Skin Builder 8 Merchant Resource for Genesis 8 Female (Commercial)

Comments

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096
    Sigurd said:

Is there a way I can load a previous skin I created using this to just tweak a couple of details instead of recreating it from scratch?

Thank you.

There's a tutorial for that. Zev mentioned it earlier.

• pete_46df1ca3pete_46df1ca3 Posts: 9
    edited January 2019
    Sigurd said:

Is there a way I can load a previous skin I created using this to just tweak a couple of details instead of recreating it from scratch?

Thank you.

Thanks.

Can somebody provide a link to this tutorial please?

I've tried following the instructions in the installed user guide but that doesn't work on my system. I'm probably doing something very silly but this is what happens;

1. Create a new scene with a single G8F object.
    2. Select the whole object
    3. go into Skinbuilder
    4. change the skin colour and click build
    5. new skin created messagebox appears and the object is coloured correctly
    6. Click on close in skinbuilder
    7. open skinbuilder again and go to skin.
    8. The previous values have been replaced by the defaults.

Is this correct or should I be doing something else?

(Currently running Daz 4.11.0.236)

Post edited by pete_46df1ca3 on
  • Sigurd said:

Thank you.

Thanks.

I've tried following the instructions in the installed user guide but that doesn't work on my system. I'm probably doing something very silly but this is what happens;

3. go into Skinbuilder

That's right, it doesn't store a recipe as such but the output maps (as far as I know).

• Sigurd said:

Thank you.

Thanks.

3. go into Skinbuilder

That's right, it doesn't store a recipe as such but the output maps (as far as I know).

Ok many thanks for that.

So, it seems that once you have left the SB8 script dialog the only way to recover the settings is to use a screen grab, write them down using old pen and paper technology or recover them from the 'Shader:Iray Uber' editor section in the Surfaces tab and then manually re-enter into SB8.

Interesting approach to user frendliness.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Sigurd said:

Thank you.

Thanks.

3. go into Skinbuilder

Ok many thanks for that.

So, it seems that once you have left the SB8 script dialog the only way to recover the settings is to use a screen grab, write them down using old pen and paper technology or recover them from the 'Shader:Iray Uber' editor section in the Surfaces tab and then manually re-enter into SB8.

Found this reply, if it helps you.

• dawnblade said:
    Sigurd said:

Thank you.

Thanks.

3. go into Skinbuilder

Ok many thanks for that.

Found this reply, if it helps you.

Thanks.

I have tried both options given in that reply but neither work.

When I used it for Alyssa, I saved a Character Preset AND a Materials Preset, and have had no problems with the new skin. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you. I did run through a couple of characters that had existing skins I added to, and that went reasonably well.

Maybe try one of those?

• When I used it for Alyssa, I saved a Character Preset AND a Materials Preset, and have had no problems with the new skin. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you. I did run through a couple of characters that had existing skins I added to, and that went reasonably well.

Maybe try one of those?

Where did you save the presets and how were they named? 

I've tried copying the character and skin materials presets to the Temp files directory using the same name as the scene but no luck.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,812

When I used it for Alyssa, I saved a Character Preset AND a Materials Preset, and have had no problems with the new skin. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you. I did run through a couple of characters that had existing skins I added to, and that went reasonably well.

Maybe try one of those?

I've tried copying the character and skin materials presets to the Temp files directory using the same name as the scene but no luck.

Do you mean that you actually saved the presets INTO the Studio Temp files directory?

If that's what you mean, it can't work. Studio is designed to clear the temp directory when it's closed correctly. You need to save them in a user-facing directory, something like, /People/Genesis 8 Female/Materials/Skin Builder Presets, or some such. (You'll need to make the directory yourself during the save process, or at the point where Skin Builder asks you where you want it to put things.)

Maybe try one of those?

I saved them like I'd do any other preset. File -> Save As -> Character Preset (or Materials Preset). Into Genesis 8 Female\Characters. Not exactly rocket science. It even makes the folders things go in.

• I think there is confusion between the settings for the texture created by SB8, and saving materials presets that use the new skin. When you safe the material preset and load SB8, it doesn't load with all the skin creation settings you had before, correct?
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,812
    I think there is confusion between the settings for the texture created by SB8, and saving materials presets that use the new skin. When you safe the material preset and load SB8, it doesn't load with all the skin creation settings you had before, correct?

Not automatically, no. It has no way to know that's what's needed. You'd need to save as a materials preset, then, before starting Skin Builder, apply that material to G8F, THEN start Skin Builder so it can take that as the new starting point.

• vwrangler said:

Maybe try one of those?

Do you mean that you actually saved the presets INTO the Studio Temp files directory?

If that's what you mean, it can't work. Studio is designed to clear the temp directory when it's closed correctly. You need to save them in a user-facing directory, something like, /People/Genesis 8 Female/Materials/Skin Builder Presets, or some such. (You'll need to make the directory yourself during the save process, or at the point where Skin Builder asks you where you want it to put things.)

I've tried copying them there and saving them to the materials folder. Neither works

• I think there is confusion between the settings for the texture created by SB8, and saving materials presets that use the new skin. When you safe the material preset and load SB8, it doesn't load with all the skin creation settings you had before, correct?

Correct.

I build the skin and then save the preset in SB8, close SB8 (but stay in DS) and then go back in to SB8 the settings are lost and revert to the defaults.

