WIP Thread for June New Users Contest.

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

"Beginning to see the Light"

(studying how light can make or break a render)

Render a portrait 800 high by 600 wide.

This thread is for you to post your WIP's in, to get feedback and critique, before entering them into the contest thread.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

i'm looking forward to seeing this month's entries, I love doing portraits! :D This is gonna be a fun month!!

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

By the window at sunset.

DS4.5 render, no post-work.

portrait002.jpg
    600 x 800 - 152K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Very pretty. The only thing it is missing is a faint shadow on the chest area from the light shining in from the window. The sun is hitting the side of her face so it would also be hitting the side of the arm blocking out some of the light.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

version3 said:
    By the window at sunset.

DS4.5 render, no post-work.

version3, what do you think could be improved with the picture? What is it that you are going for? You have a very lovely composition going with this portrait. As Frank says some shadow from the window would add some more interest and realism to the picture.
    If this was my scene I would setup a three spot light configuration.
    My lights would be setup in this way. See lighting diagram for a visual.
    Light placement reflects the room configuration and location of the sun. The left and back lights are coming from room-lights, which sources can't be seen. For these two I would place the spots above her head so that the light comes down at about a 45 degree angle to start with. The right spot would come through the window and be the same angle as the sun light. I would turn on shadows on the left and right spots and do diffuse only on the back spot. Once this was set up I would play with intensity, color of the lights and the spread angle of these three lights. The goal being to frame her in light so that my eye goes to her face and not to the shinny necklace on her chest.

As always these are just suggestions. Good luck.
    Lonnie

lightplacement.jpg
    600 x 600 - 50K
    portrait002.jpg
    600 x 800 - 152K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

I will give it a try. :)
    I used the DimensionTheory CloudNineDomes.
    The UberSpec and the UberHelper I chanced the direction and the color.
    I used Daz 3 no Photoshop.
    Tips are welcome :)

indiaan_verkl.jpg
    618 x 800 - 352K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well my first comment is going to be that shhe must have absolute trust in that bird, knowing what raptors are normally like. I wouldn't allow one that close to my face, is it maybe an itelligent raptor, as in a familiar or some such. ???

edited December 1969

Sasje said:

Being Native American I love this image. Very well done.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well my first comment is going to be that shhe must have absolute trust in that bird, knowing what raptors are normally like. I wouldn't allow one that close to my face, is it maybe an itelligent raptor, as in a familiar or some such. ???

Yes she trusts the bird, but knows about the dangers.
    They are familiar, she raised it up when it was a baby bird.
    The bird never leaves her site, it always came back. ;-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK, Next time I will try and give some serious feed back.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Sasje said:

Being Native American I love this image. Very well done.
    Thank you

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    The Uber and the Uber I chanced the direction and the color.

Sasje, a render that evokes much emotion, POV is interesting and her face is telling us a story about these two.
    If I were going to do more with this render, I would play around with the Uber Human Surface Shader if you haven't already.It comes with any of the Elite textures or M5 and V5. With the use of UberEnvironment the Human Surface Shader can be used to much advantage. What it can do is enhance the specularity of the skin and give it some additional life. One of the effects will show up as shine on her lips and her skin tone will be given more of a real look. I would also play with specularity on the birds feathers and her hair. Here is the link to the documentation for Elite Human Surface Shader:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/azproduct/7412

Sasje.jpg
    618 x 800 - 402K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I find it odd that none have posted the Standard Portrait light setup yet. I did this one with a standard three point light set.

THIS IS NOT AN ENTERY. Just an example. If you would like to learn this lighting, it's very basic, just say so.

!AWSOME_Example.jpg
    600 x 714 - 317K
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited December 1969

Here is what I have so far for this month. Done in Daz 3.

june_idea_1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 176K
    edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:

Are you going for a old style horror movie look? This is about lighting. Low lighting and effects can be just as dramatic as other styles. What's your goal?
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    3ch0_419 said:

Are you going for a old style horror movie look? This is about lighting. Low lighting and effects can be just as dramatic as other styles. What's your goal?

I was actualy messing around with a pack of morphs for m3 because I wanted something other than just a basic human for my subject. Something, alien or demonic. The lighting is a little something that I already had on my laptop and I thought looked ok for a start.

edited June 2012

3ch0_419 said:
    Jaderail said:
    3ch0_419 said:
    I was actualy messing around with a pack of morphs for m3 because I wanted something other than just a basic human for my subject. Something, alien or demonic. The lighting is a little something that I already had on my laptop and I thought looked ok for a start.I see. What I'm trying to say here is that the contest this month is about YOU learning to do lighting. Canned light sets are great, I use them all the time but this contest is about lighting. To win this one you will need to get some DRAMA into that render with just the lights.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    3ch0_419 said:
    Jaderail said:
    3ch0_419 said:
    I was actualy messing around with a pack of morphs for m3 because I wanted something other than just a basic human for my subject. Something, alien or demonic. The lighting is a little something that I already had on my laptop and I thought looked ok for a start.I see. What I'm trying to say here is that the contest this month is about YOU learning to do lighting. Canned light sets are great, I use them all the time but this contest is about lighting. To win this one you will need to get some DRAMA into that render with just the lights.
    I know what you mean Jaderail. I'll have to see what I can do, though I admit that lights aren't one of my strong points. Thanks for the feedback that you've given so far.
    edited June 2012

