Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,132
    edited May 2019

The Fill and Invert buttons have been removed from the Paint tab. I used those a lot. The change log mentions removing them and adding context menu items (for who knows what?), but I can't find any context menu. How do I do a surface fill now? Do I have to paint the whole thing in? That would be very cumbersome.

Edit: Aha! I found the context menus and they have the fill and invert. You have to right click on a Texture Set name.

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,132

I like the Alt Value painting option! That makes things so much faster to not have to keep changing the paint color from 100% to 0%.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I haven't installed it yet, but I was delighted to see:

• The Invert Mouse Wheel customization option for the application is now respected by the viewport of the Strand-Based Hair Editor

in the Change log! Thank you.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    RAMWolff said:

I just don't do beta's

And I also feel it will take a couple of subversions to get it stable enough .. I mean once 4.11 gets released. So I'd bet for the end of the year for 4.11 to be usable in production.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,899

The Beta still doesn't save the settings for Custom UVs in my scenes, they keep get reverted to Default at every scene loading.

It looks like it simply doesn't save the parameter's settings.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I'm pleased to see the improvements in the Selection Sets area, but I can't actually select one once they've been created now. Anyone else finding the same?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    Imago said:

The Beta still doesn't save the settings for Custom UVs in my scenes, they keep get reverted to Default at every scene loading.

Please give an example, so that I can try it.

edited May 2019
    Imago said:

Please give an example, so that I can try it.

It's very simple, just create a Cube primitive and export it as OBJ. Then go in the Surfaces tab and import the OBJ as a new UV set. If you change the UV to the new one just created and save the scene, when you load the scene again the UV set is back to default.

I noticed the problem the first time is using Sleek Hair from DAZ Store:

https://www.daz3d.com/pure-hair-sleek-1

Post edited by Imago on

I did some other testing and found out the Custom UV issue happens with Rigged figures like hair or clothes. I can confirm the Beta doesn't save the Custom UV's data at all.
    Primitives seems to work properly in this last build.

I tried to replicate your issue, and it appears to work for me. What I did:

1. Created a cube
    2. Exported the cube as OBJ
    3. Selected cube and selected Load UV Set on Surfaces pane menu
    4. Selected the exported cube OBJ and named it
    5. Saved the scene and restarted DS

See the attached screenshot.

Cube UV.jpg
    1011 x 637 - 107K

1. Created a cube

Yes, read the post just before yours. I found that the primitives works fine, the issue is on the rigged figures, like hair.
    Try using some rigged hair.

Imago said:

1. Created a cube

Yes, read the post just before yours. I found that the primitives works fine, the issue is on the rigged figures, like hair.

Please report it:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Hi, could someone help? When I render, the CPU is 100% busy and the GPU 0%, so I take it iray falls back to CPU rendering in spite of CPU and GPU selected in render options. (As well as Optix Prime Acceleration, whatever that might be)

I have an RTX 2080 with driver 430.86. I just upgraded to DS beta 4.11.0.380.

Any tips what to try to get iray to use the GPU?

Thanks

Why do you think it doesn't use GPU?

Try having just GPU checked.

Imago said:

1. Created a cube

Please report it:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Done.

• Why do you think it doesn't use GPU?

Because it renders not very fast and because the task manager performance tab reports 0% GPU activity. (When I start a game the GPU activity spikes. Not with an iray render)

Having just GPU checked makes no difference.

Why do you think it doesn't use GPU?

Because it renders not very fast and because the task manager performance tab reports 0% GPU activity. (When I start a game the GPU activity spikes. Not with an iray render)

Having just GPU checked makes no difference.

Try using HWMonitor (you can use the zip download and run it as a standalone). My Windows Task Manager shows 0% for GPU, but HWMonitor doesn't.

• Thanks! That shows it ramping up to 100% on both GPU and all 8 CPUs. Looks like a bug in Win 10 task manager.

Bummer. I had hoped that the render would be faster.

Faster is subjective, really. There are many factors which determines rending speed. At least it does utilizes the GPU smiley

• I did another experiment and it is very confusing.

I timed a small test render.

Both GPU and CPU selected in advanced render options, Got to iteration 60 in 2min 39 sec. HW monitor showed 100% CPU and 100% GPU

Only CPU selected in advanced render options. Got to iteration 60 in 2 min 40 sec. HW monitor showed 100% CPU and 0% GPU

So what does this mean?

