2nd of nine lives Cat Girrrl render thread prrr

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited May 2019

I'm really liking Melody 2.0 coupled with Genesis 8 Female and the Legacy UVs! 

G8F - Melody 2 w HFS and Toon Morphs 2.png
    1000 x 1300 - 974K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

@Divamakeup it's really interesting what you are doing with Melody 2.0! I'm going to watch out for her in the sales now smiley, along with the legacy UV products. 

@Divamakeup it's really interesting what you are doing with Melody 2.0! I'm going to watch out for her in the sales now smiley, along with the legacy UV products. 

Thank you, Mollytabby! I'm having a lot of fun with her! :D Being able to use the head, ears, and tail with any body/figure that can use Victoria 4's textures is a real plus for this product, making it pretty versatile imo. :) One just needs to parent the Melody 2.0 head to the figure's head, parent the ears to the Melody head, and parent the tail to the figure's hip - then hide the figure's head, eyes, and mouth in the Scene Tab. 

The only tricky part, so far, is the expressions. I'm used to working with Genesis 8 where you can change the expression super fast and easy with PowerPose, but with the Melody head you have manually move the different mouth, eyes, and brows sliders in the Parameters Tab to give her expressions. It took me ages to figure out how to get her eyes to look in a certain direction. I kept doing a search of the "eyes" sliders in the parameters tab, though they were not labelled "eyes" but instead are labelled "look". As in "look left" "look up" etc. lol Also all those expression sliders are labelled with dark gray text against a black background making them a little hard to read. All in all though, despite those minor things I wish were a little different, I'm super happy with the Melody 2.0 product and having a lot of fun with it. :)

vrba79 said:

Cat Girl Joy Kinsey from my webcomic Mysterious Missouri.

I hope you post more of Joy Kinsey! :)

Redfern said:

I love her textures! I'm going to have to try and figure out how to get more of a "fur" look to the Melody textures. :) I really like the textures, but they're a bit too "smooth" I think. I don't know. Part of me likes the smooth textures, gives it more of a "toon" look and I'm quite a fan of toon styles. But part of me sees your more fur-like textures and am like - oh that's cool! heheh :)

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited May 2019

I love her textures! I'm going to have to try and figure out how to get more of a "fur" look to the Melody textures. :) I really like the textures, but they're a bit too "smooth" I think. I don't know. Part of me likes the smooth textures, gives it more of a "toon" look and I'm quite a fan of toon styles. But part of me sees your more fur-like textures and am like - oh that's cool! heheh :)

DS or Poser? I have a goto method for poser but it doesn't work in ds (at least I haven't found a way)

Post edited by pwiecek on
    pwiecek said:

DS or Poser? I have a goto method for poser but it doesn't work in ds (at least I haven't found a way)

Daz Studio. :) Thank you though. I might end up having to do a little work on it in Photoshop this weekend if I can find some free time. It might give me something to work on while Daz Studio is tied up with renders. :)

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579

When you say "smooth", do you mean the bump map settings appear too subtle?  Or do you mean the "strand" or "groove" lengths seem too short, like there should be a longer, semi "ripple" effect.  Alas, it's a moot point either way.  I used the bumps from a packabe called "Big Cat" by MergeVisible, a merchant who no longer sells through this site.  It was sold as a product for V3 and M3, but since A3 uses the same UVs, it was usable on Melody.  Well, except for the head which has a very different latout.  I still had to use the bump maps design for Melody's face.

If you mean the textures?  That the "Fisher Cat" set which is arguably, the most "robust" of the Melody/Micah designs, looking a bit more "realistic" than the other deliberately more "toon" styled patterns.  I really wish LittleFoc and Beth Capsces had released more sets like this, but by that point, V4 had become "queen" and the tow merchants, understandably, needed to "follow the money".  For this character, I reduced the intensity of the diffuse map to reduce the effect of the "stripes" (which my OC does not have) and then I dialed a neutral "tan" into the "diffuse" channel, turning the white areas more of a "cream" hue"

BTW, this was done in Poser.

Sincerely,

Bill

Oh, wait...!  You meant the other sets looked a bit stylized and "cartoon" like, not my example!

Sorry for the confusion.  Still, the information I shared should still explain why that is.

