!! Carrara Challenge 44 - Any Element, Not Just the 5th WIP Thread

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660

ah Stezza, you have won already :) bottom image is beaut,

Bunyip02, that water surface look sperfect at the top left

Varsel, thank you for that!

Wendy, thanks for replying, alas I can replicate leaves on a fountain but it does not transfer to the replicated verisions of the fountain

Stezza, the founrtain we are using is not the typical particle one - it's found in the drop down with the clouds etc

UB - thank you - yes it looks very pointillist! Accidentally. I tried to get mor meat but to do that I need to convert to a mesh and then add thickness and that adds to the render times :(

Thanks Headwax, product used is https://www.daz3d.com/ultrumarine-ocean

Very nice work with your vegetation renders, will have to give it a try !!!

edited December 2018

Diomede - in favour of leaving the rat in the Soylent Green chamber. Looking forward to your take on the Fifth Element Parody !

shlomi laszlo - watching with interest your interpretation of the elements

MAJourney - hope your render is not to windy

Wendy - nice find, are you joining in the fun or sitting this one out ?

Varsel - great render, thanks for the updated model

UnifiedBrain - trust you have got an idea for a render

All you lurkers - join in !!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 2018

Bunyip - your underwater scene is fillin out nicely.  I still wouldn't swim there!

Still Gathering Toon Parody Assets - Suggestions Welcome to Improve My Toon Postwork.  This is an example of using the passes.  For the final, I wn't make the shadows so dark that they blot out everything.

Here is what I did.  I morphed my base toon flat guy and added props (beard, pockets, hat...) to create the archeaologist.  I rendered out multipasses fr th shadow pass, the coverage pass, and the post effect pass.  I rendered using the native Toon filter.  In Photoshop, I combined the coverage pass and the shadow pass using the "darker" function to get outlines and shadows.  I the result as a multiply enhance the toon effect.

Straight Toon filter render.

After using th mltipass to darken the lines and shadows.

professor says hi.jpg
    700 x 700 - 37K
    professor says hi 2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 242K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2018

Here are the render passes. (Straight, coverage, post effect, shadow).

Prof says hi.png
    800 x 800 - 247K
    Prof says hi_Coverage.png
    800 x 800 - 34K
    Prof says hi_PostEffect.png
    800 x 800 - 123K
    Prof says hi_Shadow.png
    800 x 800 - 27K
  • Straight Toon filter render.

You really nailed that character, Diomede.  Very creative, yet familiar.  I like the straight toon filter best.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

I HAVE AN IDEA!

...Well, actually, 2.Will start later

edited December 2018
    MAJourney said:

I HAVE AN IDEA!

...Well, actually, 2.Will start later

Excellent, @MAJourney.  Looking forward to your ideas.  

Thanks for your comments on my toon professor, @UnifiedBain and @Bunyip02_Carrara.  After I get the weightmapping sorted out, I plan to make more characters from the same base.

EDIT:  I've created a new version of the base character rigged in Studio, so I have a Carrara bones version and a Studio bones version, both of which load in Carrara.  Will report on comparative performance.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4207241/#Comment_4207241

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Bunyip - your underwater scene is fillin out nicely.  I still wouldn't swim there!

Still Gathering Toon Parody Assets - Suggestions Welcome to Improve My Toon Postwork.  This is an example of using the passes.  For the final, I wn't make the shadows so dark that they blot out everything.

Here is what I did.  I morphed my base toon flat guy and added props (beard, pockets, hat...) to create the archeaologist.  I rendered out multipasses fr th shadow pass, the coverage pass, and the post effect pass.  I rendered using the native Toon filter.  In Photoshop, I combined the coverage pass and the shadow pass using the "darker" function to get outlines and shadows.  I the result as a multiply enhance the toon effect.

Straight Toon filter render.

After using th mltipass to darken the lines and shadows.

Remarkable likeness and nice model!

That kinda creeps me out. lol

edited December 2018

i'm no hair stylist, but here's my attempt at making a spiky hair in he shape of fire.

Capture2.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 875K
    Post edited by VIArts on
    edited December 2018

@VYusur - thanks, the video parody inspires me.  I'm still searching for my own style, but in the meantime I love different toon / comic / caricature approaches.

@MAJourney - thanks.  If the professor toon creeps you out now, wait until the one-eyed evil dude makes his appearance! 

