Hexagon Toolbox and Interface Tutorial

Hello, my fellow Hexagon enthusiast.  I'm starting a series of Hexagon tutorials on YouTube this year by going over the basics of 3D modeling and then moving forward to more advanced stuff. To do this, I need to share my custom key command set that I use. This thing has become essential for me to build assets quickly and get them into other applications like DAZ Studio and Blender etc. Initially, I was going to make a Udemy course on this, but I've now decided to share this for free.  You can find my 3D toolkit key-command reference guide here:  

https://maxhancock.co/the-hexagon-3d-toolbox/

And for an introduction to the Hexagon interface, and sorry I know many of you in the forums know all this already, I provide a video tutorial for beginners here: 

Have a look, and let me know if you think this is something that will help you with Hexagon and your modeling projects.  I need some encouragement. :)

Comments

• Subscribed.

• I liked that Max, I've subscibed so I wont miss anything :)

• GGreat!  Thanks for the encouragement.  Next one coming up soon. It's still for beginners, but it will progressively get more advanced. 

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,196

Nice downloadable chart. This is the sort of documentation/add-on that spells it out, that I like!

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Love the chart! And subscribed to your YouTube channel as well. I'm always on the lookout for 3D tutorials from people who know what they're doing. :)

• subscribed and looking forward to your tutorials

• MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
    edited January 2019

Thank you for your support! I'm glad you are finding value in the video and tool guide!   

I just posted a new lesson for beginners, it's a low poly modeling tutorial. You can find it on my channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-nnNeTuSYrkAJ2HqshmVVw

Take care! 

Post edited by MaxHancock on
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited January 2019

Thank you Max, learnt something new - I did not know about the flipping orientation of the view (when you were making the engine). 

Great first tutorial, I really enjoyed it :)

Edit - I wonder if we can get this post stickied so its easier to find ? 

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Thank you, John!  I'm no expert, but I do have a few tricks I've learned along the way. :)  I don't know about sticking post, but I stared it, so I get notifications to in case someone has questions.  

• Ricky1Ricky1 Posts: 1

subscribed and looking forward to more

edited February 2019

I really liked your latest tutorial, the way you finished the top of the rook (60deg part) was very informative. It's little tricks like this (and the others you mentioned) everyone needs to add to their tool box.

Hope you don't mind, but I've mentioned your tutorials on the FaceBook's Hexagon group. 

• I really liked your latest tutorial, the way you finished the top of the rook (60deg part) was very informative. It's little tricks like this (and the others you mentioned) everyone needs to add to their tool box.

Hope you don't mind, but I've mentioned your tutorials on the FaceBook's Hexagon group. 

Thanks!  I didn't know there was a Facebook group.  Yes, please share as much as you like!  I'm glad you found it helpful! The videos aren't easy to make, but I can't wait to share more. 

Thanks all for your support. Cheers.   

edited February 2019

Here's a link to the Hexagon Group on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/HexagonModelers/

At the moment one of the modelers is making things for his 3D printer which I find very interesting, someone else is using their props to make a game.

• Thanks for sharing!  I'm going to try and join. 

I'm still at it! :) I'm starting to explain more advanced techniques in the second part of my Box Modeling with Hexagon series. https://youtu.be/gh9N3FvbPeY

That video is GREAT, Max! Although I understood edge flow in general, you do a good job of showing how flow works and can be controlled in Hexagon. I've done some of the control loops and stuff like you were showing, but the process I had "found" on my own was manually intensive and took a lot more time. I also have this habit of getting a bit "OCDish" about accuracy and so showing that you don't need to be decimal perfect on things like control loops may help me progress much more quickly.

I've started sharing your channel with people I know who are advanced Daz Studio artists who are probably a point where learning to make some objects on their own would be a good next step in their learning.

JonnyRay,  I'm glad you liked it!  I know what you mean about the OCD aspect of it. Trust me— I'm the same way. It took me a while to learn to loosen up and experiment to see what works. 

Thank you for sharing it!  

• That one snook past me, you covered a lot there Max and explained edge flow etc very well. - Excellent tutorial, a must see :) 

Thank you, John!  I really appreciate hearing that.  I have much more to cover, so stay tuned!  :)

Max snuck another one past us. :) Great video about how to deal with areas of the mesh where you need to reduce the edges from one section to another without compromising edge flow. I think I need to watch it a few more times to understand it all. :)

edited April 2019

Although I found Max's take on flow reduction very useful, I had a hard time remembering the structures he showed for the various ratios. So I used Visio to create myself some reference documents on how to reduce edge complexity. Maybe some of you will find it useful too?

EdgeFlowReduction.png
    1009 x 746 - 25K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on

Looks good!  Thanks JonnyRay. There are even more, but it was hard to show in one video. Mostly, I was trying to show that there's a general pattern to follow. If more are interested, I'll make a guide one day. 

• Thanks Max, and Jonny. Edge flow (reducing geometry) is far from the easiest thing to explain and get your head around. 

Thanks guys!   So,  I'm still working a big modeing tutorial. But in the mean time, I posted a new video that's all about using Symmetry with Hexagon, if you are looing for someting to watch while you have lunch. :) 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-nnNeTuSYrkAJ2HqshmVVw

I learned so much in that, Max. Especially the latter parts where you showed using cloning as a way to simplify symmetry. And making the bike tire...So much easier than what I was doing with my car tire. I need to revisit my whole approach there.

• I agree, that was a very interesting tutorial, thanks again Max :)

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Thanks guys!  Glad you found it helpful!  I have more in the works, but pesky client work is getting in the way.  More coming next week!

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931

@MaxHancock This is a really good intro Max! Thank you!

Good morning friends!   I have a new Hexagon totorial posted. This one is all about snapping and alignment.