Sincerely,

Bill

Thank you, Mollytabby! I'm having a lot of fun with her! :D Being able to use the head, ears, and tail with any body/figure that can use Victoria 4's textures is a real plus for this product, making it pretty versatile imo. :) One just needs to parent the Melody 2.0 head to the figure's head, parent the ears to the Melody head, and parent the tail to the figure's hip - then hide the figure's head, eyes, and mouth in the Scene Tab. 

The only tricky part, so far, is the expressions. I'm used to working with Genesis 8 where you can change the expression super fast and easy with PowerPose, but with the Melody head you have manually move the different mouth, eyes, and brows sliders in the Parameters Tab to give her expressions. It took me ages to figure out how to get her eyes to look in a certain direction. I kept doing a search of the "eyes" sliders in the parameters tab, though they were not labelled "eyes" but instead are labelled "look". As in "look left" "look up" etc. lol Also all those expression sliders are labelled with dark gray text against a black background making them a little hard to read. All in all though, despite those minor things I wish were a little different, I'm super happy with the Melody 2.0 product and having a lot of fun with it. :)

Thank you @Divamakeup, this is really useful information. I've saved it in my Notes app on my Mac ready for when I pick up Melody 2.0. I picked up Thistle in one the recent sales but I haven't done any renders with her yet.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

I got a chance to check out Melody 2.0 a little bit - not much but enough to get a first impression. So far so good. :) The cool thing about it is that the head, ears, and tail are attachable, which means you can parent them onto ANY figure and ANY body! AWESOME!

So I parented the Melody 2.0 head ears and tail to Genesis 8 Female. And then used Cayman Studios Victoria 4 Legacy UV for Genesis 8 Female to apply the Melody 2.0 textures to Genesis 8 Female. 

I didn't have a whole lot of time to experiment with customizing it, but I think it has promise. Here's a couple of quicky renders with it the Melody 2.0 product + Legacy UV + Genesis 8 Female:

And here's one with some HFS Ultimate Shapes added:

She looks great, Diva - especially like the lighting you used in the last image!

- Greg

edited May 2019

My first attempt using Melody for A3. I really struggled with the tail posing but got something reasonable in the end. I also found I couldn't dForce the clothing. I thought it was worth a try and I'm pretty limited in my dForce knowledge, so someone else may have a lot better luck than I did!

She is fun to use though and I found V4 poses work quite well with a bit of tweaking. I rendered in 3Delight using IBL Master.

Melody-Cat-MollyTabbyWEB2.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by Mollytabby on

I think you did very well with her, Molly!

As for Melody 2, that product turned out to be something of a missed opportunity.  I appreciated the concept, an anthropomorphic funny animal head that could be applied to almost any figure.  But the product kinda' got abandoned.  True, several texture sets were offered, but twas it and all of them were bold, cartoonish patterns, nothing remotely quasi-realistic like the "Fisher Cat" set.  But beyond that, nothing.  The original Melody (and Micah) got the 'Furries for..." morph add-ons, allowing one to create a condsiderable variety of mammal types, felines, canines, rodents, cervids, mustelids, etc.  Within the forums of Runtime DNA, Lady LittleFox had stated those "were coming" for Melody 2.  She also presented "works in progress" for add-ons like fluffy "pectotal ruffs" that would conform to V4's chest and used transparency mapping to create the effect.

But during those discussions LittleFox released "Star" (the stand-alone version) and when that product proved super popular, Melody 2 got pushed to the side and was forgotten.  But I can understand the circumstances.  As a merchant, she was smart to "follow the money".  Since "Star" proved a hot seller, it would make sense focus upon it and create content for it instead.

Melody 2 had potential, but it "got lost in the shuffle".

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern said:

Oh, wait...!  You meant the other sets looked a bit stylized and "cartoon" like, not my example!

Sorry for the confusion.  Still, the information I shared should still explain why that is.

Sincerely,

Bill

Oh, sorry - I wasn't very clear in my communication. Yes, I meant that the Melody 2.0 mats I'm using are a bit too "smooth" I think. :) I REALLY like the mats on your cat girl. 

I got a chance to check out Melody 2.0 a little bit - not much but enough to get a first impression. So far so good. :) The cool thing about it is that the head, ears, and tail are attachable, which means you can parent them onto ANY figure and ANY body! AWESOME!

So I parented the Melody 2.0 head ears and tail to Genesis 8 Female. And then used Cayman Studios Victoria 4 Legacy UV for Genesis 8 Female to apply the Melody 2.0 textures to Genesis 8 Female. 

