TIP's and Trick's for ALL NEW USER's. The W.I.P. Thread Updated Feb 2016

JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
edited February 2016 in New Users

TIP’s and Trick’s for ALL NEW USER’s. The W.I.P. Threads, the Master List
Welcome to the one place for all the past WIP threads, with easy links to each of the past threads and all the great information given to the users by the users for the users. Each presented by the THEME covered.

Are you new to 3D? Would you like help at a beginners level? Would tips and information presented to other New Users from your point of view as someone just starting be a bonus? Wish to learn at your own pace? Need just that one little hint but not ready to ask about it yet? Then maybe this list is for you. In the links below you will find help on subjects such as...
Posing a Full figure to Posing just a hand, Full scene Lighting to different Lighting for different types of scenes, and other nice things that you as a New User might not have thought about or even have known about. Use the links below to learn about the one thing that you need to know now and also to learn about things you did not even know you wanted to know.

As Each New Users Contest ends It will be added to this list with a Quick Link to the beginning of the WIP thread for that past month's contest. Each link will have a description of the topic covered in that month's contest. It will be up to you the user to read the threads to find those gem's of useful information that are posted deep in the threads, I never said it would be easy. Many if not all these threads have information, TIP's, Trick's and even just ideas on how to just do things better than you might have thought of so far.

I Hope you find this a place you will visit over and over as time goes on, I hope you learn from here as others have learned in the past.

The Master List:
June 2012 Theme: "Beginning to see the Light" (studying how light can make or break a render)
July 2012 Theme: Finding the Perfect Pose (Reference and a Game Plan are Everything, posing a figure for drama)
August 2012 Theme: Lets Get Focused Depth of Field (DOF) (Lets Get Focused, using Depth of Field in your renders)
September 2012 Theme: Propping up the image (To help in better understanding how to have your figures using props.)
October 2012 Theme: Ghoulies and Ghosties (Many tip's on many area's)
November 2012 Theme: Autumn Celebration / Thankfulness (Many tip's on many areas)
December 2012 Theme: The Festive Holiday Season (Many tip's on many areas COMPOSITION main info)

January 2013 Theme: Previous New User Contest Tips and Help (Hey it's reflection time for us as well, a mini version of this list)
February 2013 Theme: Designing a landscape (To produce an environment, and other tips)
March 2013 Theme: Holding Hands (posing, shaping and lighting)
April 2013 Theme: Surfaces, Materials, and Shaders (no diffuse texture maps)
May 2013 Theme: 3D Lights & Magic (lighting is used in clever ways to really make the scene look fantastic)
June 2013 Theme: Reaction and Interaction (A render with two figures interacting with each other)
July 2013 Theme: Fun in the Sun (Another mutli tip thread, lighting and other tips)
August 2013 Theme: "Illustration and Inspiration" (Multi tip thread also)
September 2013 Theme Mood Lighting (Capture the viewers eye with just the lighting in the image ,Lighting Tips)
October 2013 Theme Making and using a Shader (Create a Shader of your own for use in your art, many platforms covered in Tutorials.)
November 2013 Theme "Texturing and Shaders" (How to create a new Texture for a Item using the Items Template Files. Very in Depth Tutorials.)
December 2013 Theme "Seasons Celebrations" (How to to Build your own Cards for the Holidays using your own images.)

January 2014 Theme "Party Time" (A general render thread covering many general aspects of rendering.)
February 2014 Theme Still Life (How to set up and render still life scenes in 3D rendering.)
March 2014 Theme "Depth of Field" (How to do Deep Depth Renders with Depth of Field)
April 2014 Theme Spring Fling (it has a Double Focus, Lighting and the use of Depth of Field in a render that illustrates Spring}
May 2014 Theme Portrait Render (Designed to help you focus on face, eyes, posing, expression etc, in order to produce a good portrait)
June 2014 Theme Light it up (Experiment with different lighting techniques on your portrait)
July 2014 Theme Atmospheric and Volumetric Effects (Focus on incorporating volumetric effects, fog, mist, dust, crepuscular rays ("God rays"), etc, in your renders..

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2016

Continuing the list here

August 2014 Theme Water and other Reflective Surfaces (Designed to help you produce realistic looking water, and also glass and mirrors)
    September 2014 Theme My New Favorite Item (To use lighting to attractively display your subject, and (optionally) to find an unconventional way to use a product in a render)
    October 2014 "Horror Inspired Render Contest" (Try putting to use all the things you've learned over the months and create a horror or Halloween inspired image.)
    November 2014 Turning music into pictures (creating a render based on a song or a piece of music.)
    December 2014 "Holiday Inspired Render Contest" (This contest is a general render contest.)

