Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• It still depends on what you are trying to do.

If you just want FWSA Seth, and don't care to have traansfered Elijah 7, bake away. But be sure. If you change your mind, you need to do it again.

The intent here was to get the result the user wants, so it's just a question of what your intentions are. If you don't know how to edit Dsf files, then you probably want to always transfer the shape "for" just because it means less headaches. If you know editing, do what you want, because you know how to fix the things you don't like (it doesn't have to be dsf files, directly. Skill in editing properties in Daz edit mode also works).

Basically, if you understand what the script is doing, in broad strokes (essentially, a very advanced form of Redz's method as linked in my sig), do what's best for you. All the script is really for is to automate a process that would be tedious to do manually. If you don't grok, then yes. Bake base shapes (e.g. M7) if you don't indend to get a product like G2F for G3F, or just don't want to bother dialing that in all the time.

But keep in mind that baking isn't relevant for non-cross-gender transfers between G8 and G3. They just aren't different enough to make much difference.

It's G1/2 or cross-gender where it becomes important (and G1/2 isn't ready yet. I accidentally nuked 4.10.0.123, and I need to rebuild it). Whatever for G3M will look proetty much the same on G8M if you bake or don't. It's the results that you'll get on G8F you need to worry about.

• Gotcha yes

• The bad news is, still not branch or update. The good news is, I have completed getting the stuff installed (Running these in parallel is probably not worth the head ache, but ...) and the script checks out on studio 4.11. The scource fo the inconsistent results is at least partially tied to the fact that the script is trying to use a clone that no longer exists in certain cases. You can fix that part yourself.

No, really.

Open the script in your favorite text editor.
    Copy nthe following word

GNXALTARC

In your text editor, open the find and replace function. Paste the copied word into the find box.
    Copy the following word

NuGNXarc

In your text editor, paste the copied word into the replace box.

Last check, you should have FIND: GNXALTARC Replace with: NuGNXarc (case matters, so just copy and paste)

Hit Replace All. Save. You are done.

But I don't want to break things cuz the scared!!!!
    Honestly I understand that, but just copy the file first. If you do manage to break it, use the copy (You don't even have worry about the file name. The script doesn't care what it's called right now. You could name it "Bob.dsa: and it would still run). If all else fails, just download the dsa file again. 

GNXALTARC was a file meant to make sure figures with eyelashes were not distorted by projection from G8 (which has no lashes, and the script does nothing with the lashes except remove them from a list  to prevent them being shown as an option. That list only exists while the script is running and is only used by the script). Basically, GNXALTARC allowed the lash-bearing figure to get projection the same way the G8 Lash figures do. (It's a clever solution, and I've found it quite useful in things I've made. If you don't know how it's done, see if you can figure it out.) Because GNXALTARC is not actually present, the script gets hung up either because it's not happy it can't find the morph, or ecause the shapes don't match up leading to ... issues. Cutting it out should stablize most of the issues. Others, not so much. But I'll get there.

• necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited June 2019

Good news--with the change it looks like the script is doing what it's supposed to do, even closing the scene when complete (that definitely wasn't happening before the edit). A body morph I was having trouble with is actually a working morph seen by Daz where previously the file was written out but nothing was showing in Daz.

Bad news--it may be on my end, but the arms are fudged up, similar to the Ivan 7 someone posted a little while back. 

It appears the forearms are morphing in the opposite direction--even though the body is morphed to 1.00, the forearms are morphing to the -1.00 shape. If I morph the body to -1.00 the forearms morph to how they should look at 1.00.  

Attachments should be body at 1.00 and body at -1.00.

Body morph is GDU Erastus, but I'm seeing something similar with Ivan 7. But in checking Ivan, I can't duplicate the 1.00/-1.00 issue that Erastus is exhibiting, Ivan's arms just look misplaced. Third image is Ivan 7 at 100%. Unfortunately dialing the Ivan 7 body to -100% just gives a thinner figure.

Anyway, the previous script didn't do this, but like in the Erastus case it wouldn't convert the head morph into a workable file. This script does convert the head morph, but at the expense of the body morph.