• pete_46df1ca3pete_46df1ca3 Posts: 9
    edited January 2019
    vwrangler said:
    I think there is confusion between the settings for the texture created by SB8, and saving materials presets that use the new skin. When you safe the material preset and load SB8, it doesn't load with all the skin creation settings you had before, correct?

Not automatically, no. It has no way to know that's what's needed. You'd need to save as a materials preset, then, before starting Skin Builder, apply that material to G8F, THEN start Skin Builder so it can take that as the new starting point.

Done that with new objects, even a restart of DS.

I'll do a clean install on another machine in case this is corrupted.

Update.

Just finished a clean install of the basic DS 4.10 and SB8 packages on another machine (fully patched Windows 10 home).

1. Created a G8F scene and created a skin in SB8.
    2. Built skin and saved full material preset
    3. Created a new G8F scene and loaded the full material preset.
    4. Went to SB8 skin tab and got the default values only.

What I have just noticed is that the DSSkinBuildercamera does render using the correct skin when I go into SB8 and select IRay view even before I change the skin details and build, don't know if that's significant.

So it looks a though I will have to live with manual entry every time.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Post edited by pete_46df1ca3 on
  • "Is there a way I can load a previous skin I created using this to just tweak a couple of details instead of recreating it from scratch?

Thank you."

I had the same question. I created a diffuse skin map in Mudbox that I'd like to use.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    3. go into Skinbuilder

@pete_46df1ca3

Based on the above, I believe you are missing a step. Before you close the Skin Builder script, you need to click on the Utilities tab at the top of the dialog window and save your material presets from there.

You'll need to set up a target folder, but after that, the presets will be saved to that folder. (You can change the folder anytime. so if you want, you can have a separate folder for each character you create.) And you can choose which presets to save: Eyes, Face, (makeup,) etc.

Use these presets to apply the new skin materials to your figure. Then re-open SB8 to make changes to your materials.

• L'Adair said:
    3. go into Skinbuilder

@pete_46df1ca3

Based on the above, I believe you are missing a step. Before you close the Skin Builder script, you need to click on the Utilities tab at the top of the dialog window and save your material presets from there.

You'll need to set up a target folder, but after that, the presets will be saved to that folder. (You can change the folder anytime. so if you want, you can have a separate folder for each character you create.) And you can choose which presets to save: Eyes, Face, (makeup,) etc.

Use these presets to apply the new skin materials to your figure. Then re-open SB8 to make changes to your materials.

Yeah, thanks.

Tried doing that (several times) but still not getting the saved values when I go back in. Same results on two other W10 machines.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    L'Adair said:
    3. go into Skinbuilder

@pete_46df1ca3

Yeah, thanks.

Tried doing that (several times) but still not getting the saved values when I go back in. Same results on two other W10 machines.

The Skin Builder 3 and 8 scripts always start without any changes. Their predecessor, Skin Builder Pro, includes an add-on that allows you to load saved "recipe" settings, and a separate Add-on that allows you to save and share settings. Sadly, the PA who wrote the original "recipe" code passed away while SB3 was still in development. It doesn't look like any of the subsequent Skin Builder products will ever have that ability.

The best you will get is to create your presets, load those on the figure and then modify the skin that is loaded into the script.

• I have noticed that two other users have already asked the same question, which I wanted to ask. Is there ever going to be a version of Skin Builder for the G2/G3/G8 Males? Would totally buy that in a heart beat!!!

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    d32un3d said:

I have noticed that two other users have already asked the same question, which I wanted to ask. Is there ever going to be a version of Skin Builder for the G2/G3/G8 Males? Would totally buy that in a heart beat!!!

Zev0 has said repeatedly that there was no plan to make  SkinBuilder for the males ,but you can use the skins for the females on the males .....

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Just purchased skin builder, which is fantastic, I use overlay alot.  Skin building will take a learning curve, thus far I am pleased but skin building preview takes to long for my patience, Lol !!! Other then that great product smiley

• Dave McHDave McH Posts: 49

Hello! My question about base texture. Is there any way to load different one. In resource folder I see four sets of textures, but it loads darker one.
    And one more question, can I load texture of my character to tweak it? And how if so.

• Dave McHDave McH Posts: 49
    edited March 2019

double post, sorry

Post edited by Dave McH on
  • i dont know if anyone answered this problem of theskin builder 8 window being to large for screen. I was messin with it today on my 2nd computer that screen is too small. 1366 x768 max at 100%. i click portrait mode to get to the apply button to show. sure takes a second longer, but it is a way to get it to work in smaller resolutions if you really want or need. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

+100 for male version.  I hope that at some point it is reconsidered.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,688

I somehow forgot and I cannot find the info on the product page.  What are the minimum screen resolution needed for this?  I am getting a new monitor and I was wondering if 1920 by 1080 be big enough?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    Hi. 1080 is fine. It was designed on a 1080 monitor.
  • ElgyfuElgyfu Posts: 279

Call me stupid if you like, but could someone please, please tell me where the instructions are.

I have installed it using Content Manager thing.

Looking in the My Daz3D Library within Daz Studio.  Looked in People, Genesis8 Female, Materials, Skin Builder 8.  Looked in every bit of this.  No sign of anything like instructions :(  Someone in a thread here said they were in the "Resources" folder, but I just see lots of "Do not click" icons.. no instructions.

Then I looked in the alphabetical bit, again just lots of "do not click" icons.

I have no idea where the instructions are or how to even begin to use this thing :(

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045

It is in the script.

Capture.PNG
    1160 x 1103 - 295K