-HOLY SMOKES! AN UPDATE!- Carrara Challenge V: Movie Night - Work In Progress (WIP) thread.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

gah, sorry about that, don't you hate it when the software just doesn't do it's job.....
    did you try 7zip when it was a zip file?
    seems to ring a bell, the suggestion originally was Fenric's by the way.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    gah, sorry about that, don't you hate it when the software just doesn't do it's job.....

Yeah, that worked!!! I am sincerely grateful, I thought that I had lost it forever, I owe you one!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Great advice headwax!

Strange behavior and longer save and load times is why I avoid saving as compressed files. I have more than enough HD space, so I figure, why take the risk?

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Just an observation, but I have found that when using 7-Zip there is no need to change the suffix to .zip with compressed .car and .duf files. Simply right click on the file and select extract here. It then creates an unzipped/uncompressed file with NO suffix to which you can then add the appropriate suffix.

And I agree, it is a great tip headwax!

edited November 2013

My first scene is coming along.

I made a movie screen with the spline modeler and walls for the theater and wall light sconces with the spline modeler. The ceiling is just squashed cube primitives. The shaders for the walls, ceiling, and light sconces are all simple shaders that I made in Carrara.

I duplicated, scaled and grouped the corrugated wall sections as needed.

Edited to add screen shot of spot render.

Picture_4.png
    650 x 497 - 93K
    Picture_3.png
    733 x 639 - 93K
    Picture_2.png
    910 x 728 - 161K
    Picture_1.png
    807 x 601 - 105K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited December 1969

Well, because all the humans in Holocene Park are female. We've engineered them that way.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    head wax said:

Yeah, that worked!!! I am sincerely grateful, I thought that I had lost it forever, I owe you one!

glad that worked :) ! You don't owe me anything, I think it goes the other way round. Cheers. :)

edited December 1969

My first scene is coming along.

I made a movie screen with the spline modeler and walls for the theater and wall light sconces with the spline modeler. The ceiling is just squashed cube primitives. The shaders for the walls, ceiling, and light sconces are all simple shaders that I made in Carrara.

I duplicated, scaled and grouped the corrugated wall sections as needed.

Edited to add screen shot of spot render.

ha ha Evil I just took a proper look at this, great idea :)

edited December 1969

I'm still working on the lighting and I'm going to make some more props to fill out the scene and add a couple more dinosaurs. I'm hoping it will get a chuckle or two. ;-)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited December 1969

Here is an attempt to use the spline modeler to make an old television. I'll make the antenna separately.

TV_Spline_Rendered.JPG
    476 x 421 - 30K
    TV_Spline_Parts.JPG
    616 x 586 - 60K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Here is an attempt to use the spline modeler to make an old television. I'll make the antenna separately.

I like it! Great job diomede!

edited December 1969

So here in its raw rendered state is my image - "3D Cinema: It's almost like being there!".

Apart from the Avatar / Na'Vi character which is a modified Genesis, all the characters are Predatron's Lorenzo LoRes and Loretta LoRes. I used a couple of plugin's for this, Fenric's Tree Duplicator (from Posing Pack 3) to duplicate the figures, and a new shader from Sparrowhawke that I asked him to develop - it is only at Alpha stage at present, so it is not yet generally available, but allows each duplicated instance to have different colors, etc. It works well and hopefully will be generally available soon.

Anyway, I hope you like it, I'll probably do a little postwork before posting a final version (can't help fiddling with images!).

2000 x 1500 - 401K
    edited December 1969

Phil, that's a great idea and render!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Great job with the spline modeller, I had a TV that looked similar to that ;) ... for me the spline thingy is doing my head in ^&^%$

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    diomede64 said:

Great job with the spline modeller, I had a TV that looked similar to that ;) ... for me the spline thingy is doing my head in ^&^%$

I was working on a model in the VM today and setting up shading domains and morph targets. I think I feel the same way about the VM as you feel about the Spline modeler!

I may give myself another headache and try and make some popcorn in the metaball modeler!

edited November 2013

Here's a render that's getting pretty close to being done.

It's title is more of a caption really:

"I hear the little apes are very realistic!"

"Those things are really creepy!"

Holocene_Park_screening.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 986K
    edited December 1969

looking good EP

I can imagine what the rush out the door would be like at the end of the movie ;)

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Image for the screen. Fog / Cloud is volumetric.

ncamp

Public_Safety.png
    1920 x 1440 - 2M
    edited December 1969

I've added some Spline Objects: Curtains, Roof, and Columns. Still building the scene.

ncamp

Movie_Scene_3.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    edited December 1969

EP & ncamp - these are coming on really well, I'm loving the concepts for both!

edited December 1969

ncamp, that theater is looking really nice! It has that classic movie palace feel to it. I can't wait to see this one when it's finished!

Everybody is doing great work! I would like to see even more artists contribute WIPs!

edited November 2013

ncamp, that theater is looking really nice! It has that classic movie palace feel to it. I can't wait to see this one when it's finished!

Everybody is doing great work! I would like to see even more artists contribute WIPs!

Thanks, there are elements from my memory of the movie theater from my home town. Built in the 20's. (Small town in Georgia)

Now, it has been updated to a two screen theater, and has lost all of it's old charm.

This version is cleaner, and does not have ashtrays built into the arms of the seats.

