Carrara 9 feature request

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited December 1969

mmm animate-able terrain height maps!!
    (thx to Fractal Dimensia's ocean idea the need has arisen)

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited September 2013

You can also use a batch file to start Carrara at a lower priority. Step by step instructions for the technically challenged Windows peeples (more specifically Windows 7, it varies somewhat with other versions):
    1) locate Carrara.exe (if you have a shortcut, right click it and select "Open file location")
    2) create a new text file in the same folder and name it "Carrara-low-priority.cmd"
    3) put this one line in the text file:
    @start /belownormal Carrara.exe
    4) save the file

When you run this simple script it should launch Carrara with the priority set to "below normal".

Also since this is the Carrara feature request thread, here be some of mine in no particular order:
    - make stuff work with gamma correction, give user more control (dynamic hair, backgrounds, previews, etc)
    - area lights (see DS for an example)
    - filtering parameters for non-zero values (as seen in DS)
    - allow selection of morphs to be converted when auto-fitting (most of them are useless FBMs and such)
    - editing and deleting morphs and parameters (lots of things that can't be done within Carrara)
    - fix UI glitches like the jumpy lists
    - why so many clicks for simple operations like finding or renaming a shader? why no Context Menu?
    - an option to hide bones (they just get in the way most of the time)
    - interactive post effects (see Luxrender for an example)

I could go on, but since this is probably pointless...

Post edited by araneldon on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:

- fix UI glitches like the jumpy lists
    - why so many clicks for simple operations like finding or renaming a shader? why no Context Menu?

Yes, and I would also add:

- In Preferences/UI Fonts, you can't see an example of the fonts, only a list of them on buttons, but displayed in the current font. User should be able to see a preview of each font.

- After selecting an option in Preferences, allow the user to press a button to accept/engage that option, but don't close the Preferences window; the user might not be done changing preferences yet!

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Well, apart from introducing and including The Millennium Cow (and changing the program's name to Cowrarra in order to increase sales), I have a few ideas too...

It would be nice to add the render room settings to the "undo list" - can't say how many times I changed something, rendered, and couldn't get the old setting back exactly (indirect light settings, photon counts in caustics, etc) and even worse - if one changes to NPR, just for funzies, returning to photoreal will reset everything and all settings are lost.

A Cow Primitive wouldn't hurt.

And the usual UI changes. It would be nice to have the ability to change the browser window height arbitrarily - it has places it refuses to go and slides away if one tries to put it there. Often those places are where I can still see both my work area and the browser - not a big deal, but annoying.

And I also want the font things fixed! Yes, they now count as broken, along with my eyes.

More later...

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

It would be nice to see more modeling tools from Hexagon, and improved bones and weight painting system. :)

Now we are talking!!! Good stuff.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

A search function for the Content Library
    Velvet shaders

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

EddyMI said:
    A search function for the Content Library
    Velvet shaders

Just to let you know that you can get a good velvet effect using Fake Fresnel in DSG's Shader Ops and some noise in the bump channel.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Hi Phil,

I'll give a try.

Thanks for that hint,
    Eddy

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    It is an active modifier that prevents collision between 2 items in real time, as you change poses, move characters or objects, etc. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP6AQopQxQY

I don't do youtube so apologies if I misunderstand, but Carrara has a collision detection system already. To toggle it, click on the third icon from the left. Note that the implementation is dog slow so it isn't particularly usable. It helps to be very patient, click, drag and hold.

It would be a lot more useful if it didn't drag down performance so badly.

Screen_Shot_2013-09-06_at_5.46_.37_AM_.png
    475 x 398 - 306K
    edited September 2013

Here's one that is just a minor annoyance, and should be a really easy thing to implement. Not a big issue, but it does make DAZ look silly when you have a primitive in a scene to edit, and you select it then go to the vertex room and choose "convert to other modeler" but the default on the dialogue is to not convert it at all! It wants to convert a primitive to a primitive.

Can't it default to the other modeler? Even if you try to convert a vertex model to a primitive for some reason, it defaults to the same modeler.

As I said - it's just a piddling little thing. But it just makes me wonder what the developers were thinking and yes - it makes them look silly.

There are a lot of little things which would not take much effort but would make Carrara a more highly polished product.

Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited December 1969

Speaking of small things that should be easy to implement, can we have the option to not include SSS in a render? There are check boxes for most things - reflection, refraction, even shadows - but not SSS, and it would be really useful when doing test renders to be able to temporarily turn it off as it can add to render times.

edited December 1969

I would kill for the ability to save weight painting maps on self boned stuff so you can detach skeleton to tweek

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

I would kill for the ability to save weight painting maps on self boned stuff so you can detach skeleton to tweek

Agreed. And ability to save/load uv maps. None of this is major selling point material, but it shouldn't be that much work.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

thoromyr said:
    3doutlaw said:
    It is an active modifier that prevents collision between 2 items in real time, as you change poses, move characters or objects, etc. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP6AQopQxQY

I don't do youtube so apologies if I misunderstand, but Carrara has a collision detection system already. To toggle it, click on the third icon from the left. Note that the implementation is dog slow so it isn't particularly usable. It helps to be very patient, click, drag and hold.

It would be a lot more useful if it didn't drag down performance so badly.The YouTube is a great intro from Daz Studio 4, when Genesis was still very, very new. Allen explains the use of the Smoothing tool in DS with it's incredible collision selection, where we can actually select what the colliding object is - which is the figure that the clothing is conformed to, in every case I've imagined so far. I believe that the tools in DS have advanced beyond that video haven't they?

