Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.335! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370
    edited March 2019

A friend of mine is having a weird issue with 4.11 beta where his 4 x 1080ti's rendering in Iray and stop rendering and it goes to CPU 

I have found that having Optix Prime acceleration on can cause Iray to fall back to CPU rendering especially when using more than one GPU.  Sometimes it's also good to uncheck the CPU in advanced setting too

Interesting. I also have 4x 1080 ti's....

(I keep the CPU unchecked at all times)

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • surodysurody Posts: 261
    edited March 2019

I face the same issue like the people above me. I got 2x 1080ti and after rendering the first frame of a image sequence, it jumps to CPU on the second frame and forward and takes forever. (newest Nvidia driver)
    This seems to a be a issue with OptiX (happens only when activated).

Edit: Daz Studio 4.11 beta or Daz Studio 4.10 Live doesn't matter. The issue appears on both.

Post edited by surody on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370
    surody said:

I face the same issue like the people above me. I got 2x 1080ti and after rendering the first frame of a image sequence, it jumps to CPU on the second frame and forward and takes forever. (newest Nvidia driver)

Surody, does this also happen to you on 4.10?

surody said:

Yes, it appears to be a issue with 4.10 too. I guess it's the newest Nvidia driver.

• paulbungardpaulbungard Posts: 52
    edited March 2019

Ok, so this driver problem we are having Nvidia's Forums mods seem to be blaming Daz for not updating to the newest Iray build. As if they did it would fix new driver issues. 

Now I'm having problems with my 1080ti and 2080ti not wanting to render in Iray this is ridiculous     

• Source maintenance

• Update to NVIDIA Iray 2018.1.3 (312200.3564); addresses denoiser issue on RTX cards; requires 418.81 driver or newer

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.169

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.313

Post edited by paulbungard on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Ok, so this driver problem we are having Nvidia's Forums mods seem to be blaming Daz for not updating to the newest Iray build. As if they did it would fix new driver issues. 

Now I'm having problems with my 1080ti and 2080ti not wanting to render in Iray this is rediculous     

Can you give us a link to that please

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

You sure that was really a mod? lol

I wish software and driver development would go back to a model that looked more like publishing. Dependencies make the constant release of new versions a nightmare. "Beta" means nothing anymore.

- Greg

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

A friend of mine is having a weird issue with 4.11 beta where his 4 x 1080ti's rendering in Iray and stop rendering and it goes to CPU 

I have found that having Optix Prime acceleration on can cause Iray to fall back to CPU rendering especially when using more than one GPU.  Sometimes it's also good to uncheck the CPU in advanced setting too

I have found that for quite some time.  And yes, I have found it with 4.10 as well as this version.  Certain scenes want to crash to CPU when using Optix Prime.  If it crashes, I turn Optix off, then it runs fine on GPU.  More common on large scenes that use a lot of VRAM.  Optix must use a certain amount of VRAM, and when on it pushes the usage over the edge.  At least that's my interpretation.  When I'm doing big batches of renders, I just leave it turned off.  There really isn't a huge rendering time savings when it's on anyway.

edited March 2019

areg5 said:

I have found that for quite some time.  And yes, I have found it with 4.10 as well as this version.  Certain scenes want to crash to CPU when using Optix Prime.  If it crashes, I turn Optix off, then it runs fine on GPU.  More common on large scenes that use a lot of VRAM.  Optix must use a certain amount of VRAM, and when on it pushes the usage over the edge.  At least that's my interpretation.  When I'm doing big batches of renders, I just leave it turned off.  There really isn't a huge rendering time savings when it's on anyway.

This still seems to be a issue because of outdated software which has to be fixed ASAP.

Post edited by surody on
    surody said:

areg5 said:

This still seems to be a issue because of outdated software which has to be fixed ASAP.

Well, that would be good.  But I've brought this issue up before and nothing's been done so far.  While they are at it, they should fix the issue with the Beta not clearing the VRAM cache completely.  I presently run my monitor from the intergrated graphics, so when I close 4.10, my VRAM usage drops to nearly zero.  With 4.11, there is always at least 1 GIG that does not clear.  That may be implicated in running out of VRAM for bigger scenes.

• The poster doesn't appear to be a mod, there's no kind of logo or note on its name or in its profile that I can see.

I noticed that when I render a big scene, let's say for example 18GB VRAM, it renders the first frame with 18GB VRAM and when jumping to the second frame in a image sequence, it increased to 23GB VRAM. Daz 4.11 with OptiX activated.

edited March 2019
    surody said:

I noticed that when I render a big scene, let's say for example 18GB VRAM, it renders the first frame with 18GB VRAM and when jumping to the second frame in a image sequence, it increased to 23GB VRAM. Daz 4.11 with OptiX activated.

The only way you could have that much VRAM would be if you were using a Quadro P6000. At least untell Daz can ever use NVlink 

surody said:

The only way you could have that much VRAM would be if you were using a Quadro P6000. At least untell Daz can ever use NVlink 

Not VRAM, just memory, sorry.

• surody said:

That would be an Iray feature, not a DS feature.

surody said:

I batch render, and I watch what the usage does between renders.  Since I'm using 1080 Ti's, my limit is 11 gig.  During batches on 4.10, the usage drops to maybe 200 MB between scenes.  With the Beta, it drops to 1.5-2.5 gig with Optix enabled, so I'm assuming that that VRAM is unavailable.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 547

Sora is definitely NOT a mod. That guy has a history of acting like that there and has been banned several times for it.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited March 2019

I hope you guys are not timing the release of new version with some 3D content update, because we are waiting since September with our hardware not being fully used. We can wait a bit longer for the content and the final version but at least having a beta which can use RTX closer to its full potential would really be nice.

