-HOLY SMOKES! AN UPDATE!- Carrara Challenge V: Movie Night - Work In Progress (WIP) thread.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Stezza, that looks awesome! You're really taking the Spline by the metaballs! I mean the bull by the horns! ;-)

I'll work something up for a bit of a tutorial today or tomorrow. It'll be fairly basic. I have a deadline approaching for a video project I'm working on.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Well I had an odd hour or two today so I started work on an idea I have. The most challending part of my idea involved creating a Avatar-ish type character, so I used Genesis and played with its morphs, plus I added a custom nose morph in Carrara. At the moment the skin shader just adds a simple cyan-blue multiplier, I may look at producing a custom map for more detail. Also added some Carrara hair. But as a first pass, this looks OK to me, plus the eventual setting will be quite dark anyway...

All feedback welcomed.

600 x 800 - 28K
    edited December 1969

Nice work Phil! I can't wait to see how this looks when finished!

edited December 1969

A second component of my scene - cinema seating, quickly modelled to only include the bits that will be visible. I am going to have to think of something that I can do in the spline editor...

CinemaSeating.jpg
    640 x 480 - 32K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798
    edited December 1969

I need some help please....

not with the spline modeller...%^#@*&

but another problem which I saw the answer for in another thread and now I can't find that topic!

I have created Robbie's brain thing for his head and I want the red glow shaders to show through the transparency as glowing..

Can someone direct me to that thread or provide the answer here thanks... Can't for the life of me get it

Thanks...

puzzle4.jpg
    500 x 326 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    I need some help please....

not with the spline modeller...%^#@*&

but another problem which I saw the answer for in another thread and now I can't find that topic!

I have created Robbie's brain thing for his head and I want the red glow shaders to show through the transparency as glowing..

Can someone direct me to that thread or provide the answer here thanks... Can't for the life of me get it

Thanks...

You mean you want the 3D aura? I remember the thread. I don't have it bookmarked. I think light effects worked, but I'm not sure about the aura. Try setting up your glass shader with the transparency and refraction that you want, then go to the alpha channel and try setting it to around 50% to start with, and work your way down fro there. The glow aura may have to be exaggerated.

The other possibility is to set a bulb in there with a 3D light sphere. That doesn't seem to need an alpha channel. It does need a light though.

edited December 1969

If you don't need the aura, the glow will shine through fine without the need to set an alpha channel. Your picture looks like the glow needs to be bumped up.

edited December 1969

You mean you want the 3D aura? I remember the thread. I don't have it bookmarked. I think light effects worked, but I'm not sure about the aura. Try setting up your glass shader with the transparency and refraction that you want, then go to the alpha channel and try setting it to around 50% to start with, and work your way down fro there.

thanks ep .. that has worked for me :)

Concept_Colour_Forbidden_small.jpg
    900 x 550 - 360K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Gee I just stopped in today and I am gob smacked by the work so far.
    That squid is amazing!!

stezza, that Robot (Robby ?) is superb and Phil W there's no critique on your avatar I would be game to offer!
    I think it;s shaping up to be a ripper challenge.
    Me, I am still fluffing around trying to make an ai/eps for a film reel to bring into the spline room.
    BY looking at evil's peice I shopuld just do it in the spline room.
    Note to self, read directions on spline room while wife is cooking dinner :)

My question. I made the first image in ps, imported into illustrator and exported as an ai file
    It comes into the spline room and gives me a complete square with all the circles hidden in
    which I converted into a mesh
    and am chiselling away the unwanted parts

what would be the easiest way to do this in spline room?

thanks in advance

(example of what I want at bottom)

untitled.jpg
    251 x 201 - 8K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    958 x 841 - 121K
    formoviereesmalll.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 56K
    edited December 1969

Stezza - that's looking amazing!

HeadWax - I don't know about importing files from drawing programs, but the basic shape shouldn't be difficult to do in the spline room. Use the circle tool to draw your outer and inner circles (you can copy and paste identical ones), and then select them all and use the menu Arrange->Combine as Compound, and any circles within the outer circle will become holes. That should get you close.

edited December 1969

thanks PhilW, I have your excellent tuts, haven't had a chance to watch the spline part yet. Thanks for your advice on this! cheers :)

edited November 2013

Some extra props for my scene, the pop corn tub was done in the spline modeller, as were the arms of the glasses. I tried doing the frames for the glasses there too, but it was a lot simpler in the vertex modeller! The light effects are a spot with light cone and gel, combined with a bulb with a lens flare. I added blurred reflections to the plane, with such a simple scene it rendered very quickly anyway.

