a bright-ish simple background.

Again, character is G8M - many many morph packs - Growing Up - Altern8 with Luca Skin . Lights is a custom setup made by me on hexagon + emissives.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for watching! 

G8J_Little Devil.jpg
    1061 x 1500 - 808K
  • t0mgt0mg Posts: 48
    edited July 2019

OK, since I like portraits and I love lights, I present a second submission - if organizators allows -

Little Devil

This is the same character than my previous submission, but with a different ligthing; I wanted a high contrast / low light with a bright-ish simple background. And a subtle mischivious / devilish / "Daz meets Demian Thorn" attitude. 

Again, character is G8M - many many morph packs - Growing Up - Altern8 with Luca Skin . Lights is a custom setup made by me on hexagon + emissives.

Post edited by t0mg on
    tomg said:

Little Devil

This is the same character than my previous submission, but with a different ligthing; I wanted a high contrast / low light with a bright-ish simple background.

I'd say you got the expression bang on for the title.  He definitely has a devilish look, especiall that slight smirk of a smile.

I was wondering if your first image had her in the A pose.  Glad you adjusted her arms.  It does look more natural now.

All those changes work.  Looks great.

Thanks !

• I'm gonna have to @everyone

Participation has been astonishing and so many remarkable entires.

Honestly I have been unable to keep up in terms of providing feedback but I am really impressed by everyone.

@tomg - I know you found a way to steal Linwelly's freckles and I am dusting off my skin builder...you have not heard the last of me!!!!!!

@sueya - I honestly like the 'tude and lighting from both of them and I'm torn.  Wonderful expoloration of the fine differences in lighting and it's impact.

@Cinus - I would like to be an artist but I love realism and the captured moment.  I really feel that in your image.  It is a portrait captured in memory from across the room.  I feel like I remembeer her from a party as she turned to smile at someone.  I really like this.

@Sisyphus1977xx - I think the mirror selfie is a very cool concept but the woman in the hat is iconic.  I think Bogart should swoop in at any moment.  I do think you improved it but I knew it was awesome from your first draft.

I'd like to go through all of them but the input for this challenge has been pretty overwhelming.  

To the judges...just wanna say...sux to be you.

edited July 2019

@ariochsnowpaw - Thanks for the the kind words. Inspired me to post another one. I don't seem to have an artistic bone in my body, so I try to go for photo realysm :). I purchased  the Reese character by Mousso a couple of days ago, so had to do a render of her. 

Longing

Reese 2.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 649K
    Post edited by Cinus on
  • RurisRuris Posts: 123
    edited July 2019

One more to go. Colors end up a bit weak. Do you guys always boost the vibrance/saturation before doing the postwork? Need to try that the next round.

Post edited by Ruris on
    Cinus said:

@ariochsnowpaw - Thanks for the the kind words. Inspired me to post another one. I don't seem to have an artistic bone in my body, so I try to go for photo realysm :). I purchased  the Reese character by Mousso a couple of days ago, so had to do a render of her. 

Longing

Great job on the posing and expression.  It isn't easy to light a fair skinned character.  Good work.

Ruris said:

One more to go. Colors end up a bit weak. Do you guys always boost the vibrance/saturation before doing the postwork? Need to try that the next round.

Great work on the posing and expression here too.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 4,980
    Cinus said:

Longing

Reese is a character that's so good you just want to do the best for her. You've done an amazing job and I love it.

As my two entries for the month are filled, I went and played with her in the attached non-competition-entry and was pretty chuffed at how she came out too. Almost feel the character is sooo good you can't get her to make a bad image. Anyway she's s'posed to be in the ruins of her great grandparents house in the extreme Western Highlands of Scotland, appalled by the poverty and grinding hard work a living would have entailed there. She's also feeling the odd dislocation one feels between warm family stories passed down through the generations and reality.

Regards,

Richard.

Reese 04 R02.jpg
    1000 x 969 - 108K
  • CarlCGCarlCG Posts: 114
    edited July 2019

My file for the first portrait became corrupt somehow, so I can't make any further revisions to it. The previous upload will have to be my final for that version. Also, been having a lot of trouble uploading pictures to this thread for some reason but after several days it's working.

Here is the final for my second image of the custom-designed character I made, Alexa. (The first image looked too big, so I added a 2nd here).

@punky thanks again for everything... took everything you said into consideration and this is the best version of my second image.  

Just out of curiousity to the experts here, are we allowed to do some of our character customization sculpting/morphing in Zbrush or should we stick to morphing wiithin Daz. Because it seems most of these stock characters from the vendors now are being sculpted in Zbrush anyways, was wondering if it's within the rules to further custom sculpt/morph them with that program and refine textures with photoshop. I see everyone using photoshop for post-work, was just checking if it's also ok for "pre-work" like skin texturing. PS and ZBrush are still very new to me, and i'm still new with Daz but I was still just curious. Of course would still be using daz for any posing/hair/clothing/scene building/lighting/shaders and rendering. 

Alexa Drake 03G.jpg
    6064 x 3222 - 6M
    Alexa Drake 03G (small).jpg
    3032 x 1611 - 5M
    Post edited by CarlCG on
  • CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 276

ok I don't think I'll have time to do a head shot.. I'll try though. but here's the full length portrait with corrections made for the pose to properly seat her without one leg in the air and a leg twisted uncomfortably. as well as another small correction maybe someone notices maybe not :)

Saranni(2).jpg
    2136 x 1990 - 3M

@testingtesterson35 - I am always looking for leather outfits which one(s) are those peices from?

• CarlCGCarlCG Posts: 114

@Coryllon  The outfit is this: https://www.daz3d.com/x-fashion-warrior-outfit-for-genesis-8-female-s

There's also a fantastic leather shader package that has every type of leather pattern/color you can think of, to turn any outfit into leather if you want:

https://www.daz3d.com/leather-shader-presets-2-for-iray

My file for the first portrait became corrupt somehow, so I can't make any further revisions to it. The previous upload will have to be my final for that version. Also, been having a lot of trouble uploading pictures to this thread for some reason but after several days it's working.

Here is the final for my second image of the custom-designed character I made, Alexa. (The first image looked too big, so I added a 2nd here).

@punky thanks again for everything... took everything you said into consideration and this is the best version of my second image.  

Just out of curiousity to the experts here, are we allowed to do some of our character customization sculpting/morphing in Zbrush or should we stick to morphing wiithin Daz. Because it seems most of these stock characters from the vendors now are being sculpted in Zbrush anyways, was wondering if it's within the rules to further custom sculpt/morph them with that program and refine textures with photoshop. I see everyone using photoshop for post-work, was just checking if it's also ok for "pre-work" like skin texturing. PS and ZBrush are still very new to me, and i'm still new with Daz but I was still just curious. Of course would still be using daz for any posing/hair/clothing/scene building/lighting/shaders and rendering. 

You are free to use whatever 3D program you like.  The majority use DAZ Studio but if you wish to use a different program that is allowed and encouraged.

I do not see any reason you cannot use zbrush to customize your character(s).

Even though the rules state a 2 image limit we do have some flexibility there within reason. 

I will have to try that leather shader for skin with another character

• @Cinus - Reese was the first character I spnet hard earned money on and she is the first render in my gallery here.  Mousso is an amazing artist but don't give all the credit to her...you did a great render there.

@testingtesterson35 - Oh man...why did you have to show me those shaders.  You just cost me more money (although I'm going to wishlist them for now and hope they go on sale).  But really, thanks, I've been hunting for a package I thought would give me a good array of leathers and that one looks pretty good.