I didn't have a whole lot of time to experiment with customizing it, but I think it has promise. Here's a couple of quicky renders with it the Melody 2.0 product + Legacy UV + Genesis 8 Female:

And here's one with some HFS Ultimate Shapes added:

She looks great, Diva - especially like the lighting you used in the last image!

- Greg

Thank you, Greg! I'm having a LOT of fun with creating some cat girls. heheh WHO KNEW! lol It's quite different than what I'm used to and I'm finding the experiments with it to be really fascinating and fun. I've always ever strived for A) pushing realism as far as I can go and B) pushing non-realism as far as I can go to the other side - but the cat girls are like one foot in both worlds, which is interesting imo. :)

My first attempt using Melody for A3. I really struggled with the tail posing but got something reasonable in the end. I also found I couldn't dForce the clothing. I thought it was worth a try and I'm pretty limited in my dForce knowledge, so someone else may have a lot better luck than I did!

She is fun to use though and I found V4 poses work quite well with a bit of tweaking. I rendered in 3Delight using IBL Master.

Oh wow! That's really cute! :D I had to do a double take when you said 3Delight - it looks awesome! 

Redfern said:

I think you did very well with her, Molly!

As for Melody 2, that product turned out to be something of a missed opportunity.  I appreciated the concept, an anthropomorphic funny animal head that could be applied to almost any figure.  But the product kinda' got abandoned.  True, several texture sets were offered, but twas it and all of them were bold, cartoonish patterns, nothing remotely quasi-realistic like the "Fisher Cat" set.  But beyond that, nothing.  The original Melody (and Micah) got the 'Furries for..." morph add-ons, allowing one to create a condsiderable variety of mammal types, felines, canines, rodents, cervids, mustelids, etc.  Within the forums of Runtime DNA, Lady LittleFox had stated those "were coming" for Melody 2.  She also presented "works in progress" for add-ons like fluffy "pectotal ruffs" that would conform to V4's chest and used transparency mapping to create the effect.

But during those discussions LittleFox released "Star" (the stand-alone version) and when that product proved super popular, Melody 2 got pushed to the side and was forgotten.  But I can understand the circumstances.  As a merchant, she was smart to "follow the money".  Since "Star" proved a hot seller, it would make sense focus upon it and create content for it instead.

Melody 2 had potential, but it "got lost in the shuffle".

Sincerely,

Bill

I adore Star, so I can see why she went with that. It's unfortunate that Melody 2.0 didn't get the support that the A3 version did. I'm still having tons of fun with it though. I'll have to see about tweaking the texture maps and see if I can figure out a way to give it a little bit more of a fur-like look. :)

edited May 2019

I took Sunday evening off and did some tweaking to the three cat girls I have started. 

A3 Melody, Cleo the Cheetah Girl with toon morphs and slightly modified textures (mainly the face) and a borrowed tail lol, and Melody 2.0 on G8F with some toon morphs and some HFS Ultimate Shapes morphs.

I wasn't able to modify A3 Melody's shape as much as I'd have liked due to having very limited morphs for her. I made some minor texture changes to Cleo's face mats (I didn't like the black lips nor the black streaks that went all the way to her mouth - so I modified it a little in Photoshop). Melody 2.0's textures I haven't tweaked yet. So far though I'm really liking the shapes. :)

G8F - Cat Girls 1.png
    800 x 800 - 704K
    Post edited by 3Diva on

Hmm, there's something odd about cheetach based catgirls wearing cheetah print bikinis.  Isn't that like a human wearing a bathing suit with a print of human anatonical details?blush

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern said:

Hmm, there's something odd about cheetach based catgirls wearing cheetah print bikinis.  Isn't that like a human wearing a bathing suit with a print of human anatonical details?blush

Sincerely,

Bill

hahah I equate it to human's wearing "flesh-toned" bikinis. :) 

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited May 2019
    Redfern said:

When you say "smooth", do you mean the bump map settings appear too subtle?  Or do you mean the "strand" or "groove" lengths seem too short, like there should be a longer, semi "ripple" effect.  Alas, it's a moot point either way.  I used the bumps from a packabe called "Big Cat" by MergeVisible, a merchant who no longer sells through this site.  It was sold as a product for V3 and M3, but since A3 uses the same UVs, it was usable on Melody.  Well, except for the head which has a very different latout.  I still had to use the bump maps design for Melody's face.

