dForce Hair (as well as strand based hair and the strand based hair editor) in public beta

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    twitchew said:
    Oso3D said:

It totally works in Iray.

I have Big Plans (tm); fur has been my holy grail for years...

i am going to buy the heck out of what you make! (i have some lycanthropes and felines that really could use some nice coats.if you find some formulas please share

I look forward to seeing how those plans work out too...!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,699

I have a “furry” character in my story.  He is a kitty elf or a kelf (which is combination of Kitty and Elf).  My question is how would the fur on the furry people work with clothing?  Basically they still do have their anatomical elements.  I guess I got to create textures for those geografts when I create my Kelves for Genesis 8.   Also how does it work with geografts as in the tail or geografts to remove fingers?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited May 2019

W-w-w-what? But this is amazing! Why aren’t more people going bananas for this announcement?

Probably because it's a not the stongest wording in the title   It would probably get more attention if the thread title was just "NEW dFORCE hair and Strand Actions!!!!!"

Also, most people are still at work and probably haven't checked out the forums yet. :) 

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2019

Yeah, been playing around a lot with GB hair lately, been struggling  trying to convert them to .obj to make them conform, and so they can be seen by dFormers and dForce, so definitely looking forward to testing this stuff:)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961
    Cybersox said:

W-w-w-what? But this is amazing! Why aren’t more people going bananas for this announcement?

Probably because it's a not the stongest wording in the title   It would probably get more attention if the thread title was just "NEW dFORCE hair and Strand Actions!!!!!"

Also, most people are still at work and probably haven't checked out the forums yet. :) 

Probably more the second part. Or people are at work and see the forums, but can't try it out themselves until they get home. And no one is showing renders of how it looks, which is helping me to keep my expectations in check.
    Cybersox said:

Probably more the second part. Or people are at work and see the forums, but can't try it out themselves until they get home. And no one is showing renders of how it looks, which is helping me to keep my expectations in check.

I just got home and about to check it out.  I did not work but went to an activity center.  I did not have a chance to look at it because my hotspot is not the fastest in the world (due to the fact I do not want to pay for that)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

That is kind of neat and I'm downloading it now. I had bought Girabaldi but never tried using it. I also bought LAMH but the styling tools, my PC, and my two right hands weren't up to the task for the complexities I wanted to attempt.

• Interesting, but....can't help wondering how much computing power and memory is going to be needed to handle all those strands in sensible timescales.  Like Iray, could become a source of some frustration for those of us unable to shell out large sums for new hardware.

I would have much preferred a proper, working IK system - posing would be sooo much easier.  That would be much less resource-hungry for sure.  (And the option to turn off auto-keyframing before it drives me nuts.)

• kimhkimh Posts: 386

This looks like so much fun. Can 't wait to try it out

Wonder how soon until we can find the new hair technology products in the store?  Also if I start to create a hair or fur preset for a(some) product(s), would it(they) still work when this feature is added to the official version of DS 4.11?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

Wonder how soon until we can find the new hair technology products in the store?  Also if I start to create a hair or fur preset for a(some) product(s), would it(they) still work when this feature is added to the official version of DS 4.11?

This is a beta, and the first one for this feature, which means there could definitely be changes made to the system before the general release (to fix bugs for example). Hair made with the beta version will probably still work with the general release, but there's no guarantee they will.

For the same reason, we'll probably have to wait a bit before products using the system are released.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975

Hey hey, gave it a good go, since I've used these things for a bit... and then it blanked out the viewport, and spat into error log:

2019-05-15 01:28:20.413 OpenGL error while drawing to the viewport:
    2019-05-15 01:28:20.506 OpenGL Error encountered. Method: DzVBOPack::bindVBOs. File: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\opengl\dzvbopack.cpp Line: 195 Error code: 1286. <- about bazillion lines of this.

Bummer! I was making nice progress and I managed to do one spot render of hair-to-be (though to be honest, no big deal to lose it, since it was a test), and then I realized that I couldn't do the usual zoom in and spin in my normal viewport, and eeeeevery viewport in all major tabs are also black.

