Opinions on Marvelous Designer Video Tutorial?

LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
edited July 2019 in The Commons

I've recently purchased MD8 and would be interested in good tutorials to use it to create items for my personal use in DS.
Anyone tried the new "Marvelous Designer Video Tutorial" and could tell me what they think of it?

Post edited by Leana on

Comments

• evacynevacyn Posts: 950

I'd be interested in hearing feedback about it as well.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,666

You can find a ton of tutorials on it for free on youtube, not sure on how the one in the store compares. For learning how to use the program in general https://www.youtube.com/user/WildWebWorks/videos

Getting a daz studio figure into MD and exporting clothes back 

• DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited July 2019
    The video shows my work flow for a complete project, so lots of tricky detailing stuff as we go through the project...and it provides you ideas or concepts on how to improvise design/detailing as you make your way through a project. There's a YouTube intro available on store page. I also include MD/DAZ figure files for G8 figures. https://www.daz3d.com/marvelous-designer-video-tutorial
    Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • Enchanted AprilEnchanted April Posts: 214
    edited July 2019

@DarkEdgeDesign  Good to see you here, hello, I bought your Tuto and want to ask you for the files I'm missing. In video 2 / 11:30min while unticking "autom. add arrangement point" you speak about to use "the files you provided in the tutorial" and then you grab some from your desktop.  I can't find they in the downloads. Just mp4's. I took a ticket, but no answer...

(sorry Leana)

Post edited by Enchanted April on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I don't own this tutoral yet, but in the past I found DarkEdgeDesign's tutorials so good and thorough, that I bought one for software I didn't even own, just to learn about it. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited July 2019

I've picked up several of @DarkEdgeDesign's tutorials, and recently followed along with Substance Painter Workflows. I knew absolutely nothing about Substance Painter and I learned a ton about how to make my own textures. I really like DarkEdgeDesign's teaching style. I plan on picking up the MD tutorial as soon as my budget aligns with the price.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Thank you for your kind comments and I'm so happy that you find the tutorials helpful. The files in question was a store page installer error, Daz staff is working to correct this and should be sorted out soon! One way or another we will get those files to you!!
  • Also @EnchantedApril thank you so much for bringing this to my attention, customer satisfaction is a big priority in my world.

Just know that this is actively being rectified. smiley

• DarkEdgeDesign Is this specific to MD 8?

• Thank you @DarkEdgeDesign ! I went through your whole tutorial (with the automatically points so far) and came out with the complete outfit. Many mysteries are solved now for me... ;)

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    @DarkEdgeDesign any chance to see a New Zbrush tutorial projects? Character and outfit designs...? I've liked the older poser Version alot.
  • xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited July 2019

+1 for both!

Or a MD to Zbrush (to Daz)? With an accent on retopo, UV and added outfit details? (I too liked your older ZBrush tut.)

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Fixme12 said:
    @DarkEdgeDesign any chance to see a New Zbrush tutorial projects? Character and outfit designs...? I've liked the older poser Version alot.

Oh to be able to afford both Marvelous Designer AND ZBrush! Thank goodness for Blender.

• @xmasrose everything shown in the video can be performed in MD7 with the exception of drawing lines (or points) on the clothing...I'm not 100% sure on that but I believe that is the case.
  • The update went out yesterday sometime for the G8 figure arrangement point files. Yay Daz staff, thank you so much!!
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,682

I found it in my DIM when I opened it this morning. My thanks.

Mary

• I am honored that you enjoy and learn from my tutorials, I've always felt if I could help just one person then it was all worth it! I can definitely create a ZB tut. I just created a military backpack for the same outfit, loads of detailing, kind of even pushed my own limits! I think what would make the most sense is to carry forward this outfit into ZB then bring into Daz. Would you be interested in the process of creating the MD military backpack? Would you be interested in Daz rigging for this outfit? Would you be interested in Daz JCM's (joint controlled morphs) for all of the above?
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    I am honored that you enjoy and learn from my tutorials, I've always felt if I could help just one person then it was all worth it! I can definitely create a ZB tut. I just created a military backpack for the same outfit, loads of detailing, kind of even pushed my own limits! I think what would make the most sense is to carry forward this outfit into ZB then bring into Daz. Would you be interested in the process of creating the MD military backpack? Would you be interested in Daz rigging for this outfit? Would you be interested in Daz JCM's (joint controlled morphs) for all of the above?

Very certainly! And also some cloth outfit retopo Zbrush to finished studio. Only tutorials 'm interested in on this place, and your older poser one's where great. Also how to solve HD morphs in Zbrush would be great, as this tools kept away from the community wich is kind of lame actually, since many ask for it, without become PA intention or make money from their hobby.
  • missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 918
    I am honored that you enjoy and learn from my tutorials, I've always felt if I could help just one person then it was all worth it! I can definitely create a ZB tut. I just created a military backpack for the same outfit, loads of detailing, kind of even pushed my own limits! I think what would make the most sense is to carry forward this outfit into ZB then bring into Daz. Would you be interested in the process of creating the MD military backpack? Would you be interested in Daz rigging for this outfit? Would you be interested in Daz JCM's (joint controlled morphs) for all of the above?

I would be interested in that and more. There are lots of MD tutorials out there, but what is sorely lacking is the process of importing to DAZ. So, I'd also be interested in other types of clothing (jacket, dresses) and how to deal with weight-mapping when importing to DAZ. Or, how to make clothing in MD that can be dforced in DAZ properly (I think Arki has a clothing dforce tutorial but I understand they work from Hexagon rather than MD). 

