Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Taoz said:

Well I've had to use the 4.11 betas, all of them, because of a horrible viewport bug in the 4.10 DS that makes the viewport unusable when trying to use most of the gizmos that translate, rotate, and so on. The 4.11 betas go a long way to fixing those bugs.

I used to have the viewport problem also but after reinstalling the system (Win 10, DS 4.10.0.123) and moving all my programming stuff to another machine it seems to be gone. I'm using Mouse Without Borders (MWB) so I'm controlling the render machine with the mouse and keyboard on this one. MWB has some settings for adapting to individual setups on each machine, the DS viewport controls go totally nuts if I use a certain setting but works fine with another. So if doesn't look like it's a bug in DS, at least not 4.10.0.123.  

No, it's a bug in 4.10. It was there in 4.9 but not bad, it was out of control in 4.10, and with 4.11 it is again OK, but still not as good as 4.9. It's the event handler for DAZ not managing events optimally is all. I say is all but it's the difference between being able to use DAZ and not being able to use DAZ. Those with nVidia or AMD cards or even the newest intel integrated GPUs are likely not to even notice the bug but those with old intel integrated GPUs will notice.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Aww - a Stetson kiss! Priceless :)

• That is such a cute selfie, Novica!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

Here's Stetson last night with his gorgeous coal black Spring coat, before it gets slightly bleached out in the summer. He's brought in by noon everyday, starting in May, due to the heat and so his coat doesn't get as bleached out as it normally would. It was 83 degrees at 7pm last night. UGH. 

I went out at 7:15am today to feed early and put him out, and it was eighty degees at that time. But NO BUGS. So I'm going to try and do that every morning.

Horse Hotel was in his pasture (they had three horses who needed to be turned out together after a long trip, so I said fine and Stetson was put in a different pasture. That's why he is running and exploring.) 

He was totally showing off for you!  He is really a stunning horse.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    Taoz said:

Well I've had to use the 4.11 betas, all of them, because of a horrible viewport bug in the 4.10 DS that makes the viewport unusable when trying to use most of the gizmos that translate, rotate, and so on. The 4.11 betas go a long way to fixing those bugs.

I used to have the viewport problem also but after reinstalling the system (Win 10, DS 4.10.0.123) and moving all my programming stuff to another machine it seems to be gone. I'm using Mouse Without Borders (MWB) so I'm controlling the render machine with the mouse and keyboard on this one. MWB has some settings for adapting to individual setups on each machine, the DS viewport controls go totally nuts if I use a certain setting but works fine with another. So if doesn't look like it's a bug in DS, at least not 4.10.0.123.  

No, it's a bug in 4.10.

Well in that case it's a bug which only shows in combination with something else on the system, which I apparently don't have.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

No, it's a bug in 4.10.

Well in that case it's a bug which only shows in combination with something else on the system, which I apparently don't have.

No, it's there; your hardware is simply much faster than mine. 

To put it another way your machine is so much faster than mine it's treating the bug like drinking medicine very fast to avoid the taste or following a shot of whiskey or rum with a chaser.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

FYI, the latest beta was released today, 4.11.0.380

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited May 2019

@Novica

Rabbicus has a new look! Strand-based thorns made with the 4.11 beta.

Rabbicus thorns.jpg
    900 x 720 - 286K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@rgcincy  Rabbicus is ADORABLE!

BTW just have to mention this- if you are shopping at another site (R) their search engine does NOT show you all the products which have material options for the wearable. 

Don't forget to use your PC+ coupons, the month is almost over! 

edited June 2019

My studio (the 4.11 beta) is still crashing, so I'm switching back to 4.10. As stated with previous posts and data, my computer is not overheating, it's not a RAM issue. I have no problem with 4.10  I'll see if I get time to do a few renders in the upcoming days. I'm busy working on files from another store, getting them all packaged and installed, and it's going to take a long time to do that :(  

Japanese Restaurant      Orestes Iray HDRI Environment Virgil Creek Falls

However, there was a question on another thread about the Japanese Restaurant, regarding walls being separate. The one end is open, the "partition" is paper thin and will let in a lot of light, but it IS separate and can be turned off. The other two walls can't, but you don't need to do that for lighting purposes. For cameras, perhaps.  There is no door, you can slide Partition to cover it, but that leaves a gap at the other end. Simply X scale to make the partition longer/cover the door opening. But there is no door that I've found.