3ch0_419 said:

I like the framaing of the image but it is way to dark. You definitely need a spot on the figure with shadows.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    3ch0_419 said:

I like the framaing of the image but it is way to dark. You definitely need a spot on the figure with shadows.

I was actualy thinking about this while in class of all things today. Maybe something like a flashlight off camera, as if someone is walking up to the guy.

• edited December 1969

Here is my first attempt at a portrait. I look forward to some feedback on how to make it better.

Keisha.jpg
    565 x 792 - 243K
  • mhomes_047ff78b8dmhomes_047ff78b8d Posts: 18
    edited June 2012

This will be my entry for the June contest.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~Layden

Belle2.jpg
    523 x 548 - 77K
    Post edited by mhomes_047ff78b8d on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

This time, no joke. jsut challenge and want study lighting.

I used only two spot light (a little , changed color) .
    from right side to face. (I care shadow of nose hall, mmm,,)
    another spot light from up (left)
    is it better to set onother light from back of her?
    use UV Victoria5 map,
    render by basic 3D light rendring.

now, no background , and just render in ds4pro.

I hope to know what can I do for make it better by only basic items in ds4
    shader, material, ofcouse ,about lighting. so teach me please.

photo.jpg
    600 x 800 - 231K
    edited December 1969

This is my second one.
    I think the lips needs more gloss.

portrait_verkl.jpg
    619 x 800 - 275K
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Sasje said:
    The Uber and the Uber I chanced the direction and the color.

Sasje, a render that evokes much emotion, POV is interesting and her face is telling us a story about these two.
    If I were going to do more with this render, I would play around with the Uber Human Surface Shader if you haven't already.It comes with any of the Elite textures or M5 and V5. With the use of UberEnvironment the Human Surface Shader can be used to much advantage. What it can do is enhance the specularity of the skin and give it some additional life. One of the effects will show up as shine on her lips and her skin tone will be given more of a real look. I would also play with specularity on the birds feathers and her hair. Here is the link to the documentation for Elite Human Surface Shader:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/azproduct/7412

Thank you Dollygirl for the tip and the link.:-)
    I’m still experimenting with it, I have a Human Surface Shader in my Daz 3.1.2.31 free edition.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I find it odd that none have posted the Standard Portrait light setup yet. I did this one with a standard three point light set.

THIS IS NOT AN ENTERY. Just an example. If you would like to learn this lighting, it's very basic, just say so.

Can you learn me how to do that, I’m not good in lights I really want to learn more about to use different lights :)

edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Jaderail said:

Can you learn me how to do that, I’m not good in lights I really want to learn more about to use different lights :)

Sure I'll set up a quick diagram and example today. Standard three point lights really need to be helped so remember this is just a very basic example. I always tweak and add other lights to a basic set. Give me sometime I'm just getting out of bed good. A few hours to get my blood flowing and I'll post for all to see and learn from.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Jaderail said:

Basic portrait lighting consists of a main light (which provides the illumination) a back light (to create a sense of depth) and a secondary light to create highlights.

The back light comes from the general opposite direction of the main light and is a lower intensity than the main light (10-25%). The secondary light is placed at an angle to the main light, is a lower intensity than the main light and can be a different colour. Exact positioning of each light depends on the effect you want to create, but generally the main light is from the front and to one side ; the secondary light from the opposite side and the back light from the back.

edited June 2012

dalbelo said:
    Here is my first attempt at a portrait. I look forward to some feedback on how to make it better.

Other than the strap of the dress not lying flat on the neck/collars; this looks petty good.

Post edited by BWSman on
    edited December 1969

Layden said:
    This will be my entry for the June contest.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~Layden

The skin looks awfully yellow IMO.
    edited December 1969

This time, no joke. jsut challenge and want study lighting.

I used only two spot light (a little , changed color) .
    from right side to face. (I care shadow of nose hall, mmm,,)
    another spot light from up (left)
    is it better to set onother light from back of her?
    use UV Victoria5 map,
    render by basic 3D light rendring.

now, no background , and just render in ds4pro.

I hope to know what can I do for make it better by only basic items in ds4
    shader, material, ofcouse ,about lighting. so teach me please.

I would add a light from the back and a background (or use a different colour). The light from the upper left should be dimmer to increase the shadow depth from your main light.