CARRARA CHALLENGE 46: Get your Retro on

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

So glad you got to participate, @namtar3d. Great job. Wish I had Octane.

INSPIRATION?

If anyone is a PC member, the May freebie is a retro computer and electronics prop set.

https://www.daz3d.com/8bit-retro-v2

Can’t half tell where some of the inspiration may come from.  cool  laugh

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    namtar3d said:

Hi there!, i have not much time lately, but i really wanted to join this challenge, so i make this... 

There's not much i can contribute about knowledge in this forum, almost every trick i have learned for carrara, comes from here, or the user manual hahahaa

Anyway, i will explain my scene, sorry if it is too basic:

The hologram figures i make them using a simple cube modified in the modeling room, Then i use extrusion for al the facets, and created a new material group for the extruded squares.  Then i make that squares invisible, and give the rest of the figure an emisive material (in octane render). I think in carrara native renderer you can make the same with glow effect. 

For the outfit, i used a very amazing outfit by AerySoul called iVe  (NLA), that already have very nice glowing maps that can ve converted to emisive in octane render.  

Excellent work namtar3d, glad you found the time to join in !!!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited May 2019

This is by no means the final scene, a lot more to do...a lot. Well, but anyways, I modeled two simple monster figures, a 'husband' and 'wife'. They'll be sitting in their chairs (those chairs are just stand-ins at the moment) listening to an old radio, sort of like a 40's retro living room scene...

retro_wip_001.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 99K
    blue_monster_assembly.jpg
    1478 x 1026 - 128K
    blue_monster_vm.jpg
    1475 x 1018 - 118K
    pink_monster_assembly.jpg
    1471 x 1018 - 114K
    pink_monster_vm.jpg
    1477 x 1024 - 118K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

This is by no means the final scene, a lot more to do...a lot. Well, but anyways, I modeled two simple monster figures, a 'husband' and 'wife'. They'll be sitting in their chairs (those chairs are just stand-ins at the moment) listening to an old radio, sort of like a 40's retro living room scene...

Monster Muppets - looking great !!!

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 237

So glad you got to participate, @namtar3d. Great job. Wish I had Octane.

INSPIRATION?

If anyone is a PC member, the May freebie is a retro computer and electronics prop set.

https://www.daz3d.com/8bit-retro-v2

Thank you very much Diomede! I love to participate this challenges

A week to go, get those entries finished, and get the finished entries onto the Entry Thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/323706/carrara-challenge-46-get-your-retro-on-entry-thread#latest

• shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250

this is it

toon fantasy wood1j.jpg
    3500 x 2625 - 5M

this is it

Looking great shlomi !!

Are you able to update your entry with Credits (items used) & Links to WIP Thread ?

edited May 2019

How to get your Links to WIP Thread

Comments Link 1.png
    1774 x 1000 - 187K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Selina has released some wonderful Checker shaders - check them out:- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/325236/out-the-box-checkers

Days are ticking over people, get those entries sorted !!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

sorry I had another one base don the moon but went over the 4 gig limit - can you say f5435443%%%^77566@@@@@@@@@@@ ! on the forum :)?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027
    edited May 2019

Days are ticking over people, get those entries sorted !!!

I haven't given up.  Just been distracted lately.  

If you remember the race track and terrain, 

then here is the low res toy car

BUT - it only has simple base shaders right now.  

car test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Shlomi - well done - almost missed it.  

Headwax - oh nooooooooooo!  Hope you can salvage.

DesertDude - wow, great figures and great hair

edited May 2019

Some Shader Work - Working on the Tire Treads

New scene with black background

Created a replicator with simple primitives setup for angled bars

Rendered out

Placed on UVMap for the tire tread

Test Render

EDIT:  Oh no!  My angled tread is angled in the wrong direction!

aa06a tire tread render replicator.JPG
    1442 x 741 - 102K
    aa06aa tire tread render replicator.JPG
    1438 x 830 - 89K
    aa06b tire tread render replicator.JPG
    1573 x 743 - 162K
    aa06c tire tread on uvmap.JPG
    1385 x 741 - 118K
    aa06d tire tread test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    edited May 2019

Some More Shader Work

Intermediate Step for side of tires

Bugs bunny line when he is announcer for a car race - "Pneumatic Tire is flat!"

I want to have Pneumatic tire written on the side of the tire, but my tire UV is circular. Need the writing to be bent.  So, I started a new scene in Carrara with black background.Inserted a text object.  Converted to a vertex object.  Used the bone tool to create a simple skeleton.  Do a test render of the text against the black backgroud.  Attached the text to the bones and bent the text for an arch.  Could probably apply a modifier, but I struggle with the bend/twist modifier.

