[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female(Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,344

Convert your favorite Genesis 3 Female characters to new Genesis 8 Female characters! The Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female transfer the morphs from beloved Genesis 3 characters to the latest generation, Genesis 8. The Character Converter scripts provide easy batch execution for automatically converting your Genesis 3 Female Character to a Genesis 8 Female Character in your library. Even better, icons, categories, and the default materials are copied from your original Genesis 3 Female to the new Genesis 8 Female.

The Character Converter scripts outputs are also a merchant resource! If you own the original Genesis 3 morphs, you retain the rights to the converted Genesis 8 morphs to do as you wish.

The new Character Converter script is extremely simple to use. Just select the characters to convert and click execute! There is also a Convert Scene Character script which will copy a Genesis 3 Female character in the scene, with all currently used morphs, to a Genesis 8 Female character (no character preset is created and no materials are copied).

The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 3 characters.  Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes.  The Character converter script does not copy joint corrective morphs (JCMs) or morph corrective morphs (MCMs) properly, which can cause problems with some poses for your converted characters.  (As of the September update, the Character Converter can now convert JCMS). Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout.  Please see the product ReadMe for full details.

Features

• Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female:
    • Character Converter Script (.DSE)
    • Convert Scene Character Script (.DSE)
    • Detailed user Guide (.PDF)

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

Comments

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,403

Whoo-hoo!  Hurray, someone is finally making a product for this!  I never could figure out how to do the conversion, so this will be a must-have for me (as soon as I get some money, anyway). 

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

It will be interesting to see how this compares to SingularBlue's script. Obviously this has more functionality and versatility, and simplicity of use, going by the images posted above.  And I hope this is a sign of things to come for males and for othere generations, too.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

Small content-bearing error in popup_5.jpg: "your new, converted hair" should probably be "your new, converted character", I think.

A question about the merchant resource paragraph: I'm not a published artist or anything like that, but won't anyone planning to use this to recreate sellable characters need to also have created, not just owned, the character in question? (Sorry, I just remember a couple of weird tussles over language about merchant resources now and again. Since the product page and/or readme are likely to be all the information people really see about merchant resource rights, it helps to be precise up front.)

Practically speaking, unless Daz has done it for you (like with the "Figure 7 for Figure 8" packages), people should either expect to do map transfers to Base Female or get RedzStudio's Genesis 3 UV products if they want to use Figure 7 G3F maps on the characters they transfer to G8F, right?

All that aside, this looks like it will be an interesting product. I hope it sells well enough to justify trying a male version, as well.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,344

Whoo-hoo!  Hurray, someone is finally making a product for this!  I never could figure out how to do the conversion, so this will be a must-have for me (as soon as I get some money, anyway). 

Thanks.  I hope you will like it.

It will be interesting to see how this compares to SingularBlue's script. Obviously this has more functionality and versatility, and simplicity of use, going by the images posted above.  And I hope this is a sign of things to come for males and for othere generations, too.

I struggled for a bit on what I wanted to make at first.  I decided I didn't want to make a convert-morphs product.  While it would be the most powerful, it would be the hardest to use and you would have to know the most about morphs and all.  I decided I wanted to make it as simple as possible.  To me, it is frustrating to buy something but struggle to use it and get value out of it.

edited July 2019
    vwrangler said:

Small content-bearing error in popup_5.jpg: "your new, converted hair" should probably be "your new, converted character", I think.

A question about the merchant resource paragraph: I'm not a published artist or anything like that, but won't anyone planning to use this to recreate sellable characters need to also have created, not just owned, the character in question? (Sorry, I just remember a couple of weird tussles over language about merchant resources now and again. Since the product page and/or readme are likely to be all the information people really see about merchant resource rights, it helps to be precise up front.)

Practically speaking, unless Daz has done it for you (like with the "Figure 7 for Figure 8" packages), people should either expect to do map transfers to Base Female or get RedzStudio's Genesis 3 UV products if they want to use Figure 7 G3F maps on the characters they transfer to G8F, right?

All that aside, this looks like it will be an interesting product. I hope it sells well enough to justify trying a male version, as well.

