[Released] Character Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female(Now Conv JCMs) [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,344
    Kooreo said:

As for map transfer from one character gen to the other. There is a tool called blacksmith3d that has this feature. They also make a stripped-down version that only transfers skins called Texture Transformer. If these tools can do it I am sure there's a way.

Oh I am sure there is a way.  The question for me is there a way using DS and its scripting API.

edited July 2019
    barbult said:

Here is a map transfer utility tutorial. (I haven't used it, but it looks helpful).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/184696/tutorial-from-map-transfer-to-material-presets/p1

Thanks.  I did see that.  It does look helpful.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited July 2019

It's in the shop now!  Time to have fun!

edit - well, as soon as the store gets it's pricing straightened out.  It's a mess right now      have  and it's working again.In the cart and ka-ching!

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited July 2019

Before I pull the trigger; How well does this do with dial spun characters that include a hefty percentage of 3DU's Toon Generations in their mix? Like 30-50%

Post edited by JOdel on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited July 2019

Bought it at once, but would like to know first, how to avoid duplicate formulas errors.

I do not want to sell characters yet, so I was thinking about creating separate directory for converted characters

and use fictional names for Vendor Names, to keep such characters separate.

Any more ideas?

Post edited by Artini on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    JOdel said:

Before I pull the trigger; How well does this do with dial spun characters that include a hefty percentage of 3DU's Toon Generations in their mix? Like 30-50%

On the previous page it was stated that anime/toon are considered extreme shapes, so will not convert well, I find this disapointing, it those sort of shapes I'd like to convert.

• arne207arne207 Posts: 153
    edited July 2019

Something similar was already asked and answered, but I want to be certain: Does the converter work with characters like "XY for Rune 7" or "XY for Karen 7"? I managed to convert some main characters using the script by Redz, but derivates from those main characters proved to be difficult and often lacked body details, e.g. Brenna for Ophelia 7.

Post edited by arne207 on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,018

Thank you so much for this. 

Ayana was one of the first characters I ever picked up, before I really understood differences between generations or had any idea how heavily I'd end up investing in G8-specific tools and morphs. She's also one of my absolute favorites, and I've been wishing I could transfer her to G8 somehow for a long time. I even attempted it myself--trying the morph transfer workarounds, getting as close as I could by fine-tuning morphs on a G8 base--but it never quite worked right. 

With this I finally have her on G8, and from my testing so far she works perfectly. Here she is with Auto Shape Enhancer applied and using the eye anatomy from Julienne.

Ayana for Genesis 3 Female converted to Genesis 8.

When I get my hands on the male version I'm going to dive through the G3 back catalog like a raccoon. There are so many characters I love but couldn't justify picking up because I just don't have the level of flexibility with G3 that I do with G8. 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

First I'll say that I am very tempted to buy this. Having said that, I do notice that the disclaimer which is stated in the OP of this thread does not appear in the promotional blurb:

The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 3 characters.  Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes.  The Character converter script does not copy joint corrective morphs (JCMs) or morph corrective morphs (MCMs) properly, which can cause problems with some poses for your converted characters.  Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout. 

Moreover, though we are encouraged to read the ReadMe, no link to that ReadMe is present on the promo page (unless I missed it, which is entirely possible).

One question I have which has probably been answerd in this thread but I haven't read all the way through it ... does this allow for the natural fitting of clothing and hair from G3F to a converted G8F?

As for the lack of JCMs/MCMs, I have been through all of my G3 poses and converted them to G8 (there are various scripts and products to do this) so I'm guessing that will, to some degree, alleviate the problem for poses? Or does this product somehow change the basic structure of the G8F figure so as to make posing unreliable?

edited July 2019

I was able to use G8 clothing and hair normally on my converted figure. 

The disclaimer does appear on the promo pictures. For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with posing my converted figures. My guess is that this is mostly going to be a problem for characters like George, who have body mass in places characters usually don't. They often come with JCMs to create the appearance of flesh moving naturally when they bend over or sit, so without those transferred over the G8 version will basically have the same problems the G3 figure would if you dialed out the morphs. 

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • N3p3nth3N3p3nth3 Posts: 129
    arne207 said:

Something similar was already asked and answered, but I want to be certain: Does the converter work with characters like "XY for Rune 7" or "XY for Karen 7"? I managed to convert some main characters using the script by Redz, but derivates from those main characters proved to be difficult and often lacked body details, e.g. Brenna for Ophelia 7.

Brenna and a couple of originally victoria 4, gen x'd to Genesis 3 and then further manually tweaked ladies are also on my list, so interested to hear how this works out.

N3p3nth3 said:
    arne207 said:

Brenna and a couple of originally victoria 4, gen x'd to Genesis 3 and then further manually tweaked ladies are also on my list, so interested to hear how this works out.