CinemaProps.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

Hey Headwax, the way Phil said to add holes is the way to go! I wanted to just add, it will be easier to add the shapes and conbine as compound before creating your next layer or whatever it's called.

edited December 1969

NIce Popcorn tub Phil! I wondered if popcorn is as popular in the old country at the movies as it is here.

I'll post a brief tutorial on how I would make Headwax' film reel.

1) I added 6 vertices to the extrusion path.

2) I used the oval/circle tool to make a large circle (press shift while drawing it to constrain to a circle). I then went to Sections--> Center to center the circle.

3) I drew another circle and sized it and positioned to where I wanted it, then copied and pasted the circle three more times, positioning the new circle between each paste function.

4) I drew another smaller circle for the hub hole. I also added four additional small holes.

5) I selected all the circles and went to Arrange--> Combine as Compound.

To be continued...

Picture_8.png
    720 x 575 - 27K
    Picture_30.png
    221 x 153 - 18K
    Picture_4.png
    615 x 588 - 19K
    Picture_2.png
    235 x 221 - 22K
    Picture_3.png
    990 x 754 - 37K
    edited December 1969

Continued:

6) I went to Sections--> Create. This copied the shape from the previous section and carried it into the current section.

7) On the right side of the screen is the section's general tab. Make sure Fill and Disconnect from next are selected.

8) Go to Sections--> Create. In the section that is created, delete the compound shape. Now draw a large circle. This will be the film roll. Add a smaller circle for the hub (I forgot to do this in my example) and combine as compound. Make sure the the Fill checkbox is enabled.

9) Sections-->Create and make sure the Disconnect from next and fill checkboxes are enabled.

10) Sections-->Create, Delete the film roll compound shape and copy and paste the reel shape from the first section and paste it into the new section. Make sure the Fill checkbox is enabled.

11) Sections-->Create for the final section.

To be continued...

Picture_14.png
    427 x 440 - 79K
    Picture_13.png
    248 x 205 - 14K
    Picture_11.png
    598 x 611 - 27K
    Picture_12.png
    244 x 129 - 11K
    Picture_10.png
    255 x 230 - 23K
    edited November 2013

Continues:

You will notice that the shapes have a bit of a gap between them. That's okay, we can fix that!

12) Go to Geometry--> Extrusion Envelope--> Symmetrical. Select one of your isometric views such as Left, Right, Top or Bottom.

13) Select a vertice in the extrusion line (not the envelope) and move the points where you have gaps closer together. The end points may need to be moved in as well to narrow the sides of the reel edge. Hold shift while moving the vertices to constrain them to a straight line.

14) OPTIONAL! To add a curve to the reel edges, add a vertice in-between the two sections that make form it, and in the envelope, move the vertices up a bit so that it forms a peak. Use the curve vertice tool to curve the line in the envelope. Note: The screen shot is not from my example. I wanted something a little bit easier to see

To be continued...

Picture_31.png
    437 x 671 - 35K
    Picture_21.png
    273 x 220 - 20K
    Picture_19.png
    365 x 180 - 5K
    Picture_18.png
    360 x 204 - 25K
    Picture_17.png
    413 x 608 - 16K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited November 2013

Continues:

15) go to Geometry--> Surface fidelity to increase the quality of the surface. 300% is the max.

16) your model should be done. If you want to define specific shading domains you'll need to convert it to a vertex model.

17) Image is an example of an added shading domain. The model will be a mess of triangles, but if the geometry in the final render looks fine you could probably leave it alone.

Picture_23.png
    376 x 576 - 63K
    Picture_29.png
    534 x 511 - 88K
    Picture_27.png
    525 x 636 - 160K
    Picture_21.png
    273 x 220 - 20K
    Picture_22.png
    165 x 177 - 17K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Great tutorial, and a nicely textured end result too! Though I don't really like the way that splines usually convert to a mess of triangles if you convert to a vertex model, it makes it difficult to do any further modifications. I think it is best used for objects (or object parts) that have one all-over materil and can be kept as a spline.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tutorial, EP. That is a big help.

edited December 1969

EP, well, wow.!! Thank you so much for that! What a wonderful explanation. ! Really appreciate the time and expertise and clarity.

now let's see, I am having trouble modelling the three headed dog I need for my render in the spline room. Each head must have eighteenth teeth and a forked tongue which is able to lick the innermost limits of it's ear.... (not rear)

:) Just kidding. Really appreciate your help. Thank you!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Great tutorial, and a nicely textured end result too! Though I don't really like the way that splines usually convert to a mess of triangles if you convert to a vertex model, it makes it difficult to do any further modifications. I think it is best used for objects (or object parts) that have one all-over materil and can be kept as a spline.

