The Hackers got to my XP Complaint Thread

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited October 2013

nice reptile/dragon animal.

Screenshot of the day - this warning scares me. I just want to download the new version of OpenOffice.org. Hopefully someone did not hack the servers. I have not seen this warning for OpenOffice.org before. Therefore, I should not proceed.

open_office.jpg
    757 x 405 - 86K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

Open Office is now called Libre Office and you get it here http://www.libreoffice.org/

read all about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Screenshot of the day - this warning scares me. I just want to download the new version of OpenOffice.org. Hopefully someone did not hack the servers. I have not seen this warning for OpenOffice.org before. Therefore, I should not proceed.

It seems that you can't connect directly to the home page via SSL. Notice the https:// in the address. I just tried and the explanation received, to me, indicates that the home page is not covered by the SSL certificate. If you use only http:// then you should be able to connect. This is a big problem these days. Many sites allow plain text connections, and then later send you to a secure page for certain functions. However, this opens the doors to a man-in-the-middle attack. It seems not many sites, even very big and very active ones, have caught on to this and updated their sites. I have made my site force an SSL connection upon any page request. It's not rocket science, so it surprises me that these big sites haven't done it.

Anyway, try it without the "s" and you should be fine.

Dana

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited October 2013

i did not hear about the name change or the new website. :red: thanks. i'm always the last to know about new software and stuff. why, I am only seriously starting to play with Genesis now that Genesis 2 (and Josie 6) are out. lol

edit:
    I did not know about changing the text from https to http. My expertise is with legacy software and hardware, not networking.

so i guess my complaint will be related to websites with misconfigured Secured Socket Layer certificates. grr

ok, bye.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited October 2013

chohole said:
    Open Office is now called Libre Office and you get it here http://www.libreoffice.org/

read all about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

Odd, because the OpenOffice page is still there.

However, you can get to this site via SSL certificate by using https://www.libreoffice.org. It doesn't give the error page like OpenOffice.org does. I'm impressed with that.

Dana

ETA: It stays in secure mode when you click on links to other pages, too!

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,342
    edited December 1969

Open office is no more. Libreoffice bought them out. Here is where you can get it http://www.libreoffice.org/. Our local schools use it and it's what the kids work on while at school and they suggest to all parents to get it so the kids don't get confused from several didn't programs

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

is a nice chilly night to do a puzzle and make popcorn and hot chocolate.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    DanaTA said:
    i started out searching for public domain christmas songs and ended up at ostinato. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostinato

are barbershop quartets always dudes?

so it seems songs before 1922 are public domain.

Well, let me see...how many dudettes have you seen in a barber shop? Getting a shave and a trim?

Dana

There used to be (still are?) female manicurists in big city barbershops in the movies and TV shows, although I don't remember them singing.
    I seem to recall seeing Lucy dressed up as a Barbershop Quartet singer once (complete with handlebar mustache); she was probably trying to sneak into Ricky's stage show. Isn't "Why can't I be in your show, Ricky?" the plot of every I Love Lucy episode? :)

:) remember the one, she finally gets a role and she supposed to fall and play dead, but she ... um ... over dramatizes it. tee hee :lol:

and the classic, looking for her ring in the barbq,

edited December 1969

It's only been in the 50's the last couple days. I had to turn my heat on.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. Warming up under a big bright blue sky so far today, no smokey bits in the air for us, but further north there are many fires and much suffering, just glad I'm not on the food truck roster this month :>)

edited December 1969

we pwnd the Sun today \m/

edited December 1969

i guess it's time to bring the a/c in from the window.

can't decide to put on 5th Element or Futurama.

edited December 1969

apache is an open source server distributed by the Apache software foundation, www.apache.org

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

tennis with the sun :)

is saturday looking good?

edited December 1969

Tough choice. I guess it depends on if you want to settle in or keep changing episodes.

Dana

edited December 1969

I'm thinking about turning the laptop on and go and relax in my chair. Turn on AMC that is running scary movies all month.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    Morning. Chilly wind but sunny outside under a big bright blue sky that seems to go forever. No hint of smoke in the air but further north there are many wildfires :>)

Stay warm and safe!

Dana

Went walking down by the river at Avon Valley, it was blowy but warm and boy stuff has grown since the floods a few months ago :>)

Floods tend to do that in those types of terrain. Glad you're safe.

Dana

Yes we're OK, is the land of drought and flooding rains so used to it all. Except the last fires here were real traumatic :|

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

tennis with the sun :)

is saturday looking good?

Great so far *\o/*

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    Morning. Chilly wind but sunny outside under a big bright blue sky that seems to go forever. No hint of smoke in the air but further north there are many wildfires :>)

Stay warm and safe!

Dana

Went walking down by the river at Avon Valley, it was blowy but warm and boy stuff has grown since the floods a few months ago :>)

Dana

Yes we're OK, is the land of drought and flooding rains so used to it all. Except the last fires here were real traumatic :|

You're not in the area with the wild fires are you.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I'm thinking about turning the laptop on and go and relax in my chair. Turn on AMC that is running scary movies all month.

John Carpenter films on TV here, last night was They Live

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Tough choice. I guess it depends on if you want to settle in or keep changing episodes.

Dana

gotta luv Bender :)

edited October 2013

Frank0314 said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Stay warm and safe!

Dana

Dana

You're not in the area with the wild fires are you.

Real bad around Sydney, that's north of us, there are small fires around Melbourne right now and we're getting lots of alerts and big winds. We just prepare for the worst and hope for the best in conditions like these, hopefully we had our turn for a while :>)

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Frank0314 said:

I think they have zombie movies on tonight. idk haven't had the TV on at all yet today.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,006
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Stay warm and safe!

Dana

Dana

"Oh you come from a land down under?...
    You better run, you better take cover."

edited October 2013

Halloween Humor render drop .

Junior: Hey Pop, since it's Halloween what d'ya say we go Trick or Treatin'?
    The Monster: Mmmmm...candy...good...
    Junior: Best Dad ever!

Halloween is coming... :)

ETA: Zev0's Growing Up for Genesis (1)

son_of_the_monster_smalll.jpg
    1066 x 1200 - 415K
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Frank0314 said:

Oh, I loved that movie!

Dana

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Halloween Humor render drop .

Junior: Hey Pop, since it's Halloween what d'ya say we go Trick or Treatin'?
    The Monster: Mmmmm...candy...good...
    Junior: Best Dad ever!

Halloween is coming... :)

ETA: Zev0's Growing Up for Genesis (1)

Love it!

Dana

edited December 1969

I don't think I've ever seen it. Is it a zombie movie? If it is that's probably why I didn't watch it. Not a big fan of them. Give me the slasher up movies

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:
    Frank0314 said:

Oh, I loved that movie!

Dana
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @$$... and I'm all out of bubblegum."

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I don't think I've ever seen it. Is it a zombie movie? If it is that's probably why I didn't watch it. Not a big fan of them. Give me the slasher up movies

"Aliens among us" movie. Campy but very entertaining.
This discussion has been closed.