What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    inquire said:

I haven't read this entire thread, but I'd like to see version 5 run on the latest version of the Macintosh OS, 10.15. I'm mentioning this because 10.15 is dropping OpenGL and OpenCL in favor of Apple's Metal. Does that mean DS won't be able to render with 10.15? I wish I could get some assurances from DAZ that they are not going to discontinue a Macintosh version, nor ignore the new OS with Metal.

I can't remember about OpenGL, but aren't the OpenCL drivers a separate download for MacOS? I'm sure this was discussed back when dForce clothes were first introduced.

• scorpio said:
    scorpio said:

For the figures to load without every morph set that I have already in them

Set up something like we had in poser with the morph injections where you could have as many or as few as you wanted

God no please - I really don't want to go back to all that hassel. If you like the way Poser does things then use Poser.

What I don't like is having 900 different morphs to sort through to find the correct one

There is no real reason to have every morph load in every figure

There are reasons, for example this way I have everything there when I want to dial spin, I don't suddenly have to pause my work flow to go find where the inj is for a certain morph I might decide is needed, this would take a lot longer to do than simple typing in the search bar.

If you can get usable results from the search bar I envy you as I very seldom can even get it to function and when it does I have days worth of hits to look at provided it hasn't crashed

The saerch (filter) box in the property panes is, I think, what Scorpio means

And once again there's still no reason to have every morph loaded in the figure especially when there are numerous ones that all do the same thing I mean really how many breast large morphs or angry face morphs or open hand close hand fist do you need  in the same figure

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited July 2019
    scorpio said:
    scorpio said:

For the figures to load without every morph set that I have already in them

Set up something like we had in poser with the morph injections where you could have as many or as few as you wanted

God no please - I really don't want to go back to all that hassel. If you like the way Poser does things then use Poser.

What I don't like is having 900 different morphs to sort through to find the correct one

There is no real reason to have every morph load in every figure

There are reasons, for example this way I have everything there when I want to dial spin, I don't suddenly have to pause my work flow to go find where the inj is for a certain morph I might decide is needed, this would take a lot longer to do than simple typing in the search bar.

If you can get usable results from the search bar I envy you as I very seldom can even get it to function and when it does I have days worth of hits to look at provided it hasn't crashed

The saerch (filter) box in the property panes is, I think, what Scorpio means

And once again there's still no reason to have every morph loaded in the figure especially when there are numerous ones that all do the same thing I mean really how many breast large morphs or angry face morphs or open hand close hand fist do you need  in the same figure

That was my assumption as well and I've never had it work in any version of Studio and that's with everything being installed through DIM guess I'm just lucky that way

At least we no longer have to type in xyz coordinates for each vertice point by hand like we did when I first started

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • It's easy to have the focus slip out of the text box if the mouse moves over a slider (or other UI element that responds to mouse-over)

It's easy to have the focus slip out of the text box if the mouse moves over a slider (or other UI element that responds to mouse-over)

I'll keep a watch for that although I really don't know what good it would do if I was to type in a morph name like frown or left eye up and get 70 or 80 morphs all with that name in the figure which is what would happen  

• Filtering can be combined with the groups on the left. And there's always the use of Favourites (usually save a character prset or scene subset and use that to load the figure to get them back, but there's a bug in 4.11.0.383).

• Zan OliverZan Oliver Posts: 10

I would like to see the ability to make the font size bigger.....  

I'd add to this! I've always had poor eyesight, and either that or be able to change the background or font color to make the selections easier to read. I know just trying to fix the older content in smart editor with 'catorgize' is painful to read.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Fixme12 said:

why not ask $ again for a more pro verion of the studio software? = you can hire more devs and develop faster/better tools, that not go down/broken with every upgrade so many great scripts/plugins lost.

If you want to give your money to DAZ I'm sure they'll accept a donation;)

Window- Style- Customize style

You can change the colors If I remeber correctly foreground color changed the color of the fonts

I also had trouble with reading the fonts

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,091

Do you have any link for this? I keep reading that both OpenGL and OpenCL will not apear in 10.15.