Nice eagle eye.  Good catch.

I am not a lawyer. smiley What I was getting at is that you retain whatever rights you have to your morphs and won't lose them because of my product (I am not restricting you).  It will depend entirely on what rights you have to the original morphs.  If you created the morphs yourself, you can do whatever you want.  If you bought the morphs, it depends on what rights they gave you when you bought them. 

For the maps, with the Daz original v7 maps, the maps usually have problems.  I have had a lot of luck with other characters.  But the converter only copies with the character the maps that are on the character when it is loaded.  Some characters have no maps and will come across with no maps. No material presets are created so smart content will not show the original v7 material presets for the character.  Edit: mostly, the eyes have been problematical copied over.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    xyer0 said:

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smiley

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Awesome!  Are you planning on a product for G8M also? *fingers crossed*

• stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192
    edited July 2019

It may be worth mentioning that there is a product that will help with this problem already in the store:  

"Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout."

It's from RedzStudio (and DazOriginals so you should be able to use the $6 off Daz Original coupon you get monthly if you are a Platinum Club member):  

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female

There is also a Male version if or when RiverSoftArt creates a version of the script for them wink

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-male

Post edited by stuthurso on
  • Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,144

A question to better understand the product - and as it is not a transfer-morphs-product. If I pick a character, dial in some other morphs, save it as a new character preset. Could I convert that preset? And if so, are the several morphs still adjustable or would it be just one "converted-morph" which is dialed in with 100%? 

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    gitika1 said:

or V4 angel

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,743

I struggled for a bit on what I wanted to make at first.  I decided I didn't want to make a convert-morphs product. 

I don't understand. If this product doesn't convert morphs and not UV's, what does it do?

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stop. Just stop. I haven't finished using all my converters yet. ;)

Sigh. Here's my wallet.

<<Rethinks purpose in life.>>

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited July 2019
    Hylas said:

I struggled for a bit on what I wanted to make at first.  I decided I didn't want to make a convert-morphs product. 

I don't understand. If this product doesn't convert morphs and not UV's, what does it do?

I have to admit this is my query as well, along with - will there be a G8 Male version?

Post edited by scorpio on
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

I have to admit this is my query as well, along with - will there be a G8 Male version?

It DOES convert morphs, but instead of "here is a list of morphs, choose which ones, (think GenX2)" it concentrates on making it easy to just select a character and it will convert the used morphs for that character.

gitika1 said:

Yes, I am.  I just ran out of time.

gitika1 said:
    It may be worth mentioning that there is a product that will help with this problem already in the store:  
    stuthurso said:

"Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout."

It's from RedzStudio (and DazOriginals so you should be able to use the $6 off Daz Original coupon you get monthly if you are a Platinum Club member):  

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-female

There is also a Male version if or when RiverSoftArt creates a version of the script for them wink

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-character-uvs-for-genesis-8-male

Thank you for mentioning that.

A question to better understand the product - and as it is not a transfer-morphs-product. If I pick a character, dial in some other morphs, save it as a new character preset. Could I convert that preset? And if so, are the several morphs still adjustable or would it be just one "converted-morph" which is dialed in with 100%? 

Yes.  The script converts ALL used morphs separately so they are available on the G8F.  (BTW, you don't have to save the character preset.  You can just spin dial in some morphs in a scene and it will convert those over, and create a controller property.  It wouldn't create the character preset in this case)

Sigurd said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL laugh

Stop. Just stop. I haven't finished using all my converters yet. ;)

Sigh. Here's my wallet.

<<Rethinks purpose in life.>>

Why thank you! smiley  I will take good care of your wallet and return it like new cheeky

edited July 2019
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

It DOES convert morphs, but instead of "here is a list of morphs, choose which ones, (think GenX2)" it concentrates on making it easy to just select a character and it will convert the used morphs for that character.