January 2015 "Composition" (This contest has the focus being on how you compose your image.)
    February 2015 "Lightning" (This contest is a general render contest with the focus being on how you use light in your image.)
    March 2015 "Posing" (This month we will be concentrating on Posing and making a pose from scratch)
    April 2015 Free Render Thread ( pay special attention to the topics previously covered the last three months)
    May 2015 Action (Action with an emphasis on advanced posing techniques and interaction with people or objects)
    June 2015 Scenes and Landscapes (focuses on Scenes and Landscapes in various software)
    July 2015 Portrait Rendering (Portrait Rendering with focus on Expressions and Lighting)
    August 2105 Going for a song  (A general render Contest based on a song)
    September 2015 Focus and DOF ( Focus and Depth of Field)
    October 2015 Atmosphere (this month we concentrate on Atmosphere)
    November 2015 Materials (This month we concentrate on Materials and Surfaces.)
    December 2015 Winter Render Contest (Free render month, using all you have learned)

January 2016  Composition  (This contest is a general render contest with the focus being on how you compose your image.)
    February 2016  Lighting  (This contest is a general render contest with the focus being on how you use light in your image)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Thank you Jaderail for organizing all these threads in one place.

I have peeked at a couple of the prior contest threads and found some very useful info hidden in there...not to mention some really awesome renders.

Now I am going to go through them all in order, with a notebook and pen handy, to see what other treasures I can find.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Now I am going to go through them all in order, with a notebook and pen handy, to see what other treasures I can find.

Sounds a good plan. Thanks for bringing this excellent resource to my attention Kismet, and thanks Jaderail for putting it together.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

To me these are over looked to often. Lots can be learned from the old contests.

I will be Updating the list each month when the New Contest starts.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jade, this is wondreful and a lot of help! *hugs*

edited December 1969

Jindi said:

Sounds a good plan. Thanks for bringing this excellent resource to my attention Kismet, and thanks Jaderail for putting it together.

You are welcome Jindi. I was hoping someone would follow my lead. Otherwise I might have had to resort to using more drastic measures. ;-)

To me these are over looked to often. Lots can be learned from the old contests.

I will be Updating the list each month when the New Contest starts.

I agree completely. I have only been through 4 so far ( June, 2012 - September, 2012 ) but have picked up some neat tricks.

edited November 2013

The list has been Updated to include the October 2013 Contest. Please enjoy.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Here is something that new users may find useful. It is a measurement wall prop, free at ShareCG ( registration is required ). Not everything loads at the same scale and this may help to get figures and props sized correctly.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/71852/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/MWall-Prop

It was created for DAZ Studio. It has not been tested in Poser.

edited December 1969

Here is something that new users may find useful. It is a measurement wall prop, free at ShareCG ( registration is required ). Not everything loads at the same scale and this may help to get figures and props sized correctly.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/71852/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/MWall-Prop

It was created for DAZ Studio. It has not been tested in Poser.

Yes, that's a good set. Spyro and I are friends and have worked together on a couple of Prop sets. That one is all him.
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited November 2013

Jaderail: thank you for the master list this will help me greatly....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

December 2013 Theme: Seasons Celebrations
    January 2014 Theme: Party Time
    February 2014 Theme: Still Life

Jaderail if you want to you can put this in your first post with the rest of the links and then delete this post :-). Figured you were busy and wanted to help out a little. Have a wonderful day and hope you feel better soon :-).

edited December 1969

Thread up dated. The Master list only gets updated when the Contest ends. But thank you for the links...

edited December 1969

Master list has been updated to include the February Still Life contest and help info.

edited December 1969

March 2014 WIP thread now added to the master list. See the first post for the Master List.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thank you for all that you do for newcomers (and oldsters), Jaderail. It is much appreciated.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Thank you for all that you do for newcomers (and oldsters), Jaderail. It is much appreciated.
    You are more than Welcome. Helping people have Fun is my goal. I got loads of great help when I started and now I try to give it back. If a person is doing and having fun that is much better than fighting the prg in my view. Lets get past the fighting and get to the doing and enjoy this as we should.
This discussion has been closed.