I can't remember about OpenGL, but aren't the OpenCL drivers a separate download for MacOS? I'm sure this was discussed back when dForce clothes were first introducReall

Window- Style- Customize style

You can change the colors If I remeber correctly foreground color changed the color of the fonts

I also had trouble with reading the fonts

Boy, I can really sympathize with this. Fortunately, I had cataract operations on both eyes, and that solved the problem. But, yes, changing font sizes would be desirable.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...isn't OpenGL is what the viewport uses?  

kyoto kid said:

...isn't OpenGL is what the viewport uses?  

Well, supposedly Apple has deprecated both OpenGL and OpenCL and only Apple's new Metal will appear in 10.15. (I hope it's not true.)

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,761
    edited July 2019

Since this thread has popped up again, I have something I would want to see, VR support. I got an Oculus Rift S 3 weeks ago and have been playing around with Unity and VR and being in a virtual envrionment,

Daz used to have a "sister site" called Morph3D
    for Unity assets based on game optimized Genesis figures & content.

Now now appears  to have been transitioned to something called "Tafi" 
    https://www.maketafi.com/

It seems vaguely related to VR and supports the "Vive" although it is not very clear what the actual business model is.frown

Post edited by wolf359 on

This not knowing what will happen with the latest Mac OS, 10.15, and DAZ Studio, is causing me angst. I know there are NDAs, but all I'd like to know from DAZ is whether or not they will have a version of DS that will somehow work with Apple's Metal (and hopefully they will). Is there anywhere I could write so that some DAZ spokesperson could get back to me and let me know?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    inquire said:

This not knowing what will happen with the latest Mac OS, 10.15, and DAZ Studio, is causing me angst. I know there are NDAs, but all I'd like to know from DAZ is whether or not they will have a version of DS that will somehow work with Apple's Metal (and hopefully they will). Is there anywhere I could write so that some DAZ spokesperson could get back to me and let me know?

You could perhaps try customer support.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587

Make UI scaleable and fix Opengl add game render engine for animation >>> or just make a direct bridge to New Blender 2.8 problem solved.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

I'd add to this! I've always had poor eyesight, and either that or be able to change the background or font color to make the selections easier to read. I know just trying to fix the older content in smart editor with 'catorgize' is painful to read.

Apparently, making the fonts scalable is too difficult a task. Considering that the font has been the same size since the days when the CRT was king, I would be happy if DAZ would just make them larger as an interim solution. Say, 200% of the current size?
    That would be nice, as I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain that the current font is too large.

• Petercat said:

Apparently, making the fonts scalable is too difficult a task. Considering that the font has been the same size since the days when the CRT was king, I would be happy if DAZ would just make them larger as an interim solution. Say, 200% of the current size?
    That would be nice, as I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain that the current font is too large.

I would complain about a mandatory increase in font size as it wold increase the need for scrolling in lists, such as the Parameters and Surfaces panes. You should already be able to use the OS scaling to affect DS.

• I'd like to see cell fracture, sound synthesis for physics (i.e. when a plate drops, breaks, etc., the physical sound is generated), there's a geat 2-part paper on procedural lightning and thunder, that'd be _awesome_ to have in DS (and I'm currently working on implementing it in C++, and I'll bring it to Poser and DS if I ever finish). I'd like to see inflatable objects.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,761

The only physics available in Daz studio is cloth and 
    PA created hair and the majority use that for stills.
    And those of us who animate simply add our sound effects
    in a video editor where you have way more control over timing volume etc.

Petercat said:

I would complain about a mandatory increase in font size as it wold increase the need for scrolling in lists, such as the Parameters and Surfaces panes. You should already be able to use the OS scaling to affect DS.