Oops.  Then I discover a typo.  Argh.

Typo Fixed

aa04 pnuematic tire convert to vertex modeler.JPG
    1262 x 748 - 121K
    aa05 pnuematic tire boned.JPG
    1534 x 841 - 123K
    aa05 pnuematic tire posed oh crap see the typo.JPG
    1361 x 783 - 73K
    tire testrender.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    typo fixed.jpg
    640 x 480 - 30K

sorry I had another one base don the moon but went over the 4 gig limit - can you say f5435443%%%^77566@@@@@@@@@@@ ! on the forum :)?

As in "Far Out" angel or "something using more colourful adjectives" devil

Is a PITA when that happens, hope you can get the scene back & running okay.

Don't forget to put your entries in the entry thread !

Some More Shader Work

Intermediate Step for side of tires

Bugs bunny line when he is announcer for a car race - "Pneumatic Tire is flat!"

I want to have Pneumatic tire written on the side of the tire, but my tire UV is circular. Need the writing to be bent.  So, I started a new scene in Carrara with black background.Inserted a text object.  Converted to a vertex object.  Used the bone tool to create a simple skeleton.  Do a test render of the text against the black backgroud.  Attached the text to the bones and bent the text for an arch.  Could probably apply a modifier, but I struggle with the bend/twist modifier.

Oops.  Then I discover a typo.  Argh.

Typo Fixed

Once again, looking great !!!

Headwax, Diomede, DesertDude, wscottart, Dartanbeck, MDO2010, Mystarra, UnifiedBrain, Vyusur, de3an, clock is ticking down to the 11th when voting starts, get those entries in !!!!

thanks Bunyip 02 !! A few of mine I have made ineligable by stupidly posting somewhere else - sorry about that!!

edited May 2019

thanks Bunyip 02 !! A few of mine I have made ineligable by stupidly posting somewhere else - sorry about that!!

I'll excuse the posting elsewhere, so list them in the entries thread, they look great !!!!

PS - Just struck through the posted elsewhere clause in the DaRules !

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited May 2019

Post edited by Headwax on

I'm working full time now on my entry.  smiley

Will post some more WIPS later today/tonight.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks Bunyip.  Working on a new entry, hopefully done by Friday.

edited May 2019

Here are some more scene assets I modeled: the blue chair, the orange chair, the radio, the round table and the floor lamp. I also rigged the two characters, though those aren't the final poses. Still plan on adding a few more elements and making a subtle wallpaper pattern. Colors are still fluid and subject to change, and the lighting is barely touched. 

retro_wip_003.jpg
    1280 x 900 - 103K
    blue_chair_vm.jpg
    1469 x 802 - 92K
    chair_002_vm.jpg
    1476 x 810 - 106K
    radio_vm.jpg
    1468 x 815 - 83K
    round_table_vm.jpg
    743 x 809 - 87K
    floor_lamp_vm.jpg
    1388 x 805 - 89K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

Here are some more scene assets I modeled: the blue chair, the orange chair, the radio, the round table and the floor lamp. I also rigged the two characters, though those aren't the final poses. Still plan on adding a few more elements and making a subtle wallpaper pattern. Colors are still fluid and subject to change, and the lighting is barely touched. 

Excellent - looking forward to the final render !!!

Thanks Bunyip.  Working on a new entry, hopefully done by Friday.

Hope everthing goes well !!

Sigh

Because Bunyip had emphasized that animations were allowed, I had really wanted to enter an animation of my cars circling the track but it isn't going to get done.  I'm just not comfortable with the animation tools yet. Lots of little things are going wrong, such as the cars turning sideways when I try to align them to the path.  No single issue is a big deal, or unsurmountable, but there are just too many little things going wrong.  I'll enter a still.  Here is something Yucky, but I did creat shaders for the cars.

aaaaaaargh.jpg
    640 x 480 - 41K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

Sigh

Because Bunyip had emphasized that animations were allowed, I had really wanted to enter an animation of my cars circling the track but it isn't going to get done.  I'm just not comfortable with the animation tools yet. Lots of little things are going wrong, such as the cars turning sideways when I try to align them to the path.  No single issue is a big deal, or unsurmountable, but there are just too many little things going wrong.  I'll enter a still.  Here is something Yucky, but I did creat shaders for the cars.

Parent them to a target helper that tracks the path

then you can manually tweak them where needed