If you mean the textures?  That the "Fisher Cat" set which is arguably, the most "robust" of the Melody/Micah designs, looking a bit more "realistic" than the other deliberately more "toon" styled patterns.  I really wish LittleFoc and Beth Capsces had released more sets like this, but by that point, V4 had become "queen" and the tow merchants, understandably, needed to "follow the money".  For this character, I reduced the intensity of the diffuse map to reduce the effect of the "stripes" (which my OC does not have) and then I dialed a neutral "tan" into the "diffuse" channel, turning the white areas more of a "cream" hue"

Sincerely,

Bill

Are you still using poser or have you switched to DS?

Post edited by pwiecek on

@Redfern and @Divamakeup thank you for your lovely comments smiley 

@Divamakeup I'm loving everything you are doing with your cat girls. I really hadn't realised just how much it was possible to change figures.

@Redfern I've wishlisted the 'Fisher Cat' set and I'm already waiting to get Hiro 3 at a good price because when I picked up Melody I picked the Melody and Micah Bundle because it was the better deal (and I love a bargain smiley).

pwiecek said:
    Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

Are you still using poser or have you switched to DS?

Still a Poser luddite, probably making me something of a pariah around here.blush

Sincerely,

Bill

edited May 2019

K'th:  "So, let me get this straight.  We get to 'kick back' and watch movies all the time?  What's so bad about that?"

Servo:  "That's the operative word, kiddo...'bad'.  They are are exceedingly bad movies!"

K'th:  "So?  We'll just stop the film."

Crow:  "No can do, kitten.  Joel used those special parts when he made us."

K'th:  "Then we'll just leave the theater."

Gypsy:  "And step into a perfect vacuum!  The Mads evacuate all the air from the rest of the station..."

K'th:  "...to ensure we stay in our seats.  Right."

Servo:  "By, Jove, I think she's got it!"

Crow:  "If It's fleas, I don't want them!"

Gypsy:  "You're already infested with nannites..."

HONK!  HONK!!  HONK!!!

'Bots (in chorus):  "ARGH!!!  We've got 'movie sign'!!!"

My OC K'th "hangin'" with a trio of familiar faces, the 'Bots from "Mystery Science Theater 3000".

These are actually a collection of "parented" props using parts from two different sources, ALT1701's freebies at ShareCG and LopieLoo's XNALara based models at Deviant Art.

However, a far more Poser/DAZ friendly solution is in the works.  "Dodger" has released a Crow T. Robot rigged as a proper figure, complete with proper "counterlever" lamp arm action, which can be downloaded for free, here...

http://threednd.com/CrowTRobot.html

If the arms seem different, Dodger's is based upon Crow's slightly updated design from the recent NetFlix series.  Basically, Joel Hodgeson "beefed up" the arms so they don't look as spindly as they once appeared.  That's one change I did not mind.

Anyway, Dodger has promised that Both Tom Servo (the gumball dispenser 'Bot) and Gypsy (composed of two baby car seats) are also on the way.  When?  Sorry, I have no idea, but he clearly stated it within an e-mail he sent me.

Sincerely,

Bill

Kth-w-Bots-J-7.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 123K
    Post edited by Redfern on

Great show and really cute render! Poor K'th! Stuck watching all those bad movies! lol It's fun seeing the MST3K crew hanging out with your OC. :)

Strand based hair is here! :D 

Thistle based character with some "quick and dirty" fur settings. It needs work but I think it turned out cute. :)

Oooh, interesting. I'm not using the Daz Studio beta version yet because the last time I tried it (though it was some months ago) I couldn't get pwToon to work in it. I need to take another look at it some time soon.

I must admit that's a rather impressive effect.  I do notice you avoided any "strands" close to the mouth. Stylistic choice or limitations of the new function?

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern said:

I must admit that's a rather impressive effect.  I do notice you avoided any "strands" close to the mouth. Stylistic choice or limitations of the new function?

Sincerely,

Bill

Limitations of my knowledge, I'm afraid. lol I wasn't aware, at the time, that you could create a "density map" or even a second strand hair base that allows for shorter and less dense hair in areas of your choosing. So now that I know about those I'll have to do some more experimenting. :) 

edited May 2019

The sales have been excellent over the last few days and I've manage to pick up the Furries' Bundle, Furries' Fisher Cat, Hiro 3, and Melody 2 at a good discount. This is Melody for A3 with the Fisher Cat settings.

Melody-Fisher-Cat-MollyTabbyWEBResized.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 701K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on