TIP:  For even room lighting to avoid the obvious "the end of this room is open and too much light is pouring in from there" problem- here's the dome settings to try with HDRI products. I used Virgil Creek and turned Draw Dome off. Settings:

For X/Y/Z Dome ORIENTATION:  250/270/220   (First time I've played with all three!)  Gives you great, even diffused lighting. I turned the overall Dome Rotation to zero.   Try it and see how it works for you to get even lighting in a room with one end open. That end should FACE FRONT. 

All lights in the room are the vendor's default for lanterns, etc.

In Tone Settings, as usual the Film ISO is 135 and then Exposure Value 11.76

As usual: Mitchell, not Gaussian, in Render Settings/Filtering. While there, Pixel Filter Radius 1.30 (remember the lower you go, the crisper the image.) Turn Noise Filter on,  Noise Degrain Filtering is 4 and the Radius is 3.

See the even lighting? Not pouring in from the end. Yessss!!!!

Click to enlarge.

japanese restaurant .png
    1000 x 900 - 2M
    japanese restaurant 2.png
    1000 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RainRain Posts: 335

Novica, my 4.11 beta crashes too so I’m also switching back to 4.10.  Kind of disappointed because I bought a product that only seems to work for me in 4.11, but the crashing is driving me crazy.  

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2019

4.11 doesn't crash for me any more than any other version. I never installed the 4.10 release due to the complaints on that version, but I did have the 4.10 beta. With only one exception, (and it was the with 4.10,) I like to keep the latest beta installed.

Keep in mind, though, The Beast has 64GB of RAM and a GTX 1080 video card. I also run the oldest Nvidia video driver I can get away with, which at the moment is v418.81.

One thing I know can crash Daz Studio, (and happens in the release version, too,) is deleting polygons using the Geometry Editor. After a few years, I've finally trained myself to save just before deleting polys. Then when DS does crash, I haven't lost any work.

Maybe some of this info will be helpful…

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

My 4.11 was crashing too so I'm mainly using 4.10.  Figured I'd give it a month then see if anything has changed.

edited June 2019

I really don't feel the love for Rossy. The eyebrows being asymmetrical is one thing, but as you can see from the side view, the right one is really sketchily filled in. Doesn't make sense with how thick they are elsewhere. (And no, it's not a wound area.)  The left eyebrow starts WAAAY over and doesn't make sense with the other one, it looks like it's been shaved!  Neither eyebrow itself looks appealing IMO but to me,  they don't look like they belong together. 

The teeth look good, an uneven, natural look, and the beard option looks nice. The aging lines are a welcome change to model-type males. I just can't get past those eyebrows! (Yeah, you can replace them.)  So do you like eyebrows which are that different?

Post edited by Novica on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Novica said:

I really don't feel the love for Rossy. The eyebrows being asymmetrical is one thing, but as you can see from the side view, the right one is really sketchily filled in. Doesn't make sense with how thick they are elsewhere. (And no, it's not a wound area.)  The left eyebrow starts WAAAY over and doesn't make sense with the other one, it looks like it's been shaved!  Neither eyebrow itself looks appealing IMO but to me,  they don't look like they belong together. 

The teeth look good, an uneven, natural look, and the beard option looks nice. The aging lines are a welcome change to model-type males. I just can't get past those eyebrows! (Yeah, you can replace them.)  So do you like eyebrows which are that different?

The eyebrows are the only thing I semi-like about him *g* The waxy skin and dead eyes make him a no-no though, even if they're probably fixable.

Yep, the skin caught my attention too, wasn't sure if it was just a lighting thing.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

He looks a bit like the Missing Link, a cross between a Neanderthal and a Homo Sapien laugh

Fishtales said:

He looks a bit like the Missing Link, a cross between a Neanderthal and a Homo Sapien laugh

He does have a very pronounced brow ridge, but he isn't stocky enough I think.

I started checking eyelashes because quite a few seem sloppily done to me- aka they don't go all the way over. This one sadly has that problem. Click on the main promo, then look at the bottom eyelashes on your left as you look at it. The eyelashes don't even go to the outside corner of the eye. It's the same with the other eye but you can really see it with the one on our left.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

My thought was Wolfman in process of transforming

Well, at least it gives folks options for a gene pool mixture. :) 

Speaking of which, did you guys buy Elios? I passed. I was one of those who didn't get a banner at all, and don't know whether I would have gotten him or not anyway. I don't need anymore of that $90/$70 whatever free stuff, very little I don't already have (which ticks me off about the banner- I have almost all the Pro Bundles. I've never agreed with the random awarding of banners to begin with, even though I always get them.) 