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 8.03.05 AM.png
    526 x 916 - 149K
    Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 8.03.34 AM.png
    460 x 906 - 135K
    Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 8.28.15 AM.png
    938 x 578 - 176K
    Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 8.34.38 AM.png
    824 x 428 - 136K
    Post edited by necroscension on
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2019

Saved scenes are bad. Studio loves parenting things. It's a stack of matroshka dolls if you will. This works well, most of the time, but when the TU gets involved, weird stuff starts.

As a rule, the system doesn't ever get confused about where stuff goes (So if there's a "that doesn't go there error," that's probably on me) but it can lose track of where a figure came from. This happens after too many TU runs in a row, or after saving and loading a scene. The only thing that seems to be impacted by this is saving properties. When Studio has not lost track, it will assign the property to eaither /data/path/to/figure.dsf#figure* or /data/path/to/figure.dsf#geometry. When it has lost track, it will assign the property to figure.dsf#figure* or figure.dsf#geometry. Now, as it happens, both of those are valid URIs (almost exactly like a URL. The address where Studio should look to find the thing). If it was an ERC link, it would work just as well. But because this is link to tell Studio how to load the figure, it fails. To load the figure, Studio need to know the path/to/figure.dsf. Wonce the figure is loaded, it knows the path, so it's all good when you call figure.dsf sans path. Atop this, it's instwqnce specific. so if you call load figure, manually correct the file and load figure again, getting figure (2), figure two will work. If you quick delete figure, and load it again, odds are it won't work, because the instance figure is still there for Daz, so it uses cached data to load figure. This is why the script previously deleted (and will delete again) everything from the scene. Once Everything is gone, if you load a new figure, Studio begins by "clearing the scene, deleting object, etc." That clears the cache (at least as far as I understand it. *In the case of #figure, this doesn't necessarily have to match the file name (figure.dsf#figure). But 99.9% of the time, it will.

If you are having arm issues, it's because the figures aren't correctly aligned. Again, this might have something to do with the saved scene. OTOH, it might be an issue in the script. I'm  seeing a completely different issue, and I haven't worked out where it's coming from. But it's certainly a distortion

Try a new scene. If that doesn't work, open an issue on the git.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • Will do. Forgot to mention the last two tries were not scenes but fresh G3M and G8M models. Going to the git now.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited June 2019

Hi, I was going to try this for a morph transfer idea/experiment, but is there a risk of messing up my G8F character?

...like maybe a best practice of setting up a G8F in another library or something?  Just wondering?

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,299
    3dOutlaw said:

Hi, I was going to try this for a morph transfer idea/experiment, but is there a risk of messing up my G8F character?

...like maybe a best practice of setting up a G8F in another library or something?  Just wondering?

If you give GenNext and any morphs you transfer with it their own library, then any such problems can be resolved by removing or disconnecting the GenNext library.

• Unfortunately, I think it's time people realize Gen4 is falling off the back end... going back past Genesis is just too hard for less and less of a market share or benefit. For people heavily invested in Gen4, they will decry this, but their thinking will unfortunately be clouded by personal investment. The reality is that if it was good enough in Gen4 to carry forward, the real solution is to remake it from the ground up for newer characters.

I thought the reason for transferring morphs from v4 to g8 was BECAUSE you want those shapes on the new generation, and not have to rely on support for the outdated generation.
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2019

That was the idea. Some people just aren't going to give up V4, tho.

If I can, reasonably, find a way to have bi-directional transfer to and From V4, I will. But I don't see it happening at this point. The curled fingers thing (This is really a Genesis issue, but it does impact Generation 1-4) is preventing good results on transfer to Genesis. This is due to the same issue that had impacted G3/8 when Geneis was first added to the potential figures list. The bones don't line up correctly.

I can fix it, but I honestly don't know that I will. I might leave it out there as problem for someone else to solve. (The solution is to force the source characters into a pose that matches the Genesis T pose, with curled fingers in the same way that script, essentially, puts every figure in the A Pose. It's just a matter of having to do a new set of clones to go with it because the trickery in the clones is kinda specific to the A-Pose. Fixing it for a new Pose would not be too hard, but it would be tedious, as I've been slowly fixing the errors in the G2/G1 clones to make them work).