To be honest, I think my preference would be to do it as separate objects, keep them as spline objects and group them together in the Assembly room, just for the reasons you mentioned. I did it as one object just to show that with some planning, complex (or semi-complex) objects can be made with the spline modeler.

edited December 1969

Looks like rainy days and Sundays in the spline room for me... :coolhmm:

Thanks EP

edited December 1969

head wax said:

now let's see, I am having trouble modelling the three headed dog I need for my render in the spline room. Each head must have eighteenth teeth and a forked tongue which is able to lick the innermost limits of it's ear.... (not rear)

Okay, to do this:

1) Unbutton your trousers.

2) Pull them and your undergarments (if any) down around your ankles.

3) Remove joint constraints. You'll need the extra flexibility for the next step.

5) Bend over and position your head between your legs just so that it is sticking out rearward slightly.

6) Bend your neck further so that the top of your head is pointing more or less upward.

7) With a sharp thrust upwards, insert your head into your anus.

8) From this perspective you should now realize that making a three headed dog in the Spline modeler is the least of your worries!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding everybody! :lol:

edited November 2013

I have hit a problem with my project - I can't reload it! I am getting the message below. Fortunately I have a reasonable render from it, but I can't do any final tweaking without recreating the scene, which I am loathe to do - it was quite a complex and busy scene, but mostly with relatively lo-poly resources.

The file location seems to refer to folders that are either hidden or simply not there! Anyone have any ideas to see if this is recoverable? I am on Windows 8 64-bit.

Carrara_85_End_of_File_Message.jpg
    435 x 162 - 43K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Okay, to do this:

1) Unbutton your trousers.

2) Pull them and your undergarments (if any) down around your ankles.

3) Remove joint constraints. You'll need the extra flexibility for the next step.

5) Bend over and position your head between your legs just so that it is sticking out rearward slightly.

6) Bend your neck further so that the top of your head is pointing more or less upward.

7) With a sharp thrust upwards, insert your head into your anus.

8) From this perspective you should now realize that making a three headed dog in the Spline modeler is the least of your worries!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding everybody! :lol:

hey I already tried that yesterday , I had to get my 87 year old neighbour to come over with some baby shampoo to help the extraction process... lucky she used to be a nurse, or that's what she said, she keeps inviting me over for jam and scones now....

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I have hit a problem with my project - I can't reload it! I am getting the message below. Fortunately I have a reasonable render from it, but I can't do any final tweaking without recreating the scene, which I am loathe to do - it was quite a complex and busy scene, but mostly with relatively lo-poly resources.

The file location seems to refer to folders that are either hidden or simply not there! Anyone have any ideas to see if this is recoverable? I am on Windows 8 64-bit.

Hey Phil, I guess you are not saving as a compressed file?
    If you are my only suggestion is to change the car suffix to zip and try unzipping it with an unzipper program
    good luck.!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    PhilW said:

Hey Phil, I guess you are not saving as a compressed file?
    If you are my only suggestion is to change the car suffix to zip and try unzipping it with an unzipper program
    good luck.!

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a compressed file - I know this is going to sound like a really lame question, but how do I change the suffix? Back in the day, you could just edit the name, but you can't do that these days!

edited December 1969

Forget that question, I googled it. But when I tried to open the .zip file, it just said it was an invalid file type.

edited November 2013

hmm, not a lame question, if you are on windows they seem to do their best to hide stuff
    hopefully if you change your view of your directory tree to "detail" it will show the suffixes.
    then just right click on the file and choose "rename"
    erase the car part and put "zip" in
    if you can't see the file types then, you may have to change your folder preferences via... I don't know :) I'll look
    this is under windows btw

edit sorry just saw your answer

err next thing is to try importing it into another car file maybe?

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestion but that did not work either. It gets to around 48% (on load or import) and then blobs out with this message. It seemed to save OK but it did take a long time to do so, so I am guessing that it is corrupted in some way.