Oh, right... Yes. I vote for that, too!

edited December 1969

Also, since the Auto Rigging in DS and "Attach Skeleton" in Carrara are so incredibly identical, I think it would be really cool if we could have the ability in Carrara (pro?) to export (save) as Genesis (and 2) Support figures and such, making Carrara an amazing Genesis Support Content Creation Tool. Well, the ultimate, actually. I think that it already is, with the one exception that we have to export to obj, bring it into DS and rig, weight map, and export from there. The weight mapping and rig conversions seem identical to me - and the weight mapping too. So it may be very simple (yeah right... simple) okay... doable (?) to add these export/save functions.
    I apologize in advance for my developmental ignorance! ;)

edited December 1969

It would be nice to add the render room settings to the "undo list" - can't say how many times I changed something, rendered, and couldn't get the old setting back exactly (indirect light settings, photon counts in caustics, etc) and even worse - if one changes to NPR, just for funzies, returning to photoreal will reset everything and all settings are lost.
    OMG, No! Please! Okay, maybe in a separate "Render Room Undo"...
    That would kill me!
    Ahhhhh... never mind... I get it...
    edited December 1969

OMG, No! Please! Okay, maybe in a separate "Render Room Undo"...
    That would kill me!
    Ahhhhh... never mind... I get it...

I'd agree to forego it if they'd just Release The Millennium Cow Already!!!

edited December 1969

I know, right? Weren't they beginning development on that back in the start of this millennium, as a welcoming moo figure?

edited December 1969

I second the smoothing/collision modifier from studio, said that in other threads!

edited December 1969

I second the smoothing/collision modifier from studio, said that in other threads!
    Excellent! So if my count is correct, that's at leas three hundred, fifty-seven million of us so far, right? That's like... unanimous, isn't it?
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    You can also use a batch file to start Carrara at a lower priority.

Sweet. Thanks.

I think you can also go into Task Manager, right click on the Carrara process, and change priority to whatever you want on the fly. I think that's the same thing?? Though I like your way better...it's cleaner. Just add a shortcut to the cmd thingy and you've got it....

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Yes, same thing.

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    You can also use a batch file to start Carrara at a lower priority.

Sweet. Thanks.

I think you can also go into Task Manager, right click on the Carrara process, and change priority to whatever you want on the fly. I think that's the same thing?? Though I like your way better...it's cleaner. Just add a shortcut to the cmd thingy and you've got it....

Thanks, Joe, useful tip! :-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Speaking of small things that should be easy to implement, can we have the option to not include SSS in a render? There are check boxes for most things - reflection, refraction, even shadows - but not SSS, and it would be really useful when doing test renders to be able to temporarily turn it off as it can add to render times.

Hear! Hear! I second that!

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Hear! Hear! I second that!

That would very helpful and it is totally logical - so that probably means we will see it DAZ soon.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Every time you mention The Millennium Cow, it reminds me that I can never spell "Millennium" correctly the first time.

And it makes me hungry for Millennium Steaks. Does that make me a bad person, or just a Millennium Carnivore? :vampire:

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to type "Millennium" over and over; maybe I can be retrained after all...

edited December 1969

Every time you mention The Millennium Cow, it reminds me that I can never spell "Millennium" correctly the first time.

And it makes me hungry for Millennium Steaks. Does that make me a bad person, or just a Millennium Carnivore? :vampire:

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to type "Millennium" over and over; maybe I can be retrained after all...

Perhaps it should now be called the Genesis Cow (which is also easier to spell!)

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited September 2013

Quickly scanned the thread and didn't see this; if it's already been mentioned then forgive me.

>> support for the 3d mouse from 3D Connexion

I recently discovered Carrara after years of playing with SketchUp and using a 3d mouse; using just the keyboard is a big adjustment.

- - - -

Also, a quick question that could lead to a wish:

Included support for more CPUs? I'm on a quad-core iMac and when I render Carrara shows 8 threads working; is each thread considered one of the 20 permitted CPUs? I'm considering purchasing a MacPro with 12 cores once they are released and wonder whether that would exceed the limit?

- - - -

I agree on the need for a UI overhaul. I'm on a 27" iMac and the menus and tools and all are tiny.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • edited September 2013

I would LOVE and very much need support for Quicktime added to the 64-bit build of Carrara. I admit am a little confused why the 64-bit build can't utilize the 32-bit build binaries of QuickTime (which I know there is only one build of QuickTime). Is this a general limitation of all 64-bit applications?

P.S. I found this info on Adobe's website, on how After Effects handles this issue between 64-bit/32-bit inter-communications...

"One possible cause of After Effects reporting that QuickTime is not installed is a blockage in the communication between After Effects and the Adobe QT32 Server, which is a component that After Effects uses to communicate with QuickTime. (This is necessary because there is not yet a 64-bit version of QuickTime.) After Effects uses TCP to communicate with QuickTime, but some aggressive firewall software and other security software can block the TCP communication."

Post edited by staley2001_960fdbcf52 on
  • McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited September 2013

My Short List,

Improvements to the sky editor or clouds.......I want (editable)puffy cummulus, feathery cirrus, and dangerous cumulonimbus. :-)

Make an object into a magnet.........give it both repel and attract modes.:cheese:

Make both hair and trees so the user can just paint them in.... (like in Vue). ;-)

Bring back the old style depth of field.....It had both a red X and a green X one for the focal point, the other for the blurred point. (maybe 2- blurred points for macro shots. :coolsmile:

More to come.......I need to think about it.:grrr:

Fix Terrain Painting Glitch.......When painting a terrain negatively, it will lower the whole terrain if you stray a little into the black area.....can't we fix it???????

Post edited by McGuiver on