As for the remaining distortion issues, I am seeing a problem where parts of meshes seem to not get the projection data for some reason. This is new to the current way the script runs, so I'm not sure why it's happening. I think it might go away with a small change to the script, but I've not tested that because tediously fixing the clones.

I'll be perfectly honest, I am not working that hard on the clone fix. I'm still teaching myself other stuff, and signs point to my having adult ADD, so ---OOOOO! SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

:)

j

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I'll be perfectly honest, I am not working that hard on the clone fix. I'm still teaching myself other stuff, and signs point to my having adult ADD, so ---OOOOO! SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like squirrels! (So do my cats.) Not sure which is more fun to watch, the cat stalking the squirrels, or the squrrels teasing the cats!

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,874

I think at the moment you can focus on the G1 to G2\3\8 transfer.

Now that G8 has got working IK I think many of us will happily move to newer generations.

• E.BruE.Bru Posts: 179

It's the little things that drive you mad.

If anyone has an idea about how to make DazScript recursively delete folders, I'm all ears. I'm tired of thinking about that.

Anyway, here's a prototype.

The use of this script is different than the old, but it's not massively so. All the old warnings apply. This could break your stuff, use at your own risk, etc. The point is to help develop it so that it is very unlikely to break your stuff.

What's the same?
    You still need to load the figure you want to transfer from.
    You still need to select a favorite morph to tell the script what to transfer.
    It will still transfer ALL the morphs in the same product as the targeted morph.

What's changed?
    You now need to load the Target figure. 
    Both figures need to be selected when the script is run.
    The selection order is important. First select the source figure, then select the target.
    The number of favorites is no longer important. The script should transfer all products associated with all favorites.
    No more progress bar. No real point. The script moves so fast, there's not a lot of need for it.
    The script is part of a system of files, and probably won't work if not installed correctly. It's not hard to install, but it has to be in the primary library (EDIT: Studio and you may disagree about the definition primary. For Studio this is the first library in your list libraries in Content Driectory Manager under DAZ Studio Formats). It depends on that to be able to find all the other bits it uses. nIt's already packaged. Just extract the contents of the content folder into your primary library and all will be well.
    It should work with Connect, however, it will not save to the connect library.
    EDIT: You must reload the target figure to see the changes. Some morphs will show immediately, but the will not be correctly configured. ATM I can't do that on a loaded figure.

Use it responsibly. Use it in peace.

Am I blind? I do not find the script.

• E.Bru said:

If anyone has an idea about how to make DazScript recursively delete folders, I'm all ears. I'm tired of thinking about that.

The use of this script is different than the old, but it's not massively so. All the old warnings apply. This could break your stuff, use at your own risk, etc. The point is to help develop it so that it is very unlikely to break your stuff.

What's the same?
    It will still transfer ALL the morphs in the same product as the targeted morph.

What's changed?
    The selection order is important. First select the source figure, then select the target.
    The number of favorites is no longer important. The script should transfer all products associated with all favorites.
    No more progress bar. No real point. The script moves so fast, there's not a lot of need for it.
    The script is part of a system of files, and probably won't work if not installed correctly. It's not hard to install, but it has to be in the primary library (EDIT: Studio and you may disagree about the definition primary. For Studio this is the first library in your list libraries in Content Driectory Manager under DAZ Studio Formats). It depends on that to be able to find all the other bits it uses. nIt's already packaged. Just extract the contents of the content folder into your primary library and all will be well.
    EDIT: You must reload the target figure to see the changes. Some morphs will show immediately, but the will not be correctly configured. ATM I can't do that on a loaded figure.

Yep, it's on the githup: https://github.com/ArchitectMCP/GenNext  Keep in mind it only supports G3 to G8, but some shapes were causing issues with the arms. Riversoft has recently announced a product that is supposed to basically do the same: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/340346/coming-soon-character-converter-from-genesis-3-female-to-genesis-8-female-commercial#latest; AND it looks like Zevo has done the same: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341526/xtransfer-commercial#latest

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

E.Bru said:

What's the same?

What's changed?