I already am using OS scaling. It maxes out at 150%. I doubt if many users would care about the effect on scrolling as much as they would care about the effect on readability. After all, we've been complaining about the small fonts for a long time and nothing has changed. Increasing the font size would be a nice interim solution until the DAZ programmers get around to making them scalable in a few more years.
    Monitors are getting larger, cheaper, and higher resolution, to do nothing is just making the problem worse.
    Some few people will always complain about changes. In this case, I will bet that the "YAY! Larger font!" comments would vastly exceed the "BOO! More scrolling!" complaints.
    But, yeah, lets not do something to improve the experience for many users because a small minority might not like it.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574

What size monitor and what resolution are you running? Couldn’t you solve your problem by using a larger monitor and keeping your same resolution?

- Greg

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    I'll tell you what I DON'T want to see in version 5. STOP MOVING THINGS AROUND! Why do all tools, tabs, menu items, etc. Have to move around forcing you to find them all over again? Rearranging everything is not an improvement. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

What size monitor and what resolution are you running? Couldn’t you solve your problem by using a larger monitor and keeping your same resolution?

- Greg

It isn't about me, I'm not the only user who wants this. I've seen many complaints here over time about the small font size. I don't have room for a larger monitor anyway, and outside of the tiny font I don''t need one. How many people would buy a larger monitor just to deal with a small font, anyway? Just increase the size of the font,  DAZ. Like I said earlier, I bet many more people would be happier with that than would complain.

• Petercat said:

- Greg

It isn't about me, I'm not the only user who wants this. I've seen many complaints here over time about the small font size. I don't have room for a larger monitor anyway, and outside of the tiny font I don''t need one. How many people would buy a larger monitor just to deal with a small font, anyway? Just increase the size of the font,  DAZ. Like I said earlier, I bet many more people would be happier with that than would complain.

But not everyone has a high-DPI monitor, those who don't are not complaining about the font size (and would complain about the extra scrolling - people complained, a lot, about the increased size of the sliders in the original DS 4 UI styles until we got the Darkside option). I have no idea of the current balance between users with high DPI displays, who wil usually want larger fonts, and those with lower DPI displays, wo will want to keep the existing fonts. In any event, a new style with larger fonts would not necessarily be any less work than finishing the full scaling options - and would be a dead-end at that.

Petercat said:

- Greg

But not everyone has a high-DPI monitor, those who don't are not complaining about the font size (and would complain about the extra scrolling - people complained, a lot, about the increased size of the sliders in the original DS 4 UI styles until we got the Darkside option). I have no idea of the current balance between users with high DPI displays, who wil usually want larger fonts, and those with lower DPI displays, wo will want to keep the existing fonts. In any event, a new style with larger fonts would not necessarily be any less work than finishing the full scaling options - and would be a dead-end at that.

Do you have any idea of the timeline for scalable fonts?

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861
    Petercat said:

- Greg

I would certainly complain about that. I have like a semi high DPI display (1440p) and the fonts are fine. At 4k I imagine they become too small. I agree that scalable fonts is the only option, everything else is a hack that will make one group happy and anger the other.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574
    edited July 2019
    Petercat said:

- Greg

Well, I'd bet more people would be upset with the change (you only hear from people complaining).

Also, in Windows7, you can scale fonts greater than 150% by selecting Set Custom Text Size (DPI):

Out of curiosity, you never answered what size monitor and what resolution are you running? And what version of DS are you running?

- Greg

ETA: The further away from 100% you get (no matter how the scaling is done), the more problems it will cause as it's not only the size of the fonts, but the size of the fonts relative to the rest of the UI.

scaling.png
    791 x 429 - 77K
    Post edited by algovincian on

Out of curiosity, you never answered what size monitor and what resolution are you running? And what version of DS are you running?

- Greg

ETA: The further away from 100% you get (no matter how the scaling is done), the more problems it will cause as it's not only the size of the fonts, but the size of the fonts relative to the rest of the UI.

I don't see why it matters what I use, as I'm not the only person who doesn't like small text.
    This isn't about me.

Scaling the fonts in Win 7 also changes the size of the icons, so for people with low-resolution monitors the desktop becomes cluttered.
    For all the discussion in the forum, for all the justification given for the current situation, nothing has ever changed. Will it? I have no idea.