Carrara Challenge 45: Extinction and De-extinction! Less than two days to go!

Comments

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

The Last

Fix this, add that...

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    MAJourney said:

The Last

Fix this, add that...

Nice work MaJourney, simple and stark and straight to the point - if you pardon the pun

edited February 2019

Well, now I'm having issues with my hdri being too dark for some reason. no other lights. it was bright once

Post edited by VIArts on

Shaders changed, HDRI aqdded, camera moved

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819

some rim lighting will make it awesome... great angles yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,778

some rim lighting will make it awesome... great angles yes

+1 yes

you mean lighting from behind the figures pointed at them? no way i can brighten those trees, they're the hdri. i go it from hdrihaven

edited February 2019

octane version

thelast.jpg
    2731 x 2048 - 477K
    Post edited by VIArts on
    MAJourney said:

you mean lighting from behind the figures pointed at them? no way i can brighten those trees, they're the hdri. i go it from hdrihaven

A very nice Rim-light setup by Vyusur :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3702061/#Comment_3702061

MAJourney said:

A very nice Rim-light setup by Vyusur :- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3702061/#Comment_3702061

which of those 4 lights in the scene  make up he rim light? i'm still ignorant...

• Rim light, that sounds naughty devil

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819

depends which side you want the rim light to appear on the model.. what I do is use a distant light and for eg. I would set it opposite the camera and to the left pointing at the subjects and have the subjects only selected in the light.. I then crank up the brightness to 150 or more and turn shadows off..

as well as this you then need a fill light set around anywhere between 40 to 70 with a colour variant ( to your liking ) which points to the front of the subjects with soft shadows and I also use another ambient light positioned under and in front pointing up at the subjects set around a strength of 5 to 20 with a colour set to a dark brown also with soft shadows.

then I adjust the rim light position to get a rim of light on the subjects that I like...

hope this helps you smiley

edited February 2019
    MAJourney said:
    MAJourney said:

which of those 4 lights in the scene  make up he rim light? i'm still ignorant...

Stezza's setup sounds very nice as well

3 Point Lighting ( from Jeremy Birn's "Lighting & Rendering" Third Edition - Publishers "New Riders" - ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92898-6, highly recommend this book to anyone doing renders with lighting setups !!! )

Key Light - main illumination defining angle of lighting. Brighter than other lights, casts darkest shadows

Fill Light - softens & extends illumination of key light, makes more of subject visible

Rim Light - creates defining edge to visually seperate subject from background

3 Point Lighting.png
    1183 x 777 - 114K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited February 2019

JFYI, I'm visualy impaired, so there are things my eyes don't pick up easy. Just ask Wendy how many times I've bugged her about which texture is what color or "WTH is that?" lol That's not killing the artist vin me though, so if you see something off in my renders, I'm wide open to feedback.

Here's what i did with lighting

Doc4.jpg
    1365 x 1024 - 107K
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited February 2019

Have some catching up to do.  In no particular order & hope I didn't miss anyone.

MAJounrney - Three hour marathon class on terrorism sounds like academic terrorism. : 0 !
    Nice idea about eagle and title of “Last One.”  Be interesting to see what you do with light.       

Stezza - Manta rays & plastic pollution.  That’s a good one.  Someone should make a plastic water bottle then make an island of the things.  “Pacific garbage patch” and bleaching of coral reefs probably not a good sign.  Heard one of them is them is larger than some islands in the pacific.

Diomedes - Think I might’ve mentioned it before, but “Cato” has knocked it out of the park in my opinion.  Something about his eyes and facial expression.  Amazing!
    And to think you’re not finished with garden patch project...

Headwax - gods the texture on Neanderthal and eye reflections.  Sheesh!  Something tells me you’ve been at this for a while.
    1930’s Man and also chimp couple.  Wow...  Hopefully we have a little more than 20 years.  Nice little touch in newpaper. :)

UnifiedBrain - Chuckle.   Fun one about dinosaurs-- everyone likes dinosaurs-- and everyone can relate to rocky relationships!  He's got an even bigger one headed his way.  Clever!

ed3D -  Thanks!  I’m not very good at titles.  Started out as ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ because it reminded me of the song, but now sure people would make the connection.  Good point.  Need to think of one.

DuDu - Hope I don’t come off as arrogant, but as Headwax said, extinction is a serious business.  I used to work at a small ad/marketing firm for newspapers & local magazines until internet put them out of business.  Seal render is brutal and to the point.  If people don’t ‘get’ cartoons or even bulldozing koalas-- maybe a more direct approach.  Like the added touch of a whaling harpoon.  Very effective in my opinion.

Post edited by Tynkere on

thanks Tynkere , you are a very welcome addition to our community. Smart with talent ;)

edited February 2019

So taking a break from exploding footwear by doing another challenge render.  Clubbed seal gave me the idea.

I wanted to do something ugly and revolting this time.  As “Headwax” has said, it’s a serious topic.  Maybe my feel good 'mom and kiddo child playing at park' just doesn’t cut it.  

How would I make the water look even more slimy and disgusting?   Be nice if could add prismatic oily sheen to water.  Discovering water is hard to do in Carrara.  : 0 !

Anyway, second one hopefully speaks for itself about water pollution.  Also...