I am learning from the challenge, the curtains would have been difficult in the vertex modeler, but were a piece of cake in the spline modeler.

Good luck everyone.

ncamp

Post edited by ncamp on
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    So here in its raw rendered state is my image - "3D Cinema: It's almost like being there!".

Apart from the Avatar / Na'Vi character which is a modified Genesis, all the characters are Predatron's Lorenzo LoRes and Loretta LoRes. I used a couple of plugin's for this, Fenric's Tree Duplicator (from Posing Pack 3) to duplicate the figures, and a new shader from Sparrowhawke that I asked him to develop - it is only at Alpha stage at present, so it is not yet generally available, but allows each duplicated instance to have different colors, etc. It works well and hopefully will be generally available soon.

Anyway, I hope you like it, I'll probably do a little postwork before posting a final version (can't help fiddling with images!).

@PhilW. Great use of Fenric's new plugin. Glad you were able to salvage your files.

@ncamp. I know what you mean about losing the old theaters. I was lucky enough to see Ben Hur and Bridge Over the River Kwai in an old theater in my town before it was converted. Totally different experience.

@EP. I'd love to see metaball popcorn. Go for it.

@Stezza. I think I'm going to get a handle on the spline modeler 2 days too late for this months contest. I feel your pain. But, when I break objects down to component parts, I can do OK with the shape. I'm really struggling with shading.

Speaking of shading, this is my second WIP for my entry with the old TV. This WIP was done entirely to test using the TV screen as a light source. I used anything glows. The cow is there just to have something to test the lighting. Similarly, I don't really plan to have the Rocketeer or Singing in the Rain on the screen. Believe it or not, there is an old style antenna on top of the TV now.

TV_entry_second_WIP.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    edited November 2013

diomede64 said:
    PhilW said:

@PhilW. Great use of Fenric's new plugin. Glad you were able to salvage your files.

@ncamp. I know what you mean about losing the old theaters. I was lucky enough to see Ben Hur and Bridge Over the River Kwai in an old theater in my town before it was converted. Totally different experience.

@EP. I'd love to see metaball popcorn. Go for it.

@Stezza. I think I'm going to get a handle on the spline modeler 2 days too late for this months contest. I feel your pain. But, when I break objects down to component parts, I can do OK with the shape. I'm really struggling with shading.

Speaking of shading, this is my second WIP for my entry with the old TV. This WIP was done entirely to test using the TV screen as a light source. I used anything glows. The cow is there just to have something to test the lighting. Similarly, I don't really plan to have the Rocketeer or Singing in the Rain on the screen. Believe it or not, there is an old style antenna on top of the TV now.

Great job diomede! Whatever you stick on the screen, using AG and the glow channel really helps to sell the light source!

I'm working on lip-syncing a custom figure-it's a stylized old fashioned 'toon microphone. I kept the mouth morphs simple- Maybe too simple. It's probably going to look like a muppet flapping it's mouth. :lol: The popcorn may have to wait for my deadline to pass!

edited December 1969

Thanks EP. I really didn't think a spline object would work very well with anything glows, despite the anything part of the name. I was under the impression it worked better with vertex objects with a dense mesh. It should work fine for what I have in mind. I am learning a lot from this challenge.

edited December 1969

OK, last WIP for a while. This should make it clear where I was going with the TV and the glow channel. The components of the TV were all modeled in the spline modeler. The texture for the screen is a gradient with a spot function. The TV screen is an anything glows light. The child is Daz's The Kids4. The child's gown was modeled and uvmapped in the vertex modeler and rigged using the DS transfer utility. The hair is the Amaya hair, but I'll switch to Carrara strand hair before the contest deadline. I'll tweak it more before the entry date. One idea I have is to make a modern flat-screen TV, then put this Poltergeist render on that screen, and have another kid approaching that TV. But, we'll see about that.

poltergeist_WIP_final.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    edited December 1969

'They're here!'

Thank goodness we have all gone digital signal now... don't have to freak out every time the signal was lost on the old VHF TV!

I have persevered with the spline modeller and this is the best I can come up with..

Better than nothing I guess... lol

puzzle5.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    edited December 1969

stezza, better than mine :) mind you I am armed to the teeth after evil's tut!
    dioemede, the tv looks great, as does the glow
    and ncamp, what a great scene! reminecent of 1984! (btw "reminds" is usually spelt without an e. But my spelling is lousy !!)

edited November 2013

This is the stage I'm up to now... not sure why I added Marvin I guess he is very, very angry at Robbie for nicking the donuts

I think the title of the image will be : Forbidden Donuts

Purchased and or Carrara items that have been retextured or used are:

Genesis - retextured using freaky skins
    Vincents Hair
    Blank Boi - my own retexturing
    Silky Dress & shoes - retextured using freaky skins
    Uranus - from the Carrara Space Scene tab
    Carrara Terrain - modified and retextured using the free MC CProMaster shaders

WIP_Concept_Colour_Forbidden_Donuts.jpg
    600 x 450 - 255K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    stezza, better than mine :) mind you I am armed to the teeth after evil's tut!
    dioemede, the tv looks great, as does the glow
    and ncamp, what a great scene! reminecent of 1984! (btw "reminds" is usually spelt without an e. But my spelling is lousy !!)

Thanks for the spell check. :-)

ncamp