By the way, there's TWO FLASH SALES right now, including a 10% gift card, no purchase necessary. And 80% off some Genesis 3 Pro and Starter Bundles.

edited June 2019

I didn't get Elios; I don't dislike him, but I don't like him enough, and there was hardly anything of interest in the Pro Bundle free stuff to persuade me. The business with my 20% banner being 'corrected' to 10% removed any lingering doubt I might have had. I wishlisted some of the clothing, got Cormac (who works well enough without the Elios base) and one clothing item.

Post edited by Nath on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131
    edited June 2019

I didn't get Elios either (at least, not yet) - I had a banner for the $70 free stuff but was pushed to see that much there that I wanted. I didn't spend enough in that last-week-of-March qualifying period to get a %age banner (although I did buy a GC for over $120 that week, which apparently doesn't count) If I had got a 20% banner I would maybe have bought him, I just didn't want to spent another $66+ (or well over $70 if I included the add-ons I would have liked) when there was no extra incentive for me.

ETA: I spent that much on Sanjay, but managed to grab two other Pro Bundles I didn't have as his freebies, due to a lucky stacking sale. I passed on Kala too, for the same reasons as my pass on Elios.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

I didn't buy Elios.  He didn't interest me and the clothes in the bundle aren't anything I'll use.  I have already well picked over the selection of "free" stuff so that I wasn't even tempted.  The last couple of bundles "free" selections have been non-sale items, so the bang for the buck has been pretty low.

MelanieL said:

ETA: I spent that much on Sanjay, but managed to grab two other Pro Bundles I didn't have as his freebies, due to a lucky stacking sale. I passed on Kala too, for the same reasons as my pass on Elios.

I wish I hadn't purchased Sanjay early, so that I could have done the same.  I also skipped Kala.

I haven't noticed a "rhyme or reason" for how banners and coupons are offered.  If one comes my way, Daz might get more of my $; otherwise, I've turned into a very patient shopper.  I won't easily forgot how inexpensive products were in November and December versus the price I paid earlier in the same year.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I bought Sanjay and Kala due to Pro Bundles being discounted into their free DO allowance, rather than them alone. I mean I liked them and the ethnicity, but I wasn't sure there was enough content in their Pro bundles to justify the cost. But then the Pro bundles went on sale. So that pushed me over. With Mrs. Chow and Mr. Woo, it was a no-brainer. Elios is just another pretty guy with not enough uniqueness, imo, with his character or the contents of his Pro bundle. Then again, if you want to clone Aquaman...

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited June 2019

I liked Elios, but not enough to wrestle with the rigging adjust/ERC freeze aspects of transferring him to G3, so I just grabbed two outfits of his I couldn't live without, and ignored the rest. I did the pro bundle and addons and free content for Sanjay because I genuinely liked him and most of his content. Kala, I just got her and a few of her addons, making a 'mini-bundle.' Two pro bundles a month at non-PC prices gets too rich for my blood, especially with cool non-bundle stuff being released or put on sale constantly. For the amount of money two pro bundles would cost me, I could buy ALOT of stuff more relevant to my interests than the average G8 bundle.

Post edited by Odaa on

I personally shy away from characters that look like television or movie stars. I don't want them in any books I might do in the future. If I want Black Widow or Aquaman then....  

Right now, I'm focused on getting a notebook (yep, the old fashioned way) set up which has all the products bought at Rendo, and cross referencing with what materials I have bought that go to outfits here. What a mess! Outfits here have quite a few vendors over there (not the same as the outfit maker) which gives you a LOT more variety. Some regular shirts (for example) may be short instead of long sleeve, have a different length, have peek a boo cute cut-outs for the neck, etc.   And when I buy an outfit here, it's nice to know which ones have that additional texture set elsewhere. 

Whereas over there, it helps me know which vendors to keep an eye on based on the outfits I already bought. I sometimes buy outfits without additional textures, and textures before I get the outfit. Risky, as some outfits disappear, but if they're 70% off, it's a no brainer for some of the lovely materials.

I'm sure you are all monitoring it, but several of the Flash Sales (which have changed again, Stonemason and Faveral one is working, the Amazing-Castles- but two of the others as of 6:30PM are NOT working yet.  The Flash Sales are indeed changing so keep an eye on 'em!

QUICK,  FREE-STARCH now works in the Ironman Flash Sale.

This discussion has been closed.