Ravens & Crows are among the smartest of birds.

This one might have been enticed by dead animals in a pond, but with toxic water-- it took a pass.

Just How Smart Are Ravens?  (Find out at Nat Geo)

_Carrion-Crow.png
    1300 x 733 - 1M
    edited February 2019

thanks Tynkere , you are a very welcome addition to our community. Smart with talent ;)

Obviously we crossed one another or board doesn't warn someone has posted.

Anyway, thanks for encouagement.  Everyones been very patient with my rookie questions. 

Water and material settings though.  My beginner's luck probably running out. ; )

Tynkere said:

So taking a break from exploding footwear by doing another challenge render.  Clubbed seal gave me the idea.

I wanted to do something ugly and revolting this time.  As “Headwax” has said, it’s a serious topic.  Maybe my feel good 'mom and kiddo child playing at park' just doesn’t cut it.  

How would I make the water look even more slimy and disgusting?   Be nice if could add prismatic oily sheen to water.  Discovering water is hard to do in Carrara.  : 0 !

Anyway, second one hopefully speaks for itself about water pollution.  Also...

Ravens & Crows are among the smartest of birds.

This one might have been enticed by dead animals in a pond, but with toxic water-- it took a pass.

Just How Smart Are Ravens?  (Find out at Nat Geo)

greetings yes cross posted happens all the time :) 

wonderful viewpoint in this, great idea too

disgusting water .... hmmm - texture map would be easiest - I think the dead frog goes a long way - that oil slick idea sounds like fresnel could do it somhow it will give rainbows I think???

have a look at the last challenge there were some links to the properties of water like absorbtiopn which might help

this is a nice pick of disgusting water here https://www.mtlblog.com/news/winnipeg-is-the-most-disgusting-city-in-canada-right-now

water in carrara is easy once you have had a go - there are presets in the shader section

but water is all about reflection, shinnyness and bump - I use alpha for the transparency as it is easier 

try and make sure the water has something to reflect thats step i :) looking forward to seeing what you come up with - yes Raven's are smart ... I was o ne once ;)

edited February 2019

it's not just a bird, its not just a big bird, it's a...lightning bird?

the hdri sky is too bright for me to see the length tho

image000.png
    2731 x 2048 - 3M
    Post edited by VIArts on
    edited February 2019
    MAJourney said:

the hdri sky is too bright for me to see the length tho

Can you try changing the colour of the lightning so it stands out from the HDRI ?

Was going to suggest a red colour but if you are colour blind you might have trouble seeing that. Any colours that you can see well ?

Also a fill light in front of the bird that illuminates just the bird to bring out the details might be of help to the scene.

Another thing, can you adjust the bird's legs so they are pointing at the 2 humans rather than the ground?, might add a bit of action drama to the scene if you can.

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

HI MAJourney  you can drop in a new layer in photoshop - fill it with blue (light) (maybe graduated from blue at top to white at bottom)  and then change the parameter to darker colour, then adjust the opac ity of that layer 

that will take the brightness from the sky

lightening from mouth looks terrifico

good idea about the claws Bunyip02

edited March 2019
    MAJourney said:

The Phoenix?  Some say there’s a bit of truth, or at least a lesson in every myth.  : )

---

@Headwax
    Thanks for the help.  Lifted H2O settings from a Tango Alpha’s “Medieval Hall & Garden DS.”  Tweaked them a little, and added suggested normal map from it.  Suggested .jpg sky backdrop and have better color along with shadows.  Obviously still needs improvement but I learned a lot participating in the challenge.  

best 

Edit: March 13

noticed fish looked like it was floating, so used PS to add shadow to it.

_WaterPollution_H2O-Setup.png
    1708 x 961 - 1M
    _WaterPollution_Render.png
    1300 x 733 - 2M
    FishFinal.png
    1300 x 733 - 2M
    Tynkere said:
    MAJourney said:

The Phoenix?  Some say there’s a bit of truth, or at least a lesson in every myth.  : )

---

@Headwax
    Thanks for the help.  Lifted H2O settings from a Tango Alpha’s “Medieval Hall & Garden DS.”  Tweaked them a little, and added suggested normal map from it.  Suggested .jpg sky backdrop and have better color along with shadows.  Obviously still needs improvement but I learned a lot participating in the challenge.  

best 

Looking great, love the extra rubbish in the scene - definately adds to it !

• Tynkere said:

@Headwax

That looks terrible!  In other words, nicely done. :)

And thanks for the good words on my render.

•  

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Just ridiculous.  Such skill.

• DUDU said:

Nice work everybody!

Here is a second shot for my project.

I have a few difficulties to make a realistic blood in the snow but it's a work in progress.

Thank you Pam for your explanation (one more time...) to show the image in full size, we must also set a maximum of 800 to keep the good proportions.

DUDU, terrific render!  Always great to see you in the Challenge.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

still waiting for idea ...  the extinction of analog?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Rim light, that sounds naughty devil

rimmer smiley

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,997
    edited February 2019
    Tynkere said:
    ed3D -  Thanks!  I’m not very good at titles.  Started out as ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ because it reminded me of the song, but now sure people would make the connection.  Good point.  Need to think of one.

_alright then ,   you're welcome

_Extinct Vehicle_  or something like that

Post edited by ed3D on