Does someone have fun ideas about how to fix this?

AMD CPU 8 cores + 980Ti with loads of VRAM and CUDAs, 32 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit.

Tiny setback aside, this was FUN! I can't wait to have it in stable version!

viewport_blacked_out.png
    1919 x 1053 - 91K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

Have you got the latest driver?

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564

Not bad at all; the interface is pretty good and runs very smooth on my pc. Now, if I knew anything about hairdressing or style, this could be great.

strandtest.png
    834 x 1080 - 977K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited May 2019

Have you got the latest driver?

It looks like "save the scene, close DS, start DS and open scene" fixed it for more testing, so IDK, I guess DS was just confused about encountering this for the first time? I don't see more errors in the log anymore.

Edited to add: I saved the scene with hair doodled, so I didn't have to start from scratch again and that MAY make a difference, though I'm not going to start testing it at 2:20 am... nini wink

Post edited by Skiriki on

Do I need a skullcap?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

I tried some chest hair. I just twirled some dials without knowing much about what they do yet. Lots to learn!

Floyd HD Chest Hair_003.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 952K
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    barbult said:

I tried some chest hair. I just twirled some dials without knowing much about what they do yet. Lots to learn!

Awesome! :D 

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961
    Hm, ok, that chest hair has me interested, depending on how it can be controlled. It almost looks like it is following hair direction patterns that wild make sense for that area.
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

KNEW it! LOL

Laurie

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Hm, ok, that chest hair has me interested, depending on how it can be controlled. It almost looks like it is following hair direction patterns that wild make sense for that area.

The strand hair has the ability to style it. So you can "comb it" to go in whatever direction you want. Pretty cool! :)

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

I have questions.  Lots of questions.  But they're questions that can wait until I've seen what others do with this.

(I get nervous about using betas, so I generally don't any more.)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

Will it sync with animation on animals?

that was always the killer for me with LAMH until I recently found a workaround having a dual quarternion figure with hair in the scene hidden if needed 

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Hurry up with the documentation lol

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Does this work on other figures? I only see Genesis 8 listed. How about other Genesis models and non standard models like animals?

How stable is this beta for people? Since there is no way to revert Daz, I don't want to update into a major problem. We seriously need a way to revert to a previous beta version if it breaks something. I use 4.11.0.236. I did not update to x.335 because of the issues being reported by users.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Does this work on other figures? I only see Genesis 8 listed. How about other Genesis models and non standard models like animals?

How stable is this beta for people? Since there is no way to revert Daz, I don't want to update into a major problem. We seriously need a way to revert to a previous beta version if it breaks something. I use 4.11.0.236. I did not update to x.335 because of the issues being reported by users.

Same here.

Laurie

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited May 2019

It'll work on anything, I'm pretty sure.

(There might be some UV weirdness on particularly strange objects, but most things should work; primitives, chairs, etc)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 574

Has anyone tried using the strand based hair with dForce or converting it to work with dForce? That would be very useful for long hair styles.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    Quasar said:

Has anyone tried using the strand based hair with dForce or converting it to work with dForce? That would be very useful for long hair styles.

I thought the whole point is that it's dForce by default?

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited May 2019

It would be good if it could make a decent mane for the Daz horse.

I'm really pleased to see Garibaldi revived. I always got on better with that than I did with LAMH, but stopped using it after it appeared the product had been abandoned. Evidently I am well out of practice as my first attempt with the strand-based hair shows (although Our Heroine looks surprisingly cheerful for someone with a hairdo that could have been done in the dark with a garden strimmer!). It would have been a sight worse if I'd never used Garibaldi before though and hadn't been able to remember bits and pieces. I can see a lot of potential here once we're all a bit more used to it. It does take a noticeable amount of processor power (at least it does if your computer is like mine and far from being the fastest) but it renders pretty quickly. I only let the attached go as far as 70% and so it's not optimum, it just gives an idea of what can be achieved can be achieved by the unskillful and how much room for improvement there still is for the talented to take advantage of :)

SBH.jpg
    400 x 400 - 80K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on