Love your hair.  Here are a couple of unsolicited suggestions regarding the hair shaders.  Read on at your own risk because I am no expert.  One suggestion is that the hair shader can be used for additional styling, and in this case you might consider a small wave and small frizz (experiment and discard if it doesn't work well).  Second, you can place mxers in the channels for the root and tip colors of the hair shader.  You might consider mixing your current tip color with something  yellowish, and then use NATURAL : SPOTS : (around 50), to control the blender for the mixer.  Here is an example of hair grown on the Daz hair cap that I believe shipped with Carrara 8.5 in the object browser under Objects : Hair : Daz.   I am attaching a test render and screencaps of the hair model room and the hair shader tree.  In the hair shader, note that I have placed mixers in the channels for root and tip, and I have nested another mixer in one of the tip mixer channels.  Hope that makes sense with the screenshot.  In my experience, the appearance of hair is very sensitive to the number of lights and the values of the shininess and highlight channels.  Generally, I lower those values the more total light is in the scene.  One final unsolicited note, you can use the multipass renders to aid in the final appearance of your hair.  In particular, I recommend that you include a volumetric primitive pass, which will generate two passes.  In this case, because the hair is the only volume primitive, it generated a render of the hair against a black background (including the mixed hair shaders) and a render of the hair as black against a white backround.  One example, if desired, you could use the black/white pass as a tool to aid selection of your hair in your favorite image editor if you wanted to do some postwork. 

flame hair 01.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
    flame hair model on hair cap.JPG
    1414 x 848 - 141K
    flame hair shader see nested mixers.JPG
    1150 x 883 - 116K
    flame hair multipass.JPG
    1486 x 758 - 82K
    flame hair volume primitive pass.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
    flame hair volume primtive pass more stuff comes with it.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

These are all looking teriffic, great work everyone!

I'm away from my computer until the 26th so no access to Carrara.  :(

I have some ideas about an Air Elemental in the landscape...

Hope everyone enjoys their holiday, wherever you are!!

Thanks Diomede. That looks better than my flat boring shader. lol I'll try it, but my eyes aren't so great with colors and some details

• five elements on the rim

air\chi in the center

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2018

Those Primordial Elements of Conflict and Strife Are On the Rise Again

This is an illustration from a book I am doing.  This particular render gave me a great excuse to use Head Wax's awesome (and free) Storm Creek product (the rain and puddle part).  The morphs are outstanding.  You can make a very fine rain, but I went for one that was thicker and nastier.

All the figures are M3, and the outfits are from Wild West.  The buildings are various structures in the Old West series.  Vicky's brain is used for the background bluffs.

Various objects were modified in the modeling room.  Carrara internal processes include Volumetric Clouds, Displacement, GMIC, and Toon 3.

No postwork.

Polarity Times Carrara Setup.JPG
    1577 x 921 - 404K
    Polarity Times.png
    1600 x 924 - 1M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 2018

Great work from everyone so far - some very inspiring stuff!

I've got an idea for this one and meant to work on it today, until my mom's computer "freaked out" and I had to go do tech support. Turns out the motherboard was bad - or at least that's the most likely issue after about two hours of Google search led troubleshooting and fix attempts. Since it was just a cheap email-and-solitaire desktop and about eight years old I went out and bought her a new one and spent the day tranferring all her files from dropbox (sooo glad I set that up for her, so I didn't have to figure out how to get her files off the old computer which just keeps restarting every few seconds), installing updates and software, etc. Fun. sad

So, hopefully tomorrow I can get something started . laugh

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • MDO2010 said:

I've got an idea for this one and meant to work on it today, until my mom's computer "freaked out" and I had to go do tech support. Turns out the motherboard was bad - or at least that's the most likely issue after about two hours of Google search led troubleshooting and fix attempts. Since it was just a cheap email-and-solitaire desktop and about eight years old I went out and bought her a new one and spent the day tranferring all her files from dropbox (sooo glad I set that up for her, so I didn't have to figure out how to get her files off the old computer which just keeps restarting every few seconds), installing updates and software, etc. Fun. sad

when mine did that it turned out to be a corrupt stick of RAM

These are all looking teriffic, great work everyone!

I'm away from my computer until the 26th so no access to Carrara.  :(

I have some ideas about an Air Elemental in the landscape...

Hope everyone enjoys their holiday, wherever you are!!

Hope your holiday season is full of wonder and joy.

Looking forward to the air elemental.  I went to see a movie the other day, and the showed  preview of another Lego movie sequal - had to think of your spiffy models.  yes

five elements on the rim

air\chi in the center

Excellent.  I will be learning even more with your project, which is always a great thing.  

Those Primordial Elements of Conflict and Strife Are On the Rise Again

This is an illustration from a book I am doing.  This particular render gave me a great excuse to use Head Wax's awesome (and free) Storm Creek product (the rain and puddle part).  The morphs are outstanding.  You can make a very fine rain, but I went for one that was thicker and nastier.

All the figures are M3, and the outfits are from Wild West.  The buildings are various structures in the Old West series.  Vicky's brain is used for the background bluffs.

Various objects were modified in the modeling room.  Carrara internal processes include Volumetric Clouds, Displacement, GMIC, and Toon 3.

No postwork.

Beautiful work, UB.  However, your brains are not unified.  Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.  Very clever of you to make the hills from the brains.  Glad to see use of the volumetric clouds.  Did it give you any trouble?  Any insights on how the fared with the GMIC filters or Toon 3?  Any tips to share?

MDO2010 said:

Well, at least you were able to avoid catastrophic file loss.  My mom uses hers for pretty much the same limited set of functions.  We are trying to transfer her to a tablet. There seems to be more hassle from updates/outdates/virus/installation etc. on her desktop.