Yep, it's on the githup: https://github.com/ArchitectMCP/GenNext  Keep in mind it only supports G3 to G8, but some shapes were causing issues with the arms. Riversoft has recently announced a product that is supposed to basically do the same: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/340346/coming-soon-character-converter-from-genesis-3-female-to-genesis-8-female-commercial#latest; AND it looks like Zevo has done the same: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341526/xtransfer-commercial#latest

From looking at the two products, Zev's transfers supporting morphs, whereas Riversoft's doesn't.

... But both produce exellent products; I have a good few from both. :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    nicstt said:

E.Bru said:

What's the same?

What's changed?

From looking at the two products, Zev's transfers supporting morphs, whereas Riversoft's doesn't.

And Zevos works on both male and female G8 whereas the other version, as usual is for female only with the male version being an extra charge. Sticking with Zevo on this one.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    nicstt said:

E.Bru said:

What's the same?

What's changed?

And Zevos works on both male and female G8 whereas the other version, as usual is for female only with the male version being an extra charge. Sticking with Zevo on this one.

I'm sure I'll get both and see which one I like the most - they both look great. And it looks like Riversoft's will have a script that will quickly transfer custom dialled characters from one figure in the scene to the other on the fly. That sounds awesome! 

They both have features that sound extremely helpful, so I think I'll have to get both to see which one I like the most (assuming one isn't crazy expensive or something lol). 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

The transfer and proper linking of JCMs and MCMs is important for posing characters correctly. Zev0 had the advantage there, if I read the threads correctly. The Singular Blues script that I got very early on had that advantage, too.

I'm sure I'll get both and see which one I like the most - they both look great. And it looks like Riversoft's will have a script that will quickly transfer custom dialled characters from one figure in the scene to the other on the fly. That sounds awesome! 

They both have features that sound extremely helpful, so I think I'll have to get both to see which one I like the most (assuming one isn't crazy expensive or something lol). 

I am also basing my decision on my past experiences with both vendors and their products. Then again, I really don't have as much of a need for this as many others since I used the very early version of SBs script to transfer my custom figures over awhile back, but I was willing to support SB with a sale if it ever came out as a commercial product and now I can support Zevo instead

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,269

Now that Riversoft's product is in the store I wonder what the future development of SB's script might be or if it is dead in the water at this point.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

It's open-source, so anyone can expand on it...

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,269
    WandW said:

It's open-source, so anyone can expand on it...

Yes, I know but with Riversoft's product out and ZevO's product in the works I wonder if SB or anyone will?  I would really hate to see all the effort SB put into it wasted. At any rate I hope SB knows how much we really appreciate his efforts.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

He's stated he's unlikely to ever develop a product out of it and that's why he's open sourced it.

I've tried it and it hung on a transfer of about 10 G3M products to G8M. I've not looked into why it hung as it's not an important thing to me only a convenience. The prior product he made one year prior handled the same work without a bug.

It's a nice UI he's created for it but it would probably be a better UI by parsing individual products and offering those as the choice to transfer instead of all the individual components of those product files with an option to transfer all associated member files of the product. Also. it would probably be better and avoid the need for searching for complex bugs if once a product was chosen to transfer all the other products were greyed out and not available for transfer - so one product at a time.

Now that Riversoft's product is in the store I wonder what the future development of SB's script might be or if it is dead in the water at this point.

i would think SB is releived since he has stated his interest is in other things now

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited August 2019
    nicstt said:

At least Riversoft has already released something. https://www.daz3d.com/character-converter-from-genesis-3-female-to-genesis-8-female

Now I'm waiting for the male version.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • E.BruE.Bru Posts: 179

The scrip is working but the Data is not shown in Daz Studio. What is going wrong?

• E.Bru said:

The scrip is working but the Data is not shown in Daz Studio. What is going wrong?

You have to close Daz Studio then reopen if you haven't.

• sueyasueya Posts: 825

Is there a way to delete morphs? I have just found that the Eva 7 Head morph I created also changes her arms. I probably made some mistake when I did the transfer.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,093
    @sueya Look in the "data" folder in your "My Library". Go to "DAZ 3D" and then to the folder of the figure in question, like "Genesis 8" and then "Female". Inside there's another folder that says "Morphs" and you can look in there to find it and delete it.