As stated on a number of occassions in these forums, any Iray releases have to be tested internally by DAZ before being rolled out. It may be that an update breaks something, in which case it needs to be fixed either by NVIDIA or by DAZ. Even though NVIDIA release new drivers at least once a month, it doesn't mean there is an Iray update at the same time. We all know that even a driver update can break things, which adds to the workload.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    edited March 2019

OK, so I got it working kind of. I have to load 4.11 up first can't load from a .duf . then go into advanced settings on iray uncheck everything but my one 1080ti  then i can load in a scene to render and it will work if i try to add my 2080ti or anything else it drops back to CPU only. Once you have installed the newer 419.xx drivers it's like a poison to multi-Gpu and RTX cards. Used DDU to uninstall the newer drivers but still won't work with older 416 or 417 drivers 

edited March 2019

OK, so I got it working kind of. I have to load 4.11 up first can't load from a .duf . then go into advanced settings on iray uncheck everything but my one 1080ti  then i can load in a scene to render and it will work if i try to add my 2080ti or anything else it drops back to CPU only. Once you have installed the newer 419.xx drivers it's like a poison to multi-Gpu and RTX cards. Used DDU to uninstall the newer drivers but still won't work with older 416 or 417 drivers 

I have 3 1080Ti's and the latest driver works fine with multiple cards.  This might be an RTX issue.  If you load the latest driver, and use only the RTX card, does it work?  Also, make sure when you run DDU it's in safe mode.

Post edited by areg5 on
    areg5 said:

I have 3 1080Ti's and the latest driver works fine with multiple cards.  This might be an RTX issue.  If you load the latest driver, and use only the RTX card, does it work?  Also, make sure when you run DDU it's in safe mode.

It doesn't. I got 2x 1080ti and with OptiX activated it switches to CPU on the second frame and forward when rendering as image sequence.

• areg5 said:

Nope, the latest driver started all the problems. The RTX Card will do a few iterations then go straight to CPU only. Works fine running other things The Daz private build has an RTX fix to it. I used to be able to go back to driver 417.71 and both cards would work fine together.  

edited March 2019
    surody said:
    areg5 said:

It doesn't. I got 2x 1080ti and with OptiX activated it switches to CPU on the second frame and forward when rendering as image sequence.

Do you run any kind of app like EVGA Precision XOC?  It's noteworthy that I was having some difficulties way back when, with the cards crashing to CPU.  Then I started using XOC, and what I basically do is cap the power on all cards to 60%.  It definitely does not render slower, and doesn't crash.  You may want to try it.  It woirks with any brand of card.  Doesn't have to be an EVGA.  Also, don't use SLI if you are doing so.

Post edited by areg5 on
    edited March 2019
    areg5 said:

Nope, the latest driver started all the problems. The RTX Card will do a few iterations then go straight to CPU only. Works fine running other things The Daz private build has an RTX fix to it. I used to be able to go back to driver 417.71 and both cards would work fine together.  

Then I would do a clean install with the driver that works.  Use DDU is safe mode first to get rid of the driver that doesn't work..  Reinstall the driver that worked for you in the past, and it should all be good.

Post edited by areg5 on
  • areg5 said:
    surody said:
    areg5 said:

Do you run any kind of app like EVGA Precision XOC?  It's noteworthy that I was having some difficulties way back when, with the cards crashing to CPU.  Then I started using XOC, and what I basically do is cap the power on all cards to 60%.  It definitely does not render slower, and doesn't crash.  You may want to try it.  It woirks with any brand of card.  Doesn't have to be an EVGA.  Also, don't use SLI if you are doing so.

areg5 said:
    areg5 said:

Then I would do a clean install with the driver that works.  Use DDU is safe mode first to get rid of the driver that doesn't work..  Reinstall the driver that worked for you in the past, and it should all be good.

Ok, so thanks for the help turns out both your answers were right. I did run DDU a day ago and reinstalled the old drivers. My 1080ti was working fine and the 2080ti would cut out  turns out my 2080ti 's Heatsink was causing thermal throttle before I water cooled it.  that's why they both cut out before.

areg5 said:
    surody said:
    areg5 said:

areg5 said:
    areg5 said:

Ok, so thanks for the help turns out both your answers were right. I did run DDU a day ago and reinstalled the old drivers. My 1080ti was working fine and the 2080ti would cut out  turns out my 2080ti 's Heatsink was causing thermal throttle before I water cooled it.  that's why they both cut out before.

I've found that heat is a serious issue with multiple cards.  When I set XOC to 60% power, what it's mainly doing is limiting the heat to 70 C.  It keeps the cards from cutting out.  It's a great tool.  I think you'll find that the latest driver will work just fine as long as you use XOC.  Believe me, I've had a ton of driver issues in the past year, so I know a working driver when I see one.  The latest one does work.

• stiggstigg Posts: 6
    surody said:

surody said:

Yes, it appears to be a issue with 4.10 too. I guess it's the newest Nvidia driver.

OptiX prime seems to require more temporary vram when the scene geometry is updated than otherwise. This isn't an issue on the first image in a sequence because it does this step before the textures are loaded into vram. However on following frames in the sequence the textures stay loaded in vram, so when it tries to temporarily get some vram to update the geometry and can't, it falls back to cpu.

surody said:

surody said:

OptiX prime seems to require more temporary vram when the scene geometry is updated than otherwise. This isn't an issue on the first image in a sequence because it does this step before the textures are loaded into vram. However on following frames in the sequence the textures stay loaded in vram, so when it tries to temporarily get some vram to update the geometry and can't, it falls back to cpu.

Yes, but it can't because of a software error not because I don't have enough VRAM because I didn't have those issues before updating to the driver 419+

This discussion has been closed.