Looking forward to your project.  Still lots and lots of time.

MAJourney said:

Thanks Diomede. That looks better than my flat boring shader. lol I'll try it, but my eyes aren't so great with colors and some details

Your hair looks great.  I especially like how the tips have a very natural unevenness.  I was just offering some ideas to experiment with.  

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 2018

So here's mine. I may still play with it a bit if time allows.

"Elements of War (You Sank My Battleship!)"

I used the Ocean primitive for the water and the Fire primitive plus Primovol Rising Smoke for the burning ship. The board is modeled in Carrara (the peg holes are just a texture made in Photoshop) and the ships are all from the included Carrara content. Lighting is an HDRI and I used the Distance Fog under Atmosphere to fade out the background. I threw the wineglass in just to fill in that big empty spot in the background; it's a spline object I made some time ago for another image and had saved in my object tray.

Scene Setup

Carrara Render

Postwork

In Photoshop I used a combination of the cutout and watercolor filters to get a less photorealistic effect, then used the stamp, cutout,and halftone filters to darken the shadows and add lines. I added a light green solid layer on top of that set to color mode at a low transparency to tone the whole image and then painted additional flame and smoke using some of Ron's brushes on top.

Final

SceneSetup.JPG
    1908 x 1057 - 225K
    Render001.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 491K
    ScenePostwork.JPG
    1414 x 852 - 214K
    FinalwPostwork.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Looking forward to the air elemental.  I went to see a movie the other day, and the showed  preview of another Lego movie sequal - had to think of your spiffy models.  yes

Aww, thanks Diomede. My idea already evolved into something else. Have to wait to get home to see if I can find some really, really old drawings before I go any further. May be able to post a crude pencil sketch from here at my Mom's...

No postwork.

That looks great UnifiedBrain! Vicky's Brain? Very clever. I've never used the figures, do they actually come with internal organs or do you buy that seperately?

MDO2010 said:

So here's mine. I may still play with it a bit if time allows.

"Elements of War (You Sank My Battleship!)"

I used the Ocean primitive for the water and the Fire primitive plus Primovol Rising Smoke for the smoke. The board is modeled in Carrara (the peg holes are just a texture made in Photoshop) and the ships are all from the included Carrara content. Lighting is an HDRI and I used the Distance Fog under Atmosphere to fade out the background. I threw the wineglass in just to fill in that big empty spot in the background; it's a spline object I made some time ago for another image and had saved in my object tray.

Awesome idea, scene and use of elements in Carrara MDO2010!

edited December 2018

@MDO2010 - I loved that game when I was little!  Love it.  

Very cool use of objects from the browser.  We've had some challengs to use that stuff.  

One minor suggestion, completely unnecessary, and just confirms what a game nerd I was, but maybe you can place some "hit" cylinders on the sinking ship like the game, even if it is just columns of smoke?  Can definitel understand if you don't want something like that because we are seeing the ocean through imagination, but it came to mind.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2018

Beautiful work, UB.  However, your brains are not unified.

Thanks Diomede!  Yes, the brains are not unified, and that is the point.  The book will provide context to help recognize the elements in the render, but without that context, the elements are probably less obvious.  The render reflects the division in society we currently experience, through the metaphor of an old West setting.  And further, the theory is that the hyperpolarization we experience today originates from a breakdown in brain hemisphere cooperation.  In other words, the polarization within directly influences the polarization without.

Very clever of you to make the hills from the brains. 

That looks great UnifiedBrain! Vicky's Brain? Very clever. I've never used the figures, do they actually come with internal organs or do you buy that seperately?

Thanks guys.  The idea was to make the brain look like hills, yet still be recognizable as brain hemispheres.  DesertDude, Daz Brain (which fits V4 and M4) is a separate product.  I think that it was the very first product I ever bought from Daz, as I have been involved in researching how the brain works for a long time.

Diomede, I am unsure how to answer your other questions.  For me, every render is difficult to a degree.  GMIC was limited to B&W and contrast.  Toon 3 generally applied well to the whole render, but as you know, the line effect can sometimes be too thick, and the toon effect too blocky.  Both effects were either reduced or excluded in the M3 characters (but not the clothing) and on a couple of other things, for purposes of making those items appear less muddy looking.

The fact that we can adjust the degree of toon effect on individual items in Carrara, is a tremendously valuable tool, at least for me.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

I love the game battleship!

heart

and blackhats v whitehats

how cool is that!

I love the game battleship!

heart

and blackhats v whitehats

how cool is that!

+1 yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

ah I missed al the latest posts. Be back after the season is less festive PS UB brilliant work - thanks for doing that!

• an overall view and five views from element to element.

chinese elements1 small.png
    1750 x 1313 - 3M
    chinese elements1 Earth to Fire.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    chinese elements1 Metal to Earth.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    chinese elements1 Water to Metal.png
    1280 x 960 - 956K
    chinese elements1 Wood to Water.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    chinese elements1 Fire to Wood.png
    1280 x 960 - 982K