Addon characters seem to work! Pic is Shiloh for Lilith 7 and she's identical to her G3 version. 

shiloh.png
    974 x 1717 - 637K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited July 2019
    CheetahGirl04pic01.jpg
    798 x 1200 - 117K
    Post edited by Artini on
    N3p3nth3 said:
    arne207 said:

Addon characters seem to work! Pic is Shiloh for Lilith 7 and she's identical to her G3 version. 

Grabbed! Will post my results with a gen x abomination* when I get home from work and have time to play a bit with this.

*Actually, I'll try DMR Ella (https://www.daz3d.com/dmr-ella), so I'd say abomination's pretty far from what I was going for

Uh, I would post that it is released, but I seem to be very late to the party smiley

Cybersox said:

It's in the shop now!  Time to have fun!

edit - well, as soon as the store gets it's pricing straightened out.  It's a mess right now      have  and it's working again.In the cart and ka-ching!

Thank you!

JOdel said:

I will try to fiddle with this.  Out of the box, there is distortion in the eyes at 100%.  If I fiddle with tolerance, I can probably improve this.

edited July 2019
    Artini said:

Bought it at once, but would like to know first, how to avoid duplicate formulas errors.

I do not want to sell characters yet, so I was thinking about creating separate directory for converted characters

and use fictional names for Vendor Names, to keep such characters separate.

Any more ideas?

The converter will not create a duplicate of an existing morph.  If will either not write it or overwrite it depending on the options.

Edit: I should mention the Overwrite option can be much slower.  The script deletes the old morph before writing the new one and DS takes quite awhile to do that.  It is better to delete the old morph outside of DS so the script doesn't have to do it inside of DS.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • Oh, awesome! Thank goodness this is payday week, too, ahaha. 

On first glance? It might not be the all-in-one Generation X successor that some of us would have hoped for, but I'm just happy there's finally some sort of official character conversion tool out there that I know won't crash DS every time I try to use it. Count me in as someone who'd love to see a G8M version, and I'll do my part to make sure that's a reality.

That said... I'm curious to see how this will handle GenX'ed characters from earlier generations (i.e. Laura 3 to Genesis 3 Female), like if they have the same fidelity or if it's like making a photocopy from a pre-existing photocopy (i.e. bad bends, warped morphs when posing), etc. But given the already amazing quality of RiverSoft's scripts, I don't imagine that would be an issue, if at all. 

arne207 said:

This is no problem.

N3p3nth3 said:
    arne207 said:

Thank you very much for sharing! laugh

Thank you so much for this. 

Ayana was one of the first characters I ever picked up, before I really understood differences between generations or had any idea how heavily I'd end up investing in G8-specific tools and morphs. She's also one of my absolute favorites, and I've been wishing I could transfer her to G8 somehow for a long time. I even attempted it myself--trying the morph transfer workarounds, getting as close as I could by fine-tuning morphs on a G8 base--but it never quite worked right. 

With this I finally have her on G8, and from my testing so far she works perfectly. Here she is with Auto Shape Enhancer applied and using the eye anatomy from Julienne.

Ayana for Genesis 3 Female converted to Genesis 8.

When I get my hands on the male version I'm going to dive through the G3 back catalog like a raccoon. There are so many characters I love but couldn't justify picking up because I just don't have the level of flexibility with G3 that I do with G8. 

You are very welcome!  I am glad you are liking it! smiley  And thank you so much for sharing with others.

N3p3nth3 said:
    N3p3nth3 said:
    arne207 said:

Grabbed! Will post my results with a gen x abomination* when I get home from work and have time to play a bit with this.

*Actually, I'll try DMR Ella (https://www.daz3d.com/dmr-ella), so I'd say abomination's pretty far from what I was going for

LOL.  I look forward to you posting abominations or not quite abominations! smiley

marble said:

First I'll say that I am very tempted to buy this. Having said that, I do notice that the disclaimer which is stated in the OP of this thread does not appear in the promotional blurb:

The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 3 characters.  Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes.  The Character converter script does not copy joint corrective morphs (JCMs) or morph corrective morphs (MCMs) properly, which can cause problems with some poses for your converted characters.  Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout. 

Moreover, though we are encouraged to read the ReadMe, no link to that ReadMe is present on the promo page (unless I missed it, which is entirely possible).

One question I have which has probably been answerd in this thread but I haven't read all the way through it ... does this allow for the natural fitting of clothing and hair from G3F to a converted G8F?

As for the lack of JCMs/MCMs, I have been through all of my G3 poses and converted them to G8 (there are various scripts and products to do this) so I'm guessing that will, to some degree, alleviate the problem for poses? Or does this product somehow change the basic structure of the G8F figure so as to make posing unreliable?