Right now I just "cheat"--I import the final pose into MD to simulate, and then export the simulated cloth back to DAZ.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I'd also be interested in other types of clothing (jacket, dresses) and how to deal with weight-mapping when importing to DAZ. Or, how to make clothing in MD that can be dforced in DAZ properly (I think Arki has a clothing dforce tutorial but I understand they work from Hexagon rather than MD).

+1

I'd love something like this. And JCMs, too!

• Okay I'll see what I can put together for creating a jacket that would compliment the outfit from the just released videos. This will include some ZB work, high def normal map creation (winkles and folds) then bring into Daz for rigging. There are pitfalls to look out for when creating/rigging stuff for Daz so I will go over those and incorporate our design to maneuver around those possible issues. That's a lot of info so I'll do my best to condense it, we'll have to see how that one plays out as I'm editing the videos. smiley

• Thanks looks good!

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,638

Okay I'll see what I can put together for creating a jacket that would compliment the outfit from the just released videos. This will include some ZB work, high def normal map creation (winkles and folds) then bring into Daz for rigging. There are pitfalls to look out for when creating/rigging stuff for Daz so I will go over those and incorporate our design to maneuver around those possible issues. That's a lot of info so I'll do my best to condense it, we'll have to see how that one plays out as I'm editing the videos. smiley

That sounds like an EXCELLENT idea! Luthbel's clothes have taught me that the key to the photorealism I seek is in modeled wrinkles and folds (that don't distort the texture).

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,061
    edited July 2019
    It would be nice to see a tutorial on how to take clothing made in MD and properly fit it in Daz Studio or how to create fitting morphs for it for different base characters. Because after creating the clothing, there's still a lot to do yet.
    Post edited by Seven193 on
  • thekiwiwhoflewthekiwiwhoflew Posts: 36
    edited July 2019

DarkEdgeDesign, I can't wait to see a tutorial about how to import assets from other programs into DAZ! I have to admit, Hexagon just wasn't my bag after Blender and Maya.

I started modelling for architectural designs, but Daz has made me really curious about learning how to model clothes. I love Rococo and Italian Renaissance fashions but there’s so few of them in Daz, I would love to learn how to make some! 

What would be be best for a beginner trained in Blender and Maya— Zbrush or MD? I'm a relative n00b to modelling- I started on Blender about 6 months ago and Maya 3 months ago. I've never worked on human or organic figures. I want to take a class for beginners and I'm torn on whether to take a class on Zbrush or MD. What would seasoned Daz artists reccomend?

For other people interested in learning but worried about the price, registration for the new term of CG Master Academy begins next week and they offer classes in both MD and ZBrush. You should be able to get access to the student versions Zbrush and MD through CGMA. So far I’ve only taken one class with them but it’s been awesome- great professor, pretty solid class forum, really good feedback. 

I believe there’s also a similar online education program for Video Game art. (*Edit: Game Art Institute)

The good thing about these programs is the classes are open which is rare in art education. Instead of signing up for an entire program you can sign up for individual classes. The higher classes have pre requisites but you can also submit a portfolio to show you meet the requirements of the pre reqs.

Post edited by thekiwiwhoflew on
  • DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited July 2019

Hi Kiwi, the difference between organic and in-organic is night and day in terms of the final outcome, but many of the same apps are used to create both! Can you create clothing (organic) from box modeling? Yes, some artists and still doing this in combination with traditional apps (Max/Maya/Blender) and ZBrush...but for realism nothing beats Marvelous Designer. MD provides draping and wrinkles that can only be mimicked otherwise, along with the ability of real-time adjustment to patterns, MD is the clothing "go-to" tool for the gaming industry and will continue to stay that way for some time.

Everyone learns differently. I believe some courses are good at learning the user interface but might be lacking in actual artist "magic", but the reverse can also be said...it's a fine line. When I first started it was easier to learn the user interface on my own, I wanted to learn the "magic" watching an artist work their craft. Most artists tend to stay in their lane (organic or in-organic) while some us, like myself, wander down the middle of the road! lol

Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I wish tutorials didn’t use zbrush so much. Not everyone can afford it. MD is expensive enough befor adding any other programs. Downloading at the moment, so will seE what you can teach me in these videos.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited July 2019
    Wilmap said:

I wish tutorials didn’t use zbrush so much. Not everyone can afford it. MD is expensive enough befor adding any other programs. Downloading at the moment, so will seE what you can teach me in these videos.

Agreed. Blender is getting better with each release and many hobbyists can't afford ZBrush or Maya or Cinema 4D. I bought MD8 at a very special offer price and have since been looking around for tutorials (either free or reasonably priced). What I need is something that covers the inter-operability between MD and DAZ Studio - that means export/import settings (OBJ, FBX, MDD, etc.), animated drapes, animated characters, posed characters, texturing and materials that will work in DAZ Studio. I have been finding it really difficult to find tutorials covering these aspects with both applications in mind, or adding Blender to the mix when necessary.

Post edited by marble on
  • The next tutorial is finished with the following chapters...

• Design Considerations
    • Retopology in MD and ZBrush, ZBrush Projections
    • MD Exporting, Morphs, ZBrush Normal Map Creation
    • MD Morphs, Rigging Daz JCM's, MD Morph Targets
    • Daz Rigid Follow Nodes, MD Draping, Creating Character Fittings

Maybe a week or two for video editing and "stuff" wink

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

The next tutorial is finished with the following chapters...

• Design Considerations
    • Retopology in MD and ZBrush, ZBrush Projections
    • MD Exporting, Morphs, ZBrush Normal Map Creation
    • MD Morphs, Rigging Daz JCM's, MD Morph Targets
    • Daz Rigid Follow Nodes, MD Draping, Creating Character Fittings

Maybe a week or two for video editing and "stuff" wink

Thanks for the lessons including zbrush. It's all about investing in your craft.