Try changing the various Progressive Render settings. It may be that one of the settings were met in both cases, e.g. Max Samples (esp if the default settings were used).

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    Padone said:

And I also feel it will take a couple of subversions to get it stable enough .. I mean once 4.11 gets released. So I'd bet for the end of the year for 4.11 to be usable in production.

Define "usable".  I have been using the Betas for quite sometime for making new content as have other PAs.  I have also been using it for my own personal artwork.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    Mattymanx said:
    Padone said:

Define "usable".  I have been using the Betas for quite sometime for making new content as have other PAs.  I have also been using it for my own personal artwork.

Same here, I haven't even touched the 4.10 gr for over a year! When the beta is more popular/feature rich than the general release!

edited May 2019
    Mattymanx said:
    Padone said:

I keep a release version installed, but my "go to" has been the "current beta" since the first 4.8 beta with Iray was released.

I read so many complaints on the forums about 4.10 from people I trust, I never did install the 4.10 released version. I'm still running 4.9 as my backup! I experience the occasional crash, but no more than I did with released versions before I started using the betas. (And for the record, I can crash Photoshop CS6, too.)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

I personally have 4.10.0.123 installed but I have not used it for production in quite sometime.  The Betas have been very stable.

• WuggletoesWuggletoes Posts: 17
    edited June 2019

Somewhat related to Masterstroke's problem, I'm finding that with the latest Nvidia Studio driver released a few days ago (430.86), iRay tends to crash with an ACCESS_VIOLATION after a few renders. I switched back to the Game Ready driver (also 430.86) , and so far (knock on wood), it hasn't yet. RTX 2070.

This is a new computer, so I can't rule out that the old drivers just don't tax the machine enough to get it hot enough to crash, but right now it's 6% CPU 30% GPU. I've saved the dumps, but since I'm knee-deep in 11th hour production stress, I haven't submitted them just yet, as I need it to Just Work For Now. Apologies if somebody said this earlier in the thread.

Update: While it did get a lot farther with the above driver, still eventually crashed. Might just be a fun heat thing. Yay.

Post edited by Wuggletoes on
  • RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 911

Is there a way to export the strand based hair guide curves, edit them in another program like Blender or ZBrush, and then re-import the modified guide curves?  I looked around and didn't see any obvious way of doing this.  This is something I would think PAs would want to allow for fine grained manipulation with tools they are already familiar with or for making morphs.

edited June 2019

I'm not sure how this happened, but I suspect it has something to do with the event handler for the mouse:

Viewing the Viewport through my camera, I was zooming in and panning while looking for the best angle and distance for the final image. The Draw Mode was Nividia Iray, which isn't too bad with a single GTX 1080. And suddenly, everything went black. It was rendering, but all I could see was solid black. I won't go into the things I tried, or the bad words I uttered. I'll just skip forward to what I finally figured out had happened.

I'm using TerraDome 3 with the water prop. I didn't need the depth of the prop, so I had the Y-Scale set to 11%, with the prop moved up into position. Somehow, while "dragging" the zoom control to get closer to the figure, the Y-Scale was reset to 100%, That put the scene and the camera deep inside the prop where, apparently, the sun don't shine. Not only was I viewing the scene through the camera, but I also had the camera selected and the transforms showing in the parameters tab.

I've had the mouse "let go" while dragging. I've had it let go of one thing and grab another while dragging. But this is the first time I've seen anything like this.

Not sure if it's a fluke, or if it's a bug. Has anyone else seen any such bizarre mouse behavior with this beta? If so, I'll report this as a bug.

ETA: It ocurrs to me, I should also mention I use a wireless Logitech trackman marble. (M570).

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    edited June 2019

Both GPU and CPU selected in advanced render options, Got to iteration 60 in 2min 39 sec. HW monitor showed 100% CPU and 100% GPU

Only CPU selected in advanced render options. Got to iteration 60 in 2 min 40 sec. HW monitor showed 100% CPU and 0% GPU

To get the iray usage in the windows task manager you have to select CUDA instead of 3D in the graph menu. 3D is good for games. Then about what you're experiencing in your comparison that's odd. Unless you have a very weak nvidia card and a very fast cpu.

EDIT. I see you have a 2080 .. I guess either it's hw monitor and iray that don't work, or you don't get to iteration 60 in both cases ..

Post edited by Padone on