If you click the readme link on the product page (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/62491/start), you should see this under additional details:

The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 3 Female characters. Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes. The Character converter script does not copy joint corrective morphs (JCMs) or morph corrective morphs (MCMs) properly, which can cause problems with some poses for your converted characters. Multi-part characters (e.g., a character that loads a figure and separate horns) cannot be converted. Material presets are also not converted. Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout. Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content. They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button.

The converted characters use Genesis *8* clothing, whether native or converted.  To use Genesis 3 Female clothing without using Autofit, you would need to buy my https://www.daz3d.com/clothing-converter-from-genesis-3-female-to-genesis-8-female

The same goes for poses, whether they are native or converted, will not make a difference in how the converted characters handle them.  It is the extremeness of the poses and of the character which will cause problems without JCMs.

I was able to use G8 clothing and hair normally on my converted figure. 

The disclaimer does appear on the promo pictures. For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with posing my converted figures. My guess is that this is mostly going to be a problem for characters like George, who have body mass in places characters usually don't. They often come with JCMs to create the appearance of flesh moving naturally when they bend over or sit, so without those transferred over the G8 version will basically have the same problems the G3 figure would if you dialed out the morphs. 

George or some extreme characters from Raw Art or JoeQuick are probably going to be the problem characters.

scorpio said:
    JOdel said:

On the previous page it was stated that anime/toon are considered extreme shapes, so will not convert well, I find this disapointing, it those sort of shapes I'd like to convert.

You can always try (tweaking the tolerance can help a lot) and if the product does not work for you, return it.

Finlaena said:

Oh, awesome! Thank goodness this is payday week, too, ahaha. 

On first glance? It might not be the all-in-one Generation X successor that some of us would have hoped for, but I'm just happy there's finally some sort of official character conversion tool out there that I know won't crash DS every time I try to use it. Count me in as someone who'd love to see a G8M version, and I'll do my part to make sure that's a reality.

That said... I'm curious to see how this will handle GenX'ed characters from earlier generations (i.e. Laura 3 to Genesis 3 Female), like if they have the same fidelity or if it's like making a photocopy from a pre-existing photocopy (i.e. bad bends, warped morphs when posing), etc. But given the already amazing quality of RiverSoft's scripts, I don't imagine that would be an issue, if at all. 

I have never used GenX (though I bought it).  I am sure it will be a copy of a copy type thing, though it might not be noticeable.  If you are happy with the GenX shape, you should be happy with the CC shape in G8.

Finlaena said:

Oh, awesome! Thank goodness this is payday week, too, ahaha. 

I have never used GenX (though I bought it).  I am sure it will be a copy of a copy type thing, though it might not be noticeable.  If you are happy with the GenX shape, you should be happy with the CC shape in G8.

I'll do some tests with genx. As I mentioned earlier here, I tried genx with 3 V4 characters and had fairly poor results out of the box with all of them (I'm a new user, so everything I've done is in the last two months). All the characters I got bad results with used morphs++, though, so I picked up a bunch of "vanilla" v4 characters yesterday and will see if I get better fidelity with those. I'll see if I can post renders of a couple of different scenarios both for the purposes of this product and to attempt to convince the author of the necessity of a V4->G8 conversion tool ;)

That said, I'm on a macbook pro, so iray takes time. :)

• This is exciting. And you can add me to the list pf people who would be interested in conversion of males and earlier generations. I had that texture transfer tool for my V4 skins and some other geograph thing from here. They are hard for me to use. This looks like it should work easier for someone like me. I've used a lot of your converters for other things so if this works as well/easy as those I would def be interested in other generations. I used V4 before. I only dabbled in Genesis until G3. I love G8 more than I thought I would. This item will solve a problem I had last night when the chatacter I wanted to use was G3 but I needed G8. Plus, this will help me keep using the same face morph for my OC from G3 on G8.
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    marble said:

If you click the readme link on the product page (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/62491/start), you should see this under additional details:

The Character Converter script cannot properly convert all Genesis 3 Female characters. Characters with extreme morphs may have problems, especially around the eyes. The Character converter script does not copy joint corrective morphs (JCMs) or morph corrective morphs (MCMs) properly, which can cause problems with some poses for your converted characters. Multi-part characters (e.g., a character that loads a figure and separate horns) cannot be converted. Material presets are also not converted. Default materials copied to your new Genesis 8 characters may have ugly seams and/or misaligned features due to the different UV layout. Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content. They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button.

The converted characters use Genesis *8* clothing, whether native or converted.  To use Genesis 3 Female clothing without using Autofit, you would need to buy my https://www.daz3d.com/clothing-converter-from-genesis-3-female-to-genesis-8-female

The same goes for poses, whether they are native or converted, will not make a difference in how the converted characters handle them.  It is the extremeness of the poses and of the character which will cause problems without JCMs.

Thanks for the answer. I wasn't looking at the product page, I was looking at the store promotion page. The answer about G3F clothing was as expected but I thought I'd check anyway. Thanks again.