Got it! yes

This looks like a really cool product! If this is going to be a series of products like your hair and clothing converters... I'd be very interested in a version that converts G2 and Genesis characters to G8! (Getting way ahead again, so sorry!smiley)

Post edited by Hylas on
    Hylas said:
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

Got it! yes

This looks like a really cool product! If this is going to be a series of products like your hair and clothing converters... I'd be very interested in a version that converts G2 and Genesis characters to G8! (Getting way ahead again, so sorry!smiley)

Interesting.  That is two people that have written that they are interested in earlier generations.  I would have thought that that market would have already been fulfilled by other offerings and nobody would want earlier generations.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    Hylas said:
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

Got it! yes

Interesting.  That is two people that have written that they are interested in earlier generations.  I would have thought that that market would have already been fulfilled by other offerings and nobody would want earlier generations.

There are several characters (pre-G8) that have no equivelant in Genesis 8, and some characters that did make it to G8 but were inferior to earlier versions (Like Lee 8 is nowhere near as good as Lee 6 in appearance, in many people's opinions). So yes, converters for Genesis, G2 and G3 would be welcome by many customers (and possibly earlier generations, but that would be much harder to achieve).

• missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 918
    edited July 2019
    Hylas said:
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

Got it! yes

I think that there would be an audience, since GenX basically transfers morphs rather than characters. I myself didn't get into the game until G3, but I know others have dial-spun characters they made in earlier generations that they'd love to import over quickly, as opposed to figuring out each dial and transferring those separately.

Edited to add: Sounds like this particular script would also be great in terms of transferring over characters that were made solely from existing morph products (like Saiyaness's characters). In that case, would this product create entirely separate versions of the same dial property (like nose height over and over if the same G3 dial was used in separate characters), or just keep 1 version?

As for those talking about Singular Blues's script, I haven't used it anytime recently, but I was under the impression that that did convert JCMs, etc. But that script is strictly a morph converter.

Post edited by missuskisses on
    Hylas said:
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

Got it! yes

There are several characters (pre-G8) that have no equivelant in Genesis 8, and some characters that did make it to G8 but were inferior to earlier versions (Like Lee 8 is nowhere near as good as Lee 6 in appearance, in many people's opinions). So yes, converters for Genesis, G2 and G3 would be welcome by many customers (and possibly earlier generations, but that would be much harder to achieve).

Thank you for the information.

Hylas said:
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

Got it! yes

I think that there would be an audience, since GenX basically transfers morphs rather than characters. I myself didn't get into the game until G3, but I know others have dial-spun characters they made in earlier generations that they'd love to import over quickly, as opposed to figuring out each dial and transferring those separately.

Edited to add: Sounds like this particular script would also be great in terms of transferring over characters that were made solely from existing morph products (like Saiyaness's characters). In that case, would this product create entirely separate versions of the same dial property (like nose height over and over if the same G3 dial was used in separate characters), or just keep 1 version?

As for those talking about Singular Blues's script, I haven't used it anytime recently, but I was under the impression that that did convert JCMs, etc. But that script is strictly a morph converter.

Only 1 version of a morph is kept.  It either overwrites the morph again and again or just avoids overwriting any morphs (this is an option).  FYI, the overwrite option is significantly slower as I think DS does some housekeeping when you delete a morph that takes awhile.

This script can convert JCMs as long, as they are used.  However, it does not connect the JCMs back up (so that they don't engage when a shoulder pose gets too extreme for example)

I think that there would be an audience, since GenX basically transfers morphs rather than characters.

Not to highjack this thread completely, but could you explain what this means?

Hylas said:
    scorpio said:
    Hylas said:

Got it! yes

Do you mean that there already are ways to transfer preG3 characters up to G3? Perhaps I didn't do my due diligence. I'm aware of the GenX products, although I don't own them (yet). So by using your upcoming G3 -> G8 products together with GenX, I suppose one could get anything up to G8?

Or do you mean that there isn't any interest in preG3 characters? I don't think that's true. I find Michael 5 rather hadsome, I think it'd be fun to have him amongst my G8 characters. And I picked up Azumi for Aiko 5 when it was a bi-weekly freebie, she looks intriguing. Sure, G8 has its own share of white hunks and Asian women... but it would still be fun to also have those older models! I don't know, I guess I'm greedy like that :)